Forum.Tip.It - Donating?

Bmw

Well I've recently been signing up like mad on services like paypal and ebay (heh, getting ready for some big summer spending 8) ) and I was wondering, does the tip it forums have their own donation fund? I know tip.it as a whole has one (runescape website wise) but the truth is, I really don't want to donate to runescape services. I want to donate to the actual forums, rather than the tips website.

I was thinking, wouldn't it be interesting/encouraging if donations came with extra services? I mean...you donate a certain amount, and as a result you have the ad banner removed, or even something as simple as a custom nick under your avatar. I truthfully believe that if benefits such as that are added, this will give many the extra push to donate to the forums.

I am sure there's many out there like myself who would, if given the chance, donate to the forums itself, rather than the tips website. I'm posting this rather than pming an admin for two reasons. I'd like to hear your opinions on if you would consider donating or not, and feedback from a variety of mods and admins.

Thanks,

Bmw :P

signaturecj5.jpg

I'm pretty sure the only way to donate just now is through the site. All the money goes to Silverion anyway as he pays for the hosting of the site and forums.

I quite agree on the idea of getting extra ways of donating to the forum, like paying for the use of an avatar for example (this has been discussed about not that long ago.)

sig2ho7.jpg

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr

Censor blocks it, but if you want to donate go here:

http://www.tip.it/runescape/?contact

Look in the top right corner and it will say 'Make a donation'

You can donate there. Every cent helps :D

I personally like tip.it because it DOESN'T advertise for donations. Other fan sites are swarming with posts and announcements which ask for donations, and as a reward people get icons, ranks, etc. I think it's awful like that :| If you really do want to give a donation, you'll do it just becuase you want to keep this site up and running and it comes from your heart :wink:

punk4ever.gif

By The_Jeppoz :wink:

https://www.not-needed-here.com/cgi-bin/webscr

I personally like tip.it because it DOESN'T advertise for donations. Other fan sites are swarming with posts and announcements which ask for donations, and as a reward people get icons, ranks, etc. I think it's awful like that :| If you really do want to give a donation, you'll do it just becuase you want to keep this site up and running and it comes from your heart :wink:

Yeah, if the people care enough they'll donate. Not like what RuneHQ did back in November and put a guilt trip on it's members, or how another site, RuneVillage, that has the "RuneBegger" to collect donations. They are very blatant :?

phx.jpg

Gamertag: King Arizona

https://www.not-needed-here.com/cgi-bin/webscr

Argh, I hate it when sites beg for cash. Take *website* for example. This is the 2nd thime they have asked for several hundreds of dollars from their users saying "if you dont give us this money, the site goes."

THANK YOU TIP.IT for not begging for cash.

It just goes to show that the best things in life are free :wink:

Mod edit: Removed other site.. we don't want to start any wars. ~Wyrm

2003676992682512083_rs.jpg

Yeah, I kinda had them in mind, but I refrain from using names :oops: I mean if the members are willing to give, by all means :wink: I just enjoy the "no hassle" ambience here.

punk4ever.gif

I feel custom ranks are a real privilege. Look around, see many? Lets keep it that way. As it is you must win a contest or be a mod to have the honor of changing you title.

PS. I think that the crewbies should get to change there title as well for all the work they do, but thats just me.

i would donate, just need to sneak my parents cradit card :twisted:

No thanks ;)

Rather than doing that, i'd prefer you just click on an ad every now and then... :)

Anyways... in regards to the Topic on hand... firstly - thank you for thinking of us... it's nice to see that not everyone just clicks on what they want without a thought for what goes on in the background... I guess events on one or more of our "competition" sites lately has kind of brought to light the more unsavoury sides of running a fan-site... paying the bills :P

In regards to the comment of forums separate from the website - both servers are paid for by the advertising/donations collected from both areas, into a pooled fund. So, donating through the link on the site IS donating to the forums ;)

As has already been mentioned, we have, for quite some time, been bandying around the idea of donation-oriented "extra's" for the forums. It's not going to happen for a while (if it *does* happen at all), as we are more concentrating on getting things running better/more efficiently first. There've been a few performance problems of late on the forum server, which will hopefully be resolved soon. It's possible that, some-time in the relatively near future, we may need to look at a day or two of down-time, to do some rather more drastic maintenance in order to improve performance. I guess we'll see if/when it comes to that ;)

In regards to some of those other sites people have been mentioning, i'll say one thing, as it also relates to comments we've had back regarding some of the work our Crew do, and why some things aren't as detailed as other sites... it's all pretty well summed up in one deceptively simple word :

Bandwidth.

Unfortunately, it's the major drawback for all fan-sites... games use graphics (as a general rule). Therefore, the Guides that are written for those games also require graphics. Those graphics, when viewed, on average, more than 100k times per DAY (for tip.it), generate quite a bit of bandwidth. There's a rather fine line between "enough", and "too much" when it comes to providing information in certain formats. You'll find that those asking for money have, most likely, staggered over into the "too much" area, which is why they are asking for money.

