Barrows for Beginners

bunsosteel3

Hello, I'm Srgnt Suited from runescape and I just wanted to make a barrows forum for those of us that are noobs.

Getting There

***You will need Priest in Peril done and Nature Spirit started to get to barrows.

OK you're starting point is Varrock. Go east til you get to the portal to Morytania, go thru this portal. Now go southeast til you come to a gate and pass thru. Run south til you get to a grotto, pray at it only if you've done Nature spirit completely, and south of the grotto you will see a "maze". Go to the end and your in Mort'ton. Go thru Mort'ton til you find a man and his boat. Pass that bridge and go northeast til you find an opening and your at Barrows! Now start digging the mounds, which is mentioned later.

Stats And Items For Barrows

Ok, i did barrows at these stats when I first started, believe it or not:

43 prayer

61 range

60 mage

Stats "required" for Barrows:

43+ prayer (definitely required)

60-70+ range and mage preferably

My setup was as follows:

Full green dragonhide

Zamorak cape

Coif

Fire staff

Mithril arrows

Chaos guantlets

Ammy of glory

Ring of Wealth

Inventory was as follows:

150 chaos

450 airs

mage short bow

law rune

spade

5(4) prayer pots

17 lobsters

As you can see I use no mage armor or melee just because it takes up space. And if you pray full time you wont need it, but melee armor for kill count is nice i guess, so thats optional depending on you.

If you gather all your own materials all that you get from barrows will be profits, which is what i do. All i need to get for Barrows by myself is prayer potions and air runes, the rest is provided from rewards or other. Prayer potions take 38 herblore and for air runes if you've done Rune Mysteries you can runecraft those, a high runecrafting level, 44+ is recomended for more runes per essence. So what I do is gather materials Monday thru Friday, and go "barrow-ing" on weekends.

Maging and Ranging Methods

And i dont use slayer dart and i can still manage with only 4 ppots. I found out today i can finish the bros off with 4, i used to use 5.

Here are the spells I use:

Fire bolt

Fire blast

What i do is get 150 chaos and 450 airs with a fire staff and i only use up 100 chaos, just to be safe i bring 150.

Usually I get the chaos back from the chest and then i just runecraft the airs and thats my mage method. Sometimes when i get deaths i treat myself with using fire blast to hit higher, but mostly fire bolt works nicely.

My ranging method uses mithril arrows because from the chest i get gp to pay for them. Plus if i just pick them up off the ground after i kill Ahrim, i only use 5 arrows about per trip.

For getting the kill count up im currently using a rune halberd, but once i get 100k im getting a dragon longsword, because im broke, but the rune halberd works nicely. With 12 foods er so i usually get my kill count around 30-35 by killing bloodworms.

The Barrows Brothers

*The following bros are in order from which I used to kill them.

**Northeastern mound

OK with killing dharok i usually use no doses of prayer potion since i recharge prayer at the altar of nature on my way to barrows. And if i get really lucky ill have 13-15 prayer points left.

**Southernmost mound

OK with killing Karil all you need to do is mage him and it'll take a little longer than most bros i have found out. But usually i only use 2-3 doses of prayer potion ( i always fill prayer pots to (4) to get more per trip) and you'll kill him easily.

**Northwestern mound

On to Verac. I found out that this dude can be a pain in the [wagon], since he actually can hit if you have prayer on or not. Be vigilant with this guy, because one time i was in the crypt with a buddy and his Verac's hitpoint bar was over mine, and i couldnt see my hitpoint bar so i thought i had died. You may use anywhere from 1-5 foods with this dude, depending how lucky he gets. And i usually finish him off with a few doses.

**Southeastern mound

Time for Guthans. I found out this dude is really easy so pretty much just mage and he'll be dead in 2-3 doses of prayer potion easily.

**Southwestern mound

With Torag it's very very similar to Guthans, just use a few doses of prayer potions and you'll be fine. I've also seen people without prayer aginst him but i personally pray against every bro just to be safe. Try without prayer just to see where you end up though.

**Middlemost mound

Ok, its Ahrim time. Once you get to Ahrim switch to your ranging stuff. With Ahrim I usually use a full prayer potion since mithril arrows dont hit as well as fire bolt/blast.

