-> BRIDGE Collapse ; 20+ people dead

martinisback

From CNN head site.

BEIJING, China (AP) -- A bridge under construction as a tourist attraction in central China collapsed Monday, killing at least 20 people and leaving 39 missing, state media reported.

Rescuers search for victims at the site of a collapsed bridge in Fenghuang, China, Tuesday.

The official Xinhua News Agency said 64 people were rescued, including 22 who were injured when the 1,050-foot (324-meter) bridge spanning the Jiantuo River in Hunan province suddenly gave way. The cause of the collapse was under investigation, it said.

The bridge in Hunan's Fenghuang county had four decorative stone arches and was designed to be a tourist attraction, Xinhua said. It was scheduled to open at the end of August.

News photos showed the bridge reduced to a tangle of stone, concrete and steel reinforcement bars.

Rescuers were searching for victims and the accident was under investigation, Xinhua and a local official said.

"We have sent teams to the site for rescue efforts. ... We have no idea about new updates because there is no mobile-phone reception around that area," said Liao Junhui, an official with the administrative office of the Fenghuang county government. "We cannot reach anyone with the team."

Xinhua reported that most of the people working on the bridge were local farmers who had been recruited to work on the project.

On June 15, a bridge in south China's Guangdong province collapsed when a cargo vessel loaded with sand rammed into it, killing nine people. That bridge was built in 1988 and spanned the Xijiang River, a major tributary of the Pearl River.

Construction accidents in China are frequent, with contractors often opting for shoddy materials to cut costs and using migrant laborers with little or no safety training.

The Ministry of Communications categorized 6,300 of the country's bridges as dangerous because of serious damage to their "structural components" in its annual report on road safety last year, the China Daily newspaper reported Tuesday.

The report didn't give specifics but quoted Xiao Rucheng, secretary general of China's Institute of Bridge and Structural Engineering, as saying many of the country's new bridges were being built too quickly and were poorly designed.

The Chinese bridge accident came nearly two weeks after the collapse August 1 of a major interstate bridge in Minneapolis that killed nine people and left four others still missing. Authorities are trying to determine exactly what caused the nearly four-decade-old bridge to crumble

-> This is unbeliveable

--Quit--(As of December 22th, 2007)

ACK heres the latest pic.

untitled-5.jpg

[hide=Read this before you flame]I jsut made this cuz i was bored, im not making fun of the people of anything. I apologize if i offended some of you. And im sorry. :cry: [/hide]

untitlednv9.png

I'm sorry, don't try to make an excuse for something that bad.

If you really were bored you could have wrote something thoughtful.

P.S. Before you flame, I was... bored? =D>

In Soviet Russia, glass eats OTers.

Alansson Alansson, woo woo woo!

Pink owns yes, just like you!

GOOOOOOOOOO ALAN! WOO!

untitled-5.jpg

[hide=Read this before you flame]I jsut made this cuz i was bored, im not making fun of the people of anything. I apologize if i offended some of you. And im sorry. :cry: [/hide]

untitlednv9.png

Im not bald stupid. add hair or die.

tifsbti6oi.gif

untitled-5.jpg

untitlednv9.png

Im not bald stupid. add hair or die.

Use your imagination.

In Soviet Russia, glass eats OTers.

Alansson Alansson, woo woo woo!

Pink owns yes, just like you!

GOOOOOOOOOO ALAN! WOO!

i think its sad. I hate it when people die:( my grandma on my dads side died 6 days before Christmas 05. I didnt know her that well, but she died cuz her dad smoked back when there was no filters on cigarettes. #-o Anyway its sad.

tifsbti6oi.gif