Pagan Reference In Runescape?

zdavenz

I didnt mean to throw blame, I was just trying to show that religion isnt always accepted, it may be a discussion of rs vs paganism, but people are bringing their own religion into the discussion, so im just trying to say, dont judge peoples beliefs, even if they seem wrong to you.

Personally, Ive spent more than a few years studying religion in its many windows and roads, and i know alot about the history and heroing tales of many religions. All in all, I personally find them hard to take seriously with the way people have used and abused them. for some people they truely are a saving grace in their life, but there others who merely go with the crowd, and think they believe something they dont actually know.

but as i said before, rs doesnt hold a whole lot of similarity to paganistic ideals- you could take a metaphoric, or egsostential view, but they arent strong enough to be conclusive evidence that the rs gods were tailored after a pagan set.

Reverents can be a pain, but you can run away from them. Just curious, do they still have teleblocking ability?

Fear the church, the reverents have 85 magic!!!!

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's somewhat associated with Paganism - because it's a fantasy game - and modern fantasy games ALL seem to take after Paganism. (Elves, Goblins, Dragons, and the likes).

I don't think it was done on purpose, because they liked the Pagan Gods - it's just the norm for fantasy games.

what do elves goblins and dragons have to do with paganism?

paganism is a belief system, mainly surrounding nature, and gods of nature/natural cycles, and rituals that are designed to appease said gods, currently the closest thing we have to that that ican think of, is the druidic ritual quest, which is loosely pagan.

Reverents can be a pain, but you can run away from them. Just curious, do they still have teleblocking ability?

what do elves goblins and dragons have to do with paganism?

paganism is a belief system, mainly surrounding nature, and gods of nature/natural cycles, and rituals that are designed to appease said gods, currently the closest thing we have to that that ican think of, is the druidic ritual quest, which is loosely pagan.

Germanic Paganism.

In Norse Cosmology, there are worlds such as: Álfheim, in which elves reside.

Goblins and Dragons are mentioned in many Norse poems, and I seem to recall a mention of Goblins in one of the Eddas, also.

Yah it shocked me too. But my friend (Whom i will refer to as 'Bob') Believes that Saradomin, Guthix, etc. In Runescape gives off a pagan reference because of all the gods. Personally i believe he is paranoid becuase he hasnt played RuneScape til he thought of that. I don't know what to think. Has anyone noticed this also or is he just paranoid?

Yep it is paganistic. Jagex never meant for them to be worshiped. Also God is identified as the being Who created heaven and earth and all things. As sara, guth and zammy came to power, that means they don't meet the criteria since they were not there at the beginning since one cannot become a deity. That means they are just merely beings or creatures that are strong.

As long as you don't start worshiping them then it is fine I would say. But if you start treating them like deities, that is bad. Also it proves you are a complete idiot. Religion is something you should take seriously since it governs the fate of your soul when you die. It is a serious matter, not something to be scoffed at.

This is not a religious debate thread so lets just keep on the subject and anyone who disagrees, pm me.

Ah, I see where our opinions on paganism differ, I see nordic 'mythology' as an established religion, as do i see 'paganism' as an established religion (difficult to explain, its a more general religion than most), but you take the more generalistic view of anything not mainstream is paganistic? if thats close then i suppose we'll just have to cope with the difference, if not, please set me straight :lol:

edit- @above

What happens to your soul after death, supposing you believe in a soul, is up to personal belief.

and Who's to say that your God didnt 'come to power' we dont know the history of god past what's in the bible, so you cant say that factually.

As I understand, paganism can be broken up even more than Christianity. This is because they worship multiple deities (as a whole). Not just three like in runescape, but counting in the millions. Thats when you group them all together. Paganism was the dominant religion right after Judaism was around, taking the Bible as a history book of course.

I would say the reason why there are so many deities in paganism is the nomad's brain of telling the reason why certain things happen. For instance, the indians thought that rain was controlled by some sort of deity because they couldn't explain why it occurred. They dubbed it as a deity controlling it. Of course this newfound deity had to be worshiped, so they danced for it as a form of entertainment. It later became a belief that they could manipulate this deity with sacrifices.

