Didn't Keep My Whip On Death...

MicroLegionnaire

Why didn't you check what items you would keep on you before you headed out?

Well in some places, like when you have to use guthans, and everything else is protected over spear, you know you'll loose spear, even though it's worth half the entire set. The point is why should you keep a less expencive item over an expencive one?

Bogwaga.gif

bogwaga.png

Notable Drops:

5 X Dragon Axe.......1 X D Skirt...............1 X Bandos Platebody

3 X Zerker Ring.......1 X Bandos Hilt

4 X Warrior Ring......1 X Bandos Tassets

Choosing what items you could keep would remove what little risk is left in the game.

that's not true at all...if you talk to the lumbridge tutors or look on the RS KB you will find that Jagex explicitly says that on death your 3 most "valuable" items are kept. According to this statement the whip should be kept as it fetches a higher value on the G.E. and is thus considered a more "valuable" item than the dh stuff and drag sq...the fact that he lost his whip means that Jagex's system of "valuing" items is fatally flawed and they should do something about it such as letting us choose which items to keep.

after all it should be OUR RIGHT to choose which 3 items we want to keep since jagex says that the 3 most "valuable" items and kept and since different people will value their items differently...depending on sentimental value, usefulness to them etc.

besides if you are carrying lots of items you will still lose the other valuable items making the game a risk...he is not suggesting that one loses nothing on death...only suggesting that jagex improves their "valuation" system.

Wrong. Your 3 most valuable items are kept, according to their high alchemy value, a system that's been in place long before the grand exchange and a standard market value for items ever existed. Letting you choose which items to keep would make people stupidly careless while running around with items liek rares and, as you can tell, whips and items of the sort. The system isn't flawed, this is just the anger of players saying "oh well it inconveniences me in some way, IT HAS TO GO!" It's not unfair that the original poster lost his whip even though it was higher on the grand exchange, it's called challenge. Don't die, and you won't even have to worry about what you keep upon death.

When you said it should be "our right to choose which items kept on death" I had to laugh. What gives you this sense of entitlement that everything you want, you suddenly have the "right to"? You don't have the "right" to choose what items you keep on death, you have the right to play the game with as minimal bugs as possible in the way Jagex wants it to be designed with as much player input as they would like. You have the right to pay for membership, should you decide to, and not break the rules if you don't expect to be punished. Those are the only things you have a right to in this game.

Why should Jagex bother putting in a system that a tiny amount of players care enough about to speak up about it, that will only end up bringing in more complaining when, say, someone is disconnected and doesn't even get to keep an item because the screen disappeared upon logout? Or when the items update and suddenly your whip isn't as expensive as something else in your inventory, and you lose it anyway.

dude lots of systems have been in place for a long time in the world but that doesn't make them right at all...look at the rise and fall of communism for one and you will see what i mean...just because the high alch system has been in place since runescape started doesn't make it right...if what you said is right then there will be no need to change anything cause the longer something has been in place the more "right" it will be...

laws and legislations are changed and reviewed as time passes to keep up to the changes which society embraces and to be more efficient and serve the needs of the people better...i think it is time that jagex reviews this system of how valuable items are chosen rather than trust in the archaic system that they currently use...

it should be our right to decide because jagex explicitly stats that the 3 most "valuable" items are kept and their system of valuing items is fatally flawed...if we were to go by high alch values i really would love to trade my rune large for someone's christmas cracker...i'm sure they will be glad to trade with me as well =D> (despite the fact that it is impossible to do so now)

on one hand jagex has the high alch value list of items and on the other hand they have the GE price list of items...would you like to tell me how AN ITEM COULD HAVE 2 DIFFERENT VALUES AT THE SAME TIME? IT IS RIDICULOUS TO SAY THAT AN ITEM IS WORTH 3gp AND 700M gp AT THE SAME TIME...totally contradictory and flawed as i have already mentioned in my previous post...

to get around the problem you mentioned in your last paragraph jagex could easily allow players to determine which 3 items you keep which i believe is an extremely feasible addition for jagex to make. this will be a more more efficient system as i'm sure many people value their items differently...no one may want to pay a million dollars for my ring of life but i wouldn't give it up for anything if it was something a close friend gave to me in the game as a symbol of friendship...i would even protect it over stuff like abyssal whips or barrow armour which hold less sentimental value which cannot be bought. thus i really feel that the valuation system which jagex has in place is really in great need for an update. (by the way i doubt it is just a small amount of players who are bothered about this...lots of people have been complaining about it in the rants section already...)

maxed out melee on 10/10/08, current goal: 94/99 cooking

life may be unfair, but why can't it be unfair in my favor?

my fake plant died because i forgot to pretend to water it

Selhy.png

I REALLY wish we would be able to select which items we keep on death, high alch values aren't reliable...

