Linux?

stevepole

Well, today I finally got a chance to download and install Kubuntu (ubuntu + KDE combined) and it wasn't like I expected. I'm using it right now and it just reminds me of a lot of the reasons why I left windows in the first place. Of course everything is way more stylist but it just doesn't feel and run like Ubuntu. The installations also took a lot longer then I was expecting, I want to say it took around 30 to 45minutes max. So I'll definitely will be unistalling Kubuntu and sticking to Ubuntu for my linux needs.

tFtfA.jpg

2) Of course, put the blame on something but Linux

Sadly, Flash Player is still closed source (pretty sure). So you can't really blame Linux that software that they can't fix themselves won't work. It is Adobe's fault for not making it open source so it could be used with more OS's(without crashing)

And Linux has issues with a lot of ATI graphics cards, but works great with NVidia

ATI have been working on drivers for Linux more in the last year or so, tho Nvidia drivers for Linux are still way better.

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

ATI have been working on drivers for Linux more in the last year or so, tho Nvidia drivers for Linux are still way better.

That's good to hear, maybe now Linux continue on its road to world domination =D> With Ubuntu leading the charge

looking at this poll created this morning on engadget it'll be awhile before we see that happening, but who knows linux is the number one operating system in Mexico so they already have a start..

tFtfA.jpg

That's good to hear, maybe now Linux continue on its road to world domination =D> With Ubuntu leading the charge

looking at this poll created this morning on engadget it'll be awhile before we see that happening, but who knows linux is the number one operating system in Mexico so they already have a start..

Ya Linux is very popular in third world countries where computers are scarce and what computers they have are old. Linux is the #1 solution (imo) for them since obviously no Mac and Windows can have issues on older hardware due to req specs. Then there are Linux distributions that can run on just about anything.

And we can only hope that a company will step up with Linux, making it easy to install and easy to configure.

Ya Linux is very popular in third world countries where computers are scarce and what computers they have are old. Linux is the #1 solution (imo) for them since obviously no Mac and Windows can have issues on older hardware due to req specs. Then there are Linux distributions that can run on just about anything.

And we can only hope that a company will step up with Linux, making it easy to install and easy to configure.

Don't forget the most important reason, its free.

tFtfA.jpg

I would just like to throw my two cents in. Not so much answering questions, but maybe someone will hear something that kinda helps.

Linux is the only OS I use. I am by no means a Linux guru. I will say a few things about it. The next few statements will be facts and not opinions. Linux is a more stable OS. Linux makes better use of memory. Linux does not have the problems with viruses and spyware that plague MS OS's.

These statements are opinions, some may be facts, but probably just opinion. Linux is easier to install. The people that say Windows is easier to install have probably never actually had to install it. They probably meant that they used a recovery disk to recover their computer which had the drivers already there for them. Try installing Vista from a full version install disk. Guess what, it doesn't have most of the drivers you may need. I personally find it much easier to find missing drivers for Linux than MS.

I prefer Gnome desktop environment. They say KDE is better for Windows users trying to make a switch. I don't know?

You won't have the desktop icons that come with a Window install, but these same equivilant places such as My Computer and Network Places are easily found in the menus. You can add icons to these places on your desktop if you prefer to have them there though.

Linux is not Windows. It probably does have a steeper learning curve. I think most that take the time to learn it will more than likely stick with it as opposed to going back. If you install it and you have sound, cd player issues what have you, these issues can most likely be fixed. As long as you can get on the Internet you can get the packagages (files-drivers) you need to fix the issue. As I have heard somone say on this thread or maybe another one, ubuntu has fantastic forums. I have often solved my problems doing a search and not even having to post. I find that when I do post, people reply quickly to help. Usually within 20 minutes or less.

I encourage anyone to give it a shot, and don't give up the first day just because everything does not work right. I would say if you can bear it to give it at least two weeks to a month to see if you can resolve all your issues. If you don't like it, go back. I strongly feel people that give it an honest effort will love it and stay with it.

Probably common sense for most, but just thought I would mention it anyway. If you go onto a Linux forum looking for help, don't bash it. Most of the people that are there and willing to help are not getting anything in return for helping you. They don't care if you go back to Windows, no one is forcing you to use Linux. They don't tend to have a problem with you talking about Windows. They know there are a ton of people using Windows and trying to transition over.

Good luck, and may you all come over from the evil forces of the dark side one day. :P

Edit: I hear LinuxMint is a good distro for the noob too? I have only run it in VirtualBox OSE and didn't really mess with it that long. It is a distro based on Ubuntu which is a Debian based Linux distribution. I hear Mandriva and PCLinuxOS are pretty noob friendly too. openSUSE is supposed to be too. I used it several years ago. I personally won't use it, but that is another story. It is one to check out though if you want to check out Linux. You may play around with different distros too. Sometimes one distro may work better than another on your particular computer. I highly recommend Ubuntu. I use several different distros, and I find I love Ubuntu as far as just an everyday OS. Just because it is the most popular does not necessarily mean it is the distro for you. If you are starting out, I would definitely suggest you stay away from distros like Arch or Gentoo till you get the hang of it though.

MEPIS is one I have heard mentioned that is supposed to be noob friendly. Never checked it out. Just relaying what I have heard.

in4F.gif

I prefer Gnome desktop environment. They say KDE is better for Windows users trying to make a switch. I don't know?
Nah, when I started using Linux I tried both and I just don't like krap. Gnome is more logical.

As I have heard somone say on this thread or maybe another one, ubuntu has fantastic forums. I have often solved my problems doing a search and not even having to post. I find that when I do post, people reply quickly to help. Usually within 20 minutes or less.
This. Every bug and quirk of Ubuntu is documented on the forums, whether by a guide or a query from a user within 2 months of the release. Actually, I found one very obscure bug that I don't even care about any more (Can't even remember what it was) that I was not able to find anyhwhere, but otherwise my problems were solved.

C2b6gs7.png

while we're on this topic, I just installed ubuntu and i'm trying to install java, with no success. I've looked up a ton of things, but whenever i type a command, nothing happens. The past hour has been spent looking up how to install java, but its been a waste. To run a command, i just type while in the folder, and a little box appears, right? This has been frustrating me to no end...

Installing them via synaptic is probably the easiest option.

You want to go to System -> Administration -> Synaptic Package Manager (or something like that, I don't have it in front of me atm)

Ctrl + F for sun-java6 and you're going to want sun-java6-jre, sun-java6-plugin, and whatever dependencies come along with them.

And to type a command, I'm guessing you mean a terminal, which is at Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal (?)

The box that pops up in a folder (I think this is what you mean) is just for searching for a file/folder.