Waterfiend Setup

smartme

EDIT: I completed my trip and wrote a summary of my experience in a reply to this thread, which you can find on the second page. Spoiler - Guthan owns!

I've never been in the Waterfiend / Mithril Dragon Lair before, but I just got a task to kill some 150+ waterfiends. I finished Otto's training last night, so I finally have access to them.

What's an ideal equipment setup to fight them? My stats are all high(94 att, 93 str, 85 def, 81 pray), and I have full Bando's with DFS or Karil's or Guthan's or whatever the best armor would be. What should I use?

Well they won't use melee. They use range and magic, and range is by far the most dangerous.

So using Karils is adviced (high magic defence), along with protect from range prayer (so you won't get unwanted piercings).

Use Dragon Mace or any crush weapon, it's said that you hit them quiet hard with crush attacks.

You can't use poison, as they are immune.

U will need a good ammount of pray pots, since you are praying non stop (unless you have a deathwish...)

Take sharks too and happy slaying!

"We had gay burglars the other night. They broke in and rearranged the furniture."

Umoria.png

I heard that a Saradomin Sword works well since it has a pretty strong crush attack (not a Sara Godsword, but the Sara sword which is worth about 9-10 mill right now). There's a video guide to killing Waterfiends and I think it shows someone using a Dragon Mace and a Sara Sword to kill the waterfiends effectively.

Oh yeah another thing, the Waterfiends in the Chaos Tunnels, going there is basically suicide.

Waterfiend + Multicombat = Not fun!

Good luck!

Dr Locust <-- Click for my blog...

Dr_Locust.png

+2000 Total, PhD in Questing, Woodcutting, Agility, Thieving, and Firemaking

67njlaf.jpg

Wear Karils body and skirt and make sure the weapon you use is set to crush. Sara Sword works fine. I don't know if a godsword has a crush option. All other gear just use your standard slayer gear.

In inven bring prayer pots and super str and atk pots. Pray range the whole time.

For healing either use Guthans or Bunyips. I prefer using a Bunyip (they drop raw fish so Swallow Whole scrolls are great) and having Guthans in inventory just in case.

cat_sabbath.png

Trust the Gene Genie!

080330085023zn7.png

http://www.zybez.net/community/index.php?showtopic=1029727

Its zybez, but its the best guide for waterfiends I've ever seen, and the setup is the no-holds-barred best. If you have a bunyip you can use that instead of guthans.

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

080330085023zn7.png

http://www.zybez.net/community/index.php?showtopic=1029727

Its zybez, but its the best guide for waterfiends I've ever seen, and the setup is the no-holds-barred best. If you have a bunyip you can use that instead of guthans.

The setup is pretty much perfect.

The inventory... it's horrid. Pretty unupdated, no Pure sets, food, and guthans.

I bring 2 pure sets, 13 p pots, bunyip, house teles.

[Summoning guide (AOW)] [Slayer guide] [Melee & Brawl player]

inuyashakent-2.png

Ah, yes. Forgot to mention that the invo is possibly the worst I've ever seen. Bring 2 bunyips, house teles, 3 pure sets, a couple of backup tuna potatos, and plenty of prayer pots. The guide itself is still good.

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

I take...

+Worn

-Black mask or neitiznot(slayer helm for me now woot)

-Glory

-Godsword or sarasword(I'm starting to preferr a BGS there because the added prayer bonus makes a huge difference)

-karils top

-karils bottom

-dragon boots

-Ring of wealth(I personally think that the Fremminick rings are a waste, and waterfiends actuallly have good drops after the slayer update, also this may effect charm drops)

-Quest cape(a trimmed skillcape or a fire cape would be better, of course)

+Inventory

-Home teletabs

-50 Swallow whole scrolls(usually only use 3 or so)

-Holy wrench

-Dragon mace(for special attacks, remember to change to crush)

-1 of each basic charm (placeholder)

-2 Super attack and super strength potions

-8 prayer potions

-1 Bunyip(I can usually last for the time between the Bunyips death and the time until prayer potions run out on HP that I have)

-Slayer gem on task

-Games necklace (to the deposit box after teleport)

+Stuff and what not

Just run south passed the dragons with magic prayer on, go west and then north to the waterfiends. switch to range prayer, sip super pots, and start killing them. Use the 4 mace specs when available(remember to switch style). I sip the super pots again every time that I start using a new prayer potion(other than the first one). That way, they both run out at the same time.

