Router Hackers?

Fleetsy

I bought my Router just after Christmas, so that my new Laptop could connect to the internet, wireless. It was fine for the first few months, but then pages started to take ages to load. We've contacted my ISP quite a few times, but it doesn't appear to be them. My friend said that his internet slowed down a lot, and found out that somebody had hacked his router, using his connection to feed their downloads. Could this be the same with me? I went to edit the WEP Key the other day, and to get into the configuration page, you need a password. I entered the default one, which didn't work. So I entered the one I had changed it to a few weeks back. It still didn't work. I don't want to set alarm bells off in my house yet, so is there anyway to find out whether someone is hi-jacking my connection?

Thanks for the help in advance,

Achieved 99 Woodcutting on 12/06/08

Look into a program called Wireshark, it's something that I use to diagnose the security of my own wireless router (if I ever had the thought that someone could tap into it). Just make sure to note your own IP address (ipconfig /all), and if you notice anything abnormal that's not coming from or going to your IP, you have a perpetrator.

Also, for your own security, there is a way to reduce the likelihood that someone can compromise your bandwidth. Whenever you get into the control panel again (reset the current config and start from scratch), you can disable the SSID broadcasting. Then, add a WEP key. This combination will keep *most* people out of your connection.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

On top of the previous reply, I want to note that WEP encryption is flat out useless at this point. There are extremely mature tools that allow you break any WEP pass phrase in a matter of minutes. If you're serious about securing your wireless you need to use WPA or WPA2 with a long alpha-numeric password. Hidding the SSID is also just as useless. People with the ability to crack the WEP key will be able to find the hidden SSID regardless. People that can't see the 'hidden' SSID won't be able to crack it. Both are equally useless in properly securing wireless.

If you don't know the password to get back into the router or the pass you had set is no longer working someone likely changed it. You'll need to reset the router (pin hole on the back most of the time) and reconfigure it with a new password and new wireless encryption keys. You aren't going to be able to solve your problems if you can't get into the router to check security in the first place.

As I said before, I can't get into my Configuration for my Router. =/

I downloaded Wireshark... but how do I know whether someone else is using my Internet Connection, other than myself or my Dad? :?

I downloaded Wireshark... but how do I know whether someone else is using my Internet Connection, other than myself or my Dad? :?

Cruiser already said how to get back into the router. Press the pin hole on the back of the router to reset the configuration. This will then change the password to the default one.

goldenblade995.png

Cruiser already said how to get back into the router. Press the pin hole on the back of the router to reset the configuration. This will then change the password to the default one.

Once you reset it be sure to secure it.

When you and your Dad aren't really doing anything with your machine, just run it, then jot down your IP address.

After you start it, go to Capture -> Interfaces, then select the one you believe to be Wireless. After it's started, enter this as a "filter":

ip.src != 255.255.255.0 || ip.dst != 255.255.255.0

...where 255.255.255.0 is your own IP address. (And no, that address won't work in it as is.)

If you see any activity on that system, then you've got someone pilfering your bandwidth. Cruiser has already explained how to reset your router, and you should be able to get in to block their MAC address from ever accessing your system again. (A MAC address is simply 6 hexadecimal numbers, sometimes with colons inbetween...like {00:FF:00:FF:00:FF}.)

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg

Or you just skip the wireshark thing and just secure the router with WPA which is very hard to crack.

Seriously if you just secure it with wep and use a mac filter to only filter out the hacker, I could still get in under 10mins. I'm not just saying this either, me and every other person who knows how to use google could get in with a wep secured router. WPA would take weeks of brute forcing to get in.

goldenblade995.png

Right guys, I've reset my Router, added a MAC Address, changed the SSID, and changed the WEP Key. But it's still quite slow at buffering YouTube videos! D: The Hacker's still there though according to Wireshark. :(

on some routers there is a function that can block certain computer from accessing the internet like mine. It's supposed to be a parent control function that control children's online time, but it works in this case as well. some people used my internet as well, I set that computer's allowed access time from 12:00am to 12:01am. At that time im sleeping, and he is only allowed to access for one minute lol :D My router is actiontec that came with verizon, but i dont know if your router have the function.

Quit runescape on Jan 6th of 2008, at level of 115 with around 150M worth of item in bank...however stats still remains

Baoding.png

World 59, the world i loved~

59.png

Now 95% dedicated to playing Microsoft flight simulator

image_mini

http://www.youtube.com/user/im1knight

my youtube channel with many FSX videos i made. please leave a comment if you will

Right guys, I've reset my Router, added a MAC Address, changed the SSID, and changed the WEP Key. But it's still quite slow at buffering YouTube videos! D: The Hacker's still there though according to Wireshark. :(

If you know the hacker's MAC address, then you can easily block him from ever getting access to your machine. When you do your MAC filtering, simply block their address from accessing your services. Post a snippet of a packet that you get when you see the suspected hacker on your network again, please.

