Suggestions for Improving Skills

green9090

This thread is now posted on the RSOF! Visit and show your support at Quickfind 24-25-573-57125258! Please give me a bump!

I recently read a thread about refining skills being worthless, which reminded me of something which has bothered me for quite some time now. There are skills in RuneScape which simply suck up money without offering any benefit.

My goal in writing this suggestion here is to get feedback from the Tip.it community before copying this to the RSOF and hoping to make it survive there. I will go through the skills one by one and explain what is good, and what needs to be improved.

Please don't feel as though you need to read the whole thing- if you're interested in a particular skill, give it a read and then add some input. If I like your idea, I'll add it to the appropriate section and credit you here. I won't be able to credit people on the RSOF because of naming-other-players rules, but I'll keep the idea there.

[hide=Summoning]I will start with Summoning, because this is a skill which I feel Jagex has finally gotten right (though it took two tries). Summoning is very, very difficult to train. One spends millions of gold to attain even a modest level.

However, once one has the level, they have access to real benefits which enhance gameplay. Pouches are cheap; really, really cheap; compared to their benefits. At level 52, I can get a terrorbird and 200 scrolls for nothing, which lets me run for the entire pouch duration AND carry 12 extra items with me. At level 68, a bunyip will heal me a ridiculous amount over time, supplementing other healing methods for endless safe monster camping with no food at all. The skill keeps me wanting to work all the way up to a 30 inventory beast of burden that can bank for me at 96 and an incredibly efficient fighting machine at level 99.

Summoning is a perfect example of a well-balanced skill.[/hide]

[hide=Melee Combat]Combat is another well balanced aspect of the game. The only issue I hold with combat is the fact that somebody with level 99 def wears the same armor as somebody with 1/10 the exp. This is a relatively small problem, though, and I hope it will continue to be fixed as the game goes on.[/hide]

[hide=Ranged]Ranged is well balanced except, again, the highest equipment is too low level. See above.[/hide]

[hide=Magic]Ah yes, magic... There are a few things wrong with this skill.

First, magic must be used in combination with another skill to defeat any competent opponent. Even Ice Barrage only hits 30, which is not enough for a KO.

Second, magic is too expensive for use on most monsters. This is something I won't try to solve- it's okay that magic takes cash to train if you come out with something great at the end.

Third, rune prices have been messed up for some time. Bloods should not cost less than deaths. The fact that they do indicates that there are too many bloods in the game compared to deaths, and that death runes are more useful than bloods.

To fix magic and make it balanced, here is my suggestion: more blood rune spells. Powerful ones. Ones that DO NOT use more death runes than blood runes *cough barrage cough*.

I won't lay down hard and fast "This is what to do, Jagex" concepts, but I do have a few ideas that can be taken or left to get the creativity flowing. The important part is that blood runes are used, and they provide a boost to the effectiveness of solo, one combat style magic against players.

Close range blood spells- A mid-level (75-80ish) spell using 3 or 4 blood runes which must be cast from within melee distance. Each spell would cause two hits- one from the magic, and one melee based (but magic exp-giving) whack. Damage would scale with magic level, hitting up to 60 at 99 magic (you know, like a godsword). Melee stats would NOT come into play determining damage, the melee aspect is to help reduce the effectiveness of blocking magic with dragonhide, and using prayer against magic.

"Charge" like spells- A spell using blood runes which temporarily increases the max damage of all spells cast. Higher levels should be capable of at least a 30% boost. This should comsume a lot of blood runes.

and for magic, there need to be MORE CURSE SPELLS!

body runes are almost useless and only used for training, souls are also useless. maybe a 10 second -20 to all stats on the enemy?

