usahellyes

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for protecting people from themselves, they "should" do it to the extent when, overall, it prevents suffering, and no further; as I have already said, that seems to me to be the only way of rationally and unemotionaly judging extrinsic morality.

So your fine with the government mandating what you are llowed to eat, how much you are allowed to sleep, what entertainment you are allowed to do, how much you are allowed to drive, and further than that how you are allowed to feel and what you are allowed to think, all of these affect your health.

Think, no more sweets, no more chocolate eclairs, no more violence in tv mandated exercise plans, only an allowable amount of anger, strictly forumlised social interactions, what a dry and barren and controlled world that would have to be.

That sounds a lot like the movie Equillibrium, only with more emotions.

And if the world became like that I would end up killing everyone, no exeptions.

wailord.png

If you choose your beliefs/lifestyle simply based on what your parents want, then you are a weak minded individual and are not even worthy of calling yourself a person.

I would suggest a limited democracy, where perhaps only some people are allowed to vote

Sorry who are these people? only the sensible ones? who gets to decide?

Well, exactly: there isn't realy any fair way of doing it; it could be based on intelligence, but that dosen'e take maturity or bias into account; it could be social class, but that is deeply "unfair" in my opinion. If there were a good way of doing it, however, I would support it.

So your fine with the government mandating what you are llowed to eat, how much you are allowed to sleep, what entertainment you are allowed to do, how much you are allowed to drive, and further than that how you are allowed to feel and what you are allowed to think, all of these affect your health.

Think, no more sweets, no more chocolate eclairs, no more violence in tv mandated exercise plans, only an allowable amount of anger, strictly forumlised social interactions, what a dry and barren and controlled world that would have to be.

I am absoultely not in favour of that; as I have already said, I support the idea of the Government forcing things apon people for their own good, but only insofar as it prevents suffering overall (including all levels of indirectness). I believe that truly unbiased decisions, not influenced by any personal morals or beliefs, must be taken using only pain/pleasure to determine if they are "right" or "wrong"; there is are no ther absolutes in terms of philosophy. Unfortunately, this is almost unmeasurable; a competent Goverment would be "neccessary", even if evryone used these principles as their own instrinsic morals, both conscious and unconciously.

If absolute power corrupts absolutely, where does that leave God?

Huh, "limited democracy"? So only the ones that fight the bugs get citizenship? Someone's been watching too many(awesome) movies.

I realy don't know what you're talking about, or what you mean by "bugs".

If absolute power corrupts absolutely, where does that leave God?

I believe in the UK that you are not allowed to smoke in any public places....so no smoking sections in pubs and stuff.

but i think that smoking of any sort should be illigal everywhere....who cares if it gives government money and stuff, it would save tons of lives and also make it where i don't have to hold my breath when ever a smoker walks by me (if they are smoking or not!!!)

cac29dfe51.png

image.png

Please click and warm up my egg.

I believe in the UK that you are not allowed to smoke in any public places....so no smoking sections in pubs and stuff.

but i think that smoking of any sort should be illigal everywhere....who cares if it gives government money and stuff, it would save tons of lives and also make it where i don't have to hold my breath when ever a smoker walks by me (if they are smoking or not!!!)

Why exactly would you hold your breath if they weren't smoking?

"Should"? Absolutely, from a rational viewpoint. I've also smoked in the past (though only moderately) and think it has zero reason not to be classified as a dangerous substance.

"Can"? It will never be illegal in reality, especially in the United States. In New York alone, the cigarette tax brings in $265 million per year. In the US collectively, we're talking about tens of billions of dollars every year.

It might be short-sighted to look at short-term profits and ignore all the lost taxes from those smokers who will die... But that's how the government partly finances it's operations. Just as alcohol & it's prohibition showed... Some substances cannot be, and are not financially viable to be banned due to the massive demand & generation of tax money.

Wow, that's insane. Still, I think that if we were not obsessed w/ $$$ it should be banned,

Thoroughly retired, may still write now and again

I would assume he's talking about the bad smell of some smokers, particulary heavy smokers. That stale smoke smell is very unpleasant.

I would assume he's talking about the bad smell of some smokers, particulary heavy smokers. That stale smoke smell is very unpleasant.

What's worst is when a smoker lights up in an unventilated room and the smoke stagnates for a while. Horrible smell.

But if he was walking past he would probably only take one or possibly two breaths where he was able to smell the person. The first would be unavoidable and holding your breath after that is just meaningless. But I suppose I don't mind the smell of cigarettes nor the smell that sticks with smokers throughout the day.

I can't say that I agree that it should be banned, however, there is always a good side to limits.

If people only smoked in certian areas, not bothering anyone else, to be honest I think that it's perfectly fine. They're doing what they want with their life, and it's not affecting anyone else.

Now as far as going out in front of a resturant, where EVERYONE is walking past, having to breathe your smoke? No, that's taking it a bit much, reguardless if it's away from everyone inside, everyone trying to get inside is still having to deal with it. So you might as well just go stand in some line, taking puffs and blowing it at everyone else in said line.

I like stir fry

Protoguy.png

protoguy.png

I can't say that I agree that it should be banned, however, there is always a good side to limits.

If people only smoked in certian areas, not bothering anyone else, to be honest I think that it's perfectly fine. They're doing what they want with their life, and it's not affecting anyone else.

