What Does Time Look Like?

Errdoth

Time is one seriously messed up law of physics. At the moment, I understand it to be affected by gravity and speed, corrent? The faster you are travelling, the slower you age relative to people travelling at slower speeds and gravity I have no idea about.

Having time slow right down would be terrible, you'd be stuck in a single moment unable to die. :uhh: Time scares the heebyjeebes out of me.

ragenori9bosq4.gif

Thanks Venomai for this super sig and Kwimbob for the awesome avatar!

There is no absolute time.

Absolute time as in the measure between the beginning of time or universe (was there time before the universe?). So aging only applies to relative time or an observer of time, right? So what does age have to do with the common moment?

I suppose if you had like a being outside the universe (call him god, or bob, whatever) that started a stopwatch at the moment of the big bang and was counting the seconds, in that sense there would be an absolute time. But as far as we know, there is no transcendent being outside of the universe, and within the universe time is relative, so it is meaningless to pose the question (kinda).

It's confusing as sin though, either way.

@Ragen, yeah the faster you go the slower your time flows, and the closer you get a source of stronger gravity the slower your time flows.

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

There is no absolute time.

Absolute time as in the measure between the beginning of time or universe (was there time before the universe?). So aging only applies to relative time or an observer of time, right? So what does age have to do with the common moment?

I suppose if you had like a being outside the universe (call him god, or bob, whatever) that started a stopwatch at the moment of the big bang and was counting the seconds, in that sense there would be an absolute time. But as far as we know, there is no transcendent being outside of the universe, and within the universe time is relative, so it is meaningless to pose the question (kinda).

It's confusing as sin though, either way.

@Ragen, yeah the faster you go the slower your time flows, and the closer you get a source of stronger gravity the slower your time flows.

It doesn't have to be measured to exist.

dmanxb7.jpg

Trix.--quit WoW as of 12/07

Thank you 4be2jue for the wonderful sig and avatar!

Time is a vary simple dimension. Just like we have length, width, and depth, time is the fourth dimension. Think of a 1D object. It is just a point. Now a 2D object. That is a plane. Now 3D. That is a spacial object. Now for 4D, think of that object moving. That is how you imagine what time looks like. It is not a spacial distance in the proper sense, but that is one way you can look at it. The reason all laws still work without the presence of time is quite simple: All the laws of gravity require is that a object have mass. In that situation, the equation can become more complex after you include how the object is actually MOVED by gravity. Gravity can still be in effect without time, its just that the object will not move at all.

TheDarkestLight2.jpg

[hide]

Come, be my light.

Mingle with my darkness

May we mix to create

Our own twilight sunset

The dusk breeze

Spreading clouds

On our murky horizon

~Darkpoet837~[/hide]

What does time look like?

Look at your girlfriend, then look at your grandma.

igoddessIsig.png

The only people who tell you that you can't do something are those who have already given up on their own dreams so feel the need to discourage yours.

In the region of a black hole, time is slowed down.

Outside of our Horizon, there may be a different space time. We never know that for certain though. Let me find the page from NASA.

Our Horizon is 13.7 billion light-years.

http://map.gsfc.nasa.gov/m_uni/uni_101bb2.html

Interesting article. It even says the Big Bang wasn't even an explosion, but rather the appearance of matter in several places at once.

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

I know that, I meant is the speed like, this has been 5 seconds, does this same 5 seconds go at the same speed across the Universe right now?

How would we know?

Well we know that Light from the sun takes about 7 minutes to get to earth so...idk really. what is any of us?

Who said the color red had to be red? why not color red, blue.

heartless619.png

IGNORE THESE FOUR WORDS

banneruh3.jpg

Yes, but it would exist outside the universe, and so we can't measure it or think about it, so it's useless as a concept.

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

I know that, I meant is the speed like, this has been 5 seconds, does this same 5 seconds go at the same speed across the Universe right now?

How would we know?

Well we know that Light from the sun takes about 7 minutes to get to earth so...idk really. what is any of us?

Who said the color red had to be red? why not color red, blue.

8 minutes actually... :P

Yes, but it would exist outside the universe, and so we can't measure it or think about it, so it's useless as a concept.

Are you sure about that? No it would not exist outside of the universe and we can still measure it and think about it all we want. So it is very useful as a concept. I personally use this concept everyday.

[Admin Edit: Referrals are not permitted on the Tip.it Forums]

Are you sure about that? No it would not exist outside of the universe and we can still measure it and think about it all we want. So it is very useful as a concept. I personally use this concept everyday.

:-s No you don't. No being within the universe escapes It's laws. Thus, you don't experience universal time, but only how it relates to you. This is basic generaly relativity dude.

The concept exists outside the universe because only an observer who is extrauniverse, yet still able to observe our universe, would be able to understand universal time.

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

:-s No you don't. No being within the universe escapes It's laws. Thus, you don't experience universal time, but only how it relates to you. This is basic generaly relativity dude.

The concept exists outside the universe because only an observer who is extrauniverse, yet still able to observe our universe, would be able to understand universal time.

Yes, absolute time can only be measured outside of the universe because if you were in it you would observe it. I fail to see how it is a useless concept if we, humans, can't observe. We can still think about it.

dmanxb7.jpg

Trix.--quit WoW as of 12/07

Thank you 4be2jue for the wonderful sig and avatar!

Yes, absolute time can only be measured outside of the universe because if you were in it you would observe it. I fail to see how it is a useless concept if we, humans, can't observe. We can still think about it.

I never said it was a useless concept. assasin's the one arguing that; I have no idea about it :P (though assasin's POV sounds more logical, since we can't measure it why even bother thinking about it?).

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.