-= Hard Drive Problems =-

SHIPPOU

Although what Shippou says to an extent is true, you CAN plug in IDE/SATA devices while a PC is running.

No , you really can't.

IDE drives plugged in while the operating system is running would NOT be usable even if they didn't fry themselves.

True dat, but you can still plug em in. =P~

I actually forgot... We never did plug in an IDE drive when the system was on... Just the power cable. :ohnoes:

You've actually all made me curious. I'm thinking about trying this over the weekend. I have a spare 10GB IDE drive lying about and an old 1.2GHz Duron. I'll let you know if I blow it up (or kill myself). :thumbsup:

Edit: I reckon the only way possible if it works at all would be to use a true plug 'n'play OS like XP? Also plugging in the IDE cable without the power cable in and then attaching the power cable. This might actually allow XP to detect new hardware as if it was connected via USB. Then again, if it's not set in the BIOS... Maybe keeping it all on Auto settings? I wouldn't mind knowing how Shippou used to do it, just to keep me right. :P

dwmafianw7.jpg

Notoriously Trollish.

I wouldn't mind knowing how Shippou used to do it, just to keep me right. :P

I wouldn't trust something said by someone who reckons that SATA is a file system and that they have a special SCSI cable for testing IDE drives.

Again, over and over I will say: Plugging an IDE drive into a PC while it is on is very bad practice. It's not dangerous for you per say as the voltages are max of 12v and low current, but you could cause permanent damage to the drive and/or motherboard.

On a note of data recovery, did you know that you could probably retrieve all the data if you remove the drives platters and bake them in an oven for 20 mins at gas mark 6. Once baked, tap the platters over a bowl and all the files will fall off into it. You can then pick the files up and drop them through the USB slots of the PC and hey presto, you're a master of data recovery!

Note: One of the paragraphs above was a fabrication.

Gone off-topic:

===========================

And a well-done one. =D> ... Heck, let's echo it again, before I get to a potentially hilarious reply. :lol:

On a note of data recovery, did you know that you could probably retrieve all the data if you remove the drives platters and bake them in an oven for 20 mins at gas mark 6. Once baked, tap the platters over a bowl and all the files will fall off into it. You can then pick the files up and drop them through the USB slots of the PC and hey presto, you're a master of data recovery!

Just like eating cheerios, only electric. Or wait... nah, just have a bunch of dead magnetic-accepting ceramics. ROTFLMFLDYCAO :XD:

<*Walks off, laughing his [bleep] off.*>

~Mr. Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

Gone off-topic:

===========================

And a well-done one. =D> ... Heck, let's echo it again, before I get to a potentially hilarious reply. :lol:

Just like eating cheerios, only electric. Or wait... nah, just have a bunch of dead magnetic-accepting ceramics. ROTFLMFLDYCAO :XD:

... You mean I can't bake my hard drive to recover the 230gb I lost? :(

Of course you can, all you do is to bake the drive for 40 mins on gas regulo 7, with an old RLL hard drive next to the oven (RLL Drives soak up data) and then all that lovely data will be on it.. Don't forget that those drives were measured in megabytes, so you may need a few of them.

OK we all know that was a joke, but being real, what you need to do is to print out all your data and photocopy the lot. It's the only way you can back up your stuff.

Of course you can, all you do is to bake the drive for 40 mins on gas regulo 7, with an old RLL hard drive next to the oven (RLL Drives soak up data) and then all that lovely data will be on it.. Don't forget that those drives were measured in megabytes, so you may need a few of them.

Will it work faster if I put it in the microwave instead?