Lookin' for a new computer.

Quinton595

Hey Tip.it, winter's coming, and along with it is Christmas.

Im looking for a new computer.. but i don't really know where to start..

Im looking for a computer with...

-Min 250gb hard drive, 500g would be nice.

-Nvida 9300 .. something series video card.

-A fast Processing speed.

-2-3gb of RAM

-It should look cool.

-A monitor is not needed.

-I would prefer XP but Vista is ok...

Some people told me to add this stuff in:

-Its for Gaming/surfing

-700-900$ budget (hope this is reasonable for what i want)

-I'm in Ontario

-Ready-made

-I want it to be able to burn DVD's, so i can make movies.

If anyone could post link, or picture or stuff for computer's like these, i would really appreciate it. I'm also trying to find them myself on some computer sites.

Thanks

~Quinton595

TipitSiggy-1.jpg

Budget, purpose of the computer (document writing/surfing/gaming), where do you live and do you want a ready-made computer or put it together yourself?

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

Budget, purpose of the computer (document writing/surfing/gaming), where do you live and do you want a ready-made computer or put it together yourself?

Looks to me like he wants it for gaming, i'm not 100% sure though.

BR BR BR? HUEHUEHEUEHUE

Is customer support a big thing for you (such as buying from Dell, HP, Gateway?) Are you looking for something that'll play 3D games? Budget PC? Already built or are you up to building it yourself? Does expansion and the ability to upgrade matter much?

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/computer_can_series.do?storeName=computer_store&category=desktops&a1=Category&v1=Versatile+performance&series_name=a6660z_series

Vista Home Prem 64-bit

AMD Phenom 8550 triple-core processor (2.2GHz)

4GB DDR2-800MHz dual channel SDRAM (4x1024) from 2GB

128MB NVIDIA GeForce 9300, DVI-I, VGA/(+$20)256MB NVIDIA GeForce 9300, DVI-I, VGA adapter,HDMI

320GB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive

LightScribe 16X max. DVD+/-R/RW SuperMulti drive

$619.99

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/computer_can_series.do?storeName=computer_store&category=desktops&a1=Category&v1=Versatile+performance&series_name=a6660t_seriesGenuine Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1 (64-bit)

Intel® Core 2 Duo processor E4700 (2.6GHz)

FREE UPGRADE! To 3GB DDR2-800MHz SDRAM (1x2048,1x1024) from 2GB

SAVE $20! 256MB NVIDIA GeForce 9300, DVI-I, VGA adapter, HDMI

FREE UPGRADE to 500GB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive from 320GB

LightScribe 16X max. DVD+/-R/RW SuperMulti drive

$579.99

Or, if you're looking for a decently priced computer with a quad core:

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=dddoob1&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&kc=features~desktops_great_deals

It used an ATI Radeon HD 3450 256MB supporting HDMI, instead though. But it has a pretty sleek case, and actually functional, with the built in USB tray at the top.

hopesolopatriot.jpg

Whoa Laura, Thanks for all the effort.

Those are some nice computers, but I'm looking for something.. better. I'm hoping to not have to buy a new computer after this until I'm done .. like university.

I put up a budget there.. so i can spend another 200-300$ from the ones you suggested.

But thanks though, i really appreciate it guys!

TipitSiggy-1.jpg

THIS machine fits in your budget.

Intel Core 2 Duo E7300 2.66GHz, 2GB DDR2, 250GB SATA II HDD, DVDRW Dual Layer, NVIDIA GeForce 9800GT, Windows XP Professional

:) Capable of playing "Crysis warhead" @ 30fps on all highs easy, and $700.

Hey Nadril, that's a good computer.. but the low hard drive space kinda put me off... Is there any way i could up that?

PS. How hard is that game for a normal computer anyways? lol

Crysis warhead is currently one of the most demanding games out there on the market, it brings most computers to their knees. (The PC's that laura posted wouldn't even be able to run it).

As far as a hard drive goes man, Just spend $100 on a 1TB drive and put it in yourself.

Hey Nadril, that's a good computer.. but the low hard drive space kinda put me off... Is there any way i could up that?

Crysis warhead is currently one of the most demanding games out there on the market, it brings most computers to their knees. (The PC's that laura posted wouldn't even be able to run it).

As far as a hard drive goes man, Just spend $100 on a 1TB drive and put it in yourself.