Support from this theory comes from that indians thought that clocks were deities when the spanish arrived. They couldn't explain how it worked, thus dubbing it a deity.

edit:

What happens to your soul after death, supposing you believe in a soul, is up to personal belief.

and Who's to say that your God didnt 'come to power' we dont know the history of god past what's in the bible, so you cant say that factually.

Lets keep this next response to a pm so we don't start some sort of flame war.

Well I guess you could say it is a personal belief since I can't prove it.

God didn't come to power because of this:

There is an apple on a table, where did it come from? It came from an apple tree.

There is the apple tree, where did it come from? It came from a seed which came from an apple which came from and apple tree which came from a seed which came from an apple which came from an app...

This cannot go on forever, because it is a paradox. There must have been something at the beginning to make all of this. There has to be a first creator.

Now proving this creator or as aristotle calls it (yes, I am using aristotle's theory), an unmovable mover is all powerful is another story indeed. You cannot give something if you don't have it, or a variation of this rule is if you have a bucket filled to the brim, then there is another bigger empty bucket. You simply cannot fill the other to the brim with the first. Thus the creator must have more in order to create something lesser (just like we can create tools because we have substances to work with and the mind to do it. No matter how hard that tool tried to make another, it can't since it is just a tool and lacks the mind or the material to do it).

Ah, I see where our opinions on paganism differ, I see nordic 'mythology' as an established religion, as do i see 'paganism' as an established religion (difficult to explain, its a more general religion than most), but you take the more generalistic view of anything not mainstream is paganistic? if thats close then i suppose we'll just have to cope with the difference, if not, please set me straight :lol:

edit- @above

I'm not certain - being an Asatruar, I don't know much about the other forms of alternative religion. I focus primarily on Germanic NeoPaganism.

I became a Sun Worshiper overnight. Well, not overnight because you can't see the Sun, but first thing the next morning I was worshiping the sun. But I don't pray to the Sun. I wouldn't impose on our friendship; it's not nice. You know who I pray to? I pray to Joe Pesci because he looks like a guy who can get things done.

Ok enough Carlin ::'

Runescape is a made up fairy tale land where nothing has meaning. If you or your friend are paranoid or offended by a made up game, then that is very unfortunate.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

You say it's "pagan" like that's a horribly bad thing...just to clear things up, paganism predates christianity and pagans don't worship "satan" or "the devil"...in fact, pagans don't even believe in "satan" or "the devil".

*steps off soap box*

Seraphyna.png

Seraphyna.png

Runescape is a made up fairy tale land where nothing has meaning. If you or your friend are paranoid or offended by a made up game, then that is very unfortunate.

Strictly speaking, that is not true. There are plenty of references to Paganism - Runecrafting is one of the more obvious ones.

Yah it shocked me too. But my friend (Whom i will refer to as 'Bob') Believes that Saradomin, Guthix, etc. In Runescape gives off a pagan reference because of all the gods. Personally i believe he is paranoid becuase he hasnt played RuneScape til he thought of that. I don't know what to think. Has anyone noticed this also or is he just paranoid?

Do you have a problem with Paganism?

Also, I believe there are multiple religions that have been generalized into Paganism, like the religion of Ancient Greece and of Ancient Egypt

Join Future Update News! The longest running update speculation thread on the RSOF, currently on its 24 Edition

QFC 16-17-671-59680498

314v28z.jpg

Thanks to Killerwat for the sig!

I simply love topics like this. But in all honesty it is a very touchy subject and i do not wish to Implicate favortism or anything that would upset another person. We could continue this topic on someones Clan chat. But here........i think it might need to be locked.

Nice topic on the OP choice imo but poor choice to place it. :thumbup:

whitedragonhidepm9.png

I just came back from a long break. Back on bob.

