Runescape....Educational or not?

garrett1415

Even then, all you learn in the linguistic department are swear words, 1337speech and slang..

Other than the leetspeak, that's all I hear in the common room at college...

:roll:

I still maintain that whilst RuneScape isn't educational per say, you can learn things during your time playing. I was an awful typist when I started, i'm pretty damn fast now.

'Rock Hard' boss pure - 60/60 Attack | 99/99 Range | 1/1 Defence | 44/44 Prayer | 99/99 Strength | 99/99 Mage - level 79 combat EOC

## '07 Server ## "Best Runescape update ever: Removing 6 years of updates."

Rock_Hard.png

"Warning: If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all that claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think every thing you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told to want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned- Tyler"

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Educational, in terms of content, no.

But if your main language is not english, you learn lots of words. I'm french, and I learned a lot of words in my years of Rs.

If your main language is english, then u wont learn anything, or hardly.

I hope to god people don't learn their English from RS, or we will have lots of people that can only write bad English or leetspeak in the future.

1 |c/\/0\/\/ \/\/H47 Y0[_] R 74l|c1/\/G 4B0[_]7, /\/\4/\/ 7H47 \/\/0[_]|) B3 H0RR1Bl3, \/\/0[_]l|)/\/'7 17?

:P

(Translation: I know what you are talking about, man that would be horrible, wouldn't it?)

--

I wouldn't say it'll teach you the BEST English out there, but it would teach you a good deal of it, that I can say.

------

I think Runescape is useful in a few educational ways:

1. Teaching about things like various obscure English words (from quests and the like) that you wouldn't get in most language classes. For instance, "coal", "steel", and "smith" aren't really taught in a language class. I learned the meaning of the word "Fletch" and it's derivatives.

2. Teaching basic social networking skills. I was a social mess when I first joined Runescape, it helped me adjust and gain the social skills that have now made me numerous friends.

3. It taught me the coal to iron ratio in most stock steel (2:1), which actually carries over to real life (my History teacher was surprised I knew this, and I was the only one in several hundred who did).

Other then that, you'd be much better looking up those things (other then the social networking, which is more of a socially gained skill then anything else).

Of course runescape is educational but it SHOULDN'T be used as a substitute for ACTUAL education, glad i cleared that up ::'

hows the weather up there. where the rich people live. currently, in the poor area its -1.

Even then, all you learn in the linguistic department are swear words, 1337speech and slang..

I still maintain that whilst RuneScape isn't educational per say, you can learn things during your time playing. I was an awful typist when I started, i'm pretty damn fast now.

But at least you learn proper pronunciation, if you want to learn the language. And I have to agree with you there on the typing part: playing MMORPGs have increased my typing speed by a lot.

Why do you resist? My experiments are only helping humanity push the boundaries of the Art of Toxicology... you should be proud to be one of my victims.

~Toxicologist~

But at least you learn proper pronunciation, if you want to learn the language. And I have to agree with you there on the typing part: playing MMORPGs have increased my typing speed by a lot.

Typing speed has nothing to do with education.

Typing speed has nothing to do with education.

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source

edÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâ÷uÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâ÷caÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâ÷tion [ej-oo-key-shuhn] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãânoun

1. the act or process of imparting or acquiring general knowledge, developing the powers of reasoning and judgment, and generally of preparing oneself or others intellectually for mature life.

2. the act or process of imparting or acquiring particular knowledge or skills, as for a profession.

3. a degree, level, or kind of schooling: a university education.

4. the result produced by instruction, training, or study: to show one's education.

5. the science or art of teaching; pedagogics.

I beg to differ.

As an aside, if learning to type were not relevent to education, why did a third of my year 7-8 ICT classes in school consist of typing training?

Training, I may add, that hardly helped me at all - Until I started playing MMO's.

<.<

'Rock Hard' boss pure - 60/60 Attack | 99/99 Range | 1/1 Defence | 44/44 Prayer | 99/99 Strength | 99/99 Mage - level 79 combat EOC

## '07 Server ## "Best Runescape update ever: Removing 6 years of updates."

Rock_Hard.png

"Warning: If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all that claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think every thing you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told to want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned- Tyler"

Typing courses are just plain useless. MMOs are the way to go. You learn without even trying.

But seriously. I stand by my point: playing Runescape is a very poor way to educate yourself. I mean, you would only use typing skills when you are using a computer, and it can hardly apply to real life. If your work involves typing, then most likely you could type pretty fast just after a month of work. So no, Runescape is not educational, any educational value it holds is minimal and negligible.

Why do you resist? My experiments are only helping humanity push the boundaries of the Art of Toxicology... you should be proud to be one of my victims.

~Toxicologist~

Typing courses are just plain useless. MMOs are the way to go. You learn without even trying.

But seriously. I stand by my point: playing Runescape is a very poor way to educate yourself. I mean, you would only use typing skills when you are using a computer, and it can hardly apply to real life. If your work involves typing, then most likely you could type pretty fast just after a month of work. So no, Runescape is not educational, any educational value it holds is minimal and negligible.

Being able to put that you can typed 70 wpm on your resume is will give you a much better chance of being hired for a job that requires typing than starting at 45 wpm and building the skill at work.

Look, if your mom still drops you off at school, you ain't gangsta, pull up your damn pants!

142qvyv.jpg

3 down, 7 to go

Runescape is a great way to expand your english vocabulary when it isn't your motherlanguage.

I also got a better insight in economics. The whole rs community comes close to real life...

Th3_C4bb4g3.png

Th3_C4bb4g3.png

Th3_C4bb4g3.png

- Back to casual f2p scaping due to limited time (university and girlfriend <3:) -

It's amazing what most people actually think education means...

