Buying a new computer.. tell me what you think!

Quinton595

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go for the 1st MSI board.

Mmk, that's what i was leaking towards anyways, as the other one seemed kinda cheap.

Well thanks.. only a few more pieces left.

One question though.. sound.. is there anything for it? or is it just the quality of your speakers?

TipitSiggy-1.jpg

Go for the 1st MSI board.

Mmk, that's what i was leaking towards anyways, as the other one seemed kinda cheap.

Well thanks.. only a few more pieces left.

One question though.. sound.. is there anything for it? or is it just the quality of your speakers?

Sound cards.

But you'll only notice sound cards when you have a really good speaker setup. You might hear more frequencies, but integrated sounds cards have evolved enough to do handle most sounds. You don't need one.

hopesolopatriot.jpg

Unless you're planning on 7.1 sound, or are a sound freak where sound has to be perfect in clarity, than you got no problems with integrated sound devices.

Also if you're not getting a sound card, don't spend over $120 on speakers, as you'll be wasting money for performance you won't ever see.

Sound isn't one of those things that bottleneck, or are very deep in quality anymore. Maybe if you're an audio editor you could use the sound card to an advantage but for gaming/listening to mp3's just being able to hear and turn the volume up/down is more than good enough.

Unless you're planning on 7.1 sound, or are a sound freak where sound has to be perfect in clarity, than you got no problems with integrated sound devices.

Also if you're not getting a sound card, don't spend over $120 on speakers, as you'll be wasting money for performance you won't ever see.

Sound isn't one of those things that bottleneck, or are very deep in quality anymore. Maybe if you're an audio editor you could use the sound card to an advantage but for gaming/listening to mp3's just being able to hear and turn the volume up/down is more than good enough.

Yeah.. that's what i thought. Just wondering if i had to buy one, or if it came with it already.

BTW.. Even to this day.. your avatar still makes me jump :lol:

TipitSiggy-1.jpg

Ok. Quick update here, I've settled for the

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... 6822136073

Hard drive, 70 bucks, over 1100 good reviews.

Now, One piece left, obviously it's the most expensive #-o

Now, quad has been decided on, and the only real difference between my two choices is about 70 bucks, for an extra .2 GHz

What do you guys think?

Again:

2.83GHz -390 dollars

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... 6819115041

2.66Ghz -320 dollars

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... 6819115131

TipitSiggy-1.jpg

Since the motherboard you're getting supports a ton of SATA ports, just get that 500gb one and a 250gb or so one to use for backup and if you go into gaming to have for recording performance increase, and other varying uses like another O/S on the comp if you get computer savvy.

You don't need it, but prices are so cheap and your motherboard is just asking for at least two, lol. I get suckered into hardware asking to be used to what they were made to be used for. =/

But seriously if you don't know what a part is or why it's better or why you should get it over other things, ask. Most of these tech nerds aren't going to bite you for asking, even if you don't get, but as long as you make an effort to learn by using google, wikipedia or whatever to learn. A reason I haven't even been looking at this thread is cause you got like 5 awesome dudes dishing out information for you. If you've stopped understanding what they're saying/suggesting speak up to prevent arguments/people leaving this topic to help you.

Since the motherboard you're getting supports a ton of SATA ports, just get that 500gb one and a 250gb or so one to use for backup and if you go into gaming to have for recording performance increase, and other varying uses like another O/S on the comp if you get computer savvy.

You don't need it, but prices are so cheap and your motherboard is just asking for at least two, lol. I get suckered into hardware asking to be used to what they were made to be used for. =/

But seriously if you don't know what a part is or why it's better or why you should get it over other things, ask. Most of these tech nerds aren't going to bite you for asking, even if you don't get, but as long as you make an effort to learn by using google, wikipedia or whatever to learn. A reason I haven't even been looking at this thread is cause you got like 5 awesome dudes dishing out information for you. If you've stopped understanding what they're saying/suggesting speak up to prevent arguments/people leaving this topic to help you.

Listening to what you just said, i will speak up.

I don't know what you were talking about in the first paragraph :lol:

Was it the hard drive? Because i have a 250gb external hard drive, and for what it's worth, i could use that if i really needed too. If you where talking about something other than hard drives... :anxious:

TipitSiggy-1.jpg

Have you ever had a quad core before? If not, I think a 9400 will be more than enough for you. Hell, a Q6600 would probably be more than enough. And I would recommend the Q6600, overclocks like a breeze and it's got a nice cache.

hopesolopatriot.jpg

Have you ever had a quad core before? If not, I think a 9400 will be more than enough for you. Hell, a Q6600 would probably be more than enough. And I would recommend the Q6600, overclocks like a breeze and it's got a nice cache.

Yeah, this is my first time with quad.. and i get where you're comming from. but don't you think its better to get a fast one now, instead of upgrading again down the road?

TipitSiggy-1.jpg

If you're willing to pay over $300 for a CPU then, fine, get the Q9400. I think it's a waste of money personally and would get a Q6600 but do what you want.

What do the ratings stand for? Quad 6600?

I too was put off by the high cost of the processor.. but I'm still dieing for that 2.83 I just need some extra cash.

PS. Would anyone recommend after i get my comp, to get a better quality Processor fan? Because some of the reviews says it gets hot.

TipitSiggy-1.jpg

I got my parts today :thumbup:

Good luck with yours.

Damn these wires are confusing. :lol:

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

Yeah it's just the name of the processor at all. "Q" are the quad's, and "E" are dual cores.

Don't get a different fan unless you are going to overclock.

Overclocking would consist of doing what? Played a CPU-challenging game? Or something more complex?

Jaerk- Yeah.. I'm only a couple days away from buying them. :thumbup:

TipitSiggy-1.jpg

Yeah it's just the name of the processor at all. "Q" are the quad's, and "E" are dual cores.

Don't get a different fan unless you are going to overclock.

Overclocking would consist of doing what? Played a CPU-challenging game? Or something more complex?

Jaerk- Yeah.. I'm only a couple days away from buying them. :thumbup:

Making a processor run faster than its stock manufacturer reccomended speed, much like adding nitrous into a car engine, may damage it if not done carefully.

eggzs.png

If you're willing to pay over $300 for a CPU then, fine, get the Q9400. I think it's a waste of money personally and would get a Q6600 but do what you want.

I too was put off by the high cost of the processor.. but I'm still dieing for that 2.83 I just need some extra cash.

PS. Would anyone recommend after i get my comp, to get a better quality Processor fan? Because some of the reviews says it gets hot.

You're not going to notice the difference, especially without using a previous quad to it's max. Not to mention the fact that you could easily overclock the Q6600 to like 3.0Ghz on air cooling. I do think it's better to buy now, than upgrade later. But, if that's what you want, you should buying a Core i7.

hopesolopatriot.jpg

You're not going to notice the difference, especially without using a previous quad to it's max. Not to mention the fact that you could easily overclock the Q6600 to like 3.0Ghz on air cooling. I do think it's better to buy now, than upgrade later. But, if that's what you want, you should buying a Core i7.

Completely right. :thumbup: The extra 200 Mhz won't make much difference, and the Q6600 can easily, easily, be overclocked to 3Ghz, while the Q9400 isn't that great for overclocking.

Get the Q6600.

1ekn0o.jpg

Thanks to Uno for the awsome sig <3

[hide=Wall of Quotes]

Completely right. :thumbup: The extra 200 Mhz won't make much difference, and the Q6600 can easily, easily, be overclocked to 3Ghz, while the Q9400 isn't that great for overclocking.

Get the Q6600.

[/hide]

So i looked at the three processors.. And that .4 puts me off. Now you're all saying that its capable of more.

The q6600, starts at 2.4

The q5500 starts at 2.83

And the q9400 starts at 2.66

Now to 2.4 has completely awesome reviews, but it is supposedly slower than the 2.83. However the 2.83 is expensive.. very expensive.

Based on all your experience, what would you guys think that 2.4 would ACTUALLY run at? Without any tempering? Because as someone said, its like adding Nitrous to a car, but it can hurt it if you're not careful. Now i did originally want 2.6GHz Minimum.. but i cant argue with those reviews.