Strictly speaking, that is not true. There are plenty of references to Paganism - Runecrafting is one of the more obvious ones.

Are you really trying to tell me that the makers of RuneScape are putting Pagan references into the game via the skill of Runecrafting? Runecrafting is a skill to make things that help you cast magical spells! That has nothing to do with Paganism WHATSOEVER.

The term pagan is from Greek paganus, an adjective originally meaning "rural", "rustic" or "of the country." As a noun, paganus was used to mean "country dweller, villager."

Where the hell does Runecrafting fit into any of this crap? It sounds like daddy's been telling you that everything that isn't Christian must be evil.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

Are you really trying to tell me that the makers of RuneScape are putting Pagan references into the game via the skill of Runecrafting? Runecrafting is a skill to make things that help you cast magical spells! That has nothing to do with Paganism WHATSOEVER.

The term pagan is from Greek paganus, an adjective originally meaning "rural", "rustic" or "of the country." As a noun, paganus was used to mean "country dweller, villager."

Where the hell does Runecrafting fit into any of this crap? It sounds like daddy's been telling you that everything that isn't Christian must be evil.

Before you start throwing immature flames, perhaps you should do a bit of studying? ;)

http://newage.suite101.com/article.cfm/runecrafting

Yes, That is what the translation of the word 'Paganism' means. However, it is not what Paganism is. Paganism is a generalisation for religions that pre-date Christianity. The symbols that are commonly used on Runes, are characters from the Futhark, as Germanic NeoPaganism seems to be bigger on Runecrafting, than other smaller religions.

EDIT: Also, why don't you read some of my posts? I am a Asatruar, why would I hate my own people?

Perhaps i should explain all of you this before this flame war locks the thread:

I speak in the name of the Dark lord, the god of the dark flames, the One known as the Usurper during the times of the godwars: We have razed entire cities, burned their fields, and cursed their lands, many empires fell bofore us, mighty Zarosian empire is only one of them, so behold as we speak as one in the name of our god: Paganism has nothing to do with Gielinor gods, if you find any similiar things, then all i can say that we reside in diffiorent dimensions, where gods look diffirently. Here in Gielinor being a god is having a certain amount of divine energy, widely known as "the spirit", the enery that Gielinor was constructed from and the energy that powers the matrixes of RuneScape. So if any of you thing that runes in your world and runes from our world are similiar, you must be completely utterly mad and insane. The children of the Lord would interrupt if anything would threaten the beliefs of Gielinor. So tell "bob" that either he can start beliving in our lord and live or other gods and die, or stay where he is now and be exiled and banishes into the flamin pits of the dark inner circle hidden in the canyon of doom. Altho ive heard rumours that pagans do live in Gielinor, but only in the far oversea eastern lands. And to all of these infides, if anyone will fight over religion from other realms here, ill be forced to use the one staff and claim their souls for my lord. And good day all.

Forever dark servant of the Dark Lord Zamorak , Re dormado

The clock is ticking, and your time is running out, mortals.

To my understanding, pagans are anything other than the followers of Christ. There have been alot of pagan religions started after Christianity. Are they not pagan?

*Throws self in front of kurt to block imminent flaming*

Paganism is a religion, like Buddhism and Christianity. It's not a one-size-fits-all title for nonchristian religions.

Mithdragonsig5.jpg

[hide=quote]

Before you start throwing immature flames, perhaps you should do a bit of studying? ;)

http://newage.suite101.com/article.cfm/runecrafting

Yes, That is what the translation of the word 'Paganism' means. However, it is not what Paganism is. Paganism is a generalisation for religions that pre-date Christianity. The symbols that are commonly used on Runes, are characters from the Futhark, as Germanic NeoPaganism seems to be bigger on Runecrafting, than other smaller religions.

EDIT: Also, why don't you read some of my posts? I am a Asatruar, why would I hate my own people?

