Price manipulation is it legal?

Master_Smither

After a debate in a clan chat about if it is legal or not I decide to make this thread.

Sure it's not in the KB but it is mentioned on the forums acouple times and I have picture and QFC. Discuss whether it is justified by Forum Mods because sure they might not be right 24/7 but there is a uniform template that they were using so it must be right?

Quick find code: 93-94-538-57905091

Purposefully trying to change the value of items is not allowed.

* Pretending to buy or sell when you have no intention of doing either. Pretending to sell to another player to raise/lower the price

* Telling others to raise or lower the price of an item. 'OMG noob item blah is worth so much more. Sell for this price'.

* Openly telling everyone to raise/lower a price. 'Listen here whip owners, we're going to push the price up to 10 mil join me!'.

* Saying an item is rare when it is not to increase the price.

* Ganging up with other players to raise/lower a price by filling the forum with threads buying/selling for that price.

All of these are price manipulations and are unfair. By using these tactics you are scamming and you will be banned.

You are welcome to sell your items at whatever price you choose, but remember, choosing a high price for an item does not make the item worth that value. The chances are, you will still have the item and push the buyers to another seller who has chosen a more modest price.

If you are unhappy with the price of an item, wait and buy it or sell it when the market is more to your liking.

This was locked for Price Manipulating. It was also locked for naming another players Clan chat. Said player has all ready had several threads locked for this type of thread. I strongly suggest people stop making these type of threads because you are risking a Forum Ban.

Thank you.

Quick find code: 39-40-886-58000187

Purposefully trying to change the value of items is not allowed.

* Pretending to buy or sell when you have no intention of doing either. Pretending to sell to another player to raise/lower the price

* Telling others to raise or lower the price of an item. 'OMG noob item blah is worth so much more. Sell for this price'.

* Openly telling everyone to raise/lower a price. 'Listen here whip owners, we're going to push the price up to 10 mil join me!'.

* Saying an item is rare when it is not to increase the price.

* Ganging up with other players to raise/lower a price by filling the forum with threads buying/selling for that price.

* Claiming a deal is 'cheap' or 'good' with the intention of misleading players.

All of these are price manipulations and are unfair. By using these tactics you are scamming and you will be banned.

You are welcome to sell your items at whatever price you choose, but remember, choosing a high price for an item does not make the item worth that value. The chances are, you will still have the item and push the buyers to another seller who has chosen a more modest price.

If you are unhappy with the price of an item, wait and buy it or sell it when the market is more to your liking. Please read the Code of Conduct and Forum Specific rules before continuing to post.

Thanks,

~The Jade Hunter~

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

Well to simply answer your question, it depends on the extent of the manipulation. There's no reason why you should do any of the above, they are CLEARLY breaking the rules.

I see no real reason for discussion, we all know that we can buy and sell how we please, manipulation isn't the easiest thing to do, and usually doesn't work.

"Telling others to raise or lower the price of an item. 'OMG noob item blah is worth so much more. Sell for this price'."

The above is an example of price manipulation, however this is limited too. Items cannot be sold for much more/less due to the trade limits, and there is a value bar across the bottom, sorry Rsw I don't really see an issue here :-#

When Jagex made the GE they said price manipulation was against the rules. They also said that the only time they would directly interfere with prices was (a) to fix borken ones or (B) to fix price manipulation.

When Jagex made the GE they said price manipulation was against the rules. They also said that the only time they would directly interfere with prices was (a) to fix borken ones or (B) to fix price manipulation.

They still don't. The G/E is driven by market forces, supply and demand being the main factors. :|

Many merchants or "investors" often convince others to buy a certain item in large quantities so they can sell their own or force it to change prices to their liking. Thus the merchants make a profit while those unfortunate players loose a lot of money.

Jagex defines item scamming as misleading others for personal benefit. So yes, it is against the rules.

This is just like when they debated whether or not luring was against the rules. Lurers said if a player was dumb enough to get lured then it's their own fault, I'm more than sure many merchanters will use the same argument. They can bs all they want, it will not change the fact that it is against the rules.

Even if it wasn't against the rules (which it is) it is immoral. And if you think you need to try and manipulate others just so you can get richer in a computer game then that's sad, very sad indeed.

POG3.jpg

Pretty much what Dragon said.

Thread terminated.

I guess that means I'm the thread Terminator?

No Tip.Iters were harmed in the making of this post.

well it is now. before you couldnt just get a group of players and go "lets all make Santa hats 40m now!" it had to slowly rise from random community members

now we have players breaking the price limit of 2.1b and buying rares to keep the amount of money they have and not be limited. those guys can simply gather in a clan chat (as some of us would know who) and go "oaky, lets buy out all the santa's then dump them!" (followed by random evil laughs)

Popoto.~<3

If you buy loads of an item and don't sell til later = not price manipulation

If you pretend/junk trade = price manipulation

If you buy loads of an item and don't sell til later = rich buyer buys the market

If you buy loads of an item and don't sell til later = not price manipulation

If you pretend/junk trade = price manipulation

If you buy loads of an item and don't sell til later = rich buyer buys the market

A select group of players buying out an item without the intent of using said item and simply waiting for it to rise in price is in fact price manipulation. Also, how is junk trading price manipulation?

Edit - I guess I should say forcing the price to rise versus waiting for it to rise to distinguish between merchants and price manipulators.

May the presents of our lord and savior, Santa, be with you this holiday season!

First annual Clausmas - 2009 December 25

Meh, until Jagex do something real about manipulation I will still continue to do it with my clan. We make great profit with little to no loss. It's just another way of making money.

That quote is to do with the RuneScape forums. On their, you're not allowed to say stuff like "Selling whips 1M each" to try and get the price to go down as done previously. If we're buying as a clan none of it is said in RuneScape. Thus making it hard for Jagex if they do decide to act upon it.

RIP Michaelangelopolous

Meh, until Jagex do something real about manipulation I will still continue to do it with my clan. We make great profit with little to no loss. It's just another way of making money.

That quote is to do with the RuneScape forums. On their, you're not allowed to say stuff like "Selling whips 1M each" to try and get the price to go down as done previously. If we're buying as a clan none of it is said in RuneScape. Thus making it hard for Jagex if they do decide to act upon it.

1) You're not allowed to say stuff like "Selling whips 1M each" if you AREN'T selling whips for 1M each. That's always been against the rules.

2) If you're trying to hide what you're doing then you're basically admitting it's against the rules, and you already said you're basically doing it until someone gets caught.

Otherwise, great logic. -.-

May the presents of our lord and savior, Santa, be with you this holiday season!

First annual Clausmas - 2009 December 25

1) You're not allowed to say stuff like "Selling whips 1M each" if you AREN'T selling whips for 1M each. That's always been against the rules.

2) If you're trying to hide what you're doing then you're basically admitting it's against the rules, and you already said you're basically doing it until someone gets caught.

Otherwise, great logic. -.-

I mean if Jagex actually do decide to act upon Manipulating which they say isn't to happen, they probably won't catch anyone. Unless they put further restrictions on items that are on the Grand Exchange. I will continue to manipulate items with my clan until we're told we will be banned or our methods are removed.

Also, I'm not trying to hide what I'm doing. We're basec on SwiftIRC. That's where our 550 members are, not RuneScape. If we decide to buy out an item, the clan does it there and then, 99% of the members aren't friendly with the others in-game so not a word is spoken, unless of course they are friends. But nothing will be said in public, that's for sure.

RIP Michaelangelopolous