usahellyes

. 6 years old

thats probably the main reason.

If your going to post then atleast post something helpful. I have seen and used many computers past 6 years old and they worked perfectly fine.

Anyway, it sounds to me like overheating. Try cleaning out all the air vents with compressed air and make sure nothing is blocking or covering them.

goldenblade995.png

My laptop computer (Toshiba, Aprrox. 6 years old Satellite series) has recntly started shutting off at certain times. The times it shuts off are when I'm viewing a website that contains a lot of multimedia (YouTube, TIF Thread with lots of screenshots, etc.), when I'm using paint, and when I'm playing games, such as Winbrick (dont laugh or online games. I don't play Runescape on it. It has never shut off when I'm using MS Word. Usually, when it shuts off, it takes a few tries to get it rebooted (you turn it on, it shuts off again, repeats a few times.) Also, lately, as in the past two days, my wireless has been getting "Limited or no connectivity when the computer gets turned back on." The wireless system has had problems before, but this is the first time that this specific problem has occured.

What I would like to know are possible reasons for this happening. I haven't really installed any new programs or anything that could be a virus, but there's always a possibility that something happened. Anyways, do you have any tips for fixing this problem?

sounds like the battery is nearly dead mate. From what you are saying, when you open up more system dependent tasks that take a hold of resources your laptop dies correct? if it just goes *ping* dead it's a good guess your battery is nearly dead and isn't supplying enough power wattage to keep the system at that level. also the fact that your wireless isn't being given enough juice to boost it's single is another sign and on top of that the cell age is 6 years old.

Re-place the cell (E-bay it) if you are sure it's not software causing the crashing, i doubt it though and also does it run fine if you just leave it on, not plugged into the mains or in use?

2hwcu83.jpg

My laptop computer (Toshiba, Aprrox. 6 years old Satellite series) has recntly started shutting off at certain times. The times it shuts off are when I'm viewing a website that contains a lot of multimedia (YouTube, TIF Thread with lots of screenshots, etc.), when I'm using paint, and when I'm playing games, such as Winbrick (dont laugh or online games. I don't play Runescape on it. It has never shut off when I'm using MS Word. Usually, when it shuts off, it takes a few tries to get it rebooted (you turn it on, it shuts off again, repeats a few times.) Also, lately, as in the past two days, my wireless has been getting "Limited or no connectivity when the computer gets turned back on." The wireless system has had problems before, but this is the first time that this specific problem has occured.

What I would like to know are possible reasons for this happening. I haven't really installed any new programs or anything that could be a virus, but there's always a possibility that something happened. Anyways, do you have any tips for fixing this problem?

sounds like the battery is nearly dead mate. From what you are saying, when you open up more system dependent tasks that take a hold of resources your laptop dies correct? if it just goes *ping* dead it's a good guess your battery is nearly dead and isn't supplying enough power wattage to keep the system at that level. also the fact that your wireless isn't being given enough juice to boost it's single is another sign and on top of that the cell age is 6 years old.

Re-place the cell (E-bay it) if you are sure it's not software causing the crashing, i doubt it though and also does it run fine if you just leave it on, not plugged into the mains or in use?

Thanks, thats very helpful-not that I'm glad to hear it. Do you have any idea what the price range would be? Also, what do you mean by "i doubt it though and also does it run fine if you just leave it on, not plugged into the mains or in use?" I don't really understand what you are saying there. Thank you.

I have some doubts about it being the battery. Did you try my advice about the overheating? Also download the program called speedfan and post your temperatures here.

Does it still shutdown when you have it plugged in? If so, then it's not the battery.

goldenblade995.png

I have some doubts about it being the battery. Did you try my advice about the overheating? Also download the program called speedfan and post your temperatures here.

Does it still shutdown when you have it plugged in? If so, then it's not the battery.

I presumed he had tried your advice first, but assumptions are the sum of all screw-ups. As it's a laptop i would definably advise you to check if you check the fans are working, that they are not blocked/clogged and the temperature isn't getting too high, so basically what Blade said.

What i meant about "does it run fine if you leave it to run without being plugged into the mains" If you leave your laptop turned on, running for a prolonged period of time without you interacting with it, does it still shut down?

Also blade, i don't work with laptops and the only batteries i have to deal with are CMOS ones, but will placing the laptop on the mains to charge increase the battery's output Watts to be able to run at the level it was originally produced to run at?

2hwcu83.jpg

2z5nmeg.png

Those are my computers temperatures-I'm not sure what they mean, please post.

Those temperatures are not particularly high, so I would guess it is not probably overheating. Just to be sure, try this though: open up speedfan, and next to it open up a website that usually shuts your computer down. Use the website until the computer shuts down, monitoring the temperature. Much more heat is produced by a computer when it is under load.

67c is getting up there, but ti should be fine for a laptop because there suppose to withstand more heat.

Your laptop may have a function to shutoff your computer at 70c to prevent damage. You can go into the bios and change that, but it's not recommended.

What processor do you have?

goldenblade995.png

It sounds like it's overheating. Your best bet is to open up your laptop and clean all the dust and crap out. Seeing as your laptop has been fine up until now, that should fix it unless one of your fans is messed or something. Use it on wooden surfaces too or something similar, not your lap.

logo.jpg

It sounds like it's overheating. Your best bet is to open up your laptop and clean all the dust and crap out. Seeing as your laptop has been fine up until now, that should fix it unless one of your fans is messed or something. Use it on wooden surfaces too or something similar, not your lap.

How do you, and what is the safest way, to open a laptop?

Just start taking out screws. As long as you touch a piece of metal to discharge your static electricity and take the battery out. You should be fine. Some laptops have removable keyboards, which allow you to get at interior parts, while others have bays that open from the bottom. Just start removing screws, and eventually it will open up.

yeah, there's usually only one way in and it's usually pretty obvious! main advice is to touch for static like snipersas said, dont lose anything you take out and don't force anything open! Blow as much dust off as you can and use a vaccumm to clean it up, I used an earbud after that to clean the rest of the dust off. Main thing is to get the dust around the fans.

logo.jpg

Just touch something metal. If you have static electricity built up, you could fry some of the laptop's internal parts, which would kill it instantly.

I would also check the power supply, while you're at it. It might be a cause of this. My power supply in my old computer isn't very good, and it randomly reboots when doing high-processor things.. :x

I once shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die.
Pics or it didn't happen.
I hate my generation.

Just touch something metal. If you have static electricity built up, you could fry some of the laptop's internal parts, which would kill it instantly.

I would also check the power supply, while you're at it. It might be a cause of this. My power supply in my old computer isn't very good, and it randomly reboots when doing high-processor things.. :x

Was that a desktop? the power supply for a laptop is external. Its sometimes referred to as the "brick".

. 6 years old

thats probably the main reason.

I doubt thats the reason,my computer is about 8 years old and it works fine ... if it has anything to do with how old it is its b/c he didnt take care of it, or maybe laptops dont last as long as regular desktops, or maybe toshiba just sucks (mine is a gateway)

yondercopy.png

FD_Yondergod.png