Brimhaven Agility Arena Guide - Complete!

dead_socks

Brimhaven Agility Arena Guide - Complete

Welcome to my guide! It appeared in the official forums for a fortnight, unfortunately it died a terrible, horrible death in the jaws of the page 51 monster... :shock:

My name's Dead Socks and I love agility.

drilldemon.jpg

Granted I don't have 99, but I know enough to make a guide on an overlooked source of agility EXP - the Brimhaven Agility Arena! Yeah, the KB and Tip.It have guides... but these are simply content guides, with little instruction in terms of strategy.

This however, is a COMPLETE guide *gasp*.

I am a noob at this, so pweez be kind

Most people start agility-ing because they want one of these:

supercloseup3.jpg

You're right to want one. Forget Dark bows and Karil's crossbow, Crystal is king/queen/top potato! Simply because it looks awesome, protects over most over items in the wilderness, and requires no ammo... if you're unskulled (as in you didn't attack anyone) and you die, you'd usually lose ammo. Ha ha! No more :)

Crystal shield is pretty nice too, but has been annoyingly superseded by DFSÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâî on the immense coolness scale.

However, after training to 51 agility (Summer pies FTW!) or so using the barbarian course and 100 Brimmy tickets for Regicide, I decided I actually liked! training agility... perhaps after reaching your quest target, you'll feel the same way.

Because I admit I am not the leading authority on everything, ever, you'll

notice an awful lot of links in this guide to item, quest and skill guides provided by Tip.It. There's pictures in these links, in case you weren't sure what I was rattling on about.

If you use my guide, or look at it, or think about it, please leave me a comment/bump :D

(NOTE: I recommend you have 20+ agility before trying this minigame. Gnome training is the best place for you if you don't.)

• CONTENTS

# - What to Bring

# - How to Get There

# - How to Play

# - Rewards

# - Why it Beats Other Courses (note - it does)

What To Bring

Firstly you need the lightest gear you have. Because this is not a safe minigame, don't take anything expensive - it'll only add to your weight.

Worn Items

Instead bring these (cheap) weight-reducing items if you have them -

Penance gloves - from Barbarian assault minigame - -4kg

Boots of lightness - from the start of Temple of Ikov - -4kg

Spotted cape - requires 40 hunter - -2/3kg

Spottier cape - requires 66 hunter - -4/5kg

Keeping your weight low really makes a difference. There's no reason you could need weapons and armour in the arena, so don't bring any!

Another two useful items are Karajama gloves, from the achievement diary, and the ring of charos(a) from the start of Garden of Tranquillity. An activated ring of charos will halve chartered boat fares, and allow you to use the "customs officer" boats to and from Karamja for free. The Karamja gloves(2) will give an extra 10% EXP from tickets earned in the agility arena. It will also halve 30gp boat fares to 15gp, and level 3 ones provide a teleport to escape the arena to restock on food.

Energy

runinng.jpg

It's unlikely you'll find yourself running out of energy in the course, but here's a handy guide if you are: Getting Around - Running and Energy

Healing

Don't bring sharks, monks or swordfish to the arena. This is expensive PKer food, not food for skilling! The cheapest and most readily available food suitable for the arena, are cakes. Also good are baskets of fruit (strawberries, tomatoes, not apples) or summer pies. The reason why will be explained later in the guide.

Money

Bring 200gp to pay the pirates who look after the upkeep of the arena, or else the parrot on duty will demand you are clamped in irons.

irons.jpg

If you forget your money, the nearest bank is TzHaar (in the volcano)

birdie.jpg

That-a-way

Or else you can kill nearby pirates for GP.

Agility Potions

If your agility is between 50 and 65, take 2 or 3 agility pots(4) for dart obstacles (see "How To Play").

Also Note

Leave a space in your inventory to collect tickets, or bring with you any tickets you earned last game... it's great motivation!

Unfortunately, you can't take cats :( (AKA followers)

kitty-edit.jpg

I like to leave something to grow, e.g. ranarr herb, and set a nature amulet to it, as a way of training 2 skills at once. You can also alch, add arrowheads to arrowshafts, and so on in the arena.

veracfarms.jpg

Getting There

Always the problem when you're finding motivation to do something...

• Route 1)

Get the boat from Port Sarim, costs 15gp with gloves, 0gp with ring of Charos(a) and 30gp with neither. From the dock, walk towards the volcano, through the gates and you should see the mini-game sign.

