Bounty Hunter That Uterrly Worthless Substitute for Pking

chi13

:P Hi everybody, I'm here to give you all my opinion on the new Bounty Hunter Minigame for Runescape. Guess what, its F2P isn't it nice of Jagex to give them an update :D

Now skillers can roam runescape freely and pkers have their own little sandbox to play in. Everybody's happy and the system works perfectly right.

Well thats how it works out on paper. In truth bounty hunter seems to strike at the heart of runescape. You're probably thinking, what's wrong with bounty hunter I'll just be a good little boy and attack my target so I don't have to deal with the 180 second penalty. Problem is there's a good chance you're target has a crew of 10+ friends to make him that much harder to kill. So while you risk your life to fight someone who's in no danger of dying thanks to his crew..he gets your items over and over again. =D> Well thats no problem if you're a clan pker or whatever, but for those of us who don't have time to gather a group of 20+ pkers or keep getting bsed by the teams we try to pick up at the mouth of the caves this is a HUGE problem. Another point, unlike the skulling system of the old the new system doesn't account for self defense. If I kill someone in self defense and happen to want his items for going through all the trouble I get slapped with the 180 second penalty anyway. Is this because killing anyone besides my original target is evil (as attacking an unskulled player in the original wilderness was, or is it because Jagex wants to pursue its own ulterior motives) -.- Fact is, the whole bounty hunter experience makes it impossible to form friendships with people who could help you in a fight. In the old wilderness system, if you were edgeville pking, you would fight someone for a few rounds. If you lost you'd say good fight and you might even make friends with the victor. In the new system any player going it solo is instantly destroyed by a massive clan or buy a motley crew of one iteming schmos.. Bounty Hunter is a joke. Rather than rewarding players for their risks, for their hours of grinding, for learning new innovative ways of pking Bounty Hunter (aka "The New and Improved Wilderness) simply crushes them with a giant fist composed of clans and one itemers. <.<

Don't even get me started on the level restrictions 3 caves for all the different levels. Jagex are you out of your [wagon] licking minds?!? In the old wilderness player could fight against their equals, well at least based on combat levels, in this wilderness new players are crushed over and over again by teams of players who may be many levels ahead of them. Is this player friendly? I don't think so.

Another thing about the new update is the environment. I spent most of my time in the wild before the update. I'd hang around the monastery in edgville and attack pkers then run back down and heal, just being a noob. Later on, I became more serious, buying food and pking just outside of edgville. I'd go on the ocassional trip to varrock with a team or go to the castle. Some of my favorite memories are from pking with my little brother at the bandits camp and having him cook pizza for the whole team and being enslaved by higher levels to make pizza XD. Sounds stupid, but its the little stupid, simple things that made this game enjoyable for me. The little stupid things like staking higher level players just to challenge myself, making friends with other pkers at edgville, and giving a friend in need a few items or some money to get him back on his feet, these things are all gone.

The staking update was TERRIBLE. I quit then, thinking things would be better in a few months but when I returned to find this ABOMINATION in the place of pking..... I just don't think I can play anymore. I know that when I quit, I'll probably be replaced, so will all the other pkers/stakers/merchants who quit because of these updates, but how fun will the game be when the only people who enjoy it are immature ten year old miniclippers? If you thought "The Pure Problem" was bad, you've got a whole nother thing coming. <.< and for those of you who think adding a solo bounty hunter will make the game better. Well, consider how much you'd be pjed when everyone within 50 levels can attack you at whim....everyone. The way I see it Jagex just doesn't care about pkers (or seemingly anyone who enjoys activities a little more competitive than skilling) enough to even give them a decent replacement. They told us if you don't like staking try pking...ok I did that...what do I do now? :-s

Opinions?

A REPLACEMENT?

Ok picture this, they replace your yew and magic trees with a tree that if you attempt to cut it alone your axe breaks, if you cut it with a group as soon as you get a log you get a skull on your head, all the other woodcutters attack you and you cant log out for 3 minutes.

Bounty hunter and tournaments were not a replacement, they are garbage.

