Purchasing a Laptop

wakka102

I'm looking to purchase a laptop and my friend recommended this to me:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... =M975-3260

He has the same laptop and I really liked to use it. I plan to use an external hard drive as well because I tend to download alot. I can currently run everything i need to on a 5 year old desktop.

What do you think/what are you're suggestions?

ok, so this PC has everything but enough RAM. Can I purchase more ram from somewhere and install it? Is it easy to install? It is possible to install more RAM onto that laptop?

also, can I plug an external Hard drive into this computer? I'm planning on getting one because I Download lots of things and wont be able to fit it onto this computer alone.

Yes, you can definitely purchase more RAM and install it. I'm not sure how easy it is to install. Installing RAM in laptops is different than in desktop computers. I do believe you could just buy the RAM and have a local computer shop install it for you, really shouldn't cost very much.

I'm honestly not 100% sure about the external hard drive. However, if it connects through the USB, then I don't see any reason at all why it won't work.

ok, so this PC has everything but enough RAM. Can I purchase more ram from somewhere and install it? Is it easy to install? It is possible to install more RAM onto that laptop?

To my knowledge:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... u=C13-6040

Looks like good RAM, and will be compatible and easily recognized by the BIOs, or so I think. Good price...

It's 2gb of RAM, meaning you'd have 3GB of RAM after installing. Though don't take me for it, others may disagree.

I would honestly recommend a MacBook or MacBook Pro. Configuration within them is possible, external hard drives (that are easily portable) can be purchased, up to 500 GB (most I've seen).

Also, Mac OS X Leopard (recently released OS) is the most advanced operating system out there yet, and Macs are extremely safe while playing RuneScape. The external hard drive could work for "Time Machine" (unbelievably advanced data backup).

The official documentation about it can be found on the Apple website.

~Rcty

Rcty

Also, Mac OS X Leopard (recently released OS) is the most advanced operating system out there yet, and Macs are extremely safe while playing RuneScape. The external hard drive could work for "Time Machine" (unbelievably advanced data backup).

You seriously need to stop drinking the Apple Koolaid. :? Throwing out an option that costs a minimum of $1100 without the upgrades you list isn't exactly practical when the OP is looking at laptops in the $600-$800 range. Time Machine isn't exactly 'unbelievably advanced' either when compared to other backup utilities that are available (and have been for years). The only thing Apple did was make it Joe Sixpack compatible. As for the 'safe for RS' comment: RS is safe on any OS. It's the users stupidity that results in rs related harm.

Additionally, the largest hard drive the Apple store lists as an option for any MacBook is 250gb (which costs $200-$300 to add). Your 'most advanced operating system out there yet' also has a glaring file move bug that results in permanent data loss. So much for 'most advanced'.

Someone on my blog recommended this one:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... CatId=2511

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6834147522

Same processor, slightly larger hard drive, same amount of RAM, $200 cheaper. :mrgreen:

I would definitely suggest browsing around Newegg for laptops. Their prices on most electronics are unbeatable for the most part. I'd also say you don't need a $1000 laptop if a 5 year old machine currently runs everything you need. Even a brand new $500 laptop bought today will keep up or exceed the machine you're currently using simply based on the age of the technology.

Making us a list of what you currently use and what you would like to be able to do with the new laptop would help us quite a bit when it comes to makes suggestions.

ok, what about this one?

how does this one look? I'm not the best computer person :x

it seems to have the same Specs, it's almost the same price (about 100$ more), and its not refurbished.

Same one only $20 cheaper and 2gb of ram.

Personally I would stick to a Intel CPU as your looking for a laptop as they perform better.

What's your budget?

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Dragon Boots x4 - all less then 30 kc
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

Solo only - doesn't include barrows[/hide][hide=Stats]

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

ok, what about this one?

how does this one look? I'm not the best computer person :x

it seems to have the same Specs, it's almost the same price (about 100$ more), and its not refurbished.

Same one only $20 cheaper and 2gb of ram.

Personally I would stick to a Intel CPU as your looking for a laptop as they perform better.

What's your budget?

I don't want to go over 1400$, I only have 766$ but I'm going to save as much as I can and hopefully my parents will pay the difference for christmas :D .

The screen on that one is 2" smaller, I wan't the largest screen I can get for a decent price (which seems to be the 17") so I can fit everything where I want it to go. The other laptop has a 17".

My current machine is:

Gateway

Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.60GHz

2.59GHz, 512MB of RAM

I quote this directly from the "system properties".

Making us a list of what you currently use and what you would like to be able to do with the new laptop would help us quite a bit when it comes to makes suggestions.

I don't mean to answer for him but he wants to be able to run music, wmp, runescape, browse the internet, possibly one more program, all at the same time, oh and download very large files(onto the external hard drive I do believe).

Which means he should have a medium end processor, and at least 2GB To 4GB of RAM for the laptop. Everything else I'm an idiot at.

If he just wants to run music/runescape/internet/download large files he doesn't need much. Hell, a decent mid-range duo core intel processor, 2gig's of ram (4 is overkill) and a nice hard drive is it.

I don't mean to answer for him but he wants to be able to run music, wmp, runescape, browse the internet, possibly one more program, all at the same time, oh and download very large files(onto the external hard drive I do believe).

Which means he should have a medium end processor, and at least 2GB To 4GB of RAM for the laptop. Everything else I'm an idiot at.

I do exactly that on a 2ghz Sempron with 768mb of ram and shared video eating into part of that. You by no means needs a dual core and 2gb of RAM. The only real difference is you need that hardware to run Vista at usable speeds. The uses you list are no where near close to using the full potential of a Core Duo + 2gb of RAM if you're running XP.

Vista hardware requirements have made everything into a 'you need massive hardware to do simple tasks' argument, and it pisses me off.

I do exactly that on a 2ghz Sempron with 768mb of ram and shared video eating into part of that. You by no means needs a dual core and 2gb of RAM. The only real difference is you need that hardware to run Vista at usable speeds. The uses you list are no where near close to using the full potential of a Core Duo + 2gb of RAM if you're running XP.

Vista hardware requirements have made everything into a 'you need massive hardware to do simple tasks' argument, and it pisses me off.

so what do you recommend I do?

If all you are going to do is play runescape, listen to music, download large files and you want your laptop to be cheap, then heck, why not get celeron with 512 MB DDR RAM and a geforce2 series video card? (For example), even my moms P3 celeron running at 1.1 GHZ with integrated video and 256 mb SDRAM does the tasks you've listed fairly well. (It runs windows XP with all the extra crap like themes enabled) :| It's impossible to get one of these new anymore though, so you will have to get refurbished (Or most likely used and not refurbished) if you want this type of a computer.