Also, remeber to pick up raw lobsters for extra food, (I can't cook sharks) they drop 10 lobsters at a time now, and 4 sharks(I think). Also, I leave on rapid heal the entire time.

I'm sure I forgot something...so someone else finish that off.

Barrows: 9~2 V Brass,V Flail,2 Dh Plate,V Helm,V Skirt,T Legs,Malevolent Shield DKing: 48~6 W Ring,13 A Ring,8 M Staff,9 S Ring,7 B Ring,3 Seercull
Dragon Drops: 500+~50+ Med,26 Axe,3 Chain,10+ Legs,10+ Spear,2 D2h,10+ L Half,49 Boots,2 DDs,10+ Lump,9 Claws,50+ Dagger,14 Visage,50+ Mace,4 Scimitar,7 Hasta,Baxe,50+ Long,30+ Royal,2 Kite,4 Ward,2 Plate,Staff,Hammer,Limbs, Mattock,Halberd
GWD: 156~4 S Staff,50+ Shard,9 B Tass,13 B Plate,5 B Boots,6 A Plate,11 S Sword,8 A Hilt,4 A Skirt,9 A Helm,S Hilt,3 B Hilt,B Glove,2 A Buckler,Z Ward,Z Garb,2 Z Boots,B Shield,B Helm

Corp: 3~Elysian,2 Sp Sh Nex: 6~Torva Legs,Cere,P cowl,Z bow,2 T boots + GWD2: 9~2 Glaive,Wand,2 Crest,Blade,2 Essence,Core Araxyte: 5~Web,3 Pheromone,Fang + Raids: 4~3 Codex,P Boots  + Trails: 2~Bob Shirt,Fortunate

Etc: 64~3 Sceptre,B Mask,16 Whip,2 Focus Sight,5 D Bow,7 SOL,Ragefire,2 Steadfast,Arma Staff,6 Rider Armor,5 Vine,2 Razorback,2 A Wand,Abby Orb,3 Blood Shard,6 Hydrix,Gland,Asc Xbow
[spoiler=Capes]Quest Cape Aquired 12-7-07 ~ Level 93 + + + Completionist Cape Aquired 5-22-15 ~ Level 138
Hitpoints Cape Aquired 9-21-09 ~ Level 131 + Magic Cape Aquired 9-24-09 Attack Cape Aquired 3-5-10 ~ Level 135 Summoning Cape Aquired 3-12-10

Strength Cape Aquired 6-1-11 ~ Level 137 Fire Cape Aquired 6-23-11 Defence Cape Aquired 7-5-11 + Ranged Cape Aquired 8-1-11 Kiln Cape Aquired 2-26-12 ~ Level 138
Dungeoneering Cape Aquired 4-22-12 + Slayer Cape Aquired 6-25-14 ~ Level 200 + Herblore Cape Acquired 12-9-14 ~ Level 138 Prayer Cape Acquired 12-20-14
Agility Cape Acquired 1-4-15 + Hunter Cape Acquired 1-30-15 Construction Cape Acquired 1-31-15 Crafting Cape Acquired 2-22-15 Thieving Cape Acquired 3-18-15
Runecrafting Cape Acquired 4-14-15 Mining Cape Acquired 4-19-15 Fishing Cape Acquired 4-25-15 Firemaking Cape Acquired 4-26-15 Woodcutting Cape Acquired 4-26-15
Cooking Cape Acquired 4-26-15Smithing Cape Acquired 4-28-15 Farming Cape Acquired 4-29-15 Divination Cape Acquired 5-3-15 Dungeoneering Mastery 5-4-15
Fletching Cape Acquired 5-4-15 Max Cape Acquired 5-4-15 + Invention Cape Acquired 11-9-16 Invention Mastery 5-16-19 + Archaeology Cape Acquired 10-30-20

Don't use godsword or ring of wealth, godsword is proven slower and waterfiends rare drops are junk.