More curse spells would be awesome! To this I add that perhaps a curse could multiply damage done to a player by 1.3 for about 5 seconds. Curse spells should use soul as well as blood runes, and maybe body too.[/hide]

[hide=Prayer]This skill essentially ends at 70, except for small boosts in prayer potion restoration. Some nice ideas for new prayers would be piety-equivalents for ranged and magic, protect-from-X coupled with attack/strength/magic/ranged boosters which save on prayer point costs... the possibilities are endless. Prayers up to 90-95 would be nice.[/hide]

[hide=Runecraft]Runecraft is actually pretty good. If blood runes become more valuable (as suggested in the Magic improvements), this skill will be pretty much fixed. Death runes are even worth more than natures these days!

Soul runes being released would be nice as well.[/hide]

[hide=Construction]Skill ends when you can make a gilded altar, which is around the low 70s, depending on how many boosts are used. After that it's just for showing off, which is really annoying when the skill costs soo much. 99 construction is worth some serious game-changing advantages considering the effort that goes into it.

How about thrones that do something? Sit in a demonic throne and end up with 130% of your normal hitpoints, prayer, and summoning, + full run energy?

Higher level larders with valuable foods like butter, pineapple, ect...

Our own summoning mini-obelisk in one of the garden plant spots.

Teleport portals to Lunar Island, Ape Atoll, Trollheim, Ice plateau, etc... (which need to be placed in higher level portal frames)

Many more things. Things that actually help with gameplay rather than "oh look, my dining table is now white!"

Cons: Farming garden, pretty much explains itself

Indeed! Higher levels = more/better patches? Around 70 before you can make an herb patch, high 90s can have herb, tree, and fruit tree patch at once?[/hide]

[hide=Agility]More high-level shortcuts! Level 90 shortcut- climb a thorny vine directly into the metal dragon lair from near a fairy ring!

I love the agility shortcut concept, but it cut off way too early![/hide]

[hide=Herblore]Ah, now here's one of the problem skills. Spend millions to gain more and more ways to waste money on herblore exp. It's one of those skills which are just for the cape.

There are two ways to solve this. One way is making sought after potions, with ingredients only herblorists are able to gather, and which give little exp. The low exp and inability to buy ingredients ensures that the potion would be quite a money-maker, assuming the potion is good. Super ranged and magic potions are always a good option, as well as something like a super prayer restore, or a temporary damage-reduction effect. These would be 90+ herblore, obviously.

The other method of curing herblore would involve untradable high-level potions. One idea I liked was the ability to coat the inside of armor with a permanent balm which heals 2 extra hp per minute. This would make the armor untradable until it is wiped off. Other options involve things like cheaply made super prayer restores or something similar which cannot be traded /drunk without the requisite (90+) herblore level.

Anything that gives an advantage to high level herblorists is a good thing at this point, since there's really no reason to train beyond what's needed for quests.[/hide]

[hide=Theiving]Real, high level things to thieve that make real money would definitely do something to revitalize this skill. Pyramid Plunder solved the issue of thieving being much too hard with little reward, but did little for the fact that theiving just doesn't do much at high levels. Areas which can only be picklocked into at high levels which contain rune rocks, good training spots, or other exclusive content would be a step in the right direction. NPCs which can be pickpocketed for unique, useful items would also be a plus.[/hide]

[hide=Crafting]Another "problem skill," in that a lot of money is expended for no benefit. I know it's cliche by now, but enchantable armor additions which improve stats or grant effects could be a great way to add use to the skill. If 95 crafting could add an onyx set in silver to any plate armor, which could gradually restore prayer, I think we would see more people training crafting for a reason other than the cape. This effect would obviously be untradable.[/hide]

[hide=Fletching]Another money sink skill. Again, access to improved, untradable ranged ammo could make fletching a valuable addition to ranged. Use a stack of rune or dragon arrows on a whetstone at very high levels to create untradable sharpened arrows with max hits 4 or 5 higher than normal. Use a knife to make arrows aerodynamically superior, increasing range and accuracy.[/hide]

[hide=Slayer]Good skill, but I can't help feeling that the levels between 90 and 99 are wasted. A level 95 and 99 monster, both with insanely good drops, would complete the skill.