:thumbsup: Yea, I read your post earlier and decided to voice my own opinion on the topic XD

A REPLACEMENT?

Ok picture this, they replace your yew and magic trees with a tree that if you attempt to cut it alone your axe breaks, if you cut it with a group as soon as you get a log you get a skull on your head, all the other woodcutters attack you and you cant log out for 3 minutes.

Between duels, BH, Pits, Castle Wars, and Clan Wars you have all the pvp you could ever need.

"But zomg, robert we don't make money!!!"

So what? The majority of skills and other activities don't make money, most of them make you loose money. Are you looking for a fight with something that has a brain or are you just hoping to get rich quick?

.Not to mention that skillers don't seem to understand that things like the Runite Rocks were in 46 wild for a reason.

Revenants are tougher than most PKers anyways.

Between duels, BH, Pits, Castle Wars, and Clan Wars you have all the pvp you could ever need.

So what? The majority of skills and other activities don't make money, most of them make you loose money. Are you looking for a fight with something that has a brain or are you just hoping to get rich quick?

.Not to mention that skillers don't seem to understand that things like the Runite Rocks were in 46 wild for a reason.

To be honest, when I play Runescape I'm looking to have FUN. What a surprise. I'm not looking to have to adapt to some flavorless image of the game I once used to enjoy. 30k Stakes for duel arena!?!? How can I enjoy dueling when I use more than that in runes arrows and bolts. May be I don't have mills from endless fletching...maybe I pked for subsistence?

<.<

Also I know what you're thinking summoning will fix everything, well what happens when summoning sucks, what happens when its P2P only (as it probably will be) what happens then?

Also good luck on that 99 magic. Yew prices ftw! :XD:

A REPLACEMENT?

I'm hoping to get money for fighting someone with a brain. Why now is this not possible? Why am I only allowed to make money by investing or skilling? The first I don't mind (but requires a lot of money to begin with), but the second is intolerable. Why is it that in the past one got rewarded for being an exceptional player and not a huge nerd that had time to spend clicking stuff?

They might be able to hit 40+, but they sure are dumb. People have no reason to be scared of them and many runite miners simply aren't anymore.

Well, I must say that I think you actually formed a pretty good argument.

However, I must simply say there is more to runescape than just pking. You could do any number of skills, clan wars, quest or just hang out.

Make a goal to achieve and achieve it. If the game isn't what you are looking for, then you could always play something else. That is the beauty of the internet.

If summoning isn't good, I may be done for good too. I am way to old to be playing the game according to most of you anyway.

felter_laur.png

THANK YOU, finally more people see the light. it was fun in the beginning when people actually brought in items but now anyone with the second skull rating (or higher) without a clan is toast.

Its funny, jagex doesn't support clans (i'm talking realistically supporting clans "clan chat" was a seriously flawed joke that even failed at the joke part) but yet they make updates like BH that make it a 1 item or massively swarm people but generally a combination of the two. The people I'm really sad for are the level FIFTIES that go in and a lvl 99 - 1specs them..... honor? ROFL!! NO, sorry someone deleted that.

in the end jagex slaughtered or "nerfed" pking. But i think it even goes beyond nerfing. someone in jagex castle goes "hmm lets just entirely remake the way pvp works without asking anyone what they think! -- do you think anyone will see a difference if we say its for their own good to get rid of those autoers?"

i don't play psykick anymore... i play 2ed: "pure fett"

26081 to get 99 herblore

With dueling I was never into it much, just messed around a tad but i can see their point if they are using dragfire or onyx bolts and barraging...thats like 2 onyx bolts? it would have to be 300k to be worth anyones time as far as dueling goes.

but you know what really annoys me? you can't put that arrogant jerk in his place when they mouth off to you or are just being a total jerk in general. There have been many a person i have dueled on my pure or my main account because their mouth wouldn't stop and they wouldn't back down from a challenge. Now what do i say? i have to ask them how many quest points they have :XD: and find out how much that corresponds to (it doesn't really matter how much because its a waste of MY time even if i win for 30k --- 8 black drags)

i don't play psykick anymore... i play 2ed: "pure fett"

26081 to get 99 herblore

No. None of these are like the old wilderness. Your ignorance is absolutely astonishing.