Is it largely because of the GPU? Just wondering. I knew knew it was intensive, but not to that magnitude. :o

And yeah, those weren't geared towards gaming anyways.

hopesolopatriot.jpg

WHOA. SO then then the comp that can play it with ease it a great gaming comp then? But then why was it so cheap? Is it crappy for everything else?

TipitSiggy-1.jpg

It's a great overall computer. Part's are quite cheap these days too, it's an overall good deal. :)

Argh.. you almost got me sold dude.. but is it still a normal computer? I need to know if there's all the normal applications. Microsoft word ans stuff.. and BTW< is it XP or Vista?

TipitSiggy-1.jpg

Argh.. you almost got me sold dude.. but is it still a normal computer? I need to know if there's all the normal applications. Microsoft word ans stuff.. and BTW< is it XP or Vista?

It's Windows XP Professional.

Which means it does include all the Microsoft stuff, though not sure if it'll be the 2007 Microsoft Bundle, or not.

Even if it doesn't, OpenOffice is your best friend, free, and works similar to the Microsoft Bundle.

Still, that computer is only going to get you 30 FPS on Crysis. Two-Four years from now, I can see Crysis either getting upgraded further so that it is still a 'FPS Tester', or newer games are putting Crysis to shame with the enhancement of gfx cards, CPU's...etc. That is the bare minimum though, so expect it to be out-dated within that 2-4 years from now. It'll still work, but I don't know if you'll want to play Crysis for the next 10 years only, and not get into any other games that demand more RAM, Video Memory, and higher CPU processing speeds (it will happen).

It's kind of 'dumb' in a sense to just buy something that will barely play Crysis on 'good' settings.

Like Vista 64bit, or waiting until what Windows 7 brings to the table would be a good idea. My main point is you're buying out-dated technology that will play a game that has been the 'ultimate frames per second' game and is starting to fall down in terms of difficulty of achieving good FPS, and with the new technologies out this year, and the next year, Crysis won't be a game that is hard to get 80FPS with on high settings, soon, and even 50FPS at an affordable price.

I don't know, it'll probably do you good, but expect to be looking for another one soon if you plan on playing anything more in the coming years, as quad core technology gets integrated, or used more maturely in games (or just look at the i7s), and dual core dwindles away.

A lot will change in 4-5 years, and I don't know what you're going to Uni for, but that's about the time span most spend at uni anyways.

It is a good computer right now, but look into the future.

I'm not saying to spend like $2000 or anything, but spending say $500 more on top of $700 will allow you to keep the laptop and keep up with developing technology/games for a longer period of time, and will probably save you money.

I don't know, it's just something to think about, not meaning to scare you from buying it, as it is a good computer for $700, but thats for the standards that are right now, and not the standards that will develop in April 09, or August 09, or August 010.

I don't know, perhaps it's just the nagging of buying something that is designed to play a game, specifically, and might perform well in other tasks, but things were probably ignored in the process of the development of it, but I just had to say this.

[hide=quotes]

It's Windows XP Professional.

Which means it does include all the Microsoft stuff, though not sure if it'll be the 2007 Microsoft Bundle, or not.

Even if it doesn't, OpenOffice is your best friend, free, and works similar to the Microsoft Bundle.

Still, that computer is only going to get you 30 FPS on Crysis. Two-Four years from now, I can see Crysis either getting upgraded further so that it is still a 'FPS Tester', or newer games are putting Crysis to shame with the enhancement of gfx cards, CPU's...etc. That is the bare minimum though, so expect it to be out-dated within that 2-4 years from now. It'll still work, but I don't know if you'll want to play Crysis for the next 10 years only, and not get into any other games that demand more RAM, Video Memory, and higher CPU processing speeds (it will happen).

It's kind of 'dumb' in a sense to just buy something that will barely play Crysis on 'good' settings.

Like Vista 64bit, or waiting until what Windows 7 brings to the table would be a good idea. My main point is you're buying out-dated technology that will play a game that has been the 'ultimate frames per second' game and is starting to fall down in terms of difficulty of achieving good FPS, and with the new technologies out this year, and the next year, Crysis won't be a game that is hard to get 80FPS with on high settings, soon, and even 50FPS at an affordable price.

I don't know, it'll probably do you good, but expect to be looking for another one soon if you plan on playing anything more in the coming years, as quad core technology gets integrated, or used more maturely in games (or just look at the i7s), and dual core dwindles away.

A lot will change in 4-5 years, and I don't know what you're going to Uni for, but that's about the time span most spend at uni anyways.

It is a good computer right now, but look into the future.