I've also always liked the idea of a relatively easy boss with good drops that requires a high slayer level to damage.[/hide]

[hide=Hunter]This skill ends far too early. Train to level 63, and then catch thousands of red chinchompas. Pawya and Grenwalls were great ideas, except that they didn't actually do anything. Totally worthless addition.

Hunting at high levels could be great! Ingredients for high level herblore potions, [bleep]es that can be added to more armor, food with special properties like pies, more light-weight clothing.... I'm constantly amazed how little potential has been milked from hunter so far.

Hunting . . .you could also mix it with range, add some really high powered bows, a bit of land to the snowlands, and you got mammoth hunting, go south, get a sleek and silent bow, you got deer/larupia hunting, with a bow! (high power only applies to hunting creatures, or just make the hunter bow be all purpose).

I definitely like the idea of high level hunting involving a bow![/hide]

[hide=Mining]Pure essence could do with an exp boost to compensate for free versioners not being allowed to mine it anymore. If it became a legitimate option for training, then miners could make some decent cash training (not dropping granite), and runecrafters would get a break on supply costs.

We could also probably use a higher level ore. Maybe something like platinum for very high level crafting, or titanium for high level smithing?[/hide]

[hide=Smithing]Another skill without any benefit... oh how the mighty have fallen. I remember 99 smithers being the richest players back in RSC. Clue scrolls, I think, dealt the final blow, with all the rune rewards. But I digress.

Armor improvements are the way to go with this skill, in my opinion. Affixing Grenwall [bleep]es to armor, giving them +5 str for plates, +4 for legs, and +3 for helmets is an idea I'm fond of. This armor would, of course, be untradable. If titanium is implemented for mining, improving high level armor would be the way to use it. Reinforcement giving better defence bonuses perhaps.

Level 99 smithing being able to make barrows armor no longer require repair (and untradable) would be an excellent reward for an extremely difficult skill.[/hide]

[hide=Fishing]A nice skill, but perhaps a little bit bland. It would be kind of cool to see some fish which aren't food. There could be more fish along the vein of the Rainbow fish, except they would be required (not optional) for high level, useful (not useless) hunter animal bait. Potion ingredient fish are always a good option as well. Something to keep the level 90+ fishers occupied somewhere besides monkfish would be nice.[/hide]

[hide=Cooking]This may surprise you, but I feel cooking is fairly well balanced. It's extremely easy to train, and has many high level pies to make with interesting effects. More useful high level pies could never hurt, though :P[/hide]

[hide=Firemaking]A problem skill if I ever saw one. Players have suggested flaming weapons and ammo many many times, seemingly to deaf ears. It's a good idea, though. Flaming arrows, chinchompa-like explosives, a temporary sword made of fire... all excellent ideas to breathe life into a skill that has never been useful. Some things ought to be tradable, like explosives, others should require the level, like fire arrows and temporary fire weapons.

firemaking. . I always imagined a flaming GS like sword that delt 99 damage on your opponent and then starting to steam and dealing 50 damage back on me. . . =].

Maybe not 50s, but I love the idea of steady damage to the user to compensate for improved offense.[/hide]

[hide=Woodcutting]Not a bad skill, but ends far too early. I'd suggest linking the rest of the skill with farming- farm high-level trees with farming and chop them with woodcutting for wood that could be used with the Firemaking and Fletching improvements.[/hide]

[hide=Farming]A good skill, but could use some higher level benefits. As stated in my woodcutting section, I'd like to see some more wood trees only accessible through farming. More herblore and cooking tie-ins could never hurt either![/hide]

That's it! Please post your ideas here and I'll be sure to read them all!

Join "DG Sweepers" Clan Chat for Dungeoneering Floors | Accepting all tipiters who are Willing to Learn |

Jelly.pngOccultEpicKeyer21.pngBladewing.png

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very Very good ideas, ment for the high leveled community, not at making life for the lower levels easier (okay, I fall in between).

I won't lay down hard and fast "This is what to do, Jagex"
change jagex to "green" in my case, these are just my thoughts.