The Tip.it Crew do their work with the goal of ensuring we don't walk, or step over, that line, and thus far have done a fantastic job of it :)

Sorry - got a little O/T there, but it IS kind of relevant, as a background explanation as to why you've not seen us "begging" ;)

One other side-note... we seem to be getting closer to a point where we can start doing something about the dodgy ads that some of you have been reporting... which should free up some more ads for you all to click to bump up that advertising revenue ;)

Oh, jsut spotted Wises' post before I hit submit... just thought i'd mention that the rank thing was merely a suggestion... ;) Unique user colours, like the Mods and Admins have are another option. Also, a unique second avatar is also a possibility. Like I said - this HAS been looked into over time, and comes back to be discussed on a semi-regular basis. Will be keeping an eye on this thread occasionally to see what other ideas/comments/opinions come up on it... always been a sucker for a good, helpful conversation ;)

One-time #13 smither.

All-time #1 noob.

@punk4ever: apparently so. Since I just went there (via the link you posted :P) and all it has is a file:

check.class

... :dunno:

Anyhow: Is the Arenascape donations -> same fund as TIF? :shock:

@punk4ever: apparently so. Since I just went there (via the link you posted :P) and all it has is a file:

check.class

... :dunno:

Anyhow: Is the Arenascape donations -> same fund as TIF? :shock:

Oh, wow. I went there a week or two ago and it sitll had the auction sign up :-\ Weirrrrrrd.

I think the Arenascape fund is also part of the site / forums. So, any donations you make also contribute Arenascape, not that it takes up that much bandwidth (does it? :oops: )

punk4ever.gif

You'd be suprised how much a text based game can you use :P

check your pm's, I don't know if my logic is right so I don't really want to post it.

Leave grin make any kind of occicial statement on that ;)

Exactly, people should donate because they want to keep a great site going, not because they want some special icons, status or rankings (though, to conserve bandwidth it would be probably a good idea to require a small donation like $3 for using an avatar). And when you see posts like this, ASKING to give money to the forums (instead of the forum asking the user), you know it's meaningful to the people using it. :)

I think there's no need for people who donate to get a special avatar, or custom rank. After all we're donating for tip.it, not for ourselves to get a custom rank, or a nice "I donate to tip.it" avatar or whatever the text will be. :P

I'm kind of curious if a lot of people donate to the tip.it. I don't know if you can give out the amount of people, amount of money or w/e you've got, but I'm just curious. After all, the donate button is a bit hidden, away. Especially, those who don't play the game anymore don't even see it. Atleast, I never saw it, I don't know how that is with others. Maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to have similar donate button at the bottom of the fora.

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!

i dont like the idea of others not having an avatar but maby ppl that pay like said could customize their nick name things or something like that but not take away from others currently.

*goes to investigate donating

Aussie Aussie Aussie,

:D

Well the "extras" thing was just a suggestion, but in no way do I mean for or want people to donate just to get these. I don't feel the need to have anything special done to users who donate, as yeah, imo I would just donate to the forums if I had a chance, regardless of if there is an extra or not. However, I do feel that by giving users a small benefit, it will encourage others to put in a few dollars to this great website.

As for the topic itself, just to rehiterate (sp?), it is NOT about extra features for donating. It is more so about donating to the forums itself, rather than the tips site. I would love to see a paypal button in that top corner of the tip it forums one day soon.

I am not suggesting tip it begs us for money. They haven't in the past, nor will they ever (I would assume). I am not suggesting that there be emails or popups issed to ask us for money. I am simply asking for the option to donate or not to these great forums, thats all. No hassle, no obligation, just the option, if ever wanted.

Bmw

signaturecj5.jpg

Adding an "extra" part to your avatar in addition to the normal wouldnt be that big of a deal, and neither would having a custom avatar title. so i dont think its a bad idea to offer those to people who donate.

the bioware forum just gives you a small extra for purchasing their game, (along with the use of an avatar, but well assume that we can still do everything we can already do, just have extra for donating), it just adds the title of a game of theirs you bought to their avatar example a way to incorporate somethign like that onto these forums would be have a list under your avatar, and maybe how much you donated, or seperate the forum and website, and have a "forum donater" and "website donater" titles in addition to your title for post count.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

I don't think it's a real good idea to put in your avatar how much you donated to the fora. It's a bit like showing off, you know, people could take it wrong. I mean, if somebody would donate for example ÃÆââââ¬Ã¡Ãâì10,-- and then you'd see somebody who donated ÃÆââââ¬Ã¡Ãâì100,-- , you could get people arguing, a big populariry competition by donating and stuff. I doubt it would be good for the tip.it atmosphere.

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!