Runecrafting Without ABYSS

Bodito

~~ A RuneCrafting Guide Without the Abyss ~~

Now, I personally love the Abyss, and have made over 100,000 natures through the Abyss. However, I've leveled my combat level so that I can wear the coveted Barrows armor, and I've found that it's becoming harder and harder to find a suitable world where there are no PKers around my combat level.

Thus, I went in search of an alternate route, and came up with facts that make the Abyss not so valuble anymore for mid level crafters. For instance, I can craft Cosmics as fast as Abyss runners can Without using the Abyss.

Hope that sparked your attention!

The Abyss.

To give a frame of refrence, most Abyss runs range from 1:30 - 2:00 minutes, depending on how much of the total distance is being run/walked. An Abyss runner who runs the entire time will, for the most part, be able to hold a 1:30 trip time. A person who only runs in the Abyss and the wildy will have about a 1:50+ trip time. They will also have to put out food to heal themselves and will often lose time to world switching to avoid those peksy Abyss PKers. (Hah, I'm destroying that business, I hope!)

But Let's begin with the basics.

REMEMBER TO WEAR YOUR TIARAS! BECAUSE YOU ARE NOT GOING THROUGH THE ABYSS YOU MUST BE ABLE TO ACCESS THE ALTAR!

Basic Picture Guide

1. The Yellow (this hardtosee color) Box will (for the most part) represent the altar that does not appear on the minimap.

2. The paths leading off of the altars are the possible routes that can be taken to reach your destination, the altar.

3. The running times will be listed from fastest to slowest. I will be listing the times as well.

***4. All times listed will be if you run CONSTANTLY.

5. NOTE: Due to the fact that Yellow is a hard color to read, I will not be using it, when I color code the routes in the text here.

SECTIONS

1.1 - Air Running

1.2 - Mind Running

1.3 - Water Running

1.4 - Earth Running

1.5 - Fire Running

1.6 - Body Running

1.7 - Cosmic Running

1.8 - Chaos Running

1.9 - Astral Running

2.0 - Nature running

2.1 - Law Running

2.2 - Death Running

1.1 Air Running

Air-justoutsideofthetemple.jpg

The Yellow path

~ 1:00 min ~ Time From Falador East Bank to Altar, then Fally Tele back.

~ 1:18 min ~ Time From Falador East Bank to Altar, then Run Back

The Blue path

~ 1:26 min ~ Time From CW to Balloon, to Crafting route, to altar, then teleporting back to CW.

-----Requirements: Completion of An Enlightened Journey Quest. Also, an Oak log must be burned each trip (along with a tinderbox to burn it.)

Additionally for air crafting, if you go to world 16 (see a Post on the Runescape forums for details) you can craft many airs very quickly and profit, and is even used by some players to achieve 99 runecrafting.

1.2 Mind Running

Mind-justoutsideofit.jpg

The Yellow Path

~ 1:20 min ~ Start at Edgeville, Run to Wildy (must go through level 5 Wildy) and head west until you reach the spot in the picture. Craft, then Glory back.

-----Requirements: Enough Glory Amulets.

The Purple Path - (I prefer this path, as it uses less energy to Edgeville run)

~ 1:20 min ~ Start in Goblin Village, go north, WEST from where you teleported to get to the wilderness (you will pass a chaos altar.) Then Run East a little until you see Altar. Teleport to somewhere there's a bank, preferably Edgeville.

-----Requirements: Completion of Another Slice of Ham. Tele orbs (from ASoH quest.)

The Cyan Path

~ 1:35 min ~ Walk from West Falador Bank to Altar, then Tele back to Falador.

~ 2:20 min ~ Walk from West Falador Bank to Altar, then Walk back.

1.3 Water Running

Water-Justoutsideofit.jpg

NOTE: Sorry they are the same color, just refer to what I typed for reference.

The Right Path

~ 1:05 min ~ Teleport to Lumbridge, walk through the graveyard, past the Lost City Shed, and to the Altar. Tele using Glory(Edgeville)/Dueling Ring (CW)

The Left Path (wrong, har har har.)

~ 1:20 min ~ Start in Draynor, walk SE to altar, craft, Glory back to Draynor

-----Requirements: Glory Amulets

~ 2:00 min ~ Start in Draynor, walk SE to altar, craft, then walk back.