I remember seeing the [bleep]es/herblore armour balm in the refining skill thread in general, very good Ideas, but a prayer restoring one is a bit too much. maybe change it to faster hp recovery after being enchanted.

Magic, rather expensive, and tbh, only uses I see for it are barraging in clan wars and bursting lobster. It could do with more lunar styled things, seriously, lunar magics is way better then ancients and modern, except for the teleports, since using magic for general killing of monsters other then barrows isnt very good. (deaths could stay at the same price as bloods because f2p also uses it, like lobsters and monks). Spells that consume large amounts of bloods would easily correct the demand problem, and give mages something good. Add another few ways to train it other then just alc'ing or bursting, and something you didnt think of, new staffs. last thing I have to say is, GS = slow, Dark Bow = slow, Magic = average speed. surely your close range blood spells should be slow, and make them at halberd range, spells should at least go that far.

runecraft is okay, I'm just too lazy to train it.

construction hasnt had an update in ages, and it should get a summoning and hunter room.

good concept of the herblore potions.

thieving needs better rewards.

I wouldnt mind if crafting had more things added, back in my noob days, it was my favorite skill.

fletching sure needs some things to make people say "wow. . . . men, I wish I could do thasome day."

Hunting . . .you could also mix it with range, add some really high powered bows, a bit of land to the snowlands, and you got mammoth hunting, go south, get a sleek and silent bow, you got deer/larupia hunting, with a bow! (high power only applies to hunting creatures, or just make the hunter bow be all purpose).

smithing. . . . ah, I loved this skill, till I found out it was nearly no good.

fishing needs more interesting things.

firemaking. . I always imagined a flaming GS like sword that delt 99 damage on your opponent and then starting to steam and dealing 50 damage back on me. . . =]. a few time-period appropiate bombs wouldnt hurt neither (catapult construction part 2 anyone?)

things that I didnt include, I agreed and was too lazy to add my thoughts.

give me a long read, and I'll give you a long response.

Very Very good ideas, ment for the high leveled community, not at making life for the lower levels easier (okay, I fall in between).

Absolutely, but when you think about it, it makes sense to have things to keep us interested above level 90. 92 is half the exp required for 99... We don't exactly need more thing for the fleeting levels below 60. It's nonsensical to end a skill at 70; less than 1/13 the total exp for 99!

a prayer restoring one is a bit too much. maybe change it to faster hp recovery after being enchanted.

At one point this would be true, but I think that given the circumstances today, about one prayer point per minute or two would be reasonable for 95 crafting. We already have the SGS, which is way way more prayer per minute. You'd also have to use an onyx.

Magic, rather expensive, and tbh, only uses I see for it are barraging in clan wars and bursting lobster. It could do with more lunar styled things, seriously, lunar magics is way better then ancients and modern, except for the teleports, since using magic for general killing of monsters other then barrows isnt very good. (deaths could stay at the same price as bloods because f2p also uses it, like lobsters and monks). Spells that consume large amounts of bloods would easily correct the demand problem, and give mages something good. Add another few ways to train it other then just alc'ing or bursting, and something you didnt think of, new staffs. last thing I have to say is, GS = slow, Dark Bow = slow, Magic = average speed. surely your close range blood spells should be slow, and make them at halberd range, spells should at least go that far.

I would definitely love some more Lunars as well, but I have trouble thinking of ways to use blood runes there, which is a huge major problem that needs to be solved with magic.

About the attack speed- Dark bow is slow and long range, GS is slow and can be used with high defence armor, and close ranged magic would be quick, close range, and you'd be opening yourself up to attack in weak magic armor. Also, keep in mind that against melee armor, half the damage would be in melee-based damage, so it would be hard to hit very high. However, if you could use it at halberd range, it would be pretty overpowered in combo with binds or ice spells. The whole point of the spell would be sacrificing the safety of magic for a powerful KO move which would be used only as a finishing move after the opponent is nearly dead. Sort of like the mage's answer to an AGS spec.