It doesn't have anything to do with money. It's all about the gaming style. Pits and Bounty Hunter are near clones of eachother anyways...

However, I must simply say there is more to runescape than just pking. You could do any number of skills, clan wars, quest or just hang out.

I hate skilling and wasting time. I bet if they took out all skills in the game, you'd feel exactly the same as I do.

Make a goal to achieve and achieve it. If the game isn't what you are looking for, then you could always play something else. That is the beauty of the internet.

Woah there, so even though I spent tons of money on this game I have to "go find something else"? :roll: I don't want to "play something else", I want to pay the game that I flippin' payed for.

unoalexi.png

Here be dragons ^

Dragon of the Day

ryZi.gif

Hi chi13,

You've made some good points in your rant.

Maybe you should post this on the RSOF where Jagex staff can actually read, some of what I personally feel, are very valid points.

You should be able to post there again now the worst of the spam has subsided.

Good luck with your rants where ever you choose to post them :)

---

Hi Unoalexi,

Some good criticisms too.

Maybe you could follow this rant and post your counter-points there too.

I would say personally that Bounty Hunter is nothing like PK-ing used to be. That's no surprise since apart from being PvP the rules, and the game-play emerging there are vastly different to what we had.

Sadly though I can confirm from what Jagex has told us all (via News Articles and stickies on the ORSF) that the old PK-ing won't be returning. For those who wish for more interesting PvP we have to rant about what we will believe will partially fix Bounty Hunter.

However I believe Bounty Hunter is limited in what it can do, with part of it being Free-to-Play and therefore accessible to throwaway accounts. Instead in Members worlds there needs to vastly new PvP areas built from the ground up, and possibly spanning entirely different planes off the surface of Gielinor into new dimensions.

Personally, I feel it's time we gained access to the plane of the Mahjarrat which seems the natural place to migrate a lot of PvP features players loved, and new ones besides, where Zamorak will be rallying troops, and the God Wars have been going on since Guthix all but banished the armies from Gielinor (apart from isolated pockets like the God Wars Dungeon).

Sadly the *old* Wilderness as it was, is gone, and I doubt very much given the responses we've received, that it ever will be coming back.

Regards,

Fey.

feywarriorgreenlu9.gif

banneruh3.jpg

Hi chi13,

You've made some good points in your rant.

Maybe you should post this on the RSOF where Jagex staff can actually read, some of what I personally feel, are very valid points.

You should be able to post there again now the worst of the spam has subsided.

Good luck with your rants where ever you choose to post them :)

---

Hi Unoalexi,

Some good criticisms too.

Maybe you could follow this rant and post your counter-points there too.

I would say personally that Bounty Hunter is nothing like PK-ing used to be. That's no surprise since apart from being PvP the rules, and the game-play emerging there are vastly different to what we had.

Sadly though I can confirm from what Jagex has told us all (via News Articles and stickies on the ORSF) that the old PK-ing won't be returning. For those who wish for more interesting PvP we have to rant about what we will believe will partially fix Bounty Hunter.

However I believe Bounty Hunter is limited in what it can do, with part of it being Free-to-Play and therefore accessible to throwaway accounts. Instead in Members worlds there needs to vastly new PvP areas built from the ground up, and possibly spanning entirely different planes off the surface of Gielinor into new dimensions.

Personally, I feel it's time we gained access to the plane of the Mahjarrat which seems the natural place to migrate a lot of PvP features players loved, and new ones besides, where Zamorak will be rallying troops, and the God Wars have been going on since Guthix all but banished the armies from Gielinor (apart from isolated pockets like the God Wars Dungeon).

Sadly the *old* Wilderness as it was, is gone, and I doubt very much given the responses we've received, that it ever will be coming back.

Regards,

Fey.

::' Thanks for the compliments, its good to know my time spent online wasn't entirely wasted. I would post this rant on the RSOF but I've cancelled my runescape subscription and I won't be renewing it if you know what I mean. If you or anyone else could post it there for me with these suggestions I'd be elated.