Copied straight from a similar post in the Rants forum:

Back on-topic, as far as I can see, RS is a just a big mess when it comes to its age group and whether or not it's educational. The 'Tower of Life' quest has a very anti-vivisection theme, yet they release a skill that involves the killing of animals for hides. The two contradict each other. My personal opinion on this issue is unimportant on the grander scheme of things, but it gives a very mixed image.

Just a note on what 'educated' actually means. It doesn't merely mean 'knowledgable', it means being able to question the things that exist in the world around you, and to explore them more deeply. If someone is educated, they question the things they are knowledgable in. A professor isn't educated because he's an expert in his area of expertise, he's educated because he reads and explores his special area and researches deeper into it. Given that, I can't see how Jagex have made RS educational. They seem to have mixed education up with indoctrination. They claim they've made the game educated merely because they've put lots of real-life issues into the game, but in reality RS couldn't be further from educational. For example, we're not really allowed to question anything that Jagex do on their official forums. When it comes to matters such as politics and religion - slightly more significant real-life issues, we're not actually allowed to discuss those things on the forums.

In conclusion, RS isn't educational - it's just injected with the designers' personal views, and a few mechanisms (such as money) that exist in every other game anyway.

if non english people learn english from runescape, maybe when jagex realeases new language versions we can learn those languages! release a french version for us jagex!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I believe it is in more ways than you think, here's a little story :)

I had a Science test on the elements. I didn't study cause I wanted to play RuneScape and I knew I'd get an A easily. So come test, I couldn't remember one question (Yeah, this dumb but oh well) "What do you combine to make Bronze?" And after a while I remembered from being level 3 that Tin and Copper make bronze... I got it right :mrgreen:

So anyway, though we don't think about it RuneScape teaches us a lot

runey676.png

whatcolor_isblue.jpg

I believe it is in more ways than you think, here's a little story :)

I had a Science test on the elements. I didn't study cause I wanted to play RuneScape and I knew I'd get an A easily. So come test, I couldn't remember one question (Yeah, this dumb but oh well) "What do you combine to make Bronze?" And after a while I remembered from being level 3 that Tin and Copper make bronze... I got it right :mrgreen:

So anyway, though we don't think about it RuneScape teaches us a lot

I don't believe you.

For one thing: Bronze is not JUST made of copper and tin. Second: Bronze does not NEED to be made of copper and tin. It certainly needs copper, but tin is just a very popular additive, and even then it needs to be mixed with other elements like phosphorus. You don't NEED to add tin for it, and in cases where you did add it, that isn't enough.

Oh and lastly? I doubt any school would make such a stupid question as "How do you make bronze". It is hardly relevant, even when you are studying alloys. There is also the fact that you said "Science Test". That implies you have not reached the stage where it branches into Biology, Chemistry and Physics. I doubt they will teach alloys until you begin studying each branch by itself.

Conclusion: I think you are just pulling out false testimonies to justify yourself.

~Toxicologist~

i also learned how to type a lot better than when they taught at school, although differently than the way they tried.

you can learn a bit about mythology and things like that, but otherwise you shouldn't even be playing a game like this one to learn, as it exists to entertain, not teach, unless you're learning english (and now german).

I don't believe you.

For one thing: Bronze is not JUST made of copper and tin. Second: Bronze does not NEED to be made of copper and tin. It certainly needs copper, but tin is just a very popular additive, and even then it needs to be mixed with other elements like phosphorus. You don't NEED to add tin for it, and in cases where you did add it, that isn't enough.

Oh and lastly? I doubt any school would make such a stupid question as "How do you make bronze". It is hardly relevant, even when you are studying alloys. There is also the fact that you said "Science Test". That implies you have not reached the stage where it branches into Biology, Chemistry and Physics. I doubt they will teach alloys until you begin studying each branch by itself.

Conclusion: I think you are just pulling out false testimonies to justify yourself.

On his behalf, in my 7th grade Science class some years ago, we were in a class discussion and the question of what the main components of bronze are. I'm sure I "should" have known from my text book and whatnot, but due to RuneScape, I took a bit of an educated guess. Obviously, smithing all night will not help you on a science quiz, but occasionally some random tidbit can point you in the right direction.

RuneScape isn't educational in the "It broadens your horizons" type of sense, but it does improve typing skills, math skills (Even if you don't think about it), money-management (An important life skill), and to some degree, teamwork (Another important life skill). Don't expect to learn about the Treaty of Paris from RuneScape, but perhaps you can learn to manage your money.

blackmbnaval,Mc%20Comix%20Yo.gif

Mc%20Comix%20Yo.gif

And we've discussed whether or not we should give clean needles to drug takers in Biology. That doesn't mean it is going to be in an exam. It is just random discussions.

~Toxicologist~

hmm, well i cant really say it is, because i know many people that play IRL that became less intelligent from playing, but i guess in some ways it can be, like little kids learning what lol means and learning to fight just to kill someone for their stuff, and beat innocent animals to death just so they can drop their stuff and what not. yeah.. very educational. (note the sarcasm)

99 Fletching 99 Attack 99 Constitution 99 Cooking 99 Strength

Gamertag: H8tebringer

h8tebringer-siggy-bloodskull-1.jpg

well some parts of rs... like the market...

gives good insight in economie....

new items how they are pricy and a week/month later how they are cheap and stuff thats educational rest is fun :P

RSN:neovenator

proud fire cape owner

proud fighter torso owner

well some parts of rs... like the market...

gives good insight in economie....

new items how they are pricy and a week/month later how they are cheap and stuff thats educational rest is fun :P

See, this I don't understand. The idea that the RS economy compares to the Real World's economy. The two are like chalk and cheese...