1.4 Earth Running

Earth-Justoutsideofit.jpg

The Cyan Path

~ 1:00 min ~ Start in CW, use balloon to Varrok, Craft, Tele to CW.

-----Requirements: Completion of An Enlightened Journey (tinderbox and Willow log also required). Dueling Rings.

The Blue Path

~ 1:05 min ~ From Varrok East bank, head East to Altar, Tele back to Varrok, and run to East bank.

~ 1:20 min ~ From Varrok East bank, head East to Altar, run back to bank.

1.5 Fire Running

Fire-DuelingRing.jpg

~ 0:33 min ~ Start in CW, use Duel Ring to Al Kharid, run north, craft, use Duel Ring to get back to CW. Repeat.

-----Requirements: Lots of Dueling Rings, depending on how many you make.

~ 2:00 min ~ From Al Kharid bank, go to altar, then run back.

1.6 Body Running

Body-justoutsideofit.jpg

~ 0:45 min ~ Start at Edgeville bank, run to altar, Glory back.

-----Requirements: Glory Amulets

~ 1:10 min ~ Start at Edgeville bank, run to altar, run back.

1.7 Cosmic Running - This is where the money really starts

Cosmic-Outsideofit.jpg

Map of Lost City (credit to tip): http://tip.it/runescape/index.php?page=lost_city.htm

NOTE: I am going to assume you know how the fairy rings work, and where to go to access the rings. I only assume this because when you do Fairy Tales Part 2, you gain some knowledge about them.

NOTE2: As you can see on Lost City map, there are 2 agility shortcuts. You must use, at least, the lower level agility gap (level 46.)

NOTE3: I do not have the requirements for the level 66 agility gap (my agility is 62 at time of writing this :( ) so, I do not know if that is faster. Try it on your own if you can!

NOTE4: The lower agility level on my picture is wrong. Sorry about that, but I say 46 many times, so just ignore the wrong one.

~ 1:33 min ~ Start in Edgeville, run east across the bridge, and south a little until you see the Fairy teleport ring. Use it. Then go south, through the level 46 agility shortcut, and down to the altar. Then Glory back to Edgeville.

-----Requirements: High Agility (46 bare minimum). Glory Amulets. Started Fairy Tales part 2 (to use Fairy ring network).

~ 2:00 min ~ Use of the bank in Lost city. Go past Fairy ring hub, and south to altar, then run back north to bank.

1.8 Chaos Running

I am sorry to say this, but I find crafting Chaos completely worthless. However, I do have some good reasons.

1. If you wanted, you can go to a rune shop and buy them for about the same as pure essence costs.

2. You can make more money crafting other runes. (especially if you can craft natures/double cosmics.)

3. Because each higher level rune only gives .5 more xp per rune made, it is not a valid arguement to say that "I'm making them because it gives more xp!"

4. The reason why that arguement isn't valid is because it takes forever to make them without the abyss. The maze that you have to navigate completely destroys the purpose of runecrafting for a profit.

1.9 Astral Running

Without the completion of Lunar Diplomacy, I can't really give much info here. However, I do feel that there is not a large market for these runes, as lunar magic is a non-combat (for the lower levels) oriented skill, resulting in a very small group of people who will buy the runes.

Start at the bank, run all the way to the Altar, do ur stuff, and use the MoonClan tele ( lvl 69 mage required,2 astral,1 law, 2 earth) to get back to the City gate which is few steps from the bank.

Although it means u make only 41 astrals per run its much more faster then walking ur way back and uses only 26% of ur running energy(well..depends on ur weight and agilty ofcourse).

- Matok

2.0 Nature Running

NatureAltar-FULL.jpg

Credit to tip for map (taken from world map)

The Red Path

~ 2:00 min ~ Start in Edgeville. Use the Fairy Ring east of Edgeville. Then use it in the Lost City with the combination, CKR, walk along the path above to the temple.

-----Requirements: At least started Fairy Tale Part 2 to use rings. Glory Amulets.

The Blue Path

~ I do not like the Walking Strategy, although I drew it in above. This is mainly because there is no bank to refresh your supplies. Now, you can say, "well, you can note anti poisons and super energy pots!" - But then you just lost 2 additional spots that could be for crafting natures to noted items.

