Impossible to buy Pure Essence

Quelch

That would be the lovely price controls in action. They simply do not allow the GE to respond to market changes.

So at first it was impossible to sell essence, then it was useful for a while, and now for several days it may be impossible to buy.

I predicted that this would happen in an article the day the GE was released. Jagex needs to loosen it up a bit.

Worrying. When JageX removes the free player to player trading this can mean that specific items will not be trade able for days while the GE is slowly adjusting to the new trends.

Yep. Exactly why I have been pleading with Jagex to fix the GE.

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

Here's a quote from Jagex on April 20, 2006 when they made pure essence:

Over the last few weeks we have banned literally hundreds of accounts a day for macroing at the rune essence mine. However the bans were ineffective as the abusers could just create more low level accounts that they didn't care about to mine more. We also track trades so we can ban the recipiant of the illegally obtained items, but the abusers in this case were swapping the runes for gp, and then selling the gp for real world money on auction sites. Of course the person buying the gp for real world money gets banned, because we track the money they received in an unbalanced trade to a macro account, but the seller doesn't care that their customers get banned shortly after, as they have their real world money by then.

The fundamental problem is that rune essence was one of the few areas of the game which could be used to generate a reasonable amount of RuneScape money on a 'throwaway' low level free account. Normally to earn large amounts of money quickly you need to level up an account first, and then of course you care if it gets banned so our normal deterrent is effective.

The only people who should be significantly affected by this are players mining very large amounts of essence on free accounts purely to sell to members. There are better way of making money on high level free accounts anyway, so this change should only really affect players trying to making large amounts of money on a low level free account - which is of course the exact idea.

Pure essence was around 40-50 each at the time, and went to around 100 then dropped to 80-90 eventually. Normal essence dropped to around 40 then to 30-35 apiece.

The obvious solution I can see is to merge pure and normal essence back into one essence. The only people losing money are the mass merchants, and has Jagex seemed to be nice to merchants lately? Some f2p merchants lost a lot of money on the original update anyway.

I'm guessing this would set the price to 50-70 each, a great price range for low level f2p players to make money off it. Autoers would only be able to sell around 50 essence every 15 minutes - killed.

Now that we don't have RWT, random events and pure essence can be removed. I expect other things can be as well but can't think of them off the top of my head.

2496 Completionist

**Edit: Posted exactly what the guy above said**

Yes, I can see the remerger of essense happening. Any other anti-bot and anti-RWT aspects of RS you think will go away thanks to these updates? Perhaps a few of the more annoying Random Events perhaps?

Granted, this would only happen if the presence of bots begin to drop more dramatically.

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit