Joe Satriani accuses Coldplay of plagerism

buloo

I like the way Coldplay are denying it.

I seem to remember Vanilla Ice denying he ripped off Queen's - Under Pressure back in the 90's...

I still think he stole it. It's just way similar.

As for Satriani, the case in his pocket.

~Retired 10/17/07~

finalslayerhz3.png

Zombies__eat_flesh__by_DJCandiDout.jpg

"One of the great things about books is sometimes there are some fantastic pictures." - George W. Bush

I seem to remember Vanilla Ice denying he ripped off Queen's - Under Pressure back in the 90's...

I love the way he denied it in an interview.

"No you see, Queen's version goes like dundundun-dundundun-dun, whereas mine goes dundundun-dundundun-dun"

Oh Robert Matthew Van Winkle, you silly card!

2009rb9.jpg

I love the way he denied it in an interview.

"No you see, Queen's version goes like dundundun-dundundun-dun, whereas mine goes dundundun-dundundun-dun"

Oh Robert Matthew Van Winkle, you silly card!

Only one eighth note pick-up note is the line between originality and plagiarism!

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

Yes I'm a Coldplay fan, so I'm probably going to be a little biased but seeing how all, if not most of you, in here hate Coldplay I think its fair I even it out. Now that that's out of the way...

I do admit that they sound almost exactly alike. The only reasons I have for thinking that it was a coincidence are as follows:

1). You didn't even post what Coldplay stated on they're site.

"With the greatest possible respect to Joe Satriani, we have now unfortunately found it necessary to respond publicly to his allegations. If there are any similarities between our two pieces of music, they are entirely coincidental, and just as surprising to us as to him. Joe Satriani is a great musician, but he did not write or have any influence on the song Viva La Vida. We respectfully ask him to accept our assurances of this and wish him well with all future endeavours. Coldplay."

You can find that on they're main site Here.

2). Coldplay doesn't really pay attention to the music world around them. I bet most of you didn't know that when Coldplay created the album, and the song, Viva la Vida, they didn't even know that Ricky Martin had a very popular song with the same name. That's why the album was later changed to "Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends".

3). I think something is a little strange because Joe didn't sue Coldplay until after it was announced that they were nominated for 7 grammys. There is no way Joe could have not know about that song before that. If he truly thought Coldplay stole it he would have sued a long time ago.

In conclusion, they're is no way of telling whether this is true or not, and that's why I'm pretty sure Joe is going to win. Joe has evidence and Coldplay doesn't, but I highly doubt that he is going to get ALL of the royalties like he's suing for. I'm really curious as to how this all is going to play out.

*phew*, now I'm done. :-# Let the attack begin.

prospektssigza4.jpg

Yes I'm a Coldplay fan, so I'm probably going to be a little biased but seeing how all, if not most of you, in here hate Coldplay I think its fair I even it out. Now that that's out of the way...

I do admit that they sound almost exactly alike. The only reasons I have for thinking that it was a coincidence are as follows:

"With the greatest possible respect to Joe Satriani, we have now unfortunately found it necessary to respond publicly to his allegations. If there are any similarities between our two pieces of music, they are entirely coincidental, and just as surprising to us as to him. Joe Satriani is a great musician, but he did not write or have any influence on the song Viva La Vida. We respectfully ask him to accept our assurances of this and wish him well with all future endeavours. Coldplay."

2). Coldplay doesn't really pay attention to the music world around them. I bet most of you didn't know that when Coldplay created the album, and the song, Viva la Vida, they didn't even know that Ricky Martin had a very popular song with the same name. That's why the album was later changed to "Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends".

3). I think something is a little strange because Joe didn't sue Coldplay until after it was announced that they were nominated for 7 grammys. There is no way Joe could have not know about that song before that. If he truly thought Coldplay stole it he would have sued a long time ago.

In conclusion, they're is no way of telling whether this is true or not, and that's why I'm pretty sure Joe is going to win. Joe has evidence and Coldplay doesn't, but I highly doubt that he is going to get ALL of the royalties like he's suing for. I'm really curious as to how this all is going to play out.

You know most people think Coldplay are rubbish yeah? Joe Satriani is probably one of them, as are all of his friends, and management company. Therefore unless he listens to modern radio shows (which seeing his style of music is very unlikely) he wouldn't have heard it.

Couple that with that fact that most Coldplay fans have never heard of Joe Satriani before and you don't have much room for crossover until one of the songs get serious mainstream attention.

I like Joe Satriani, but I'd not heard this song before this whole thing kicked off.

It's like Jay Z covering Perry Como. Neither Perry Como's fans or Jay Z's fans are going to know the complete works of the other one.

cat_sabbath.png

Trust the Gene Genie!

You know most people think Coldplay are rubbish yeah? Joe Satriani is probably one of them, as are all of his friends, and management company. Therefore unless he listens to modern radio shows (which seeing his style of music is very unlikely) he wouldn't have heard it.

That doesn't really make sense. Viva la Vida was at the top of the charts for a long time and was played for a long time. There is no way Joe, and all his friends, and all his agents couldn't have heard the song and said, "hey that sounds familiar .."

Couple that with that fact that most Coldplay fans have never heard of Joe Satriani before and you don't have much room for crossover until one of the songs get serious mainstream attention.

I like Joe Satriani, but I'd not heard this song before this whole thing kicked off.

It's like Jay Z covering Perry Como. Neither Perry Como's fans or Jay Z's fans are going to know the complete works of the other one.

Ok... I'm not really sure of you point here... :?

prospektssigza4.jpg

Jay-Z does have a sample of Paul Anka's "I did it my Way" on one of his albums so that's not the best example to use.

wild_bunch.gif

He who learns must suffer, and, even in our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart,

and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.

- Aeschylus (525 BC - 456 BC)

• 2 weeks later...

Supposed ignorance doesn't mean that it's not plagiarism in this country. Not that I think it is coincidence.

mssigqc5.jpgI do English to Japanese and Japanese to English translation for free! Just keep it under 5 sentences, and PM me to use my fluency in Japanese to your advantage!