Yes, I would love going out hunting with a bow. Especially if I got some nice mammoth meat or something that heals and acts like a slightly better combat potion or something.

firemaking. . I always imagined a flaming GS like sword that delt 99 damage on your opponent and then starting to steam and dealing 50 damage back on me. . . =]. a few time-period appropiate bombs wouldnt hurt neither (catapult construction part 2 anyone?)

Oooh, yes, a flaming weapon damaging the user is a nice idea. Maybe not 50s, but perhaps 5-10 damage per minute in exchange for greatly increased power. It would help make food useful again in light of all the bunyips and unicorns of late.

I'll add some of this to the first post, thanks for the feedback!

Join "DG Sweepers" Clan Chat for Dungeoneering Floors | Accepting all tipiters who are Willing to Learn |

you have somerealy great ideas. i like the idea of a herb that you can only get at a certain level(kind of like a dragon egg and 99 summoning)

edit: please take the vidoe off. i have highspeed broadband and your making my 2008 laptop go slow as hell

Y_Z.png

@Muggi: Was that... did you use graphic lag to do a double hit?

Okay... innovative, but useless. You're going to max about a 55 with that, and it's half the speed of normal magic spell. That's weaker AND slower than a Godsword, they have plenty of time to eat to full hp. I mean, I guess you could KO somebody with under 80 hp if you're lucky, but 99 mages should be able to KO somebody a little higher level than that.

@Great_one: Thanks :D

@Muggi: Was that... did you use graphic lag to do a double hit?

Okay... innovative, but useless. You're going to max about a 55 with that, and it's half the speed of normal magic spell. That's weaker AND slower than a Godsword, they have plenty of time to eat to full hp. I mean, I guess you could KO somebody with under 80 hp if you're lucky, but 99 mages should be able to KO somebody a little higher level than that.

@Great_one: Thanks :D

Certain ancient hits take a while for the damage to register, others register instantly

Slow: Blitz spells, ice barrage, smoke barrage

Fast or instant: Shadow barrage, blood barrage

Blitz spells are slower than ice or smoke barrage so they give you more room for error... depends on how far away you're standing from your opponent

Ice barrage followed by blood barrage is a potential 30-29

In the vid I did ice blitz to shadow barrage which hit the max of 26-28

And I have KO'd many people with that technique because as we can see, most people do not realize it is possible to combine spells like that :P

77yLQy8.png

That feels much more like "bug abuse" than "game feature" to me, even if it does work occasionally. A real KO spell complete with game balance would be nice.

we do need level 93ish rewards for all skills, and i mean useful rewards, not an 1 level boost and an emote. they need to be untradeable and useful only for the player himself, though only one could be active at a time (so people with all skills 99 wouldn't have overpowered armor).

btw for the firemaking, you could pour oil over a weapon to make the max 5 higher but also 5% chance per hit to backfire and cause half weapon damage to yourself. This could also include burning arrows which could damage your bow (takes two combat rounds to repair) and something to use with magic (like a candle or a burnign book).

and for magic, there need to be MORE CURSE SPELLS!

body runes are almost useless and only used for training, souls are also useless. maybe a 10 second -20 to all stats on the enemy?

and i agree, bloods should be worth more than deaths, as they are better and harder to acquire.

Headshotcatcher.png

Cons: Farming garden, pretty much explains itself

some museum like room, in which you can keep museum like things, skeletal wyvern skeleton plawks? ranarr weed in a case plawx? maybe some old sword/armour stands like if you kill monsters in the gwd you can get old swords, take em to the guy in port khazard to clean and then put them in your house. 5 bones to make a skeleton, legs, arms, head, hipbone, ribcage.

2egffxf.png

[hide]

Felix, je moeder.

Je moeder felix

Je vader, felix.

Felix, je oma.

Felix, je ongelofelijk gave pwnaze avatar B)

Felix, je moeder.

[/hide]

Every idea you mentioned is great. I love the idea for firemaking, woodcutting and hunter is all great.

