Matt's Firemaking Guide (by a Level 99 Firemaker!)

Kaphias

Matt's Guide to Firemaking

FM-guide-banner2.jpg

After getting 99 Firemaking, I decided to write up all of my tips and tricks in the form of a guide... enjoy!

Firstly, this guide is not made for the new firemaker. I have written this guide so that it focuses on levels 70 and up. It only highlights MY methods, not every single log, bank, and all that. I have done my best to include options for the different types of players out there, wether you are a member or a free player, or piles of money or dirt-poor. I've been through all of those stages... so I hope I can address them well!

________________________________________________________________________________

Table of contents

1. Where to train

2. What to burn

3. How to not get bored

4. Tips and tricks

5. Conclusion

________________________________________________________________________________

Where to train

[hide=Falador East Bank]I tried quite a few places during my travels, none of which I found better than outside the Falador East bank.

There are two different places for you to firemake here. One set of lines for F2P, one set for P2P.

FM-Guide-lines2.jpg

(Map credit to Tip.it.)

For our F2P players:

FM-Guide-F2P-lines.jpg

Your lines start 3 and 4 "steps" north of the bank. Firemake away, run back to the bank, and start again. The nice thing about this set of lines versus the P2P ones is that you are doing most of the running while you are not carrying any logs, therefore you use less run energy and will be able to firemake for longer without walking. If you will only be firemaking for short periods of time, or are doing firemaking where you have breaks so your run can recharge, you may use the other line if you wish.

For our P2P players:

FM-Guide-P2P-lines.jpg

These are two of the best firemaking lines in all of Runescape. The reason being is that they are very few steps from the bank. Your lines start East of the bank, 2 and 3 "steps" South of the door you can see in the picture. Light off your logs, bank, and run back to where you started. With some practice, you'll be able to do all your movement by using the minimap.[/hide]

[hide=Edgeville]Xp/hour:

[images of lines][/hide]

[hide=Varrock East Bank]Xp/hour:

[images of lines][/hide]

[hide=Varrock West Bank]Xp/hour:

[images of lines][/hide]

[hide=Varrock West Bank (tele method)]Xp/hour:

[images of lines][/hide]

[hide=Rouges Den]Xp/hour:

[images of lines][/hide]

[hide=Camelot]Xp/hour:

[images of lines][/hide]

[hide=Yanille]Xp/hour:

[images of lines][/hide]

[hide=Grand Exchange]Xp/hour:

[images of lines][/hide]

What to burn

When I decided I was going to go for 99 Firemaking (I was 70 at the time) I bought over 120k Willow logs and started lighting. Shortly after, I stopped. A few months later I started again, with willows. Again, I stopped. That continued until about level 83, at which point I finally switched to my recommended log...

Maples!

Switching to Maple logs made a huge difference for me, as after I started with maples, I was able to go almost straight to 99. The price also wasn't a huge difference considering how much faster it felt. Remember that willows logs give only 90xp each compared to maples 135.

But it really depends on how much money you are willing to spend and how much patience you have. In my opinion though, Maples are much better than Willows. Be-warned though: once you use Maples, you may find it hard to go back.

How to not get bored

Firemaking is undoubtedly one of the most boring skills. Unlike many other skills, you have to be clicking to get xp. Therefore, unless you are entertained by watching your character light a bunch of fires... you need to find something else to do. I happen to have two great options.

First option is one many people use: listening to music. For someone like me, who can really "get into" the music, it works great. But trust me, after listening to your iTunes Library 50 times over, you'll want to find something else.

Movies. And that doesn't mean go sit down infront of your TV and watch one. Why not? You'll be doing more listening than watching, because your eyes have to move such a long distance between the computer screen and the TV. How do we solve this problem? Simple, we put the movie on your computer screen. Allow me to show you how I did it in this photo:

FM-Guide-video.jpg

Let the movie play away while you firemake. Before I started this method, I was only able to firemake for about 2 hours at a time... once I used this method, I played for 7 hours one day!

Tips and tricks

Here I will quickly outline a few of my tricks I found and used when I firemake.

Use 3 tinderboxes

FM-Guide-3-t-boxes.jpg

I began using three tinderboxes when I learned of the health risks of moving your wrists too much. It is usually referred to as a repetitive strain injury. [Wikipedia Article] Using three tinderboxes allowed me to firemake longer without noticeable strain to my wrist, and also lessened my probability to mis-click. I HIGHLY recommend using this method whenever firemaking.

Play in low detail

Unless you have an insanely fast computer and internet connection, stay in low detail mode whenever firemaking. To much lag can noticeably slow down your firemaking. I also recommend firemaking in small screen so you can watch videos, but that's up to you.

Putting logs in inventory

This is for those of you who just can't stand missing those level-up pictures. What you want to do is log out (to reset your Highscores), then go to Tip.it's Firemaking Calculator. Find the log you will be burning and write down how many you need to light until your next level. Log back in and open up your bank. Withdraw ALL the logs of the type you chose in noted form. Then withdraw the number of logs that you need for your next level.

