Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Buying a new computer.. tell me what you think!

• Please log in to reply
170 replies to this topic

OldJoe
[ Display Name History ]

OldJoe

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,922 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Joedeby
Yes, HD4850 is much better than 9800GT (which is basically 8800gt which was launched 14 months ago).

It depends on how much you are gaming, 4850 and 9800gtx perform the same, but 9800gtx is usually higher priced.

I understand getting a high clocked dual core for gaming, but if you are gonna use it as a all-around computer, a quad is much better. It all depends on the programmers (and they are going to have to program for several cores as the number of cores and threads will rise).

Check a hardware site for a review on 4850.

ATI's next serie is gonna be HD5xxx and Nvidia (with their naming cirkus) will launch their cards with GT1/2/3xx. New serie, higher numbers. But you can't just look on a number from ATI and Nvidia and the one that has the highest number would be the best. Read reviews!

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies
Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie
Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens
Je suis juste un cas désespérant
Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer
Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

Quinton595
[ Display Name History ]

Quinton595

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 563 posts

Yes, HD4850 is much better than 9800GT (which is basically 8800gt which was launched 14 months ago).

It depends on how much you are gaming, 4850 and 9800gtx perform the same, but 9800gtx is usually higher priced.

I understand getting a high clocked dual core for gaming, but if you are gonna use it as a all-around computer, a quad is much better. It all depends on the programmers (and they are going to have to program for several cores as the number of cores and threads will rise).

Check a hardware site for a review on 4850.

ATI's next serie is gonna be HD5xxx and Nvidia (with their naming cirkus) will launch their cards with GT1/2/3xx. New serie, higher numbers. But you can't just look on a number from ATI and Nvidia and the one that has the highest number would be the best. Read reviews!

Hm. SO I should go with a quad, and number's aren't everything.. I'm following that much, and you recommend the -insert name here- 4850, over the 9800?
Posted Image

Vansing
[ Display Name History ]

Vansing

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 296 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
  • RSN:Vansing
I have a 4850 and can play most games with max graphics. The only games I've tried that i can't put the graphics up on are Crysis and GTA IV ;)

Nadril
[ Display Name History ]

Nadril

Post Junkie

• Members
  • 23,966 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired

I have a 4850 and can play most games with max graphics. The only games I've tried that i can't put the graphics up on are Crysis and GTA IV ;)

GTA IV being that it's pretty damn poorly optimized on a lot of rigs. I'd be interested to know though what your CPU is if you can't max out Crysis (I can max it out on a 9600GT and get 30FPS. Crysis wars can get 45FPS).

sloter
[ Display Name History ]

sloter

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,072 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None

GTA IV being that it's pretty damn poorly optimized on a lot of rigs. I'd be interested to know though what your CPU is if you can't max out Crysis (I can max it out on a 9600GT and get 30FPS. Crysis wars can get 45FPS).

I was going to buy that game till i found out it was suppose to be intense. People were saying with the max settings it was giving a 260 a run.

Quinton595
[ Display Name History ]

Quinton595

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 563 posts
AHA! THAT's what I was wondering about, the original person who told me to get the Nvida GEforce 9800 said it it could max out the graphics on Crysis Warhead. Is this true?

By the way, on the first post on the main page, Ive listed, and will continually list the pieces that i KNOW im getting, based on your opinions, and one by one, I'll have a list of what im gonna get!
Posted Image

Vansing
[ Display Name History ]

Vansing

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 296 posts

My CPU is an Intel core 2 duo @ 3.16Ghz, that might be it although i haven't tried Crysis in a few months and have updated my drivers since then :-k

I think i had the settings on mid-high and the game lagged at some points, but I can't remember too well.

Edit: Almost forgot, I have Crysis Warhead not the original, not sure if that would make a difference or not as i never tried the first one on my PC.

Quinton595
[ Display Name History ]

Quinton595

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 563 posts
Ok.. Well I'm not even a person who would play Crysis, i was just using it as a stand-point.