I support all of thses ideas.

-Support-

-Haseo

35bvvh1.png

[hide=Quotes]

Albel/Justin

Albel doesn't say anything anymore, just comes in, leaves an arrow and vanishes into the night :(Probably
practising some euphonium

You nearly had me fooled, you fooler you

Euphonium/10.

9/10. To me, always associate Albel with musical stuff in OT.

Everyone with a goatee and glasses is Albel now.

lmfao albel m8 wat r u doin, hi though.

[/hide]

[hide=Runescape Achievements]99 firemaking(2007), 99 woodcutting(2008), 99 fletching(2009), 99 magic(2010), 99 cooking(2010), 99 farming(2011), 99 construction(2011), 99 runecrafting(2012), 99 Hunter (2014),  99 ranged (2015), 99 HP (2015), 99 Slayer (2015), 99 attack (2015) 99 Defense (2015) 99 Prayer (2015) 99 Summoning (2015) 99 Strength(2015) 99 Herblore (2015) 99 Dungeoneering (2017)  99 Mining (2017) 99 Crafting (2017) 99 Smithing (2017) 99 Thieving (2017)  99 invention (2017) 99 Fishing (2018), 99 Divination (2018), 99 Agility (2018), MAXED (05/17/2018)[/hide]

More curse spells is actually a fantastic idea. Higher level curses which require blood, soul and body runes which are actually useful would be awesome.

Ooh, maybe there could be a curse which makes all damage done to a player increase by 30% for the next 5 seconds! That would solve the KO problem and head off the imminent issue of soul runes costing less than bloods.

I also like the idea of a contruction farming garden. I was totally expecting one when the skill came out, to be honest.

Both ideas will be added to the first post :D Thanks for the support everyone!

I also like the idea of a contruction farming garden. I was totally expecting one when the skill came out, to be honest.

That's MY idea though. :(

I just never got around to working on it. *sigh*

Maybe I'll work with you on the magic, herblore and the POF (Player-Owned Farming (patch))

Need a new signature....perhaps...

If I like your idea, I'll add it to the appropriate section and credit you here.

I can take it out if you want, but you were warned what would happen if you post ideas here :P

If I like your idea, I'll add it to the appropriate section and credit you here.

I can take it out if you want, but you were warned what would happen if you post ideas here :P

Nah, what I meant was I had the idea. #-o

But it was posted by felix. (remind me to kill him later.)

Still, I'm at least willing to work with you with Herblore, Magic, and the POF.

For smithing, my idea is that player smiths could upgrade armor or weapons. You could upgrade your weapon/armor up to five times, but you risk destroying the weapon/armor. The way it would work, is you choose what part of the weapon/armor you want to upgrade. Here's an example.

Let's use a Rune plate, each upgrade would require 1 rune bar. You could upgrade any of the defenses up to five times, but it doesn't have to be the same defense stat. If you wanted to make your rune armor much more resistant to ranged attacks, you could upgrade the range defense five times. You could also do something like upgrading the range defense three times, and slash defense twice. Each time you upgraded, you risk destroying it.

1st upgrade - 10% chance.

2nd upgrade - 25% chance.

3rd upgrade - 50% chance.

4th upgrade - 75% chance.

5th upgrade - 90% chance.

These upgraded weapons/armor could also be traded. For non-smithable equipment, a new ore could be added, or perhaps have a player smith help out an NPC smith. The player would have to bring in some bars, and then help out the NPC with his smithing level.

I also like the idea of being able to add things like the Grenwall [bleep]es and making them untradeable is good to. This way smiths can make money by selling upgraded armor, and show off their smithing with armor only they can make :D.

An idea for firemaking came across me. In real-life they use explosives in the mines, this could link firemaking and mining skills in RuneScape too. Something high-leveled to make (in firemaking) and high-level to use (in mining). If both requirements were at like 90+ then it could be tradeable too. And maybe it could have a link to like Herblore too, some chemical substance for the explosive...