~ If you use Shilo Village bank. Just stop now and go craft something else. It's so slow, the profit is almost not worth the time spent getting it and better xp and profit can be found elsewhere.

2.1 Law Running

LawAltarRunningMethods-Full.jpg

Again, thanks to Tip for the World map.

The Green Path

~ 1:30 min ~ Start in CW, use Balloon to go to Entrana, run to altar, craft, dueling ring back to CW. (This path uses considerably less run energy as compared to the other one.)

-----Requirements: Completion of An Enlightened Journey (also requires tinderbox and normal log to use balloon). Completion of Troll Stronghold.

The Red Path

~ 1:45 min ~ Start in Draynor, walk to the monks to sail to Entrana. Go to altar, craft, Glory back to Draynor.

-----Requirements: Completion of Troll Stronghold.

~ I did not time the walk to altar and walk back because i believe that if you're doing that, you shouldn't have level 54 rc, and therefore should not be crafting them to begin with.

2.2 Death Running

Death-undergroundpass.jpg

That picture is of the Underground Pass. The quickest route therefore is, use a Lletya seed teleport, walk to the Underground pass "exit" to the elven lands. Go from middle of Underground pass to bottom left (if you don't fall on one of the agility jumps, the door is in the bottom middle of the wall) then go through a crevace in the wall to the runes, then into the altar room itself. Then teleport back to Lletya.

Also as a minor note, the Underground pass scares the crap out of me, which is why I detest this walking method (that and it takes way too long.)

-----Requirements: Mournings End Part 2, Mournings End Part 1 (where you get Lletya seed Teleport), Sheep Herder, Big Chompy Bird Hunting, Roving Elves, Waterfall Quest, Regicide, Underground Pass, and Biohazard. NOTE: Most of these quests are hard, and want to kill you, many times.

07May20-09.jpg

To recap:

The Abyss is only worth using if you are going to be crafting Deaths or Natures. This makes sense, because they, in turn, offer some of the best xp (except laws) and profit. Every other rune can be made in mass produce safely and just as fast (if not faster.)

Thanks for reading!

Hope you learned something from it!

And thanks again to Tip for the wonderful world map that I utilize so often!

Quest Cape gotten.

Fire Cape gotten at 92 cb, no guthans.

gr8 job!!!! Covers pretty much all (well...except the Astrals) and well written.

Regarding the Astrals- well,yesterday i just did my first Astrals RCing run.

The method is quite simple and it is as fast as abyss rcing (though there is no Astral rift at the abyss) if not faster.

Start at the bank, run all the way to the Altar, do ur stuff, and use the MoonClan tele ( lvl 69 mage required,2 astral,1 law, 2 earth) to get back to the City gate which is few steps from the bank.

Although it means u make only 41 astrals per run its much more faster then walking ur way back and uses only 26% of ur running energy(well..depends on ur weight and agilty ofcourse).

Thanks for the bit on the astrals. When i look at the map of the abyss, for some odd reason, Souls and Astrals always blend together for me!

Quest Cape gotten.

8/10 - pretty useful stuff. =D>

Don't follow me. You might not make it.

All your accounts are belong to us now.
If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator

nice job

(you craft rather fast, I get like 2mins for balloons to entrana, but I'm not to focused mostly)

When I see all the times next to eachother, I think I'll stick to that lawcrafting.

Really nice guide

WOW!

I always though that crafting nats w/o the abyss was a way to waste time, but now I see now that this is untrue. I think I'll try this soon, and see how it compares with the abyss, time-wise.

That's what it takes to be a hero, a little gem

of innocence inside of you that makes you want

to believe that there still exists a right and wrong,

that decency will somehow triumph in the end.

--Lise Hand

Wow very useful guide! Thinking of stopping my air runners idea for this... :P

But can you specify what items I need for the balloon method? I remember I needed some log... but I forgot which kind...

linkdg0.jpg

Check out my blog! (Click the image)

Thanks to Stalesoul for the sig!

Updated the Balloon requirements (i forgot to put the Entrana one when i made guide.)

Updated requirements for using the Death Altar.

Thanks for all the feedback!

Quest Cape gotten.