Would the 4850 be able to play, with good graphics:

Spore

Halo

WoW

EVE-Online

NOTE: Ok.. i was trying to do SOMETHING myself, and i found this case

http://www.newegg.ca... ... 6811208020

Its Wicked looking, got tons of drive slots, both internal, and external, 3 fans, and lots of space for the wires and the motherboard. Is it good enough to buy? It's also really cheap, which i need.
Posted Image

Vansing
[ Display Name History ]

Vansing

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 296 posts
You could play all of those games with graphics on full, no problem :)

Quinton595
[ Display Name History ]

Quinton595

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 563 posts
Ok.. this is the risky part, cause it's again, the part i want the most for my comp.

Could you give me the Name, and the other info for That card, that we were just talking about?

It will be on the front page, 1st post. Btw, what do you think of the case?
Posted Image

Vansing
[ Display Name History ]

Vansing

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 296 posts
ATI Radeon HD 4850 is the name, what other info is it that you need?

I don't know much about cases and which are good ones to pick so I'm not sure about yours ;)

Quinton595
[ Display Name History ]

Quinton595

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 563 posts
Ok.. just one last detail, which companies are, "very generally speaking" good graphic card

companies?

EDIT: Oh.. one problem.. i went to newegg, and searched that name.. and i got about 20 different card, from different companies, with different features.. but they were all the Ati 4850 thing.. which to get?
Posted Image

Vansing
[ Display Name History ]

Vansing

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 296 posts
I'm not sure about the difference between the companies that make the same card, I guess the most expensive would be best. Also, some of them will have more memory, mine has 512mb but I think it goes up to 1GB for this card. Just go with whatever you can afford, generally it's a good card ;)

Jason321
[ Display Name History ]

Jason321

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 570 posts
  • RSN:Jason321

Ok.. just one last detail, which companies are, "very generally speaking" good graphic card

companies?

EDIT: Oh.. one problem.. i went to newegg, and searched that name.. and i got about 20 different card, from different companies, with different features.. but they were all the Ati 4850 thing.. which to get?

It doesn't really matter which one you get. I personally have an Asus one which has excellent cooling (if you've seen it, it has a massive fan). Personally I'd get one with 512MB of memory as apposed to the 1GB version because there really isn't much difference.

Basically the card differences are that they're overclocked (Higher clock speed), different cooling methods (Dual slot cooling, different fans, etc.) and that's really it. Read the reviews, look at the prices, and just choose one you like.
Avatar by Unoalexi :: Signature by Skull_Emblem
Illumination Graphics :: Click here to download the BeyondGFX resource pack!

Posted Image
Posted Image

Quinton595
[ Display Name History ]

Quinton595

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 563 posts

companies?

It doesn't really matter which one you get. I personally have an Asus one which has excellent cooling (if you've seen it, it has a massive fan). Personally I'd get one with 512MB of memory as apposed to the 1GB version because there really isn't much difference.

Basically the card differences are that they're overclocked (Higher clock speed), different cooling methods (Dual slot cooling, different fans, etc.) and that's really it. Read the reviews, look at the prices, and just choose one you like.

I think this one's yours :lol:

http://www.newegg.ca... ... 6814121272

Here's the ones I've been looking at:

http://www.newegg.ca... ... 6814131125

http://www.newegg.ca... ... 6814102760

http://www.newegg.ca... ... 6814127370

http://www.newegg.ca... ... 6814129112

And Jason's one as well.

Which would you guys recommend?

Now those are all 512mb.. but in some comments, i noticed them saying something about 4870, and it being much better than the 4850, is this true?

EDIT-- I searched the 4970 one.. and the price jumped up as far as $400. So that's out of the question.

Also.. i notice people saying some cards can get quite.. toasty. in excess of 80c is this potentially dangerous to the card? What COULD happen if it overheated? Because the last thing i want to do is spend $200, and have it melt away.. *Quite litterally :lol: *

Jason- how would you rate your card? is it hot? Has it lasted long?
Posted Image

OldJoe
[ Display Name History ]

OldJoe

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,922 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Joedeby
Powercolor.

4870 is the next card after 4850, it all depends on how much you're gaming, what resolution and how much eye-candy you want. Read a review or two about the cards.

ATI designed the cards to run on low fan noise (the stock fan speed is around 30%) so it doesn't sound like a jumbo-jet. They get hot, yes, but they won't break on full load, you can easily fix this by turning the fan speed up in Catalyst or Rivatuner.