I'll also request the type of router you're dealing with, that way we could find some manuals to help you out a bit more.

s1L0U.jpg

Well, MAC address blocking may work if the hacker is an amateur, but a professional one will know how to crack it. Furthermore, your WEP key can also be cracked, as FBI (I believe) demonstrated in front of presses a few years ago

If I were you, I would use WPA2 encryption instead of WEP (the default one). WEP, although having a good name (wired equivalent protection), is shown to be vulnerable against hackers. That's why the network industry upgraded their protection schemes, first to WPA, then to WPA2

I learnt this because I looked up quite a lot of info about wireless safety when I bought my notebook and router in March this year

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wired_Equivalent_Privacy about WEP and its weakness

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11i-2004 about WPA2

You can configuration your encryption setting easily in the password setting section. You will use pre-shared key (PSK) and AES encryption mode and a very long 256 bit password.

If you forgot the password to access the setting page, there is a small reset button in the back / bottom of router, use a sharp pen to push it and everything will be reset, including the password.

By the way, you need to download a special patch from Microsoft if you want to use WPA2 in Windows XP (without SP3). Windows Vista fully supports WPA2 so no patches is required

Download it here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=662BB74D-E7C1-48D6-95EE-1459234F4483&displaylang=en

If the problem presists even if you changed the protection scheme and password, you should then consult your internet service provider

Currently taking a break from Runescape

Use WPA not WEP.

WPA used with a good long random string will be extremely secure.

I also wouldn't bother with MAC address filtering if they can break your encryption they can certainly bypass the filter.

For passwords I recommend these.

https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm

They look scary but if you copy one into a .TXT file on a thumb drive or CD you can easily have a super secure WiFi without having to remember a complex password.

~Dan64Au

Since 27 Aug 2002

Reset it yet again, because the Configuration Panel was hacked once again. -_-" Thanks for the help so far guys.

The Router I'm dealing with is a ZyXEL Prestige 660H-HW Series. This time I've added a WPA key onto it, but I'm not too sure how to get the MAC Address of the Hacker... any ideas? :S

Reset it yet again, because the Configuration Panel was hacked once again. -_-" Thanks for the help so far guys.

The Router I'm dealing with is a ZyXEL Prestige 660H-HW Series. This time I've added a WPA key onto it, but I'm not too sure how to get the MAC Address of the Hacker... any ideas? :S

Forget about the mac address, if he knows how to hack wep passwords he can certainly bypass a mac filter.

goldenblade995.png

Forget about the mac address, if he knows how to hack wep passwords he can certainly bypass a mac filter.

Is there ANYthing I can do to stop this guy? :wall:

Changing to WPA (which you should have done way back in the thread) will keep him out as long as you used a reasonably secure password and not something like "bubbles".

Changing to WPA (which you should have done way back in the thread) will keep him out as long as you used a reasonably secure password and not something like "bubbles".

I did that when I reset the Router for a second time. It has numbers and letters, so I would judge that as pretty secure. I think I've kept him out. But I have another question now. We have two PC's. My main PC, which is running Vista, and my Laptop, which is running XP. But when my brother/Dad goes on something on the main PC, my pages take ages to load, and RuneScape lags to the extreme. When this happens, I can't do anything but play RS. Any ideas?

Kill them. Simple fix.

If you happen to not relish the idea of murder, you could try hooking your computer up to a wired connection. My dad frequently complains that his computer is slow doing things when I'm online downloading something (like Frets on Fire song packs lol), or doing something graphics-and-internet-intensive. Hooking my laptop up to a regular jack (you know, cat5 cable) seems to solve this problem...

And just so I know, hitting that reset button will remove all of the passwords and settings?..and if so, is there any way to backup some of the settings (like, if I just wanted the password removed)? Configuring routers again = waste of time + not fun.

[hide=Funny Quotes]

So you sucker punched a kid in the back of the head? Good job.
What scares me is that you're like 10 years old.
-.- im not that freaking young
You were a couple years ago.
It's not racist if its true.
Hmm... I wonder how one goes about throwing someone out a window in a mystic fashion :-k

The mental image for that is freaking awesome.

[/hide]

- I dont need to "get a life." I'm a gamer - I have LOTS of lives!

Kill them. Simple fix.

If you happen to not relish the idea of murder, you could try hooking your computer up to a wired connection. My dad frequently complains that his computer is slow doing things when I'm online downloading something (like Frets on Fire song packs lol), or doing something graphics-and-internet-intensive. Hooking my laptop up to a regular jack (you know, cat5 cable) seems to solve this problem...

And just so I know, hitting that reset button will remove all of the passwords and settings?..and if so, is there any way to backup some of the settings (like, if I just wanted the password removed)? Configuring routers again = waste of time + not fun.

Cat5 = Ethernet Cable? :o