Fishing, woodcut and mining assistance

meili

Yeah that's messed up. The high level should get the exp no matter what, since the lower level is getting free stuff...

Oh and btw, last time I checked, lower levels get the exp also when a higher level gives them assistance with RuneCrafting, but the higher level can get multiples. EG: Someone with 50 rcing asks a 99 for assistance at the nat altar. That person then crafts the ess and gets double nats... but also gets the exp, because he has the level to craft nats. That obviously isn't fair...

But I'm sure Jagex will fix these things soon. The update only just came out, anyway. I do hope they remove the gathering skill assists, though, they're useless...

From the RSOF:

Mod Mark H

Jagex Mod

08-Nov-2007 18:59:52

Last edited on 08-Nov-2007 19:00:49 by Mod Mark H

The gathering skills were brought up a few days ago, and were one of the suggestions I passed on to the developers.

I don't know if they will be removed, but I do see the logic in removing them (As a MMORPG gamer myself I appreciate the value of using you own materials for something, materials you have gained yourself).

Hopefully the developers will listen.

if what you all say is true then it is stupid. assist system is there to help people get stuff they can not presently get, eg sharks when they are lvl70.

getting exp for other peoples work is insane to me

Alex_Ewan 1.png

Goals achieved: lvl 99 Cooking, Fishing and Fletching.

Surrey CC and Liverpool FC fan for life!

With all the discussion about how we "need to remove the gathering skills" from the assist system since they "serve no point" you guys are forgetting to consider this from the perspective of someone out in the wilds (not the wildy) of RS. In a training area, I agree, they are useless (and possibly even annoying, if you have a lot of beggars around), but elsewhere they can be beneficial like so:

Example 1: Someone decided to take a swing through Brimhaven dungeon, but didn't know that the route they were taking had a woodcutting requirement higher than their level. Without resource assistance, they would have to take a detour, since players cannot cut the vines for each other. However, if someone else with the needed woodcutting level was nearby, they could assist the person and let them through.

Example 2: A player is out in the middle of nowhere doing a quest. They need some logs from a magic tree, one of which is conveniently located nearby. They also have their dragon axe with them, since they knew they would have to do some woodcutting, but do not yet have the level for mages. Luckily there is a stranger with a woodcutting cape nearby, but he didn't bring an axe since he's only passing through. With resource assistance, the situation is easily resolved since the 99 woodcutter can simply assist the quester in getting the logs. However, if the assist system didn't support resource skills the quester would have to make a lengthy detour, or risk losing his dragon axe (even though a level 99 woodcutter can probably be trusted, there's no guarantee, and lag can strike anytime).

Back on the intended main point of this topic, I agree that the xp should go to the assister at anytime they are providing a benefit that the other person could not obtain otherwise. Hopefully this is a bug, and Jagex will fix it soon.

Now...what about runecrafting.

Pretend you have 91 rcing, and the person you are assisting has 50 rcing,

when they make the double nats, do you get xp? (Just asking the question, I don't know if you do or do not)

~Ddaanniiellh

overall-1.png: 1437 combat.png: 173
Lowest Combat to 1,000 Total in F2P (23 Combat)
2r8i4.png
Check me out on YouTube!

thats definitly a bug, it'll be fixed before too long, its only 30k xp per 99 fisher though, and its not like you come across one every time you go to the guild, it really has minor effects.

also, you cant do anything while you're assisting, if I was 99 fishing, I wouldn't just sit there and not doing anything while someone else was using my skill to fish lol.

This really makes no sense at all to even have fishing.

I've never experienced the assist system, but from what I heard, you have to stand around and not do anything while someone else uses your skills.

So instead of fishing the sharks for myself, i'm going to instead stand around, make sure I don't get logged out, while I watch this guy fish sharks. Even if I do get the exp, i'm not getting the sharks. Why wouldn't I just fish the sharks myself? This post seems [developmentally delayed]ed...

w4M8t.png

Now...what about runecrafting.

Pretend you have 91 rcing, and the person you are assisting has 50 rcing,

when they make the double nats, do you get xp? (Just asking the question, I don't know if you do or do not)

~Ddaanniiellh

Peronix said the lower level gets the exp as well as the double nats. Ouch.

SpencerM98, thanks for the quote hopefully they will remove assist from the gathering skills.

13_19_16 hmmm good point but imho that's pretty rare while the begging in training areas happens all the time.

This really makes no sense at all to even have fishing.

Yes, that is my other point. Even if they change it so that the higher level person always gets all the exp, I still think assistance shouldn't include mining, fishing and woodcutting.

Thanks for all the replies.

I can see why you would want it removed in the training areas, since the begging definitely is more common, but . . . if you remove the gathering skills from the whole system then they can't help in the areas they're actually needed. Maybe they could disable them in some areas, like within a certain range from a bank or in popular training grounds to keep people from being molested about it? Hard to say, no matter what removing them fully could have a disadvantage, but I could see the continual requests being bothersome.

Remember too, the inappropriate requesting will die down soon as the novelty of the AS wears off (it hasn't even been out a week yet) so conditions may not even merit the removal of those skills. We'll just have to wait and see.

I was assisting a level 85 cook with cooking his sharks.

Sharks are good exp soo i thought, why not.

After waiting 20 seconds he says thanks and runs of to the bank.

I didnt get any experience soo i ask how many sharks he cooked.

He said he didnt burn 1.

That isnt possible at 85 cooking.

I even checked him up and he had 85 cooking.

We should get the exp even tho the person has the level.

They are using our time as much as their own soo i dont see it fair that we stand there while they use our levels without us getting anything back.

The same exact thing happened to me the other day, once I noticed I didn't get any experience, the guy said "Thank you, I am done." I asked, what are you cooking? "Lobsters" he said, how many did you burn, "none" he said. I asked his cooking level, his was a mere 50, mine was 99. i hope this bug is fixed as soon as possible.

songokusigtif.png

No one is really going to assist like that for that long, it probably won't even make a difference. Although, the fact that they ask in such way as your pointed out with your fishing example is just low...

camsiggycopy.gif

~2431~