OK now its tunnel time. If you've gotten Karil, Guthans, Torag, or Ahrim, then you got off good. When you get in the tunnel, stay very very vigilant, keep your prayer at 0 because itll waste prayer potions if you keep drinking. Once you find the brother drink some prayer potion and turn on the appropriate prayer. Doing this quickly will hopefully allow you to stay damage free. I've had Verac as a tunnel and the only reason i hated it was i had to keep close attention to my hitpoints. If you've gotten Dharok without a safespot, keep prayer on at ALL times. Because on my first trip I ran out of prayer and he hit me well into the 50's and i died. Karil, Guthans, Torag, and Ahrim are very easy if you just keep on praying.

After you've done the tunnel bro I ALWAYS get the door open for the treasure room, just to get that done.

Rewards

Now its time for your kill count, as other statistics have shown, higher kill count gets better drops from the chest. These drops include:

gp

mind, chaos, death, and blood runes

bolt racks

half keys

dragon med helms

the rare barrows armor

The odds of getting a half key, dragon med helm, are very rare. The odds of getting a barrows item is approximately 1 in 108 brothers killed, or 18 trips.

Don't give up on barrows armor or weapons, i got mine on 7th trip :) :

Karils Leatherskirt

Kill Count

For getting your kill count up, I usually go to the room with all the bloodworms, which has the lowest levels, thus giving you more creatures per lobster, THUS giving you good kill count. A typical trip from varrock to treasure gathering takes usually 40-50 minutes, give er take a little, depending on how high you want your kill count.

OK so that pretty much wraps it all up, thats how i do barrows without what most people do. If you have any questions, i believe i am up to par to answer them, so please do. And if you have any suggestions to improve it be my guest and tell me :).

This has been Srgnt Suited, thanks for reading and have a safe barrows trip.

~May Prayer fend off evil and luck be with you~

Acknowledgement List:

Razorspearz-best friend in runescape and fellow barrow-er

Bowlite0-for continuing support with barrows

AfterWord From Me:

Once you get a few dozen runs in you might want to change up your style a bit. What I do currently is that i bought rune platebody and legs and I don't pray versus Verac, Guthans, or Torag, if you wear those then that'll help ALOT. So please don't be afriad to change up your style with barrows, this guide was created by me to help beginners in barrows to get the feel of the game. Just remember, what might work for one person, doesn't necessarily work for the next person. I use barely any things I mentioned in this guide anymore, like I used to use 5 prayer potions, I'm down to less than 1 prayer potion on 3 out of 5 runs er so. It's all about changin it up to fine tune your style. Granted I haven't had much luck, Barrows is still a good way to train and have a fun time, especially if you go with a friend or 2.

Barrows Drops: Karils-2 coifs, 1 top, 1 skirt, 1 xbow. Ahrims-1 staff. Torags-1 platebody, 1 legs, 1 helm. Dharoks-1 platebody, 1 helm.

Dragon Drops: 1 Chain, 1 2-hander

Well he isn't that strong (no offense) and as long as it works, it works. It's a good way to try for a drop if you can at least break even every time.

You seriously use that many doses!?
well the "official" guide on tip.it says to bring 5(4) prayer potions, and i only use 4 of the prayer pots, but i bring 5 just to be safe. and if i used slayer dart id probly use only 3 or 2.5, somewhere around there. but u have to factor in what spells and stuff u use b4 u go saying "You seriously use that many doses!?", bcuz the better stuff u use, less ppots needed, and vice versa

Barrows Drops: Karils-2 coifs, 1 top, 1 skirt, 1 xbow. Ahrims-1 staff. Torags-1 platebody, 1 legs, 1 helm. Dharoks-1 platebody, 1 helm.

You seriously use that many doses!?
and plus, PLZ read the title b4 u go spamming up the place, i clearly have "noobs" on the title, meaning im not as strong as u guys are, so i need more help, thus i need more ppots

Good guide. I'll give 8/10, maybe higher if you add pics ::' .
thanks for the good rate, but the problem with the pics is i dont have a digital camera and i have no idea how to take pics and im a total reject when it comes to computer stuff like that lol

well imma try to fish up some pics i guess, see what i can find :) itll just be pics off tip.it so ill give them all the credit, cuz tip.it is always #1

You don't need a camera. Just press the Print Screen button on your keyboard, then paste into paint. Save it and upload it on photobucket or imageshack.