[/hide]

Of course your denomination or of Paganism very much may deal with Runecrafting, but I was referring to how Pagansim came to be. Original Pagan beliefs are not even really beliefs at all. Romans considered them Pagan because they were not exposed to Christianity and rather believed that the earth was the greater being and each of the elements of the earth had a power behind them. Most of these people were nomadic in a sense and only lived to survive, not to serve a higher being; thus Pagans. Believe me, I've studied all of this material before and to classify "NeoPaganism" with the true earliest form of Paganism is very incorrect. They are two vastly different worlds.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

I've studied all of this material before and to classify "NeoPaganism" with the true earliest form of Paganism is very incorrect.

Who said anything about me talking about the earliest Pagan religions?

Germanic NeoPaganism is a reconstruction of religion in the Viking Era - not earlier.

Paganism is a generalisation for religions that pre-date Christianity. The symbols that are commonly used on Runes, are characters from the Futhark, as Germanic NeoPaganism seems to be bigger on Runecrafting, than other smaller religions.

I thought that's what you were referring to with those two sentences, if not, well then I have misunderstood your aim. I apologize.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

Perhaps i should explain all of you this before this flame war locks the thread:

I speak in the name of the Dark lord, the god of the dark flames, the One known as the Usurper during the times of the godwars: We have razed entire cities, burned their fields, and cursed their lands, many empires fell bofore us, mighty Zarosian empire is only one of them, so behold as we speak as one in the name of our god: Paganism has nothing to do with Gielinor gods, if you find any similiar things, then all i can say that we reside in diffiorent dimensions, where gods look diffirently. Here in Gielinor being a god is having a certain amount of divine energy, widely known as "the spirit", the enery that Gielinor was constructed from and the energy that powers the matrixes of RuneScape. So if any of you thing that runes in your world and runes from our world are similiar, you must be completely utterly mad and insane. The children of the Lord would interrupt if anything would threaten the beliefs of Gielinor. So tell "bob" that either he can start beliving in our lord and live or other gods and die, or stay where he is now and be exiled and banishes into the flamin pits of the dark inner circle hidden in the canyon of doom. Altho ive heard rumours that pagans do live in Gielinor, but only in the far oversea eastern lands. And to all of these infides, if anyone will fight over religion from other realms here, ill be forced to use the one staff and claim their souls for my lord. And good day all.

Forever dark servant of the Dark Lord Zamorak , Re dormado

Closes runescape window before his evilness hits.

Only in your virtual world dude

~~~~~

to my knowledge, neopaganism is just a subcategory for paganism.

Paganism is a broad generalization of all non-Christian religions. Well excluding the Muslims, they are the only exception.

What I find is interesting is that the Egyptians worshiped cats and they gave yearly human sacrifices to the Nile. Just thoughts from someone living in the 21st century reflecting on the past with the wisdom of knowing that one's race was once full of fools and it can happen again.

But ya to get back on topic, runescape barrows most of its stuff from pagans. zamorak has human sacrifices given to him. Also they make sure you know that he is evil, but some people just don't understand that killing someone else and calling it a sacrifice is bad. Thats why God was His own sacrifice when he wanted reparation, he respects our rights as humans and creatures.

maybe, but wouldnt it be kinda lame if there was only 1 god in runescape? :P

99 Fletching - 01/08/08

99 Theiving - 09/11/08

99 Cooking - 12/13/08

99 Runecrafting - 10/23/09

99 Strength - 05/07/10

This post is about what type of Religion you think is suggested. I dont mean Christianity, Atheism, Buddhism, or anything. Im talking about it Mono or Polytheism. Mono = 1god, Poly = 2+ gods btw. Its a post not a holy war keep on subject. And yes i agree with 'dusky'.

I have not had a post locked since: July 17th, 2008. \:D/

Attempts at Beating GH3 on Expert: 16 and counting \:D/

Check out my new RuneScape-Only Forum at http://www.runeforum.moonfruit.com There's not a single mod there! Be in the first 100 to join! It's Free! OMG OMG OMG!! Lol, seriously there are no mods at all.

zdavenz.png

86/99 Fletching. The siggy lies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1