Charos.jpg

Route 2)

Teleport to Ardougne (requires 2 laws, 2 water runes, 51 magic and
Plague City quest)

From here, walk south to the dock. The dock here is exactly! the same as the Port Sarim one, only it takes you to Brimhaven instead. From there you should be able to find the minigame.

Barnaby.jpg

Route 3)

Use your Karamja gloves(3) to get to Shilo village, from here get a cart to Brimhaven. The price varies on how much money you're carrying, but as you need at least 200gp to get into the minigame, the fare will be 200gp.

Route 4)

Change your house to Brimmy (it's where I live for now :)) and teleport to house[link mage guide] (1 law, earth and air rune, or 1 law and a dust rune) when you need to get to Brimhaven.

Route 5) Glory teleport to Karamja and walk from there.

glory.jpg

Route 6) Fairy ring codes for Karamja:

BLP takes you to TzHaar (closest to minigame)

DKP takes you to the nature altar

CKR takes you to outside Shilo village

Route 7) Charter a boat from and port to Brimhaven. A ring of Charos(a) will halve the expense. From Catherby, the cost would be 240gp.

How To Play

The aim of the minigame is to tag two or more posts in a row, while competing against the clock. The post you need to tag will be indicated by a large flashing yellow arrow, which is a yellow or red arrow on your minimap depending on how close or far away you are.

arrow1.jpg

When you're next to it, you can actually see the arrow. Which is a bit weird when you really think about it.

arrow3.jpg

When you're a distance from it, the arrow on your minimap is red

arrow2.jpg

When you're closer... the arrow will become yellow.

To get to the post, you need to negotiate the fastest route past obstacles in your way. Each obstacle gives you a little EXP. Tagging 2 posts in a row gets you an agility ticket. Whether you will recieve a ticket or not next post you tag is indicated by the green/red box in the corner.

greeen.jpg

The Obstacles:

NAME - EXP - Description - Screenshot

• Level 1 Agility Requirement Obstacles

Rope swing - 20 - Can be tricky if attempted at low levels.

ropeswing.jpg

Pillars - 18

pillars.jpg

Low wall - 8 - Chance of faliure very small

wall.jpg

Log balance - 12

log.jpg

Ledge - 16

ledge.jpg

Monkey bars - 14 - These are fast, because they take you next to the post.

monkeybars.jpg

Balancing rope - 10

rope.jpg

Planks - 6 - You need to spot the plank without any cracks in. The right plank will change each time. Note in the screenshot how 2 planks are cracky looking.

planks.jpg

Blades - 0 - You can succeed this obstacle and still take damage. Try to time yourself so you run after the blade stops spinning. The fail looks somewhat painful...

saw.jpg

• Level 20 Agility Requirement Obstacles

Floor [bleep]es - 24

[bleep]es.jpg

Pressure pads - 26

ceiling.jpg

Hand holds - 22

handholds.jpg

• Level 40 Agility Requirement Obstacles

Darts - 30 - it is possible to fail these at any level, and they damage both your Agility level and your health when failed.

agilityminus.jpg

They also disorientate you. If you're under agility level 50, I recommend you take the long route rather than attempt this obstacle. If you're level 50 - 65, use agility pots after these obstacles to restore your level. If you're 65+, use the rapid restore prayer (level 19) to gradually recover your agility level if you lose any.

matrix-1.jpg

Spinning blade - 28 - Avoid these if you have a laggy computer, because this is the place people die.

blades.jpg

Choosing a route

Obviously, you're heading towards the arrows, and trying to get there in the shortest time possible.

As a rule, favour these obstacles:

Spinning blades (fast)

Monkey bars (fast)

Rope Swing (fast)

Avoid these:

Low wall (stops you clicking something for half a second afterwards)

Darts (reduce your agility, high fail rate)

Handholds (hard to click, wasting you extra time, high fail rate)

In between tickets

Once you tag your post, write yourself a marker in an empty clan chat (either your own, or one of your froob accounts'/pures') where no one will be bothered. It's hard to always keep track of what you have, and haven't tagged.

Eat until you have 14-16 HP, to save time next time you get hurt.

If the post you tagged was at the edge of the arena, move away further into the middle again. If it's a corner, go to the square diagonal from where you were.

