How do I Convert protected WMA. music files into MP3?

bobdjojo

I have a couple of songs on my computer that I have purchased. The only problem now is that I can not play these songs on my I-pod becuase of the format that they are in. Does any one know of a "safe" WMA to MP3 converter.

Thank you ahead of time.

No need to send me link, then name of the site or the converter will do fine.

If you can plz include your opinion on the site/converter and if you had any problems with spyware or keyloggers :ohnoes: etc.

-no longer playing runescape, I have moved on to play world of warcraft. But I love the community of the forums so I plan to stay here.

Well, I Googled "Free WMA to MP3 converter" and I got this: http://www.wma-mp3.org/downloads.html

I've scanned the file and it's clean. Can't test if it works though, can't find any .wma files on my computer, lol.

If you're running WinXP, there is a ".wma" or two buried deep in the 'system32' folder. I don't mean to be rude, but for now, I'll leave you to find them, seeing as I can't remember the location right now, even though I have dug the file up at least 10 times. Might help you to get a handle on it that way. :P

[Edit after slapping self: Here is the path to where a '.wma' file is under WinXP... "C:\WINDOWS\system32\oobe\images" ... Look for "title.wma" there.]

~Mr. Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

One of the easiest things would probably be to use iTunes for making wma into mp3.

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

One of the easiest things would probably be to use iTunes for making wma into mp3.

iTunes will only convert unprotected WMAs.

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

How come that my Maiden cd Dance of Death (copy protected), was possible to convert the songs into mp3 files?

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

Google for FairUse4WM. Cannot provide a link sorry.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

How come that my Maiden cd Dance of Death (copy protected), was possible to convert the songs into mp3 files?

CD != WMA

Music CDs have been since 1982; WMA was developed in 1999. The music CDs you buy in a store don't contain WMA files.

The basic truth is, most WMA files have DRM in them and iTunes won't let you bypass it.

PvP is not for me

You could always try using Audacity to convert them.

You will need to download Audacity and the lame mp3 extension, but once its set up you can convert and edit 99% of music files.

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Dragon Boots x4 - all less then 30 kc
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

Solo only - doesn't include barrows[/hide][hide=Stats]

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

You could always try using Audacity to convert them.

You will need to download Audacity and the lame mp3 extension, but once its set up you can convert and edit 99% of music files.

Straight from the Audacity pages at Sourceforge:

Audacity cannot import or export files in WMA, AAC, RealAudio, Shorten (SHN), or most other proprietary formats, or any kind of Digital Rights Management (DRM) protected file, including many purchased online such as on iTunes or Napster. Because of licensing and patent restrictions, we are not allowed to add these formats to Audacity. Future versions of Audacity might be able to support these formats using codecs installed in your operating system.

PvP is not for me

• 2 weeks later...

I think winamp should be able to handle this - I've used it before to convert audio files, and a quick google search just showed me that they can play protected wmas, so they should be able to convert them. Look online or fiddle around a bit with the input and output 'drivers(?)' You can change the output to a file type, rather than sound output, to convert a file.

PDM

I think winamp should be able to handle this - I've used it before to convert audio files, and a quick google search just showed me that they can play protected wmas, so they should be able to convert them. Look online or fiddle around a bit with the input and output 'drivers(?)' You can change the output to a file type, rather than sound output, to convert a file.

Winamp can convert wma files to mp3. Winamp can not convert protected wma files. Hence why they are protected.

Protected means that they have drm in them so they can not be modified and can only be used with one device. For example Itunes drm songs will only play with itunes or the ipod (only songs you buy from the itunes store would have the drm).

goldenblade995.png

Winamp can convert wma files to mp3. Winamp can not convert protected wma files. Hence why they are protected.

Protected means that they have drm in them so they can not be modified and can only be used with one device. For example Itunes drm songs will only play with itunes or the ipod (only songs you buy from the itunes store would have the drm).

WinAmp 2.8x series or later should be able to circumvent this due to technology types. Good ol' diskwriter plugin would convert to '.wav', if I don't miss my memory.

~Mr. Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

WinAmp 2.8x series or later should be able to circumvent this due to technology types. Good ol' diskwriter plugin would convert to '.wav', if I don't miss my memory.

~Mr. Devnull

No it wont. Read up on drm and you will understand why it can't. If it were that simple do you really think people would be complaining about drm restrictions?

Merciful gave the only way to get around this and it's illegal in most countries, which is why he could not provide a link. It may not even work anymore because Microsoft patches the drm every so often.

goldenblade995.png