-= Hard Drive Problems =-

SHIPPOU

I had 2 hard drives in my computer. I unplugged it for about 2 weeks, and decided to plug it back in today to get some files off of it. It instantly crashed my computer, the second I plugged it it ((Mind you I do this all the time with other hard drives, and does NOT do this))

I rebooted my system, and made it up until right before the operating system (win xp) loads up. The system sits at an error that it can not find the floppy drive, were I normally press F1 to continue, the option does not pop up ((I know I can change that in BIOS, but am too lazy)).

The system is now frozen.

the problem is not my lack of a b drive

BIOS works fine, but I can not use a DOS boot disk.

I remove the second hard drive, and my system is back to normal, every thing boots up fine, and works properly.

One of the old guard of RS.

RS birthday = Feb - 27 - 2002

Proud member of the original forum.

Sounds like the drive's circuitboard has failed, and is also possibly causing power glitches. :(

You might be able to get that drive going again (and your data back) by finding a circuitboard from a matching drive that is still good, but the matching drive's disk has failed. The transplant would be hell, but the rewards would be phenomenal. :thumbsup:

Good Luck. ::'

~Mr. D. V. Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

Am I reading that right?

you plugged it in while the computer was running ?

I like to fart silently but deadly in movie theaters
Ard Choille says (11:41 PM):

I wouldn't dare tell you what to do m'dear

Am I reading that right?

It sounded to me more like they shut down the system long enough to plug it in, then started up and ran into the problem. I could be wrong, however, so I'm waiting for a reply to your question too. :-k

(I have to admit, you've made me curious too.)

~Mr. Devnull

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

Like the person who posted to ask if it was bad that a spark arced across his mobo when he installed new ram while the pc was running ^_^

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Like the person who posted to ask if it was bad that a spark arced across his mobo when he installed new ram while the pc was running ^_^

you have got to be kidding me...

+1 to your note, Jaziek. Inserting RAM with a running PC would be mind-numbingly insane. -.-

~Mr. Devnull

Am I reading that right?

My computer can plug-and-play hard drives, don't ask how, it just does.

err, were you inserting it in an internal SATA or PATA port, or is it a USB drive? SATA was made to be hot swappable, but its still usually a bad idea. As said above, it is likley that the mainboard on the hard drive is messed up, and is sending bad signals to the motherboard, causing those problems.

If you were playing around with internal components while it was running, you may have moved a dodgy power cable and shorted your hard drive.

And I remember that guy who was pulling RAM out when his PC was running. :D

OK if your hard drives are IDE, then no, you cannot hot swap hard drives. ALL IDE drives have to be installed when the computer is off. If you plugged an IDE drive in when it was on, then you really did risk damage to its on board controller. No ifs or buts, and I don't care who told you what, that is the fact.

Some, and I mean SOME SATA drives are hot swappable, which means you can plug them in while the PC is on. But you must have a motherboard and drives that are hot swap compatible. Not all motherboards and SATA drives support this option.

Some SCSI systems also allow hot swap, but you must make sure that the termination is correct on them, and usually if you're hot swapping SCSI drives, then you're using cradles that sort termination, ID numbers etc out for you using dip switches on the back of the cradles host.

What is your system, can you give us more information please?

Addition: Rhys is correct. NEVER play with internal components while your PC is on. And I don't mean sleeping, I mean powered off completely so that there is no power going to the motherboard. If you can press the on switch on the front of your PC and it comes to life, then that is not without power. You usually have to unplug the mains or click the switch on the back of the PSU. Even after doing that, press the power button to deplete any residual energy still left in the PSUs capacitors. Once the PC is DEAD and totally without life, are you really safe to insert, remove, alter anything.

Take the above precaution with zest, as it may save your components. Oh and don't forget to ground yourself before touching anything inside the case to avoid zapping components with static built up in your body that could cause failures and intermittent faults.

I've been playing around with computers for quite some time.

To complicate matters, I've plugged in IDE hot before, in fact for the heck of it I decided to plug in an IDE right now while typing this message, and it works fine. Did I mention it is on SCSI cable I have specifically for testing and fixing hard drives?

(IDE is a type of drive, SATA is a type of filing system)

I run my own charity that deals with computers http://youtube.com/watch?v=_69--DIaR84 .

I do power down my systems before swapping cards, chips, or sticks, but for hard drives, my system can handle them while it's on for some reason ^-^

Any ways, i've dug threw my pile of HDs, and no suitable board was found, I guess I'll have to wait until later to swap 'em out. :cry:

To complicate matters, I've plugged in IDE hot before, in fact for the heck of it I decided to plug in an IDE right now while typing this message, and it works fine. Did I mention it is on SCSI cable I have specifically for testing and fixing hard drives?

I run my own charity that deals with computers http://youtube.com/watch?v=_69--DIaR84 .