There's a guide on this in a sticky somewhere #-o

You don't need a camera. Just press the Print Screen button on your keyboard, then paste into paint. Save it and upload it on photobucket or imageshack.

There's a guide on this in a sticky somewhere #-o

aww sweet thanks for telling me that, ill try hard as possible to get some pics

Ok first click the prtscr button its in the top rows of keys near the right side.

Then go into paint and press ctrl + v.

Then save it where ever and under whatever

Then follow these steps

http://www.imageshack.us

Now click browse

browse4dm.jpg

Find the image you want, and click "host it"

Now scroll down to the one that says "direct link"

link3iu.jpg

Copy this link and put insert%20link%20here

good guide, but can you make a profit using so many p pots? and all that time?
well with using only 75 deaths and about 2.5-3 ppots the runes easily pay for this if u can supply the other stuff, the other stuff is really not that expensive, plus about 15 lobs, so if u fish ur own its simple

i just dont pray vs. torag which keeps ppot usage down

Hello the guide is very nice and I remember using that many pots my first run too.

My setup now is:

(I use Air staff and chaos gauntlets too, which isn't shown in image)

07okt13214738wy9.jpg

Please do not get to stuck up on guide setups, best thing is to find your own, if fighting Melee brothers* without prayer dress in full melee armor.

*Never fight Dharok without Prayer no matter of lvl as he can hit 50's at low hp

I usually use 2 doses p pot, but in other cases 3 doses p pot*, if Karil is in tunnels I fight him without prayer! reason for my setup is that I find it most profitable, even when I get bad drop I actually earn gp. Reason for Sharks is that i'd rather use 7 sharks than 1 p pot ;).

*If Dharok is in tunnels I will have to recharge prayer

razorspearz.png

razorspearz.png

razorspearz.png

razorspearz.png

razorspearz.png

razorspearz.png

ok after 50 er so runs im now an experienced barrower and can tell u guys that i use only 1 ppot, sometimes even less, with 46 ppoints!!

just dont pray vs guthans verac and torag while wearing rune armor and eating monkfish and ill have like 6 monks left for kc, which is enuff to get to 20 kc, which is really all u need for kc

just gotta do barrows wisely, this guide is for "noobs" which i m not anymore ::' this guide will still be relevant to inexperienced players however as i have used it times b4

just wanted to update that once u get the feel of the game that ull be able to change some stuff up

Happy Barrowing!

My setup is as follows:

full green dragonhide (yes im too cheap for red)

zamorak cape

coif

fire staff

mithril arrows

glove, ring, and amulet spots are optional but i dont use any of them/b]

I STRONGLY recommend atleast some sort of rfd gloves, i myself use Mithril gloves that give a pretty +6 attack bonus,and used to use Klanks gaunts from underground quest,good defense too :)

also you said that a ring isn't a thing in your setup, alas you have a lot better odds of "rare" barrows armour with a Ring of wealth, or use a fremmenik ring for stat bonus(ring depends on attack type, seers for mages archer for well, archers and warrior/zerker) for the candy cane <3:.

Amulet spot is NEVER optional, always wear a charged glory :o #-o (or whatever you may desire, fure/ammy of magic if you'd like :thumbsup:

Else overall really good guide, can't wait to see more pictures :D

cheap_labour.png

Woohoo........

My setup is as follows:

full green dragonhide (yes im too cheap for red)

zamorak cape

coif

fire staff

mithril arrows

glove, ring, and amulet spots are optional but i dont use any of them/b]

I STRONGLY recommend atleast some sort of rfd gloves, i myself use Mithril gloves that give a pretty +6 attack bonus,and used to use Klanks gaunts from underground quest,good defense too :)

also you said that a ring isn't a thing in your setup, alas you have a lot better odds of "rare" barrows armour with a Ring of wealth, or use a fremmenik ring for stat bonus(ring depends on attack type, seers for mages archer for well, archers and warrior/zerker) for the candy cane <3:.