@ Ultimakomoto: Oooh. Well, sorry about that, but farming patches in Player Owned Houses is an idea that's been around since loooong before Construction actually came out man :P

@ Caxis: I like the idea, but am unsure how I would want to balance it. "Surely not better than Barrows!" one portion of my mind says. "Why not?!" says another, "smithing is one of the hardest skills!"

Any ideas on where you would want this armor placed on the scale of armors?

@ siim: Interesting... I smell a high-requirements quest!

In the past Jagex has had a very difficult time properly balancing any sort of mining improvement... did you know there's some unique way to mine coal in Keldagrim? No, that's because everybody forgets after the quest. This leads me to believe that Jagex does not want mining exp to become easier, so a way to mine more quickly may not be the best course for a suggestion. Perhaps a higher ore that MUST be blast mined, though...

Well, forget those people. It's MY idea! (and why am I bothering to agrue anyway? it gets nothing done.)

Alright, a couple spellbook ideas.

Spellblades: The art of infusing magic into swords to make them better. That is, they hit extra damage, cause added effects, or simply turn foes into chickens. :lol: (I'm almost kidding on the chicken idea.)

Darkness magic: Ooh, curses! This is the kind of thing you'd want to do. All sorts of curses, hexes, and the occasional insta-death spell.

I just thought something about WoW. . . .at highest smithing you can make some master smither-only weapons, tradeable but only maxed smithers can wear them, so you can sell it, but only to people who can make it themselves, so no point in selling.

^ random outburst, can be ignored ^

I'm surprised you took the 50 recoil damage seriously -.-

on what could be called the first behind-the-scene, where they said many things that were coming in the future, they mentioned hunting snowlands with penguins and MAMMOTHS, we know only 1 part is missing.

I see what you mean about the speed/range of your GS magics.

well, I still think prayer restore is overdone, but at those low amounts, it could be somewhat balanced.

and of course, high leveled community is the most important, since at this point people start getting somewhat bored and start to have thoughts about quitting.

(yes I did read the thing from bottom to top to answer.)

or maybe mastery in skills, you'd have to do a simple quest (collect 20 ish items related to the skill (can't buy 'em, have to get 'em yourself) need level 95 in the skill to start) and you get mastery in a skill, allowing you to do special things, like with firemaking setting your weapon on fire and with magic imbuing your sword with magic. if you're mastered in a skill your achievement cape and hood change too, either trimmed hood too or the bottom of the cape gets another color (like the purple bit on the standard black cape). However you can only have mastery in one skill at a time and if you want mastery in another skill ALL items you have imbued with the special powers and your changed skillcape will perish. otherwise people would abuse it to get the perfect gear.

Headshotcatcher.png

This has been something Ive actually being thinking about for quite awhile but was far to lazy to ever type a whole idea up for it. At this point many skills are lost to changing it around to make a profit so I personally feel Jagex needs to do the next best thing and do as many of your suggestions state. Make more high level and even low level items that can only be used if you have the required level.

Some of the things I think could also work are:

Prayer: some type of divine shield prayer that makes you immune to all attack but at the cost of being unable to attack. This would have to either be like other prayers where in pvp you take 50% of damage or just make it unable to be used in pvp minigames. I think they should add higher level hp recovery such as 4x and 8x. Perhaps a immunity to poison prayer that reduces the damage or slows the damage down (do not make it cure poison since we have book that does that already and potions). I think they should also make it so higher level players can bless items which would could give bonus damage vs undead so something along those lines. In all reality there is tons they could add to prayer and it is unfortunate that this skill is one of the originals yet has still been so primitive.

Construction: I agree they need to add in more things that have a benefit with skills they started it out nicely with some items and then just did nothing in the higher levels.

Agility: Exactly how I felt need to add in more shortcuts that are really beneficial. The crossbow shortcuts are kind of pointless because who really carries a crossbow and grapple all the time. I hardly ever remember that I can use these. Perhaps access to areas that provide good items (climb a cliff that is close to rune rock or gold mine that is close to bank). This is skill I wish they would add in something to make it really beneficial to have high.

