Why do men steal more then women???

suncrafter

Shoplifting is stealing, and women do that more than men.

Face it, to do a proper test, you'd have to cover ALL types of stealing.

Actually, that's a myth. Only some 42% of shoplifters are female.

However, the value of the items stolen by the 42% of women exceeds that of the stolen goods by the 58% of men. So women aren't exactly saints.. :)

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I reakon that figure isn't exactely accurate, BlueLancer. From a personal point, a few of my old friends used to nick from shops. The boys I knew generally nicked food, funnily enough, hahah, and a few of them got caught before and let off with a warning. The girls, however, were always stealing useless crap from claire's accessories and make up and junk. I reakon more men are just caught than women, or by the time the women are halfway down the street, theres hardly any point chasing them because what they've stolen isnt worth anything anyway!

logo.jpg

I reakon that figure isn't exactely accurate, BlueLancer. From a personal point, a few of my old friends used to nick from shops. The boys I knew generally nicked food, funnily enough, hahah, and a few of them got caught before and let off with a warning. The girls, however, were always stealing useless crap from claire's accessories and make up and junk. I reakon more men are just caught than women, or by the time the women are halfway down the street, theres hardly any point chasing them because what they've stolen isnt worth anything anyway!

The study is by the British CRR (Centre for Retail Sesearch), so at least for the brits, that figure is quite accurate. The value of items stolen by females is more than by males.

And another point... I'd think 'accessories' and makeup would be worth a lot more than food. :lol:

Finding a wallet on the ground and keeping it isn't stealing... :roll: IMO atleast

If it can't be identified, it's definitely not stealing. If you find only money on the street; I don't see any moral obstacle... Who would you return it to? The police station? Any random person could show up and say "I dropped money, has anyone brought some here?"

If the wallet has credit cards, phone numbers, identification... It's 100% stealing if you don't attempt to contact the owner, or just steal the money/contents and dump the wallet. If you have the chance to return a wallet but you steal the contents, it's a criminal act. Just because the owner had an accident and dropped it, doesn't make it 'public property'.

If you find an abandoned car with no gas, with the keys still in because the person had to rush to a hospital to save a friend/etc, does that justify you filling the tank with gas and stealing the car+selling it?

I like to believe that all minds are created equal, it is how they are brought up that makes a difference, so I wouldn't say that women are better than men or men are better than women, those who kept the money were just brought up in the wrong way(At least compared to today's moral standards).

crim2ma.jpg

~^v^~Ex-Leader of the Divine Flames of Redemption~^v^~

I like to believe that all minds are created equal, it is how they are brought up that makes a difference, so I wouldn't say that women are better than men or men are better than women, those who kept the money were just brought up in the wrong way(At least compared to today's moral standards).

You'd like to believe that, but there are biological differences between male and female brains/chemical concentrations.

And that's not even considering sociological differences between the two genders. You can't honestly say that society, in any part of the world, treats men and women exactly the same, can you?

Now to your point, yes, those who commited the "wrong" act were most likely brought up in a worse manner than those who chose the morally right one, but this study does not examine individual morality- it contrasts the tendencies between two groups -males and females- to, in this case, steal, with less focus on why this happens (which is more less the main focus of the discussion on this thread, whether or not the test completely and utterly blowed scientifically).

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

You'd like to believe that, but there are biological differences between male and female brains/chemical concentrations.

And that's not even considering sociological differences between the two genders. You can't honestly say that society, in any part of the world, treats men and women exactly the same, can you?

Now to your point, yes, those who commited the "wrong" act were most likely brought up in a worse manner than those who chose the morally right one, but this study does not examine individual morality- it contrasts the tendencies between two groups -males and females- to, in this case, steal, with less focus on why this happens (which is more less the main focus of the discussion on this thread, whether or not the test completely and utterly blowed scientifically).

These biological differences do not have an effect upon the way they think or act though do they? When I said mind I meant nothing physically by it, I meant their thoughts, feelings, ect(And whether or not that is the correct use for the word I don't care so don't waste your time giving definitions and quotes because there isn't anthything to gain by it).

And I never said that men and women are treated exactly the same in any part of the world, I said created equal not treated equal, this treatment of course effects their bringing up which leads them to these choices, if one of the men who took the wallet was brought up exactly like a woman who didn't he would probably made the same choice as the woman and vice versa(Even though this is not quite backed up by anything it is what I like to believe).

All I'm saying is that you arn't created to be good or evil in any sense, you are raised into it.

Tendencies or not this is obviously going to turn into a discussion about which sex is better if it hasn't already(I haven't quite read through all the posts and I don't intend to), so I thought it better to post this before things got insane as they have in my past experiences on here.

crim2ma.jpg

And I never said that men and women are treated exactly the same in any part of the world, I said created equal not treated equal, this treatment of course effects their bringing up which leads them to these choices, if one of the men who took the wallet was brought up exactly like a woman who didn't he would probably made the same choice as the woman and vice versa(Even though this is not quite backed up by anything it is what I like to believe).

All I'm saying is that you arn't created to be good or evil in any sense, you are raised into it.

That's a sad illusion of "democracy", genders are such wide concepts you can't fit 6.5 billion people into 2 categories.

