Macroers, blah blah blah

Scorpiona

=/ Like I said, don't get the wrong idea. Just because I write hacks doesn't make me dishonest/honest. I probably won't even use my own scripts anyway. For me, its just getting back at the good ol' boys over there for the pure essence update, and getting programming experience at the same time. I mean lets face it, it's such a sad company that it's just asking for someone to mess with it.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I don't really get is your respons to some of the reactions here. Your state of mind obviously is "macroers exist, deal with it", but most players, actually most people, seriously detest cheating. I bet you do aswell, but runescape isn't really close to home for you. Let's say your dream job was out there (either something in IT or goatmilking, judging by your sig ;) ) , you go there for an interview and see your 1 of 10 possible people for the job. When your interview ends the next applicant walks in, drops $10,000 on the table and gets the job instantly. All your efford is lost, just because somebody can drop $10,000 on the table. Most people react from that feeling, so are more emotionial in their reasoning.

I can understand, to an extent, the anger that people feel against cheaters, but I dislike the bloodthirstily overzealous attitude many normal players seem to have about cheating. I see tons of people complaining about macroers, and calling them "greedy" and "lazy", but all I see from their arguments is: "I want macroers to go away so prices on all my stuff can go up and I can get rich selling them without doing anything." I consider that completely hypocritical.

However, coming from a cheating background, I realize that cheating is wrong, but I don't detest them to the extent that the people here do. I still have friends in the cheating community who I talk to regularly. Just because they're doing something that I know is wrong, that doesn't automatically make them greedy, lazy human garbage.

As for your last point, if that happened, I'd accept it as the other applicant being better prepared than me. I can never end cheating, just like I can never end worldwide crime, but I can accept that it does happen, however unfairly.

So yes, you're right. My view on cheating itself is primarily: "Cheating is wrong. Live with it."

It doesnÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâôt make them automatically greedy, lazy human garbage because you know them personally ;) Most people around here feel pretty strongly about Runescape (I used to be one of them), so if they see someone cheating the game their first response is anger. I actually still think that response is legitimate. Just because autoing keeps the prices down doesn't mean we should condone it. When I was still playing I would have happily paid 1k per coal or flax or gathered it myself if it would have meant there would be no more autoers in the game.

As for the bolded part of your answer... I don't believe you. If that really was your dreamjob, the someone else getting it should be earning it, not just "having come better prepared". If you can really shrug off losing your dream job to a guy that "cheats" to get it, you and I might aswell be different species because I simply cannot understand that.

Pinguin, they ARE greedy, lazy human garbage. They don't write their scripts, they just download a proxy then go in with some script they have never seen in their lives, just to get money and see what it would do. And by money, it's actually REAL money. Go to en.wikipedia.com and search for runescape. Jagex is having trouble because the asians are running around selling accounts and hacking the place up with 1000 accounts each. Which ends up being about 500 billion accounts daily... -_- overpopulation with asians is so scary. They, besides Jagex's poor judgement, were the cause of pure essence. And now you're wondering "He writes hacks, but he hates macroers?" Let me be more specific. I'm working on a hack for air crafting. I will NEVER write anything in the following - Woodcutting, Smithing, Melee, and probably not Magic. The reason I took the time to explain is because there really is no reason to hate all autoers/scripters.

Pinguin, they ARE greedy, lazy human garbage. They don't write their scripts, they just download a proxy then go in with some script they have never seen in their lives, just to get money and see what it would do. And by money, it's actually REAL money. Go to en.wikipedia.com and search for runescape. Jagex is having trouble because the asians are running around selling accounts and hacking the place up with 1000 accounts each. Which ends up being about 500 billion accounts daily... -_- overpopulation with asians is so scary. They, besides Jagex's poor judgement, were the cause of pure essence. And now you're wondering "He writes hacks, but he hates macroers?" Let me be more specific. I'm working on a hack for air crafting. I will NEVER write anything in the following - Woodcutting, Smithing, Melee, and probably not Magic. The reason I took the time to explain is because there really is no reason to hate all autoers/scripters.

That 500 billion must be a typo, because even if there were that many RS accounts every citizen from China would have to keep 500 accounts running daily and that's simply impossible. But even if it were 500 million it seems too much to me.