As for the suggestions.

May be Jagex has been looking at pvp all wrong since some of the earliest updates to the player versus player combat system were made. If jagex wants to move forward, I suggest something new something innovative. Like 9-10 servers just for pvp, imagine each server complete with its own map, the ice server, fire server jungle server (I know it sounds stupid but I'm just pulling this out of my [wagon] :XD: ) Or we could have it like the old days when players could attack other players anywhere...anywhere on that server that is. I think players would find these solutions much more satisfactory than being "canned" in the bounty hunter arena. Just the thought of how little thought was put into it pisses me off, can it even be compared to Karamja or Ape Island?

A REPLACEMENT?

As for the suggestions.

May be Jagex has been looking at pvp all wrong since some of the earliest updates to the player versus player combat system were made. If jagex wants to move forward, I suggest something new something innovative. Like 9-10 servers just for pvp, imagine each server complete with its own map, the ice server, fire server jungle server (I know it sounds stupid but I'm just pulling this out of my [wagon] :XD: ) Or we could have it like the old days when players could attack other players anywhere...anywhere on that server that is. I think players would find these solutions much more satisfactory than being "canned" in the bounty hunter arena. Just the thought of how little thought was put into it pisses me off, can it even be compared to Karamja or Ape Island?

I've given some thought to this and I am currently working with quite a number of other players to build some very large suggestions for replacements. I won't post the like to my thread here though without your permission first.

The problem with PvP servers, is that RuneScape simply isn't set-up that way. While the system allows for some features to be turned on or off:

e.g.

* Members Features

* LootShare

* Bounty Hunter

* Duel Tournaments.

The vast majority of features in the game are always on and cannot be turned off. Instead the Themed World feature simply suggests to players what additional activities might also be carried out on those servers.

The idea is that the new 'Members' version for a PvP only areas which only established players can only gain access (no place for players just off Tutorial Island I'm afraid) would give more of the options, some of which you've suggested here.

PvP only servers though, is I'm afraid something that isn't supported by the current infrastructure of the RuneScape's servers, and though it sounds fine, is idea imported from other games built vastly differently to RuneScape. Due to that even if Jagex were to introduce PvP only servers at some point, a lot of reprogramming and development of the basic infrastructure would need to be done to accommodate it, and likely would take as long as POHs (Player Owned Houses) to introduce which was 3 years or possibly longer. To get something much sooner for those who like PvP we need to work within the existing infrastructure and suggest content that would fit within that.

That's why I'm personally aiming at suggesting whole new areas of content that's geared towards PvP, that won't allow access to new or inexperienced players. By keeping new accounts out of these areas a lot more freedom will hopefully exist to conduct the kind of PvP we lost with the Wilderness.

While you're free to suggest PvP serves, sadly personally, I can't see such vast infrastructure changes taking place any-time soon, unless they're already in the works (which of course we can't know as players).

Looking forward to seeing more discussion on PvP solutions here and elsewhere.

Regards,

Fey

feywarriorgreenlu9.gif

banneruh3.jpg

*sniffle

A REPLACEMENT?

Does everyone in this rant hate skillers?!

you know this crummy update hurt skillers too.

now skillers can't sell supplies to pkers, so they are worth less

no more green dragons cuz revenants are overpowered.

and don't get me started on the rune rocks...

The worst thing of all though is that i had planned on getting ancient magic then start pking but this update came first. now i doubt i'll even bother getting anchients or even ever becoming a member again.

This is no replacement for pking. :evil:

2imak3l.png

i have a suggestion though, bring back the ability to attack people in the wild, so at least if they call you a noob you can beat them down. Just don't make people lose thier items if they die to another player, then there is no trading. perhaps this wouldn't work, but it would make the wild even more dangerous, as you could be killing things then all of a sudden someone comes, kills you and you end up at your respawn point and have to go back.

i have had people kill me for no items, even when i told them i had no items and didn't fight back, so i am sure people would attack.

then we could get rid of some or all of the revenants

this is just an idea and i don't know if it would work

2imak3l.png