DeviledEgg24.png

Don't use godsword or ring of wealth, godsword is proven slower and waterfiends rare drops are junk.

They really are not that much slower on each kill than sara swords. I actually took both on one run and switched back and forth just to test that. However, even if each kill is slightly slower(and sometimes kills are faster, it varies of course), you get more kills in in the end because your prayer lasts longer. I personally noticed the difference between 60ish crimsons per trip going up to 70 to 75ish(79 is my personal best). I'm not quite sure what the standard "average" is now, and if that is bad, then you can disregard my advice :lol:

I'm sure that some people may disagree, and I used to say that too, but you should really test it out for yourself, and just use whatever you like best.

Barrows: 9~2 V Brass,V Flail,2 Dh Plate,V Helm,V Skirt,T Legs,Malevolent Shield DKing: 48~6 W Ring,13 A Ring,8 M Staff,9 S Ring,7 B Ring,3 Seercull
Dragon Drops: 500+~50+ Med,26 Axe,3 Chain,10+ Legs,10+ Spear,2 D2h,10+ L Half,49 Boots,2 DDs,10+ Lump,9 Claws,50+ Dagger,14 Visage,50+ Mace,4 Scimitar,7 Hasta,Baxe,50+ Long,30+ Royal,2 Kite,4 Ward,2 Plate,Staff,Hammer,Limbs, Mattock,Halberd
GWD: 156~4 S Staff,50+ Shard,9 B Tass,13 B Plate,5 B Boots,6 A Plate,11 S Sword,8 A Hilt,4 A Skirt,9 A Helm,S Hilt,3 B Hilt,B Glove,2 A Buckler,Z Ward,Z Garb,2 Z Boots,B Shield,B Helm

Corp: 3~Elysian,2 Sp Sh Nex: 6~Torva Legs,Cere,P cowl,Z bow,2 T boots + GWD2: 9~2 Glaive,Wand,2 Crest,Blade,2 Essence,Core Araxyte: 5~Web,3 Pheromone,Fang + Raids: 4~3 Codex,P Boots  + Trails: 2~Bob Shirt,Fortunate

Etc: 64~3 Sceptre,B Mask,16 Whip,2 Focus Sight,5 D Bow,7 SOL,Ragefire,2 Steadfast,Arma Staff,6 Rider Armor,5 Vine,2 Razorback,2 A Wand,Abby Orb,3 Blood Shard,6 Hydrix,Gland,Asc Xbow
[spoiler=Capes]Quest Cape Aquired 12-7-07 ~ Level 93 + + + Completionist Cape Aquired 5-22-15 ~ Level 138
Hitpoints Cape Aquired 9-21-09 ~ Level 131 + Magic Cape Aquired 9-24-09 Attack Cape Aquired 3-5-10 ~ Level 135 Summoning Cape Aquired 3-12-10