Herblore: Like the ideas that are there so far. I always wanted a super combat potion (super attack and strength in one) and this could be untradable. All higher level players know the use of freeing up 1 or 2 inventory spaces so this would be something they would want. Further perhaps more specialized poisons like ones that drain prayer or do damage faster but at lower damage (2 damage every 5 seconds or something). They could also work it out by allowing higher level herbalist to be able to poison more weapons (95 herbalist could poison whip). Allowing higher level herbalist to poison new weapons would really revive this skill as something players desire.

Thieving: Pretty much how I feel I have 99 thieving but always feel like it really doesn't do much other than look pretty. I wish there were more doors that I could pick that allowed me access to some area of benefit.

Crafting: I've always felt that if they made it so gems could go in armors to provide benefits. Like if they added in different elemental attacks such as magic attacks but to all attack forms (fire giants do fire damage, moss giants to earth damage, etc). It would have to be same level to insert and again making items untradable (sapphire=water, emerald=earth, ruby=fire, diamond=air dragonstone=25% of all, onyx=50% of all) something like this but put far more work into it than just what I suggested. Also if they allowed for the ability to add items like the [bleep]es but to other parts of the range gear and make those untradable. Last I wish they would make a high level ring/amulet that was untradable with really good benefits.

Fletching: Like the idea of better arrows. I think they could also add in perhaps better strings to the bows that increase their damage and these bows would be untradable. At like 95 you could do this to a darkbow to add this better string. Or they could also just make it that you make better bows than the standard.

Hunting: I feel that they need more creatures that can be hunted to use as benefit. Higher level [bleep]es that can be added to armor things along this line.

Smithing: Just like other skills that produce items. I like the metal [bleep]e idea being added and at different levels you could be able to add them to different pieces. I doesn't need to stop there they should center around many other additions to armors and weapons that make the items have some benefit and then untradable.

Fishing/cooking: I think they should work together here by adding in perhaps higher level fish that heal more and make these untrable providing high level fishers and cookers the ability to a better food source.

Firemaking: As everyone has said flaming weapons would be awesome perhaps adding to the use of elemental resistance and damage to further develop combat.

Woodcutting: New higher level tree that can be cut to produce untradable bow if player has required fletching could be idea here. Something like this woodcutting really isn't to bad of skill just kind of boring but not really sure how they could spice it up.

Farming: As you can guess with my reoccurring theme make higher level plants that can be farmed that are again untradable and used in higher level herbalism or we could just skip that and make like various poisonous plants that can just be rubbed on weapon to provide different poison benefits.

Of course the ideas on which they could improve skills is endless and with my ideas here levels would need to be worked out. But I think right now the best way for Jagex to improve the use of all these skills is to focus away from adding new items that can be bought and sold and rely on more items that are untradable but provide benefit to the player with the desired level. Also sorry for the long post I didn't want it to be this long since I know most people will see it and not read it due to the length but as I said Ive been thinking about this for long time.

All skills 80+

How about Gilding! (or Trimming, or whatever you want to call it)

This could be for either crafting OR for smithing, or even for both!

It would be a welcome addition to smithing: smithers would be able to make gilded or trimmed armor.

Crafters would be able to make trimmed or gilded robes or hides and such.

And this would give JaGex another ore/metal (for trimming) to make!

Herblore: Like the ideas that are there so far. I always wanted a super combat potion (super attack and strength in one) and this could be untradable. All higher level players know the use of freeing up 1 or 2 inventory spaces so this would be something they would want. Further perhaps more specialized poisons like ones that drain prayer or do damage faster but at lower damage (2 damage every 5 seconds or something). They could also work it out by allowing higher level herbalist to be able to poison more weapons (95 herbalist could poison whip). Allowing higher level herbalist to poison new weapons would really revive this skill as something players desire.

I have ideas for Super combat potion, Superior potions/poison, among others, along with herblore requirements to drink some potions.