Some people use this time to alch, some use it to chat to one another or emote spam! But don't get carried away, you need to watch your minimap for the location of the arrow to change.

alch.jpg

DO NOT transform into an egg, because then the minimap won't change when the location of the arrow does.

If you're next to an easy obstacle, like low wall, rope, rope swing and so on, you can use this time for a little extra EXP.

If you fall off an obstacle...

Climb back up as so :)

failfall.jpg

fallfail2.jpg

How to Eat! (As weird as it seems...)

A tactic employed by many people in the agility arena is to keep their HP under 20. When your hp is less than 20, each obstacle only hits a max of 2, meaning you need to eat less food, and can stay in the arena for longer! This is why I suggested the slow food in post 2. However this is NOT a safe game, you lose items when you die, and your HP is not restored when you leave the minigame. So be careful. You may wish to bring a teleport to escape when you're low on food, or a single piece of heavier food (like a monkfish) to heal you before you escape. Otherwise the ladder is in the North-East corner of the game.

exit.jpg

If you leave and come back in again, you'll have to pay again!

Rewards

The tickets can be traded for agility EXP, herbs, or the highly-sought pirate-hook.

Trading for EXP

The more tickets you trade simultaneously, the better EXP!

1 ticket - 240exp

10 tickets - 2,480exp

25 tickets - 6,500exp

100 tickets - 28,000exp

1,000 tickets - 320,000exp

10% bonus

Wear the Karamja gloves when cashing in the tickets for a 10% bonus:

1 ticket - 264exp

10 tickets - 2,728exp

25 tickets - 7,150exp

100 tickets - 30,800exp

1,000 tickets - 352,000exp

part2-1000tickets.jpg

part3-1000tickets.jpg

That's the first time I ever achieved 1,000 agility arena tickets... notice that my gloves added an extra 10%. Very handy indeedy.

Also add 80exp onto each ticket if you want to calculate your end EXP, because you gain EXP for completing the obstacles. If you want to use the Tip.It calculator, add a Gnome Stronghold lap for every ticket cashed.

Herbs

Toadflax - cost 3 tickets. Make agility pots and Saradomin brews, or sell 2K* ea.

Snapdragon - cost 10 tickets. Make super restore pots, or sell up to 7.5K* ea.

Pirate Hook

And the pirate hook costs 800 tickets. It has no use besides outfitting :) and sells for a nifty 1.4M*. According to the KB, the protection it offers is little beyond that of plain leather gloves.

Note: if you leave the minigame, you keep all tickets, which you can bank until next time! You don't have to camp within for days...

* = I can't be relied upon to be 100% concerning prices, so please keep your eyes on the Grand Exchange for price changes

Why Train Here?

Every course has its own pros and cons - I think Brimhaven comes out best!

Gnome training - incredibly slow EXP compared to other courses. This is a good place to start, but once you have level 20-40 you should be looking at agility arena as your #1 source of exp!

Barbarian - also slow... and boring :) This course is in my opinion obsoleted by the agility arena.

Wilde - While PK-ing may be over, there's still level 126 revs outside who find it fun to barrage you as you walk past on each lap. I tried training there - when you're being hit for 30 and frozen every lap, you may find your determination fades a little.

I died and lost a frog mask D:

Werewolf - needs a lot of food - that deathslide can really do damage. Basically, you are slid along a wire from your teeth.

Ape Atoll - fail the last obstacle and there's no lap bonus :o - however it must be noted that after level 75, you no longer fail obstacles, so for people headed for 99, this is maybe another strong option

Dorgesh-Kaan - requires 70 ranged and strength levels, and the lap bonus is complicated (altho if you look at the agility calculator on tip-it, it looks enormous!). Plus you need to bring a heavy crossbow.

Brimhaven - challenging, fun, and even sociable! Requires less food, and is easy to get to. The main con is that you don't gain EXP levels until the end when you cash in your tickets, so a little patience is required. But if you just read this huge guide from start to end, patience is evidently not a problem :P

[hide=Credits]

The original version of this guide appeared in the official forums for 2 weeks during September. It obviously didn't contain links and screenshots... I let it die, as only my friends were bumping it.

All screenshots taken/edited by me (yes, I did have a gender change at one point - I'm actually a girl)

Linked Tip.It guides feature individual credits... respect to them <3:

This guide appears on Tip.It forums (gasp!)