I'm not saying to spend like $2000 or anything, but spending say $500 more on top of $700 will allow you to keep the laptop and keep up with developing technology/games for a longer period of time, and will probably save you money.

I don't know, it's just something to think about, not meaning to scare you from buying it, as it is a good computer for $700, but thats for the standards that are right now, and not the standards that will develop in April 09, or August 09, or August 010.

I don't know, perhaps it's just the nagging of buying something that is designed to play a game, specifically, and might perform well in other tasks, but things were probably ignored in the process of the development of it, but I just had to say this.

[/hide]

It was Nadril that brought up Crysis, and i guess, to show what the computer is capable of running.

DX11 which comes next year will be able to run on 9/10 cards, but alot of new things in it will require an upgrade in the hardware (DX11 comes to Vista/7), so i don't see why this computer would be bad. Just change the gpu when it is released.

The cpu in that computer is easily overclocked to 3ghz, and in that case (and in most) the gpu is the bottleneck.

I mean, look at the people that bought a C2 and 8800gtx in 06, it still performs really well, and no need for such a system to be upgraded until next year if you feel it's not enough (which would be a system that been there for about 2&½ years).

I do think this computer is extremly price-worthy.

I mean, look at the people that bought a C2 and 8800gtx in 06, it still performs really well, and no need for such a system to be upgraded until next year if you feel it's not enough (which would be a system that been there for about 2&½ years).

I do think this computer is extremly price-worthy.

I agree, it's well worth the price, but this guy is wanting it for his university duration. I don't know if he'll want to play games, or have money to play games, or what in Uni he'll be doing on it. If its just essays and such, then Nadril was correct in the terabyte HDD, or less too. But if he wants to game on the side, and uni is 5, 7, or 10 years, then this comp isn't going to stand very tall then, and he'll be looking for another one.

That's just what I'm on about, but it is priced extremely well though. Which is a good reason to buy, but who knows.

Whoa Skate.. thanks for the effort, lol

Just to clear things up.. i don't even play Crysis, nor do i expect to.. I actually hate viloten games, as well as FPS games, i was just asking if it could play it, to get a good sense of the computers capabilities.

I've set my mind on this computer.. as it's pretty much the only thing i can afford. and even that il have to work extra just to get the cash for it...

and I'm fine with outdated technology... this computer I'm typing this on is from like 2003.. and it can play most of TODAY's games fairly well....

Well thanks Nadril and Skate.. i think ill go with that one.. unless someone comes otu with a supercomputer for 50 bucks, ;) .

TipitSiggy-1.jpg

Just to clear things up.. i don't even play Crysis, nor do i expect to.. I actually hate viloten games, as well as FPS games, i was just asking if it could play it, to get a good sense of the computers capabilities.

I've set my mind on this computer.. as it's pretty much the only thing i can afford. and even that il have to work extra just to get the cash for it...

and I'm fine with outdated technology... this computer I'm typing this on is from like 2003.. and it can play most of TODAY's games fairly well....

Well thanks Nadril and Skate.. i think ill go with that one.. unless someone comes otu with a supercomputer for 50 bucks, ;) .

You do know Windows XP won't be supported by Microsoft in 2009, correct? It's just something to consider.

hopesolopatriot.jpg

Yeah but he can just get windows 7 then.

Don't know if they've stated it yet or not, but there will probably be a discount on upgrading Xp To W7, even if they don't have Vista. Just seems logical.

So probably nothing to really worry about.

And even then, how Microsoft is heading, Windows 7 won't be that big of a deal compared to their new direction with the web and not with programs on the desktop.

So he won't miss out on anything, unless the entire architecture is changed, which we've been told that it isn't, and I for one hope it's not a marketing ploy to throw us all off and be like 'omg micrsoft pwns1!@!@!11 - can run the darn o/s with only 200mb of RaM!@1'.

I kinda chuckled. :wall:

Keywords to Google:

Red Dog

Live Mesh

or get hints from this article:

http://www.wired.com/techbiz/people/mag ... 2/ff_ozzie

And researched the stuff they talk about in there for a perspective.

You do know Windows XP won't be supported by Microsoft in 2009, correct? It's just something to consider.

OH snap.. forgot that.. guess that's another 100$ down the drain for the vista :?

TipitSiggy-1.jpg

OH snap.. forgot that.. guess that's another 100$ down the drain for the vista :?

No need for you to get Vista, as you get XP with this. Just get Win7 when it comes out in about a year.