Amulet spot is NEVER optional, always wear a charged glory :o #-o (or whatever you may desire, fure/ammy of magic if you'd like :thumbsup:

Else overall really good guide, can't wait to see more pictures :D

thanks for the good rating, as for the wealth, i read a few times that jagex said wearing it doesnt increase the chances, but who knows, right? :)

as for the ammy spot ive added an unholy symbol, it reduces prayer point deletion by alot, giving a +8 prayer bonus

for gloves ive done family crest (very easy quest) for the chaos gauntlets which give like +8 er so in 3 attack slots which is really nice

alas since i wrote that guide many things have changed, as i m not cheap to buy the red since i have gotten em now :)

and im using addy arrows as well for an upgrade

just use the money from barrows to buy em is all :)

but as for the ammy spot i nvr wore it when i was a noob and i nvr died w/o it, exc. first trip when i had a double dh tunnel spawn and ran out of prayer pots (bad luck, YAAAA)

so anyways just wanted to update a lil on the guide

oooooo almost forgot, i use a white gold mystic hat, does a lil less than coif in terms of bonuses, but looks really cool

Hello the guide is very nice and I remember using that many pots my first run too.

My setup now is:

07okt13214738wy9.jpg

Please do not get to stuck up on guide setups, best thing is to find your own, if fighting Melee brothers* without prayer dress in full melee armor.

*Never fight Dharok without Prayer no matter of lvl as he can hit 50's at low hp

I usually use 2 doses p pot, but in other cases 3 doses p pot*, if Karil is in tunnels I fight him without prayer! reason for my setup is that I find it most profitable, even when I get bad drop I actually earn gp. Reason for Sharks is that i'd rather use 7 sharks than 1 p pot ;).

fight dharok first, you said not to fight him without prayer so why wouldnt you do it first? pretty much every experienced barrower knows that. second of all, msb is obsolete thanks to the rune cbow. plus slayer dart is more effective. not trying to sound rude but your inventory it outdate, and you only need d hide no helm, if your using veracs dont need mage either. thats why your using veracs in the first place

Assassin1357.png

My setup now is:

07okt13214738wy9.jpg

fight dharok first, you said not to fight him without prayer so why wouldnt you do it first? pretty much every experienced barrower knows that. second of all, msb is obsolete thanks to the rune cbow. plus slayer dart is more effective. not trying to sound rude but your inventory it outdate, and you only need d hide no helm, if your using veracs dont need mage either. thats why your using veracs in the first place

That's what I would call an outdated opinion. Well I use veracs because I land at +2 Magic with it on, when guthan gets me to about -26. Besides your comment is pretty much just mainstream "Can't think out of the box" opinion.

razorspearz.png

razorspearz.png

razorspearz.png

razorspearz.png

razorspearz.png

razorspearz.png

That's a lot of p pots...what if you dont get item in like 300 trips??? *I've seen a friend with 367 dry....*, its better to just get high def like 75~ and use barrow armor + slayer dart, thats the basic equipment, check out my guide and learn to barrows kai? no offense buddy

_p3_minato_arisato_signature__by_x0sandylicious0x-d3hnk6v.png

That's a lot of p pots...what if you dont get item in like 300 trips??? *I've seen a friend with 367 dry....*, its better to just get high def like 75~ and use barrow armor + slayer dart, thats the basic equipment, check out my guide and learn to barrows kai? no offense buddy
ok first off, who cares if u get an item, its not life or death

and slayer dart isnt a BEGINNERS choice of a spell, this guide is for BEGINNERS, i wish u could read that b4 u go spamming like a jerk

and wtf r the odds of 367 dry runs? thats near to impossible.....

i have my suggested setup for ppl and u have yours, i dont spam on ur site, DONT SPAM ON MINE

and + i believe i mentioned, if u manage to get the pots by urself or w/o spending money, WHO CARES HOW MANY YOU USE

this game isnt about what u get and how much money you make, bc its not gonna do u a hell of a lot of good in real life, its about having fun, which many people dont realize......

with my improved barrows routine i use around hmm..... around 30k in runes and other stuff per trip, by getting runes they easily pay for it.......

so b4 spamming think to urself, hmm will my message tick the author off, bc if u go knockin on my fence this pitbull will start barkin boy