I think I see your point, you draw a very clear line between people that macro for real world cash and people that write their own scripts to do some of the more tedious jobs in the game. To me both these kinds of cheating are wrong, but I'll grant you that the cash macroers are worse kinds of people.

The people that make scripts to do stuff on their main account are just lazy. Part of the fun in RuneScape to me was the sense of earning stuff and/or the ability to do something new. Sure some of the things are tedious to do, but there's allways the gp or xp to show for it and give you a sense of accomplishment.

I realize different people play the game for different reasons, but to me even people that use auto alchers/teleporters are cheating and deserve to be banned. You say there is no reason to hate all autoers/scripters, well I don't necessarily hate you, but I do think you are doing something wrong. Upon creation of an account you agree to play by the rules made by Jagex, so when you break them, you can't complain about the punishment.

paintdry6yn.png

forceny5.png

Haven't played RuneScape since 12 january 2007 and it feels great :)

There we go, someone who gets it. 500 billion wasn't a typo, it was an exaggeration. Yes, anyone who uses an auto should be banned. The real problem is like I said, Eastern Asians and some political thing. Yes, you are right, but once again - the people who complain when they are banned are usually leechers.

Oh yes, and although you think all botters are here to ruin the game, think again. The SRL-forums has created a botcatcher, for all of those interested in committing a necessary 'evil.' We're here for programming experience and outsmarting a game company, not here to ruin it for the rest of the rs players.

http://www.srl-forums.com/forum/botcatcher-t10137.html

Yeah, you'll get banned for running it. Notice how it works - reports level 3s and 4s. They won't all be leg. reports. and since you'll be botting yourself, you can count on your noob to be banned. But frankly, I wouldn't care if i got 500 idiots banned along with myself.

Edit: It appears that Tip.It doesn't like us much since it blocked out the site. Oh wells, just google botcatcher. Most people that come here won't know how to use it though. =/

Jagex's Mistake was to ever let Yew autoers exist... I hope people understand why I am saying this because the Vast majority of runescape's money comes from alching Bows. Now, if yew autoers had never existed, then there would be MUCH less money in the game, so the value of a gp would be a lot less, causing all sorts of efects that I'm sure you all know.

Now, person who has so much experience at cheating,

Do you honestly think ANYONE could create a program to complete Imp Catcher? If players had to do that quest to chop yews, I doubt that many or any yew autoers would exist. Oh, and make beads untradeble, too.

That's what it takes to be a hero, a little gem

of innocence inside of you that makes you want

to believe that there still exists a right and wrong,

that decency will somehow triumph in the end.

--Lise Hand

Young Bowsa, you have much to learn.

There are not very many hacking communities. Proudly, despite my status as a beginning scripter, I am a member of a community which has some of the most talented scripters out there. One person I believe ran a script for 2 years before Jagex caught onto him...Some communities are more gifted than others.

Do you honestly think ANYONE could create a program to complete Imp Catcher? If players had to do that quest to chop yews, I doubt that many or any yew autoers would exist. Oh, and make beads untradeble, too.
Actually, that part is VERY basic. I don't have much experience, but with what my community has offered and with my current knowledge, I could very easily create a script to do Imp Catcher. Jagex didn't "let" autoers exist. Scripters did, although we vary in what we do. A vast majority of Rs's money coming from alching bows? Congratulations, you got a piece of it right. A vast majority (in skills) comes from Runecraft, selling ANYTHING to shops, High Alchemizing, and Crafting, or anything else that I may have left out that involves a positive change.

In closing, the next time you try to start stuff, just shut up, GOOGLE IT, thus finding out what is possible or not, and come up with a real argument. You're complaining about Yew autoers and how in your mind most of the money comes from alching bows, that it kills the game, and GOLD would be worth LESS? causing all sorts of effects? Yeah like what, beating the game within a few years? Letting Jagex decide prices? Even if your imagination was 100% accurate, that wouldn't change things for the better.

Edit: Also, anything tangible can be manipulated. Remember that, Young Bowsa.