I do power down my systems before swapping cards, chips, or sticks, but for hard drives, my system can handle them while it's on for some reason ^-^

Any ways, i've dug threw my pile of HDs, and no suitable board was found, I guess I'll have to wait until later to swap 'em out. :cry:

err, no. They are both standards for computer cables. Just read the wikipedia articles Here for SATA and Here for PATA.

That is by far the most awesome thing I have read all week, thanks :)

IDE is a type of drive, SATA is a type of filing system.

Erm.. Wow..

IDE is an interface used to connect drives to the motherboard. SATA (Serial ATA) is a anothe rinterface, except faster. My computer uses a SATA drive.

Just to tell you..

I once shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die.
Pics or it didn't happen.
I hate my generation.

I'm sorry but you are obviously off your rocker. I am a technician in a university and have been so for the last 20 years and I am Comp TIA A+ and Microsoft MCDST certified. I think I know what I am talking about and I really have to clear up your last post as you did talk a load of BS there (sorry, but I am being honest):

1. Plugging in hard drives while the system is on is a bad idea, I don't care if you get away with it now and then, but you're asking for trouble. Listen to a professional and DON'T DO IT.

2. (IDE is a type of drive, SATA is a type of filing system). You're having a laugh aren't you? FAT, FAT32 and NTFS are file systems. SATA is a drive standard, or to put it simply, SATA drives are the ones that connect to the motherboard with the little red cables, or have you not seen them yet?

3. (Did I mention it is on SCSI cable I have specifically for testing and fixing hard drives?) Do you actually know what SCSI is? And I really hope you're not implying you're plugging IDE drives into a SCSI cable as that is impossible, for a start a SCSI cable is completely the wrong size and a completely different standard. SCSI these days is usually for server environments as you can connect up to 16 devices to one interface which is useful for RAID. I can't wait to hear how you set the ID and LUN numbers on an IDE drive :)

OK, please don't make another post like your last one as you're making yourself out to be a bit of a fool. You are asking professionals here and you should heed our advice. Sorry if I sound harsh but I meet people who thought they knew it all because they "play around" with computers all the time, and guess who they turn to when they screw it up? Yes you got it, us! You need to swallow your pride and listen.

On a last note: The only way you should ever plug an IDE drive into a system while it is on, is if you use an IDE to USB converter. Then and only then are you allowed to do it as USB is hot swap happy.

460zo1.jpg

On a more serious note... NEVER! Honestly... NEVER! (Probably ever) plug in or remove a piece of internal hardware when your computer is running.

Although what Shippou says to an extent is true, you CAN plug in IDE/SATA devices while a PC is running. It's just not advisable at all, and only should really be done while troubleshooting an existing problem.

Ahhh the good old days, plugging in a seized hardrive (with the computer on) and hitting it with a hammer. :-$

dwmafianw7.jpg

Notoriously Trollish.

If you discount the technical difficulties of plugging in new devices while the PC is turned on then at least take a moment to think about all that electricity flowing through your pc and how close your hands are to the internal components. If you work for a computer charity then you need to get some technical help or lessons FAST because I certainly wouldn't want you anywhere near my PC.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Although what Shippou says to an extent is true, you CAN plug in IDE/SATA devices while a PC is running.

No , you really can't.

IDE drives plugged in while the operating system is running would NOT be usable even if they didn't fry themselves.

Just thought I would rock the boat a little.

You can hotswap SATA, its one of the design features.

IDE on the other hand is not designed to be.

You can plug in a IDE hard drive via a IDE to USB converter and it will run as a removable drive in effect making it hot-swappable.

SHIPPOU, they seriously let you inside PC's with your level of knowledge?

You really should read up on Hardware

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Dragon Boots x4 - all less then 30 kc
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

Solo only - doesn't include barrows[/hide][hide=Stats]

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

Just thought I would rock the boat a little.

You can hotswap SATA, its one of the design features.

IDE on the other hand is not designed to be.

You can plug in a IDE hard drive via a IDE to USB converter and it will run as a removable drive in effect making it hot-swappable.

SHIPPOU, they seriously let you inside PC's with your level of knowledge?

You really should read up on Hardware

Actually you're not 100% correct. If you read my earlier post about SATA, not all SATA drives are hot swap capable. You need a drive and motherboard that support this option.

IDE to USB I already mentioned too :)

only thing i can suggest is assuming its just the logic board on the hard drive is damaged by the power surge but the actual platters on the drive are still fine, is to get an identical drive (down to make, model and EVERYTHING) and use the logic board off that to recover the data... they have to be EXACTLY the same but trust me it works :D. also dont ever mess with internal drives while the pc is on again lol :D Even sata is a bad idea, but with IDE it wouldnt even be usable by the OS because the disk controller would have to restart to even detect it. also you mightve killed the disk controller on your motherboard, doubt it though. also i advise you take some sort of lesson on ict hardware before you mess with pcs again