Ivory Coast scam?

BlueLancer

In the Ivory Coast, a huge catholic cathedral was built in view of the most impoverished of citizens. After many years it's barely used, and the hundreds of millions spent on building it could've been easily used to feed, cloth and shelter the poor people there. And only about one third of the people there are christian.

What the heck were they thinking? Does the church just want to show-off "we can build huge cathedrals while your children don't have water and food"

Jesus would be quite disappointed at the world today if he'd be reborn, especially the church...

I'm posting this because it's an outrageous and weird thing to do from the church.

The church is more like an organisation nowadays. Look at the new pope and how much worth is in the Vatican and how much good that would do if spent on people that actually need it

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Well, church has never been a good thing. Midleages for example.

Reality is hundreds of times more beautiful and more interesting than delusions. Fairy tales just tend to be easier to follow than the wonderful intricacies of life.

Mabey the church is trying to convert the people there to Catholisism (sorry about the spelling) by making a big church there to show off.

PDM

Good point. Perhaps by seeing the church in all its glory they may be misguided into believing that religion = prosperity.

Agreed.

I don't really agree in the church. They spend millions of dollars on fancy toys, when people out there could use that money just to survive. Maybe they could have made a less extravagant chapel and ran a shelter out of it.

tomato1ry.png

One thing you have to remember about the vatican is that it is very slow. That Cathedral was probably ordered to be built around 1820 or something, and they've only just finished it. But yeah, the money could be better spent elsewhere. That's why the majority of the money in my church goes to charities (we cover the necessary expences, but we don't pay as much to the discese as we should do). And these are charities that we know will work with the money, as different people from the Church go on volunteer trips with them and help out. My best friends off on one such trip next month.

Goals to get my skills back up to a barely respectable level on the high scores:

mayjest.png

Currently going for Bone to Peaches spell. It's amazing how boring doing the same repetitive task is! Stupid MTA