The authors points are valid. The majority of cheaters do it to sell gold for real life cash. Kill the gold to cash market and boom, you knocked out the biggest incentive to cheat. I think this would be best done by doing what they have already started - cracking down on gold sellers and buyers. That way no major earthshaking changes need be applied to runescape and jagex can keep pulling in the green while the gold to cash market is slowly suffocated. If you read on cheating sites you will hear of alot of gold sellers and buyers getting banned, they go to great lengths like setting up fake duels to trade gold just to avoid it. Jagex is clamping down and they ARE feeling the pressure. I've heard of chinese gold sites working with jagex to get people banned after they got shut down.

Some of the people in this thread are quite amusing, equating autoing with murder and such. As the author said, the bloodthirsty zealotry is unneeded. It's a game, people, please dont forget that. Point and click, thats all runescape is, and thats why its so easy to cheat.

Very nicely said, but I think I'd prefer the first option of getting rid of macros than the second. :wink:

Jagex can run around in circles trying to chase autoers with decreasing market value. They proved that with Pure Essence. By screwing runecraft over 3 times, they can shift autoers from essence to woodcutting...And then when they realize their mistake, they shove it in a corner. Brilliant Jagex

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Very drastic indeed. If, like you suggested, Jagex made a 'RS depression', then I very much doubt there'd be any macros left. However, what use is bots when everything is so cheap? When 99s are so easily earned?

Sorry but i don't think this is a great idea.

"It is important to fight, and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then can evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated." - Albus Dumbledore

drapit.png

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone who has expressed their views here. Just to make it clear, I'm not actively viewing or replying to this topic anymore. If you have a burning question or something you'd like to tell me, PM me and I might see it sometime.

Feel free to discuss this further, but I've said all I can really say, and I'd like to thank the intelligent, open-minded people for responding.

~Scorpiona

Ex-cheater.

Web designer, PHP programmer, security analyst, and occasional goat milker.

ESCAPE WINDOWS! Dedicated poweruser of Ubuntu Linux.

I guess I'll bump this thread from now on.

Before you go "zx0mgx0rz thr33d h1j3k34!! I have pmed Scorpiona, and have talked to him about the topic. I am probably one of the few people here, I know there are others, that didn't think this was to start a Great Depression. Nobody seems to care about this thread anymore, And I belive this is the only way to halt macroers completely. I would like this to stay alive.

He does make good points, but his suggestion would mess up the game even more in my opinion. That's it, that's all.

Matt: You want that eh? You want everything good for you. You want everything that's--falls off garbage can

Camera guy: Whoa, haha, are you okay dude?

Matt: You want anything funny that happens, don't you?

Camera guy: still laughing

Matt: You want the funny shit that happens here and there, you think it comes out of your [bleep]ing [wagon] pushes garbage can down, don't you? You think it's funny? It comes out of here! running towards Camera guy

Camera guy: runs away still laughing

Matt: You think the funny comes out of your mother[bleep]ing creativity? Comes out of Satan, mother[bleep]er! nn--ngh! pushes Camera guy down

Camera guy: Hoooholy [bleep]!

Matt: FUNNY ISN'T REAL! FUNNY ISN'T REAL!

He does make good points, but his suggestion would mess up the game even more in my opinion. That's it, that's all.

To sum it up, let the macroers free to get as many goods as possible for a while, the value of RSGP will go down so much that the bot owners will lose interest in the game.

But then, we go back to normal, and the bots come back. In the end, it's just as if you'd had shut down the game for a few months, then turned it back on.

Matt: You want that eh? You want everything good for you. You want everything that's--falls off garbage can

Matt: You want the funny shit that happens here and there, you think it comes out of your [bleep]ing [wagon] pushes garbage can down, don't you? You think it's funny? It comes out of here! running towards Camera guy

Matt: You think the funny comes out of your mother[bleep]ing creativity? Comes out of Satan, mother[bleep]er! nn--ngh! pushes Camera guy down

personally, dealing with the problem of macros, we r more screwed than a prostitute in vegas in that deal

rsn: Srgnt Suited

Barrows Drops: Karils-2 coifs, 1 top, 1 skirt, 1 xbow. Ahrims-1 staff. Torags-1 platebody, 1 legs, 1 helm. Dharoks-1 platebody, 1 helm.

Dragon Drops: 1 Chain, 1 2-hander

personally, dealing with the problem of macros, we r more screwed than a prostitute in vegas in that deal

rsn: Srgnt Suited

That was very funny. =D>

I have to remember to siggy that, I have to eat dinner though. No touchy, I called it first!