Whats with my browsers??

ultimatballr

Well for the past 3 days or so (maybe 4) I have been unable to connect to the internet via FireFox or IE7... SS works just fine and my interenet connection is also just 'dandy'. The only thing not working is my browsers, they are not connecting to the internet.

I am now online with SwiftSwitches browser, SwiftBrowse, and it works fine too but its a bother to me not having the tabs that I grew so accustomed to.

Here are some pics of what the browsers say:

Mozilla FireFox:

FireFox doesn't even seem to be loading up now -.-

Internet Explorer:

12-06-2007_00-19-29.png

--------------------------------------------------

My last resort is finding another browser.

--------------------------------------------------

Things I have attempted:

1- Restarting my internet connection

2- Restarting my computer

3- Unplugging all my internet cords, restarting my comp and then re-wiring the internet and my comp

4- Restoring my computer to a previous date when the browsers worked properly

None of the above worked.

I am running Vista if it matters and I am not a computer wiz, or even half-wiz I know how to get what I want but specs is something I have no idea about. All I can say is its a Gateway Labtop.

Any help is much appreciated.

Apparently, my signature was to big.

Sounds like you have changed the internet options within IE and FF.

You need to set the connection options to whatever your normally using.

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Dragon Boots x4 - all less then 30 kc
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

Solo only - doesn't include barrows[/hide][hide=Stats]

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

Have you tried reinstalling Firefox or IE?

Yes I reinstalled Firefox yesterday before I restored my comp.

You need to set the connection options to whatever your normally using.

But I didn't touch anything. How could these settings have changed if I didn't touch nothing?

Windows Key + R

then type ping runescape.com

I did that and it opened up the "Run" window.

I typed "Ping runescape.com".. after about 15-25 secs it says "Request Timed Out"

Ok check how IE is connecting to the internet first.[hide=Checking how IE is connecting to the internet]

optionsyp0.gif

\/The second window (on the right) appears when you click "LAN settings"

netconfigwg7.gif

Without your on a proxy your settings should be the same as the above image, it they aren't change them and click ok. Then close IE and try again.[/hide]

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

I wouldnt worry about ping not working on runescape.com using windows+r that's normal.

when you say you tried reinstalling firefox.. did you uninstall firefox completely first including folder etc, if you just installed without uninstalling it would have kept the same settings.

does seem strange that swift would work but not ie and ff.

Have you done a full spyware and virus scan etc?

I know it may seem a stupid queestion as it would probably come up that there are no problems if swift works, but have u clicked "diagnose connection problems"?

also any errors in your system logs?

simple thing that no one's asked yet, have you blocked them with your firewall? or has your firewall automatically blocked them?

Deep_pain.gif

Co-Founder of KoA over 18's clan. Founded 2002. An RS clan for adults only.

Now Recruiting

Ok check how IE is connecting to the internet first.[hide=Checking how IE is connecting to the internet]

optionsyp0.gif

\/The second window (on the right) appears when you click "LAN settings"

netconfigwg7.gif

Without your on a proxy your settings should be the same as the above image, it they aren't change them and click ok. Then close IE and try again.[/hide]

I did that, no luck <.<

---------------------------------------------

when you say you tried reinstalling firefox.. did you uninstall firefox completely first including folder etc, if you just installed without uninstalling it would have kept the same settings. I uninstalled and then reinstalled

does seem strange that swift would work but not ie and ff.

Have you done a full spyware and virus scan etc? NO... my McAfee subscription ran out like a month or 2 ago but this is the first time this is happening :-s

I know it may seem a stupid queestion as it would probably come up that there are no problems if swift works, but have u clicked "diagnose connection problems"? Yea I have I get this... [hide]12-07-2007_11-45-46.png

When I click it, it says repairing, about 5 secs later I get this:

12-07-2007_11-46-03.png

I close IE, reopen it and BAM!, nothing...

[/hide]

also any errors in your system logs? No idea what you mean when you say this...

simple thing that no one's asked yet, have you blocked them with your firewall? or has your firewall automatically blocked them? I think my windows firewall auto blocked them, I added IE to the exceptions list but nothing, still getting the same thing :wall:

I saw you restarted internet connection, but try this anyway, it sorted out my friends internet.

do this:

1) Power off your computer

2) Power off your router (if you dont have a router skip this)

3) Unplug your modem.

4) Wait 30 seconds

5) Replug modem

6) Power up your router

7) Power up your computer

this should work. Post if it doesnt.

Ash- Did that and nothing <.<

Mil- I read throught that article, skimming and rereading points that I thought were relevant, tried a couple of things and still not working -.-

I get this problem when i try to send emails, post large posts on these forums or upload pictures...the loading bar takes ages to complete then when it does complete "internet explorer cannot display the webpage" whereas the connection is fine and i can do everything else.

Im stumped as well :-k

It isn't in the castle, It isn't in the mist, It's a calling of the waters, As they break to show, The new Black Death, With reactors aglow, Do you think your security, Can keep you in purity, You will not shake us off above or below

Scottish friction

Scottish fiction

my McAfee subscription ran out like a month or 2 ago but this is the first time this is happening :-s
I would either renew the subscription or get rid of MacAfee and install either Avast Free or AVG Free. A anti virus without up to date definitions is like using a single bucket of water on a full grown forest fire, it makes you fell safe but does very little.

The issue is how the browsers are connecting to the internet not the connection itself.

What seems to be happening is swiftswitcher is using one set of rules to get to the internet whereas the browsers are using another.

I'm not sure how you would check how swiftswitcher is connecting to the internet, but I recommend you find out it is and use the same settings for IE. If IE then works try the same with FF.

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

my McAfee subscription ran out like a month or 2 ago but this is the first time this is happening :-s
I would either renew the subscription or get rid of MacAfee and install either Avast Free or AVG Free. A anti virus without up to date definitions is like using a single bucket of water on a full grown forest fire, it makes you fell safe but does very little.

The issue is how the browsers are connecting to the internet not the connection itself.

What seems to be happening is swiftswitcher is using one set of rules to get to the internet whereas the browsers are using another.

I'm not sure how you would check how swiftswitcher is connecting to the internet, but I recommend you find out it is and use the same settings for IE. If IE then works try the same with FF.

I downloaded AVG and removed McAfee... and now it works!! Thanks ::' ... FF is running a bit slow tho <.< , can't get anything right :roll:

if using a free virus scanner it might be worth downloading a program specifically for spyware / malware. Most payed virus scanners have a good one built in, the free ones rarely do.

Spybot is good, a lot of people use adaware, or sarch for others.

I would get spybot, but personally I turn off the protection services, they just slow the computer down, in my view it's better to clean every so often than have something on that permanantly takes up memory and processor bandwith.

Deep_pain.gif

Co-Founder of KoA over 18's clan. Founded 2002. An RS clan for adults only.

Now Recruiting