High alch values are very reliable, they even added a feature into the game a year or so ago where you can see what items you'll keep on death.

And the cool thing about high alch values is that they never change, unlike market values. And no choosing your items kept on death. This is runescape not let's-take-the-challenge-out-of-death...um, scape.

Dat's lyke maulerwafflerz.

And yea, check what items you keep on death...

WOW high alch values are really reliable...hmm i wonder why i still have not alch my partyhat then...it has been sitting on the GE at minimum price for a couple of weeks and if high alch values were reliable i would certainly have done so....find someone selling phats for 1gp please?

i can't believe my eyes when i read that "high alch values are very reliable"

if you want my opinion of this statement, it is as reliable as high alch values are =D>

the very feature that high alch values do not change make it EVEN MORE RELIABLE...yea i'm so sure about that.

values of items change ALL THE TIME...depending on the introduction of new equipment and stuff or changes in circumstances so the very feature of high alch values not changing at all makes it such a flawed system...

i'm sure that something which doesn't change despite everything else around it changing is the most reliable feature in the world.

maxed out melee on 10/10/08, current goal: 94/99 cooking

life may be unfair, but why can't it be unfair in my favor?

my fake plant died because i forgot to pretend to water it

Selhy.png

on one hand jagex has the high alch value list of items and on the other hand they have the GE price list of items...would you like to tell me how AN ITEM COULD HAVE 2 DIFFERENT VALUES AT THE SAME TIME? IT IS RIDICULOUS TO SAY THAT AN ITEM IS WORTH 3gp AND 700M gp AT THE SAME TIME...totally contradictory and flawed as i have already mentioned in my previous post...

to get around the problem you mentioned in your last paragraph jagex could easily allow players to determine which 3 items you keep which i believe is an extremely feasible addition for jagex to make. this will be a more more efficient system as i'm sure many people value their items differently...no one may want to pay a million dollars for my ring of life but i wouldn't give it up for anything if it was something a close friend gave to me in the game as a symbol of friendship...i would even protect it over stuff like abyssal whips or barrow armour which hold less sentimental value which cannot be bought. thus i really feel that the valuation system which jagex has in place is really in great need for an update. (by the way i doubt it is just a small amount of players who are bothered about this...lots of people have been complaining about it in the rants section already...)

Communism started in the 20th century. In regards to human history, the rise and fall took place in the blink of an eye because it was so flawed.

We go by the high alch values because it's how Jagex sees the worth of the item. Before the grand exchange changing from the high alch system would be impossible because there was no standard for prices. It is slightly more possible today, but still unplausable. Many items don't sell at the medium value, and you would still have players complaining that the prices are wrong. Take godswords and other items that are heavily junk traded for a higher or lower price. No matter what, you'll still have players complaining that the drop on death prices are wrong, and it's so much easier just to keep a static database based on the high alch price than to have to recode player's accounts to dynamically change with the Grand Exchange, that changes about every 4 hours.

Items can have two different prices, in fact items on Runescape have more than two. There's the grand exchange, junk trading, and how much the general store will buy and sell for, and high alch (General stores buy for the low alch value). That's five different prices right there. Practically every MMO has a difference in what the players pay for an item and how the developers see its worth (Usually vendor prices, as most other MMO's don't have a drop on death policy). Also, you say it's contradictory and flawed, yet you don't explain why.

I understand what you mean about the ring of life, I personally have a rune longsword a friend gave me a long time ago that I've kept, as well as my only chisel in the bank being one I got from another friend the day I started playing Runescape, but as I've already said it is a non-issue. I obviously cannot speak for Jagex, but I cannot see them implementing this just because of the support against it from players who believe it is a detriment to the challenge this game presents.