You can now see how many logs you have to burn until your next level! Awesome huh?

Conclusion

Please point out any errors I have made. Remember, this guide outlined MY methods, which may or may not be the best. For that reason, don't post anything related to "That's not the fastest way n00b" or whatever. I never said anything in here was the "best" or "fastest" way to do something, just my favorite. It got me to 99, and will get me farther, so I'm happy.

Thanks for reading.

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

8,325th to 99 Firemaking 3/9/08 | 44,811th to 99 Cooking 7/16/08

4,968th to 99 Farming 10/9/09 | Runescaper August 2005-March 2010

Tip.it Mod Feb. 2008-Sep. 2008 | Tip.it Crew Sep. 2008-Nov. 2009

Pretty good guide :thumbup: .. I have used the movie-watching method before myself, but normally while wc'ing. With those lines you speak of, I normally see F2P'ers using the line that you said is for P2P, and almost never see F2P using the F2P line you said they said you should use. Maybe this is a mix-up? Also, I have heard that the grand exchange is the best place to firemake, but I won't criticize you for it because you said that this is based on your own methods. Pretty good guide nevertheless.

100% F2P- 70 CB, My goal of 1100 total level-

My goal for 1100 total f2p

TFS Leader - http://z11.invisionfree.com/TTFS/index.php?

With those lines you speak of, I normally see F2P'ers using the line that you said is for P2P, and almost never see F2P using the F2P line you said they said you should use. Maybe this is a mix-up?

No mix up there. Getting those lines sorted out is one of the main reasons I wrote this guide.

Also, I have heard that the grand exchange is the best place to firemake, but I won't criticize you for it because you said that this is based on your own methods. Pretty good guide nevertheless.

I've heard this too, but you are correct in that this guide outlines my methods, which may or may not be the best.

Thanks!

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

With those lines you speak of, I normally see F2P'ers using the line that you said is for P2P, and almost never see F2P using the F2P line you said they said you should use. Maybe this is a mix-up?

No mix up there. Getting those lines sorted out is one of the main reasons I wrote this guide.

Also, I have heard that the grand exchange is the best place to firemake, but I won't criticize you for it because you said that this is based on your own methods. Pretty good guide nevertheless.

I've heard this too, but you are correct in that this guide outlines my methods, which may or may not be the best.

Thanks!

I re-read the section on what it said about F2P firemaking, and I realized your point. That's actually pretty smart, as I don't know of many people who have thought of that. Good thinking =D>

100% F2P- 70 CB, My goal of 1100 total level-

My goal for 1100 total f2p

TFS Leader - http://z11.invisionfree.com/TTFS/index.php?

Felix, think of a more thorough response to his guide.

Great guide Kaphias, very helpful for P2P'ers especially. And now I won't get RWS injury because of the 3 tinderbox method :lol:

2257AD.TUMBLR.COM

now since this is a pretty new guide and i myself managed to get 99 firemaking just a week back and in the time to my 99 i got some knowledge which all should have or else they will be in the pain i am in now.

its called RSI(short for repeative strain injusy) and it mean you do the same movement to much and trust me it's NOT something you want.

i myself was warned by a friend but did i listen? no instead of stopping i kept going because i though if i just got 99 firemaking then i could relax and it would be nothing so here is it.

i had around 5 days left to 99 fm so i was around 94fm or something, i had by that time set a goal of 1 level aday until 99.

i spoke with my friend about me getting 99 fm and she warned me about RSI as i didnt feel anything of that sort at the time i just passed it by as a note and kept firemaking.

around lvl 96/97 i began to feel soor in my arm but still just though i could race ahead and egt done before time and it wouldn't become anything bad, so i kept going and when i was almost 98 i began i feel that my wrist hurt and my shoulder hurt even more then before. when i got to the point where i only had 100k to 99 i almost had to quit because it hurt so much but i decided not to and just get it over with.

so i got it, i got my first 99 after 8 years of play and god it was good but i couldn't get around the fact that i had/have hurt my arm and my wrist, i had even hurt my back from sitting in the same position to much.

so i took ab break thinking it would turn it around but here is the fact... it didn't! even now a week later i think when i sit a computer if i even want to risk it getting worse. and now i have to do slow workout with my wrist so that it can get back to normal

there are 3 things to look for if you are getting RSI

1) direct pain... this is nasty and you should stop right away.

2) stiffness... if you feel like you can't move your hand or arm propperly its a sign that you got bad blood cirkulation

3) irritation... this could mean slight pain or if you hand starts to look like your using a computer mouse even though you not at the computer

to cut things short... you might want to add that if you ever feel any thing in any joints in you body while fming or for that sake when you do anything else that is repeative then stop and take a break. for god sake listen to the signals your body gives you and don't end up like me taking pain medication and have to work out to do.

