Yakity Yak ���¢�¢â�š�¬�¢â�¬�� lets craft that!

vlad_the_old

Welcome to my guide looking at the humble yak as a source of crafting experience for the low to mid level crafter. Ok so they may be big, slow and smelly but the yak is a great source of raw materials for the crafter and can also serve to assist training other skills.

To be able to make the best use of this guide you must have got up to the point in the Fremennik Isles quest to be able to make the armour. The Tip It guide can be referred to here Fremennik Isles quest guide

You do not need to have completed the quest.

In order to have started the quest you would need to have the following levels:

20 Construction

40 Agility

46 Crafting

56 Woodcutting

If you have not, I suggest you stop reading this guide immediately and get back to working on your skills.

Now if you have started / completed the Fremennik Isles quests you should know where everything is. However as people like to have pictures in their guides lets throw in a few.

Yak000.jpg

Yaks can be found on the island of Neitiznot. To get there speak to Maria Gunnars in Rellekka and ask her to ferry you over. She can be found to the north end of Rellekka on the only pier that runs east / west.

Yak001.jpg

Yak002.jpg

Yak003.jpg

Now comes the Yak itself ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ this is a Lvl 22 beast with 50 hitpoints and is found just outside the gates of Neitiznot.

Yak004.jpg

Their entry in the bestiary can be found here The Yak

These beasts are great victims to utilise in combat training ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ be it Mage, Melee or Range. It is the hide and hair we are primarily interested in, but go ahead and bury the bone for prayer exp and cook the meat for some cooking exp. (And to heal any damage the yak may inflict.) There is a range handily located just east of the bank you can use for this. Each piece of yak meat cooked gives you 40 cooking experience and heals 3 hitpoints.

The yak hair can be used with a spinning wheel to spin into rope, a very handy item to keep as we frequently find ourselves needing a piece of rope in game. There is a very handy spinning wheel located in Neitiznot, just around the corner from the bank.

Yak005.jpg

Many claim that this is the best spinning wheel to use in game as you have a 1 click bank and no doors or stairs to impede you.

Each yak hair spun into rope gives you 25 experience.

Next we have the hide. In order to craft this you must first have it tanned by Thakkrad Sigmundson. He will tan all the hides you carry for the very reasonable charge of 5gp per hide.

Thakkrad Sigmundson is also very handily located just south of the bank in the south west corner of the room the Burgher, Mawnis Burowgar, is in.

fremennik_isles.png

Having tanned your hides you should make Yak-hide legs. (Note: making either Yak-hide legs or a Yak-hide body will give the same amount of experience. However the body needs 2 yak hides to make, so halving the experience you gain per hide.)

Each set of Yak-hide legs you make will give you 32 experience points.

But wait ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ thereÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s moreÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâæ :shock:

Remember that humble rope you spun?

Well it can be utilised to yeild yet more experience.

Simply chop some Artic Pine trees to get some logs. (Hey I did say you would be gaining experience in a variety of skills). Then take 2 pine logs, a bronze nail (Jofridr Mordstatter, in the bank, sells bronze nails for 7gp each) a hammer and some rope and use the logs on a stump to make a Fremennik round shield. The stumps you can use are located just east of the bank on Neitiznot.

Each shield made gives you 34 crafting experience.

So from 1 humble yak it is possible to gain a total of 91 crafting experience. :thumbsup:

For the power trainers out there the following may be of interest:

For every full load of yak hair you gain 700 exp points.

For every full load of Yak-hide legs made you gain 832 exp points. (You can only make 26 legs at a time as you need to also have needle and thread in your inventory. You use up 1 spool of thread for every 4 legs crafted).

You can make 8 Fremennik round shields per load for 280 exp. (1 slot for the hammer, 1 slot for nails, 16 pine logs and 8 ropes).

Its all so well and good gaining all this experience, but is there any money in it I hear you ask.

Well yes there is! \'

Both the Yak-hide trousers and Fremennik round shield have a high alch. value of 300gp. This in itself is not enough to get you whipping out your fire staff and nature runes in order to make with the bling, bling, bling but it will mean that the minimum amount a general store will pay you is 50gp for either. Not too shabby for the outlay of 6gp per yak (5gp for the tanning and 1gp towards a spool of thread).