Strength Cape Aquired 6-1-11 ~ Level 137 Fire Cape Aquired 6-23-11 Defence Cape Aquired 7-5-11 + Ranged Cape Aquired 8-1-11 Kiln Cape Aquired 2-26-12 ~ Level 138
Dungeoneering Cape Aquired 4-22-12 + Slayer Cape Aquired 6-25-14 ~ Level 200 + Herblore Cape Acquired 12-9-14 ~ Level 138 Prayer Cape Acquired 12-20-14
Agility Cape Acquired 1-4-15 + Hunter Cape Acquired 1-30-15 Construction Cape Acquired 1-31-15 Crafting Cape Acquired 2-22-15 Thieving Cape Acquired 3-18-15
Runecrafting Cape Acquired 4-14-15 Mining Cape Acquired 4-19-15 Fishing Cape Acquired 4-25-15 Firemaking Cape Acquired 4-26-15 Woodcutting Cape Acquired 4-26-15
Cooking Cape Acquired 4-26-15Smithing Cape Acquired 4-28-15 Farming Cape Acquired 4-29-15 Divination Cape Acquired 5-3-15 Dungeoneering Mastery 5-4-15
Fletching Cape Acquired 5-4-15 Max Cape Acquired 5-4-15 + Invention Cape Acquired 11-9-16 Invention Mastery 5-16-19 + Archaeology Cape Acquired 10-30-20

They really are not that much slower on each kill than sara swords. I actually took both on one run and switched back and forth just to test that. However, even if each kill is slightly slower(and sometimes kills are faster, it varies of course), you get more kills in in the end because your prayer lasts longer. I personally noticed the difference between 60ish crimsons per trip going up to 70 to 75ish(79 is my personal best). I'm not quite sure what the standard "average" is now, and if that is bad, then you can disregard my advice :lol:

I'm sure that some people may disagree, and I used to say that too, but you should really test it out for yourself, and just use whatever you like best.

I did test it, Godsword is junk at Waterfiends. Prayer bonus doesn't really matter, it's not worth killing it 30% slower.

inuyashakent-2.png

Since you're there for slayer, definitely use the black mask. No reason not to.

Karils top and bottom, fury, basically whatever you want in those slots, focusing mainly on magic defence.

With Void Melee or Black Mask, Godsword is faster than Saradomin Sword (according to a guide on these forums that I think was lost in the rollback), so use a godsword if you have it, and if you don't, Saradomin Sword, Zamorak Spear, Dragon Mace, or Veracs Flail.

For a recent task there, I used 8 prayer pots, 2 pure sets, 1 Bunyip, and small amounts of food. Simply pray ranged and hack away with crush attacks.

If you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.

MischlingsSH.png

Karils top and bottom, fury, basically whatever you want in those slots, focusing mainly on magic defence.

With Void Melee or Black Mask, Godsword is faster than Saradomin Sword (according to a guide on these forums that I think was lost in the rollback), so use a godsword if you have it, and if you don't, Saradomin Sword, Zamorak Spear, Dragon Mace, or Veracs Flail.

For a recent task there, I used 8 prayer pots, 2 pure sets, 1 Bunyip, and small amounts of food. Simply pray ranged and hack away with crush attacks.

Actually, the accuracy of the black mask makes SS/Zam spear even hit more accurate, resulting in the godsword being more inefficient.

inuyashakent-2.png

[hide=]

[/hide]

I did test it, Godsword is junk at Waterfiends. Prayer bonus doesn't really matter, it's not worth killing it 30% slower.

Well there's another opinion for you. I'll keep using my method because my trips usually end shortly after prayer runs out, but maybe it's different for people with higher defense and what not. I never actually recorded the times that it takes for fiends to die, so I wouldn't know anything about percentages, but good luck with whatever weapon you end up deciding to use.

Actually, the accuracy of the black mask makes SS/Zam spear even hit more accurate, resulting in the godsword being more inefficient.

It makes them more accurate, but it makes the Godsword more accurate as well. Given the godsword's massive strength bonus, the extra (high) hits make up for the lesser speed.

And if you want to be ridiculous and piety the task, then the Godsword wins hands down. But I don't recommend that unless you have the Unicorn, which means you don't need protection prayers at all.

If you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.

MischlingsSH.png

It makes them more accurate, but it makes the Godsword more accurate as well. Given the godsword's massive strength bonus, the extra (high) hits make up for the lesser speed.

And if you want to be ridiculous and piety the task, then the Godsword wins hands down. But I don't recommend that unless you have the Unicorn, which means you don't need protection prayers at all.

Damage/minute godsword loses by ALOT if both weapons hit and they hit their max hit.