Now as far as going out in front of a resturant, where EVERYONE is walking past, having to breathe your smoke? No, that's taking it a bit much, reguardless if it's away from everyone inside, everyone trying to get inside is still having to deal with it. So you might as well just go stand in some line, taking puffs and blowing it at everyone else in said line.

Here in Iowa you legally have to be 30 feet away from the entrance of a building to smoke in public. And if the smell continues to reach people at the entrance you're required to move farther away or be fined if police become involved. I don't think this is very well enforced though because where I work there are "No smoking on campus" signs posted all around and I see people smoke on campus with police watching them and doing nothing about it. Hell, an officer was actually talking to some guy once while the guy was smoking in the no smoking area and the office didn't even ask him to put his cigarette out. I do know however that the smoking inside restaurants/bars law is very strictly enforced and there is a bar near where I live that will possibly lose it's liquor license since they never stopped anyone from smoking inside their bar.

Here in Iowa you legally have to be 30 feet away from the entrance of a building to smoke in public. And if the smell continues to reach people at the entrance you're required to move farther away or be fined if police become involved. I don't think this is very well enforced though because where I work there are "No smoking on campus" signs posted all around and I see people smoke on campus with police watching them and doing nothing about it. Hell, an officer was actually talking to some guy once while the guy was smoking in the no smoking area and the office didn't even ask him to put his cigarette out. I do know however that the smoking inside restaurants/bars law is very strictly enforced and there is a bar near where I live that will possibly lose it's liquor license since they never stopped anyone from smoking inside their bar.

Haha well, I'm living in Texas. There's places even here in Houston where you can legally drink booze in public.

I like stir fry

Protoguy.png

protoguy.png

Huh, "limited democracy"? So only the ones that fight the bugs get citizenship? Someone's been watching too many(awesome) movies.

I realy don't know what you're talking about, or what you mean by "bugs".

Its a reference to the film Starship Troopers

As for the smell, those complaining are really going to have to get over yourselves, its one thing to complain about the health problems, even secondary smoking for which the evidence has been completely overblown (I'm not implying it isnt true that second hand smoke does increase your likelyhood of cancer, but the studies were specifically only about people in confined spaces with smokers).

However implying that the smell is anything other than the tiniest of irritations is great egotism.

As for the smell, those complaining are really going to have to get over yourselves, its one thing to complain about the health problems, even secondary smoking for which the evidence has been completely overblown (I'm not implying it isnt true that second hand smoke does increase your likelyhood of cancer, but the studies were specifically only about people in confined spaces with smokers).

However implying that the smell is anything other than the tiniest of irritations is great egotism.

You either smoke, have never known a chain smoker, or are constantly around chain smokers if you think that intrusive stale smoke smell is only a tiny irritation. And thank you, I love my ego too; I recently got it a hat.

You either smoke, have never known a chain smoker, or are constantly around chain smokers if you think that intrusive stale smoke smell is only a tiny irritation. And thank you, I love my ego too; I recently got it a hat.

Considering the majority of people are not spending most of their time with chain smokers, I do have to agree with Shin. And I'll bring up my argument from before. If we ban cigarettes based on smell I want cars that smell bad and factories banned as well because I hate driving behind someone who's car smells like it's going to kill me or driving past a factory and wondering what they're killing inside. In the same sense, I only have to deal with these smells in short periods of time as most people have to deal with smokers who smell to the point of it being irritating.

Also, what size of hat does your ego wear? I'm thinking of getting it a hat for Christmas :-k

Considering the majority of people are not spending most of their time with chain smokers, I do have to agree with Shin. And I'll bring up my argument from before. If we ban cigarettes based on smell I want cars that smell bad and factories banned as well because I hate driving behind someone who's car smells like it's going to kill me or driving past a factory and wondering what they're killing inside. In the same sense, I only have to deal with these smells in short periods of time as most people have to deal with smokers who smell to the point of it being irritating.

Also, what size of hat does your ego wear? I'm thinking of getting it a hat for Christmas :-k

Oh, I was just point out that the smell is quite bad, not that it should be banned because of it. Sorry, I was just commenting not arguing or really making a point.

Extra large. And don't get it a cowboy hat either; it already has one, and if we had a repeat incident like last Christmas, I think it might leave me. :(

Oh, I was just point out that the smell is quite bad, not that it should be banned because of it. Sorry, I was just commenting not arguing or really making a point.

OK Sure not a problem, it gets a bit confusing in here, yeah sure the smell isnt one of the nicest to non smokers, I just thought it was worth saying that thats not really a basis for judging it harshly.

My ego wears a beret.He's a war vet,he fought for RoomService Hill in Hotel Company during the Vietnam war,see.

He also wears boots 3 sizes bigger than mine.They were made for walking.

Our egos should meet some day.

devilgod.jpeg

so i herd u liek devarts?

If you look at me and feel offended by my 666-ism,think.I could be just as offended by your "cross".

[hide=This's why I'm hot]

The Eleventh Commandment:Thou Shalst only say "Amen,brother".

Amen, brother :lol:

Amen, brudda (referring to the 10th commandment)

amen Bruder! (german ftw)

I'm invulnerable to everything, except Lenin and Dragoonson.

That's impossible.

I love people.[/hide]