Computer fan speed

harryp0tt3rules

My computer has a program that monitors the CPU's fan speed/ temperature.

I monitor it, checking to make sure my computer is cleaned well ( from my perspective, if the computer is cleaned well, the temperature will be lower from the low level of dust)<-does work.

Well, over the weekend, the speed on the fans has been a bit higher than I can remember it being

They are:

System fan 1

System Fan 2

Processor Zone

I was just wondering if anyone could determine if this was too high, or if I should even worry if they go higher, is it normal? or not?

Thanks, I will provide any more info if you need it, just tell me what!

I would think it is relative as long as it cools your computer ok and the noise level is good enough for you. It is a defiantly a bit high compared to most computers idle speed but I wouldn't worry about it unless if isn't sufficient to cool your computer. There is a lot of reasons for the fan speed increasing like increased room temp or what you suggested, more dust but it shouldn't have any dramatic effect. Some things that would change it drastically would be if one of the fans failed or the temperature meter is failing. If you think they sound like jet engines then you should look into what is the reason is.

I've had fans that go ~4800 RPM. Whether it's too high or not will depend on the size of the fan as well as your noise tolerance. Looking at those speeds I wouldn't have thought anything was wrong.

fractalsignature2lq4.jpg

You're plenty fine. My laptop runs ~6100 RPM when Runescape is up.

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

8,325th to 99 Firemaking 3/9/08 | 44,811th to 99 Cooking 7/16/08

4,968th to 99 Farming 10/9/09 | Runescaper August 2005-March 2010

Tip.it Mod Feb. 2008-Sep. 2008 | Tip.it Crew Sep. 2008-Nov. 2009

6100 RPM? Now that is high for a laptop... When I said one of mine ran at 4800 that was an aftermarket, high powered 80mm fan which was very noisy. I'd be very surprised if your laptop one did run at 6100 RPM.

fractalsignature2lq4.jpg

Load, ambient temperature etc. can all alter the speed - I can ALWAYS hear when I have a sustained load peak, as my CPU fan goes to max.

Laptop fans probably do go faster, as they are weedy little 60mm or 40mm, and skinny as well - you cannot make an efficient fan that size

It is intel or amd?

you said it monitored temperatures? What're the temps?

My Amd X2 4200 usually runs 30-40 Celsius but a (much more knowledgeable) friend has vouched I'd be fine at even 90

It is intel or amd?

you said it monitored temperatures? What're the temps?

My Amd X2 4200 usually runs 30-40 Celsius but a (much more knowledgeable) friend has vouched I'd be fine at even 90

Its intel I think, as the program is " Intel active monitor"

Temps are about

35 C in processor zone

And in system zone 1+2 26 and 28 in their respective order.

When playing RS, the temps do rise about 10 degrees F( i just changed them at the time, as you posted in celcius, just to make sure we were on the same page)

Just as some proof:

6200RPM.jpg

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

8,325th to 99 Firemaking 3/9/08 | 44,811th to 99 Cooking 7/16/08

4,968th to 99 Farming 10/9/09 | Runescaper August 2005-March 2010

Tip.it Mod Feb. 2008-Sep. 2008 | Tip.it Crew Sep. 2008-Nov. 2009

Im having this exact suspicion about my laptop. It just to be damn near silent and now it sounds like a plane taking off and the underside is hot (espically when running programs with a lot of CPU usage like Runescape). Its reset a few times from overheating (I'm guessing) and its only 6 months old!

Any ideas what I could do to relieve this problem?

Im having this exact suspicion about my laptop. It just to be damn near silent and now it sounds like a plane taking off and the underside is hot (espically when running programs with a lot of CPU usage like Runescape). Its reset a few times from overheating (I'm guessing) and its only 6 months old!

Have you ever cleaned out the fans? Also, if you elevate the laptop so that the bottom fan has nothing right under it, it can get more air, which cools it down.

runemsanta,nomar4.gif

Get some compressed air (compressed air tank, can bought from Walmart, ect.) and blow out any dust threw the fan vents. You can blow it out in both direction (intake and exhaust) and it should clean it out fairly well.

If blowing the dust out and setting it on a hard, flat surface doesn't help cooling, you may have some fan problems and should get it looked at by a shop.

Get some compressed air (compressed air tank, can bought from Walmart, ect.) and blow out any dust threw the fan vents. You can blow it out in both direction (intake and exhaust) and it should clean it out fairly well.

If blowing the dust out and setting it on a hard, flat surface doesn't help cooling, you may have some fan problems and should get it looked at by a shop.

Those things cost $6-10 each at best buy :evil:

You can find them at Walmart and other stores for a couple dollars less than that. BestBuy is generally a rip off. An example being ethernet cables - 25ft cable - $22.99 at Bestbuy, or $9 after shipping off Newegg.

Even for $6-10, it's better than not dusting it out and being stuck with a hot, unstable or unusable machine that could cost you much more for a hardware failure. :P

You can find them at Walmart and other stores for a couple dollars less than that. BestBuy is generally a rip off. An example being ethernet cables - 25ft cable - $22.99 at Bestbuy, or $9 after shipping off Newegg.

Even for $6-10, it's better than not dusting it out and being stuck with a hot, unstable or unusable machine that could cost you much more for a hardware failure. :P

I know, we found it at sams club (after getting it at best buy) for 6 for $18. Of course, office max had it at the same price (even more) than best buy