If it would die because of you using it properly and you got you warranty period left, you'll get it replaced.

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies
Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie
Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens
Je suis juste un cas désespérant
Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer
Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

Quinton595
[ Display Name History ]

Quinton595

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 563 posts
Ok, il do some more research into the Catalyst thing just for future reference. how hot should a card be under load? and.. what is considered load?

And one more thing, which, out of the 5 cards i listed, would you say is best?
Posted Image

Jason321
[ Display Name History ]

Jason321

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 570 posts

Also.. i notice people saying some cards can get quite.. toasty. in excess of 80c is this potentially dangerous to the card? What COULD happen if it overheated? Because the last thing i want to do is spend $200, and have it melt away.. *Quite litterally :lol: *

The HD48XX series was designed to cope with the hot temperatures the cards produce so as long as you have decent airflow in your case, you shouldn't have a problem. My card runs just fine and I've only had it for a month so I can't really comment on the reliability or durability of the card.

Sorry if you've already stated this, but what size monitor are you using? 22" or lower a HD4850 512Mb will do you fine. Once you get to 24" and above you might want to get a HD4870 or higher. Anyways, I agree with what Joe said and Powercolor are an excellent brand.

Also, keep in mind the release of AMD's new CPU's - they look very promising. PSU looks good, will run everything fine. If you're looking for some headroom consider something like an Antec NeoPower 550W (Modular) or even a 520HX (Modular) They are both built by Seasonic so they are of excellent quality. Case is excellent as well. Good airflow and cooling, nice choice. I'd personally go with a Western Digital hard drive but that's up to you.

RAM is good, Corsair are a good brand. I prefer Pioneer optical drives - they've always been good to me. Could consider an Asus board but that is an excellent Motherboard. I am a Gigabyte man myself but I'm just trying to keep your options open. And to answer your latest question, I can't really say. All of them are good, reliable brands.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Quinton595
[ Display Name History ]

Quinton595

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 563 posts

The HD48XX series was designed to cope with the hot temperatures the cards produce so as long as you have decent airflow in your case, you shouldn't have a problem. My card runs just fine and I've only had it for a month so I can't really comment on the reliability or durability of the card.

Sorry if you've already stated this, but what size monitor are you using? 22" or lower a HD4850 512Mb will do you fine. Once you get to 24" and above you might want to get a HD4870 or higher. Anyways, I agree with what Joe said and Powercolor are an excellent brand.

Also, keep in mind the release of AMD's new CPU's - they look very promising. PSU looks good, will run everything fine. If you're looking for some headroom consider something like an Antec NeoPower 550W (Modular) or even a 520HX (Modular) They are both built by Seasonic so they are of excellent quality. Case is excellent as well. Good airflow and cooling, nice choice. I'd personally go with a Western Digital hard drive but that's up to you.

RAM is good, Corsair are a good brand. I prefer Pioneer optical drives - they've always been good to me. Could consider an Asus board but that is an excellent Motherboard. I am a Gigabyte man myself but I'm just trying to keep your options open. And to answer your latest question, I can't really say. All of them are good, reliable brands.

*whistles*

Wow.. i was watching your name at the bottom of the "who's browsing this forum" section, and by how long your name was there.. i knew you were going to type something informative.

I was right :lol:

So.. let me think of all this stuff.

Screen size:22"

Cooling fans in the CASE alone : 3 = well ventillated

Temperature: not a problem

Card to get: 4850

Card company: 1 vote by you on Powercolor

Power Supply: I like the 520HX

Remaining questions: Is it possible to have a power supply that's too strong for the CPU?
Posted Image

Jason321
[ Display Name History ]

Jason321

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 570 posts
Too powerful for the CPU? You mean too powerful for the whole computer? Well there are cases such as overkill. For example buying a 1000W Power Supply to run a setup like yours when really that Power Supply could handle something far more superior (Tri-SLi for example).

I don't think you can have a Power Supply too powerful for a computer but you might want someone more experienced than me to confirm this. The 520HX is an excellent choice BTW, I don't have it myself but the fact that it's modular and 80%+ efficiency you can tell that it's an awesome Power Supply. It's also one of the most quietest if that effects you.

Posted Image
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users