A (Semi-)Legal Question for Y'all

Errdoth

First, a little background:

A week ago, our literature teacher asigned us to work on a group advertising project for a small novella that was designed to sell the book. A few friends of mine and I asked her if we could do a video advertisement. She said: "Sure, be as creative as you can." We made the project, and after her showing it on the projector (a bit embarrasing, but, meh), I asked the people who were in it if they would object to me putting it on youtube. None of them had any objections. I then rephrased and asked if any of their parents would have an objection (Us being 7th graders), and they all said no. I went home, and put the video on youtube. The next day, we were joking about it, as they didn't think I was serious, and one of the other kids in the class overheard. He, being the idiot, popular kid that he was, decided to show the video off in technology class. Now the technology teacher got really mad, and asked who did this. His response: "Sean"(that's me ;))

Now:

Ever since that incident (I wasn't in the class at the time), which was three days ago, I and friends have steered clear of her, as she is obviously pissed at us. Now there is a rumor (but a big and believable rumor nonetheless) that she is going to give us all detentions, which would kick me off as student government president. I am fairly certain that she has no right to privvy herself to what I do after school, as it is not her responsibility, because we did not mention the school, nor any names of students or staff; so I don't think she has any right to punish us. What should I do if she does, though?

Help me?

--Errdoth

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think that you have anything to worry about. They can't do anything to you if you were legally allowed to do it, although your friend may get in trouble for going onto innapropriate sites in the Comp. Lab.

~~Let The Dragon ride again, on the winds of time~~

dragonrebornkr1.jpg

I've always felt as if I'm the only person who can understand the concept of sarcasm on the internet.

When I get unfair detentions I talk to the principal, and let them know I'm serious about the issue. They normally take it back, or if they don't I just schedule another meeting with him/her. Always worked for me :-w

redbullsigortiz.jpg

I don't think you've done anything illegal but you have to remember that internally schools are a law unto themselves. If they want to give you detention for that they most likely can and will.

wild_bunch.gif

He who learns must suffer, and, even in our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart,

and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.

- Aeschylus (525 BC - 456 BC)

You didn't do anything wrong legally so, unless you broke a school rule, she can't punish you. If she does, just discuss it with the school principal or talk to a teacher that you get along with for advice.

You hve done nothing wrong...tell your teacher to take that stick out....as you have stated that you did not mention any names of the people in the video or the schools names...and you had permission from your peers to post the video..you have nothing to worry about...so tell your teacher to *stick that in her juice box and suck it..*

It Makes me mad when adults (Me being an adult) act to stupidly to little kids...and as your the president, you are obviously Mature enough from what i can see and by the way you acted...your teacher is just being a *Insert word*

heartless619.png

IGNORE THESE FOUR WORDS

banneruh3.jpg

First, a little background:

A week ago, our literature teacher asigned , technology class. Now the technology teacher got really mad,

--Errdoth

also...wtf is ur techno teacher getting mad about? she didnt assign the assignment....if any1 should be mad its your peers for posting it..but you already had there permission...god teachers are dumb sometimes..

heartless619.png

IGNORE THESE FOUR WORDS

banneruh3.jpg

therefore you have done nothing wrong

Exactly so, but when/if (most likely when) she "punishes" us, and when I bluntly refuse to remove the video (which has happened in the past, an eight grader got a detention and removed a youtube video from the same teacher), what should I do?

Also, the principal is a 70+ year old nun, who has never touched a computer, and will consider: "An unsafe act of immaturity, who knows how many people could watch it" grounds for punishment.

(That quote was a derivative of my own mind and was never said aloud :))

If you get a detention for it, talk to the principal and tell him that its censorship, and if the detention is enforced, you'll sue the school!!

Only kidding of course!

99 HP, Attack, Strength, Defence, Summoning, Ranged, Herblore, Prayer, Agility, Magic, Slayer, Fletching, Fishing, Woodcutting, Mining, and Thieving.

Jagex'd out of my untrimmed hp cape on 6/14/2011.

therefore you have done nothing wrong

Exactly so, but when/if (most likely when) she "punishes" us, and when I bluntly refuse to remove the video (which has happened in the past, an eight grader got a detention and removed a youtube video from the same teacher), what should I do?

Also, the principal is a 70+ year old nun, who has never touched a computer, and will consider: "An unsafe act of immaturity, who knows how many people could watch it" grounds for punishment.

(That quote was a derivative of my own mind and was never said aloud :))

Freedom of Speech..tell her she is interfering with your freedom of speech...that should shut her trap once and for all...and first off *understand what im about to say...* Try NOT to beat up that lil snitch because then you will get worse punishment...

heartless619.png

IGNORE THESE FOUR WORDS

banneruh3.jpg

It's a private school, they have their own rules and regulations and many, many(even more than in public schools) of your rights are disabled while in that school. If they want to punish you they can.

A lesson learned through experience.

Of course you should look through your handbook and check if you've broken any rule. Always try and fight it if you're right(to a point) :)

It's a private school, they have their own rules and regulations and many, many(even more than in public schools) of your rights are disabled while in that school. If they want to punish you they can.

True, but only if he broke a rule. You can't punish without a reason.

A lesson learned through experience.

Of course you should look through your handbook and check if you've broken any rule. Always try and fight it if you're right(to a point) :)

Does the school really retain any right to moderate my after-school business? God, I hope my parents didn't agree to that in kindergarten.

In public school it would be a stretch to punish you for out-of-school activities.

Private schools aren't government run institutions, so don't expect any slack. The administration's word is law.