For those nature lovers out there that do not wish to slaughter herds of yaks in order to gain their experience, help is at hand since the recent shops update.

During the course of the quest, while collecting the window tax in Jatizso, if you were kind hearted enough to pay the tax for Vanligga Gastfrihet you will have access to a shop selling yak products. (If you were mean spirited worry not, once you refund her the 5k tax she had to pay she will give you access to her shop). Simply talk to her and you will find she stocks unlimited quantities of yak hide, hair and meat.

Yak006.jpg

Yak007.jpg

Vanligga Gastfrihet can be found in Jatizso. To get there speak to Mord Gunnars in Rellekka and ask him to ferry you over. Vanligga Gastfrihet is located in the feasting hall directly north of King Gjuki Sorvott IV and there is a bank conveniently located a short walk south east from her.

Originally the yak hair had been price at 2gp each, but Jagex decided this was way too little for the amount of experience available so raised it to 120gp. Currently yak hides are still 55gp each but, as is the way of things, this may change.

Buying yak hair at 120 gp in order to gain 59 experience points (rope then shield), then only reclaim 50gp is possibly too expensive.

Buying the yak hides, tanning them, making Yak-hide legs then selling them to a shop, at the minimum price, would give you 32 exp at a cost of 11gp. This gives you just under a 3 to 1 ratio of experience to gp.

If you are willing to expend a bit of time it should be possible to sell your yak hide trousers at a profit. (I will be writing a further guide about this).

In order to settle an argument over this being a viable way to gain crafting experience, I personally made 6k of yak hide trousers to go from a crafting level of 79 to 80. I did this by buying the untanned hides from Vanligga Gastfrihet, tanning them and making trousers. My outlay was 366k and I achieved a return of over 660k. (And not one nature rune was used in the process).

I would have to say that i think this would be a slow way of gaining experience when you get to higher levels. To get that 1 level took me 3 evenings. (I tend to play for about 3 to 4 hours a night). That time did include getting rid of all the legs I crafted. For a lower level crafter ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ say if you have 46 crafting and want to get to level 63 and green dragonhide bodies - it would take you 9,395 Yak-hide legs. (If you were killing your own yaks and using the hair as well to make to make ropes and shields, only 4,051 yaks need to die).

For those with excessive quantities of gp, yak hides currently get sold by players at 300gp each. I would suggest this is still a cheaper method than buying glass and making orbs till you get to lvl 49 and can start making water battlestaffs.

Well thatÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s it. Hopefully reading this has not been a complete waste of your time. Even if you have not gained any new information I hope you have enjoyed the read.

Feel free to pass comment or suggest improvements or corrections based on valid personal experience. (As opposed to comments based on rumours along the lines of ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâ¦Ã¢â¬ÅThis one time at bandit campÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬ÃâæÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬ÃâÃ

vlad_the_old.jpeg

Thanks to 4be2jue for the sigs.

Vlad_The_Old.png

There are 10 types of people in the world - those that understand binary and those that don't!

Vlad_the_old.png

A very detailed and useful guide, I had heard about this method but wasn't really to interested in it until I read this. :D

Good job. =D>

seetons.png

Feel free to HYT me in-game =)

~~3,483rd to 99 Thieving, Feb 22, 2008~~

"There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want." - Calvin (& Hobbes)

32 exp at a cost of 11gp. This gives you a 2 to 1 ratio of experience to gp.

Bad math? :anxious:

Otherwise, nice guide...

8/10

Make it clearer with headings and sections and such. Organization is key.

kingtut3.png

32 exp at a cost of 11gp. This gives you a 2 to 1 ratio of experience to gp.

Bad math? :anxious:

Yes its actually nearer 3 exp point per gp.

61 gp to buy, tan and craft a piece of yak leather.

Sell it to a general store for 50gp ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ so it has cost you 11gp to gain the 32 exp points.

Works out at 2.909090 exp per gp.

vlad_the_old.jpeg

Thanks to 4be2jue for the sigs.

Vlad_The_Old.png

There are 10 types of people in the world - those that understand binary and those that don't!

Vlad_the_old.png

seriously decent guide. its solid all the way through.... makes me wish i could do my mid-range crafting levels again (darn f2p tiaras and symbols back in the day).

Oh, and before I forget: BEST Title you could have chosen! It had me seriously rolling on the floor \'