Tip.It Times Presents: Growing Pains

Kiara_Kat

LOL, cross platform and browser agnostic. big laugh.

guess they gotta shole up the scum suckers from the bottom of the swamp if no one else does, right? lmao.

one day mate, when ALL other games are moving along - and your vision is going due to these bad graphics ... one day, lol.

i did not say the gameplay is bad. its quite entertaining. but the graphics compared to many and in the near future most all games out there, this one will be found wanting.

period.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well writen, however i think jagex should still focus on younger children, and both older. I myself am 17 years old and play runescape for about 5 years, though i'm not addicted or something to runescape. I just like to play this game, Im just back from a 4 month retire wich i needed to really enjoy runescape again. Most of my friends say runescape is crap and dumb because the graphics are really bad, though i like runescape because its runescape. A easy to play mmoprg. If jagex starts making runescape 16 + they'll have to "fight" world of warcraft.

Most people think the f2p is bad, expecially members. But it brings money in jagex' pocket wich means more updates and a improvement of the game. Its also the big diffrence between world of warcraft and runescape, since world of warcraft doesn't have f2p worlds.

And if you think about the price it aint really that much. like 60 $ a year wich is like 45 euro. The same price of a computer game like "doom 3" "medal of honour" etc. But i have way more time fun on runescape than on medal of honour because it usually takes me 1 day ( approx 10 hours) to complete the game. And lets be honest, i play way more than 10 hours a year on runescape :-# .. . . . . . . . .

~I Xyzyx I~

~~ I Xyzyx I ~~ 99 attack ~~

98/99 strenght

92/99 defence

58/80 prayer

former 70 def pker, about to become a ownage mb beast

A couple of posts up someone mentioned the future of runescapes developement in relation to its survival among other MMORPGs, and while not strictly part of the topic, future runescape updates are interesting to think about. Personly I think runescape 2 has reached the end of its run - just as clasic did a while ago (shown by the graphic updates, which while brighter and more colourfull, are no way better quality in terms of resolution or quality). therefore the logical step would be RS3 with a better graphic engine. In terms of runescapes enviroment, i think that these 1 island increses are getting abit old, and RS3 would have to be quickly followed by a new continent about the size of the F2P map to explore. As for gameplay i think that most people think its perfect already, althogh I personly seriously hope they stop with this 'makeover mage' spree, and launch a crusade against the god auful message 'Nothing interesting happens'. Yes it dose, the game just dosnt know what happens, and jagex needs to fix that. With the amount of programming that goes into a quest Jagex could probably create several hundred of these tiny changes. take a month out of giving us baby updates and that could add up to over a thousand situations without the horrible phrase 'Nothing interesting happens'. :wall:

Zzzz... No more about Jagex and their really badly run company. I dont care about Jagex and trying to pull them apart to figure out whats wrong. Talk about Runescape and in game stuff and interview thats what is interesting.

I couldnt even finish this one, didnt grab my interest.

smickdeath.gif

Hmmm - don't moan at the editor just because you didnt like it. I and many others thought it was a great artical - personly i thought it was much better than the interveiw articals (I mean - just because i play the same game as them don't mean i want to know about how they got into runescape and such). Basicaly if u want to voice your opinion do it politly, and preferably backed up with reasons.

Yeah, it went over my head. I'm not a child but I know nothing about business.

I know nothing about business, but I loved this article. I thought it was an idea clearly put, and even if I didn't get all the references, it was in layman's terms and very well done.

Editor- excellent, excellent job! I'd been reading your last few articles and wondering why I had thought you were so great, (Yeah, sorry :oops: ) but this was an outstanding piece. I had also been thinking of writing my own rant along the kiddie-audience-move on the official forums, but now I don't feel like I need to :P This is vastly better than I could have done anyway. Keep it up!

• 4 months later...

I am proud of Jagex for how far they have came. I have watched runescape grow since March 21st, 2001. Sadly enough, in mid 2005, I have noticed an increase in obsessive players and bots as well as company growth. I have my susspissions that Jagex may be involved with ebay auctions on runescape things. I would be in great sorrow to find out that Jagex really holds other bots to a double standard. I have never used bots and NEVER will. I am currently working on a crusade on my alt, Quli Qutb to end the bot occupation of runescape! Condemn the bots and Jagex if they purposely strip us of our yews, laws, rune essence, mages and ores/bars!

Remember the old days of runescape, where bots were rare and phats were 2.5m!

