Think.

archangel

Ten thousand years from now where will mankind be? What if mankind was conquered by an alien civilization, or mankind had to move to another planet somewhere light years away? Those beings will ask, "What was life like 10,000 years ago?" Here we are, with the forgotten answer. Our actions would have been forgotten, yet here we stand. Time is the most puzzling thing of all. Infact, perhaps time is life for both are puzzles. Immortality is unreal, sainthood collapses. The blood of martyrs dry, the ink of the scholars fade. Memories die when the last person in them dies. It's saddening to realize our deeds and feats will be forgotten, but atleast it is certain that were alive and did actions and spoke words. Do not good deeds for heaven, do not great things to be remembered beyond your death. Do them because it is right, do them for yourself. We are all nothing more than specks in an ever-growing universe, of race nothing more than a second to it. We are who we are, we do what we do because it is within our abilities. If it too troubling for you to accept, go on and live in a ignorance, it is your life. All I ask is to try and open your eyes and see reality. In the end, no one cares about celebrities, no one cares what you wore to your prom. In the end, all that matter is if you were happy with who you were.

I do not write to better my writing and orator skills, but I write this to ask you to think about yourself and the world around you.

• 3 weeks later...

10,000 years isn't much. I don't see why we would leave earth in 10,000 years. We'll colonize other planets, sure, but we'll be the same people, we won't even evolve much. If you want to ask a theoretical question like that, try 1,000,000 years at least.

Given our rate of social change and technological advancement, it is arrogant to presume that we can even begin to fathom what a hundred years ahead would be like, let alone a hundred times that. Do you believe that Cicero, Da Vinci or even Churchill would have been able to envision the world as it is today?

But regardless of how much we forget about the past, we always remember the great works and atrocities of history. I have no doubt that in two or three hundred years, mathematicians will still know Pythagoras' name, nor in a thousand will we forget Hitler.

10,000 years isn't much. I don't see why we would leave earth in 10,000 years. We'll colonize other planets, sure, but we'll be the same people, we won't even evolve much. If you want to ask a theoretical question like that, try 1,000,000 years at least.

not true. In 10,000 years we will be very different. Probably unrecognizable besides physical appearances. That is, assuming that we last another 10,000 years.

• 1 month later...

I like this. I often think about things like this, it makes me do more in life. The fact that time does not stop gets me all the time, makes me do things I normally would not do ( which is a good thing)

99 Hunter - November 1st, 2008

99 Cooking -July 22nd, 2009

99 Firemaking - July 29th, 2010

99 Fletching - December 30th, 2010