Played since February 2001

alexrn2vh6.jpg

13th to 30 hunting

firemaking cape achieved 6th August 2008_-_-_-_Quest cape achieved 19th August 2009

• 2 weeks later...

Great guide!

I did a computer course a couple of months ago and they gave us a list of things to do to help prevent RSI.

Here goes:

Always sit in a straight backed chair and sit up. Your knee and hips should be at right angles. the screen should be at least 60cm away from your eyes. Your elbows should be at a right angle, and your upper arms should go straight down. Every hour take a walk around the room, every 2-3 hours take a walk around the block.

Hope that helps!

hot_lips255.png

Signature your in it put backwards this read to enough smart were you if.

Did you know that 78.45% of statistics are made up on the spot?

hot_lips255.png

[Removed - Site sends spam and requires personal information to recieve results] Bluelancer

• 1 month later...
Great guide!

I did a computer course a couple of months ago and they gave us a list of things to do to help prevent RSI.

Here goes:

Always sit in a straight backed chair and sit up. Your knee and hips should be at right angles. the screen should be at least 60cm away from your eyes. Your elbows should be at a right angle, and your upper arms should go straight down. Every hour take a walk around the room, every 2-3 hours take a walk around the block.

Hope that helps!

u'd have a field day with me, i dont think i do one of those suggestions and im fine. id much rather be comfy than safe.

macho_munky.png

Health risk? Lol. :lol:

Seriously, I would remove the part about Willows being an option. Anybody can make enough money to use Maples... and include Eucs/Yews? It's efficient for people who make alot of money an hour.

Yes, health risk. Seriously. ;)

And do I really have to point out to you...

It only highlights MY methods, not every single log, bank, and all that.

I used Willows, so I included them. I did not use Eucs or Yews, so I didn't include them. Sorry if that sounds selfish, but I feel that I know the methods I outlined best. If I ever get around to using another log/spot that I feel I can share a good opinion on, then I will add it to the guide.

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

Health risk? Lol. :lol:

Seriously, I would remove the part about Willows being an option. Anybody can make enough money to use Maples... and include Eucs/Yews? It's efficient for people who make alot of money an hour.

Yes, health risk. Seriously. ;)

And do I really have to point out to you...

It only highlights MY methods, not every single log, bank, and all that.

I used Willows, so I included them. I did not use Eucs or Yews, so I didn't include them. Sorry if that sounds selfish, but I feel that I know the methods I outlined best. If I ever get around to using another log/spot that I feel I can share a good opinion on, then I will add it to the guide.

Hmm... I'm not bashing anything, but you should include at least a mention that they exist, and they can be efficient.

[Summoning guide (AOW)] [Slayer guide] [Melee & Brawl player]

inuyashakent-2.png

Hmm... I'm not bashing anything, but you should include at least a mention that they exist, and they can be efficient.

As I said, I personally have not used them enough to know that they can be efficient, so they are not in the guide.

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

Personally, I don't think just being level 99 in a skill makes you automatically qualified to write a guide about it. ;) You should, in my opinion, be familiar with all the methods that someone might want to use, so you have a good idea of which ones are better and why in order to pass that on to the reader.

In this case though, I happen to agree for the most part with the methods you recommend. However, I prefer the Grand Exchange for the location, since you can access a bank directly at both the beginning and the end of your burn line. And I think three tinderboxes is just a little superfluous--two should be plenty.

Personally, I don't think just being level 99 in a skill makes you automatically qualified to write a guide about it. ;) You should, in my opinion, be familiar with all the methods that someone might want to use, so you have a good idea of which ones are better and why in order to pass that on to the reader.

Point taken. I'll now go and get 99 Firemaking using every log and every possible place. I'll then be able to write a guide where I'm familiar with all the methods.

In this case though, I happen to agree for the most part with the methods you recommend. However, I prefer the Grand Exchange for the location, since you can access a bank directly at both the beginning and the end of your burn line. And I think three tinderboxes is just a little superfluous--two should be plenty.

Grand Exchange lags too much for many players, especially for a skill where lag can really slow you down. There are also too many distractions (IMO) and to many thing to mis-click on. And I personally like three. Some like two. Some find one ism enough. I like three though, so that's what I recommended.

I really do appreciate the comments, even if I may seem harsh when replying. Thanks a bunch.

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

Actually testing all the methods? Quite unnecessary. In a skill like firemaking, just do the math. 1.2k logs an hour, costs, ect. It's not that hard.

Almost. Some places, and logs for that matter, will give the player a better "feel" for them, even if it's not the fastest method. I used willows for what seemed like the longest time. They were cost efficient, but they just weren't fast enough to get me to 99 without giving up multiple times. I then jumped up to yews. I felt like I was just dropping money all over the place. So I tired maples. They gave me that perfect feel that allowed me to go for 99 Firemaking.

Same with places. I've used quite a few different spots, some faster than Falador, but Falador gave me that feel that allowed me to push on.

It really just comes down to preference, though. When I find the time for it, I'll gradually start adding in times for more logs and more places.

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png