Godsword max = 53 potted at my stats and black mask

SS= 42 potted at my stats and black mask

SS is faster by 50%. So the ratio would be 63:53, the SS leading. So, the only thing making the godsword preferable is the accuracy bonus, which is pretty neglected with the huge attack bonus of the black mask.

SS = 60 crush

Godsword = 80 crush

inuyashakent-2.png

SS is not faster by 50%... gs hits 2 hits for every 3 hits from a whip... Thats 33% faster. And a godswords prayer bonus will make you last much much longet then you think. Also... if your using a sgs that makes you last even longer as you will be regaining health and prayer every special... I haven't tried killing waterfiends since i got my sgs but even when i did it with my bgs i found it to be better imo....

dudy80sigy.jpg

Thanks for the sig Rose!

My blog to 99 slayer: Here

But they won't both hit their max, and therefore those numbers you gave are meaningless.

Using the setup above, let's compare.

The sara sword setup has 113 strength and 82 crush attack.

The Godsword setup has 163 strength and 102 crush attack.

Assuming the bonuses are roughly linear, the godsword is 1.24 times as accurate and hits 1.44 times as hard. It also is .67 times slower.

(These numbers are relative to the Saradomin Sword's hits)

TotalDamage=Speed*Accuracy*AverageHit

TotalDamage=1.24*1.44*0.67=1.20

According to those numbers, the Godsword should hit harder regardless of the black mask/void melee.

Only assumption I made was that the bonuses were linear. I know they're not, but they should be very close over a relatively small range.

MischlingsSH.png

Two items to consider: Guthix stole (+10 prayer bonus) and Holy wrench.

The 2+ prayer bonus you get from a stole really wont be better then a fury with 15+ def and 10+ accuracy in each stat. But the holy wrench is a good idea.

dudy80sigy.jpg

Thanks for the sig Rose!

But they won't both hit their max, and therefore those numbers you gave are meaningless.

Assuming the bonuses are roughly linear, the godsword is 1.24 times as accurate and hits 1.44 times as hard. It also is .67 times slower.

According to those numbers, the Godsword should hit harder regardless of the black mask/void melee.

Only assumption I made was that the bonuses were linear. I know they're not, but they should be very close over a relatively small range.

As long as a weapon hits, the weapon has a random range of damage. So yes, my math is accurate.

inuyashakent-2.png

The 2+ prayer bonus you get from a stole really wont be better then a fury with 15+ def and 10+ accuracy in each stat. But the holy wrench is a good idea.

Thats 10+ mate(so 5 more than fury) ::' I don't think that sacrificing 10 crush bonus is worth it. Don't furies add 10 defensively?

Thats 10+ mate(so 5 more than fury) ::' I don't think that sacrificing 10 crush bonus is worth it. Don't furies add 10 defensively?

inuyashakent-2.png

As long as a weapon hits, the weapon has a random range of damage. So yes, my math is accurate.

I get the feeling you ignored everything I said after the first line.

The math is NOT accurate. You're only looking at the max hit. The weapons DO NOT always hit their max hit, and they do not always hit. The godsword hits more often in a certain number of attacks because its attack stats are higher. The saradomin sword might hit more often in a certain number of attacks because its speed is higher. The godsword will hit higher on average because its strength bonus is higher.

Your mistake was not taking the accuracy into consideration. If those weapons did hit every hit or at least had the same accuracy, then you'd be on the right track, but quite frankly, you're not.

You also ignored the bonuses of other equipment. What you did was for the weapon alone, but there are other pieces of equipment that you need to take into consideration, which you didn't.

MischlingsSH.png

Wrong....

Fury has 8 prayer bonus and stole has 10 so only 2+...

Stole: http://tip.it/runescape/index.php?rs2item_id=6585

And the fury has 15+ def in all stats...

Fury: http://tip.it/runescape/index.php?rs2item_id=4309

dudy80sigy.jpg

Thanks for the sig Rose!