"Women" includes all females from the bodybuilder to the skinny short one who can barely lift a jar of water, from those with genetic inclination towards alcohol, to those who serve as nuns due to religious devotion.

It's very unrealistic, and also a lie, to think all people, men and women, were created with equal opportunities. Men can't do things women can. Women can't do something men can.

Why don't men brestfeed their children or insist they are the one to stay at home while the mother works?

And yes, turning out to be "evil" or "good" (though the world isn't even nearly that simple, more like 'grey' and 'grey'...) has a lot to do with your environment, but it also has a lot to do with your genes.

A family that has a tradition of alcoholism, criminality, violence, etc. since their history has been recorded for hundreds of years, will inevitably influence their child born in 2007 to have some of those traits. Even if his current parents are absolute pacifists. Genes have a *lot* to do with your personality.

That's a sad illusion of "democracy", genders are such wide concepts you can't fit 6.5 billion people into 2 categories.

"Women" includes all females from the bodybuilder to the skinny short one who can barely lift a jar of water, from those with genetic inclination towards alcohol, to those who serve as nuns due to religious devotion.

It's very unrealistic, and also a lie, to think all people, men and women, were created with equal opportunities. Men can't do things women can. Women can't do something men can.

Why don't men brestfeed their children or insist they are the one to stay at home while the mother works?

And yes, turning out to be "evil" or "good" (though the world isn't even nearly that simple, more like 'grey' and 'grey'...) has a lot to do with your environment, but it also has a lot to do with your genes.

A family that has a tradition of alcoholism, criminality, violence, etc. since their history has been recorded for hundreds of years, will inevitably influence their child born in 2007 to have some of those traits. Even if his current parents are absolute pacifists. Genes have a *lot* to do with your personality.

Of course it is impossible to be raised exactly like the opposite sex, I knew that from the start, but my point still stands, if a person who took the wallet were to be raised like a person who didn't instead they would more than likely end up making the same choice to return the wallet.

Your personality has little to do with what happens before you are born, it is made up by influences afterwards, true, if your parents, or the ones that raise you are corrupt there is a good chance you will be as well, but genes have very little to do with how you think.

Also I know the world isn't as simple as 'good' and 'evil', I just used these words to show my point.

crim2ma.jpg

I mostly agree with you. :) You make some great points. I agree that who you are depends on who raised you.

However, I would argue that biological differences also play a role, however minor. An example is the ability to carry offspring, which very much affects the way females react to certain situations. There's also testosterone and estrogen levels, but research is still on-going so I'll leave that to somebody else.

In a certain sense, you are right.

However, if an individual knows their family has a history of those issues they can seek help to avoid going through the same problems.

A vast majority of alcoholics, for example, suffer from depression. This is a genetic disorder that can lead to offspring also being depressed and perhaps, in turn, also become alcoholics. Even so, proper treatment can help substantially and often proves to diminish/remove the issue at hand.

I mostly agree with you. :) You make some great points. I agree that who you are depends on who raised you.

However, I would argue that biological differences also play a role, however minor. An example is the ability to carry offspring, which very much affects the way females react to certain situations. There's also testosterone and estrogen levels, but research is still on-going so I'll leave that to somebody else.

In a certain sense, you are right.

However, if an individual knows their family has a history of those issues they can seek help to avoid going through the same problems.

A vast majority of alcoholics, for example, suffer from depression. This is a genetic disorder that can lead to offspring also being depressed and perhaps, in turn, also become alcoholics. Even so, proper treatment can help substantially and often proves to diminish/remove the issue at hand.

However great those biological differences are, it is obvious that its possible to get past them, I mean just look at the chart, despite having these, there are still men and women who gave the wallets back and only a small fraction kept them, if these biological differences had an effect then the women and men side would be almost the opposite.

crim2ma.jpg

However great those biological differences are, it is obvious that its possible to get past them, I mean just look at the chart, despite having these, there are still men and women who gave the wallets back and only a small fraction kept them, if these biological differences had an effect then the women and men side would be almost the opposite.

What's reassuring, is that even a small-scale test like this showed that most people are "normal". A person with proper upraising and manners (no matter how tough or badass he might be otherwise) will not steal $2.10 from a wallet which has ID and other information/coupons inside...

If I lost my wallet which had only like $20 bucks in it, I wouldn't even dream of getting it back despite having ID inside it. That doesn't mean I would do the same as the thief.

Now, if I was poor and had barely anything to live on, and I found a wallet with hundreds of dollars, credit cards, gift cards, etc... I can't say I wouldn't take them. I probably would. But if you can live normally on your own, you have no reason to take something that belongs to another person.

Yeah said before, but women are more emotional then men. (If you haven't noticed than :-s ) They will have more empathy for the sad fellow who lost it.

Sad though that a majority of people in general just kept it though, thats today's society though.

Costantino.png

I don't think this test is accurate in depicting the honesty of some groups

reasons:

1. it depends on what community do they live in

2. 23% of Americans are not Blacks/ African American

3. 100 wallets is barely enough to represent the whole population (as mentioned by nadril), there are more than 300million people in the USA and more than 4 billion in the world, 100 compared to 300000000 is relatively small