I am proud of Jagex for how far they have came. I have watched runescape grow since March 21st, 2001. Sadly enough, in mid 2005, I have noticed an increase in obsessive players and bots as well as company growth. I have my susspissions that Jagex may be involved with ebay auctions on runescape things. I would be in great sorrow to find out that Jagex really holds other bots to a double standard. I have never used bots and NEVER will. I am currently working on a crusade on my alt, Quli Qutb to end the bot occupation of runescape! Condemn the bots and Jagex if they purposely strip us of our yews, laws, rune essence, mages and ores/bars!

Hi CJH,

I applaud your stance against players who break the rules and who show no regard for the game they share with other players. I'm afraid though, that what you've herd in regard to Jagex not being completely against this illegal trade, is a baseless accusation, and merely rumour.

As some know eBay has delisted all Intellectual Property (IP) auctions, where that IP belongs to another agent or company:

Further from the initial report from Slashdot above CNet reported that Edward Castronova, a professor of telecommunications at Indiana University and the author of Synthetic Worlds: The Business and Culture of Online Games, says the motivation behind eBay's move is not that simple.

Apart from very limited exceptions, such as Linden Lab's "Second Life" and games like Sony's "EverQuest II" , or Entropia Universe, the majority of MMOs will not allow any trading of Items due to a plethora of real life issues and complications. As the eBay spokesperson commented elsewhere, though Second Life items can still be traded on eBay there is a real question as to whether Second Life can be considered a game. Increasingly governments and law enforcement are moving into it's "Second Life's" virtual space, which seems to back the analysis that any company that permits Real World Trading is not making a game, but an extension of the real world with associated financial, social, legal and criminal issues.

Jagex clearly states in "Rule 12 - Real World Trading" it does not support the exchange of RuneScape Items or Gold for real world monies.

Why do we have this rule?

We have this rule for three reasons: Firstly because we donÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t want RuneScape to be just a game in which you can buy your way to success, if we let players start doing this it devalues the game for other players. We feel your status in real-life shouldnÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t affect your ability to be successful in the game. Secondly we cannot monitor the transactions made between players outside the game, and if players swap items for external benefits we canÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t see, to us it looks like an unbalanced suspicious trade. Thirdly, often when players attempt to break this rule and sell items for real cash the items are actually stolen, so you could even end up getting in trouble for receiving stolen property. If you purchased an account you might find it suddenly returned to the original rightful owner and yourself out of pocket.

So Jagex is adamantly against the sale of RuneScape Items & Gold, so I see no reason to give further credence to what is nothing more than rumours with no foundation.

It makes no sense to claim such things when clearly it is not in the interest of the majority of these online game developers, including Jagex, to promote themselves as other than entertainment products for social gamers. Anyone who claims this trade has a legal status, or that Real Money Traders aren't violating Intellectual Property laws, not to mention the rules, are obviously intent on breaking these laws and rules.

Looking reports of actual incidents of fraud in unregulated exchange of virtual items or currency reveals much more sinister under-tones of organised criminal activity. Already the Korean & Chinese governments are awake to the potential for illegal activity. In order to protect the online gaming industry Korea has introduced legislation against use of game exploits (inc. botting) violations of which can result in up to a $50,000 fine or 5 years jail. In China there has been prosecutions for 'virtual property theft'.

And for those who do not take dangerous potential of such Cybercrime seriously, the estimated millions of dollars traded currently via 'virtual items' in many MMOGs are a perfect playground for gangs who already operate and conduct their activities primarily via the Internet. With gangs like these Real World Trading is not the kind of activity neither Jagex, nor we as players, would want in RuneScape.

If there is any way you feel that Jagex can combat this problem or if you have sensitive information that might lead to the prosecution of these rule-breakers, they are very keen to hear from rule-abiding players like yourself. Send them the information via a confidential query from the "Comment on our service" link found on their main page.

I agree with you that the selling of RuneScape Items & Gold is a great concern for all players of RuneScape, as it creates the bot problem we see, and allows those who purchase such things to gain an unfair advantage in the game. It's an issue in which Jagex needs the whole player community to be active against, in order to effectively combat this illegal trade.

See my post on Page 6 for the detailed response I've already made to this article, which I agree has been good for debate though hardly conclusive in terms of the future of RuneScape.

Regards, Fey.

feywarriorgreenlu9.gif

banneruh3.jpg