All images hosted by PhotoBucket.com

All EXP amounts from the RuneScape.com official Knowledge Base

Thanks also to Jagex for making the game... (duh)

Sorry of your name appears in my screenshot... post here if you want me to snip it out for you, and I will!

Thanks for reading!

Particular thanks to these Tip.It users/RSers

zaaps1 - lil typo fix

Vimescarrot - a reliable source who brought to my attention he has failed the low wall

[/hide]

I am in a constant process of updating and improving this guide. If you have a suggestion, or a correction, I want to hear it :D

For the darts part, you wrote it hurts your XP and HP, rather, it hurts your agility level, not your xp.

Pretty good guide, add xp per hour? I also read from another agility guide you could double your xp per hour at higher levels by going past the spinning blades between tickets.

For the darts part, you wrote it hurts your XP and HP, rather, it hurts your agility level, not your xp.

Pretty good guide, add xp per hour? I also read from another agility guide you could double your xp per hour at higher levels by going past the spinning blades between tickets.

Good idea, I'll try find EXP per hour for every course, this one included.

And thanks for noticing my slip-up :D

• 4 weeks later...

not bad, but just to mention that the vine on ape atoll really doesn't give you a "bonus," it's a separate obsticle

2) mention you can theive cakes from ardougne bakery stalls

3) dorgeshuun agility area you DON'T want to use crossbow, otherwise you get ranged bonus instead of agility bonus...

not bad, i'm going for pirate hook at the moment ::'

<the49ronin> O_o methinks ard is acting mighty high and pretty -.-

<Ard_Choille> I am pretty

<Ard_Choille> fo shizzle

I have a couple of great tips for this.

1) Always, without fail, return to the center of the grid as soon as you have tagged a post. If for example you tag a post in the bottom left corner and wait there, you have no chance of getting the next if its in the top right corner. Returning to the middle each time puts you only 4 moves from any post, i've tagged several hundred in a row with this method, you just cant fail.

2) Baskets of strawberries are fantastic for this!! Take 24 baskets, each containing 5 strawberries, each healing 6 hp. Thats a total of 720 hitpoints healed!!... Yep more than a pack full of tuna potatoes. And the best part is because each strawberry heals low, its easy to keep it under that magic number 20hp.

Oh dear i just read your guide again, you have both of these tips covered. Think i need to get my eyes tested.. :oops: Sorry!

BurntStats6.gif

Ape Atoll - fail the last obstacle and there's no lap bonus :o

Some people don't fail the last obstacle on Ape Atoll.

The only way for me to compare Brimhaven to Ape Atoll is by the xp per hour. Like Guzoliub, I'm interested in how much xp/tickest you get per hour at different agility levels.

If you donÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâôt miss a ticket, you can get 60 tickets an hour. That is 21,120 experience for the tickets (with Karamja gloves 3). I donÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâôt know how much experience I got for the obstacles, but IÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâôm sure you get less experience compared to Ape Atoll (about 52k for me, agility 94).

Yeah I wanna know exp/hour rates 2, I'm not totally convinced why I should do brimhaven over Ape Atoll,

Nonetheless good guide 9/10

99 ranged/99 hunter/99 mage/99 cook/99 constitution

99 woodcutting/99 firemaking/99 farming

sig2fk1.png

99 herblore achieved on 7/10/2008

99 agility achieved 7/2/2010

Everything is pretty much dead-on, except that Ape Atoll is definitely faster at 70+. But if you're writing this for those trying get the lvl for Regicide, then it's fine. Also, the Dk course has 2 routes, one for the range/str exp and one for purely agility exp.

For those of you wondering exp rates, it's roughly 16 hours per 1k tickets, with gloves and adding extra exp for obstacles, you will get around 460k for 1k tickets/16 hours. But if you have 75 at ape atoll, it's 50k exp per hour, so 16 hours is a little less than 800k exp.

revan-1.gif

If you can keep your weight at 0 without using penance gloves (with only spottier cape and boots of lightness), I would do so. If you die with penance gloves, you will lose them, and they're very annoying to replace. Although death isn't that likely, it's nice to not need to worry too much about a random event or a spot of lag. You'll only lose tickets. I'd bank every 100 tickets or so as well, just to be safe.

I died on the spinning blades with penance gloves :). That was a traumatic experience.