But hey, maybe I'm wrong and now that the grand exchange has set a universal price on items, this has gone onto the list of updates. But judging on how long an update as easy (sounding) as taking away randoms is taking them, I wouldn't expect this any time soon.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

dude lots of systems have been in place for a long time in the world but that doesn't make them right at all...look at the rise and fall of communism for one and you will see what i mean...just because the high alch system has been in place since runescape started doesn't make it right...if what you said is right then there will be no need to change anything cause the longer something has been in place the more "right" it will be...

laws and legislations are changed and reviewed as time passes to keep up to the changes which society embraces and to be more efficient and serve the needs of the people better...i think it is time that jagex reviews this system of how valuable items are chosen rather than trust in the archaic system that they currently use...

it should be our right to decide because jagex explicitly stats that the 3 most "valuable" items are kept and their system of valuing items is fatally flawed...if we were to go by high alch values i really would love to trade my rune large for someone's christmas cracker...i'm sure they will be glad to trade with me as well =D> (despite the fact that it is impossible to do so now)

Some items are more expensive for the sole reason that they are dropped upon death over other items in the set, as shown by barrows helmets and somewhat in whips. Putting this in wouldn't make people drop "what they're supposed to", it would only make the situation that much more confusing having to check not only every day, but every time you log in to make sure your set hasn't suddenly changed and your whip no longer protects over something else because the lack of risk in such items are causing them to crash, meaning you'll lose them anyway.

And why should rares be treated special? They're regular items like anything else in Jagex's eyes, they just happen to be more sought after. That's why their high alch is about 3gp

Why didn't you check what items you would keep on you before you headed out?

QFT. We have that option now, why didn't you take three seconds to check?

Ditto, don't complain about losing items when it CLEARLY states what you will and will not lose :roll: .

The g.e. and/or high alch values aren't to be blamed; it's laziness of checking what items you will lose upon death

menea_reuter.pnglinkresponsewb2.th.jpg

ok think about this

you have in your inventory types of items - 10 feathers, some white desert boots, 2gp and a yellow party hat.

and then you die

you get to lumby to find you fortunately have your cexy white boots, 2gp to give to a beggar in lumby and some feathers you can later use to flyfish and no longer have some silly worthless yellow hat -.-

69er_is_best.png

GWD solo drops: Armadyl Hilt sold at 63.5m - (More to come hopefully)

• 2 weeks later...
Choosing what items you could keep would remove what little risk is left in the game.

that's not true at all...if you talk to the lumbridge tutors or look on the RS KB you will find that Jagex explicitly says that on death your 3 most "valuable" items are kept. According to this statement the whip should be kept as it fetches a higher value on the G.E. and is thus considered a more "valuable" item than the dh stuff and drag sq...the fact that he lost his whip means that Jagex's system of "valuing" items is fatally flawed and they should do something about it such as letting us choose which items to keep.

after all it should be OUR RIGHT to choose which 3 items we want to keep since jagex says that the 3 most "valuable" items and kept and since different people will value their items differently...depending on sentimental value, usefulness to them etc.

besides if you are carrying lots of items you will still lose the other valuable items making the game a risk...he is not suggesting that one loses nothing on death...only suggesting that jagex improves their "valuation" system.

If that happened people would thing "hmmm I have no good drops and no food left the rest of this armour is rubbish... Free lumby teleport." So it would be abused.

My username is jamesrules90 NOT jimmyjames227.

897093.gif

Click here to feed me!

A nice undieable one!!!

• 2 weeks later...

choosing what items are kept on death would unbalance the prices. why do you think guth spear and v helm are ridiculously expensive compared to the rest of the set? because you lose them on death. personally, whenever i am doing anything remotely dangerous i check what i will lose, to make sure i will be ok with my losses on death.

one time i died sololing bandos, lost k top, d boots, barrows gloves, neitznot helm and dds. it added up to more than a mil, but i didnt care, because i was prepared for death and i was sure i had the cash to easily replace my losses..

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

choosing what items are kept on death would unbalance the prices. why do you think guth spear and v helm are ridiculously expensive compared to the rest of the set? because you lose them on death. personally, whenever i am doing anything remotely dangerous i check what i will lose, to make sure i will be ok with my losses on death.

one time i died sololing bandos, lost k top, d boots, barrows gloves, neitznot helm and dds. it added up to more than a mil, but i didnt care, because i was prepared for death and i was sure i had the cash to easily replace my losses..

You bumped a post no-ones has posted on in 9 days...

Look at the last post before replying unless its 100% necessary to do so.