Other than that, I'm really blown away by it. Everything works in a snap at stock settings. I plan to do some light OC'ing and I hear many are able to push it pretty far on just air.

Best bang for the buck. Buy it already. You won't be dissapointed.

The last processor I had was a Pentium Dual core 1.6GHz. I decided that if I was building a new computer, I wanted to go quad performance but still affordable. This processor is astounding. Under 100% load it behaves as if nothing were happening at all, allowing me to perform other tasks while a video renders or a large photoshop filter is applied to a massive image.

None of the other ones have reviews like that.. which is surprising, as you would think they would be faster. Now the advantage of the q6, as I call it, is that with that extra money I've saved, I'll be able to spend it on that nice Modular Corsair PSU, or another Modular one.

In all honesty, I am leaning towards the q6, but I'll still look around before making my final announcement.

Thanks.

TipitSiggy-1.jpg

I understand, you're just like me when it came to wanting the latest and greatest. Fortunately people on these forums, such as Nadril and OldJoe made me realize that I didn't need any of that. They Q6600's stock speed will always be ~2.4Ghz, mind you that's four cores running at that speed. However, if you want the most bang for you buck, you would invest in a decent CPU and rear fan and overclock the processor. Of course, once you get it, I doubt you will. To this day, my Q6600 has never hit 60% of it's usage. If you really just want an extra boost, invest in more memory or a better GPU rather than a slightly faster processor, that's slower under the circumstances of overclocking.

If you really want a faster processor, buy a water cooling system. I've heard people have clocked their Q6600 to over 4.0Ghz.

hopesolopatriot.jpg

I understand, you're just like me when it came to wanting the latest and greatest. Fortunately people on these forums, such as Nadril and OldJoe made me realize that I didn't need any of that. They Q6600's stock speed will always be ~2.4Ghz, mind you that's four cores running at that speed. However, if you want the most bang for you buck, you would invest in a decent CPU and rear fan and overclock the processor. Of course, once you get it, I doubt you will. To this day, my Q6600 has never hit 60% of it's usage. If you really just want an extra boost, invest in more memory or a better GPU rather than a slightly faster processor, that's slower under the circumstances of overclocking.

If you really want a faster processor, buy a water cooling system. I've heard people have clocked their Q6600 to over 4.0Ghz.

Ha! Water cooling. That's awesome. So i get what you're saying about Nadril and Oldjoe and them helping, that's what i love about tip.it <3: I've come to tip it for everything.. from guide making, to problems with my RL fish.

AHEM* Back on track now. I have settled with that q6, and imma use the money i saved to get a better PSU. I'll return when i find some that are modular.

TipitSiggy-1.jpg

Hmm.. weird thing here.. i used Neweggs Power calculator. I filled in what things im getting for my comp, and it calculated that I only need around 377W of power. :|

Either way, sticking with my 500w, Here's some i found that were modular

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Tempo ... hangeQty=0

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... 6817189012

TipitSiggy-1.jpg

Don't trust that calculator...With having graphics card, a quad CPU, possibly two HDD's...you'll need the 400W+ at least, and 500W is being on the safe side.

I own a Q6600 and to be honest it runs everything fine without it being OC'd, and to me there is no difference in performance with it OC'd to 3.2 ghz. Honestly

[hide=More detailed personal review of the Q6600]I am capable of having a ridiculous amount of programs run at startup (like 30 non-important ones and 10 100mb+(RAM) programs), and still have the startup in under a minute and 40 seconds. Before my graphics card I was able to have like a quadzillion tabs in Chrome or FF open, or both, and have one game running, with things like Xfire, music, and at times recording with FRAPS @ max'd settings for FRAPS.

After the video card pretty much everything doubled in terms of what I could use, which is no doubt to the bottlenecking 7350LE. I'm also capable of running two games (Left 4 Dead & CoD:WaW) at the same time with 30-40 FPS at max settings on both at the same time. So that's just awesome with one video card imo, but I do have to turn off a lot of stuff...=P.

But anyways I still feel like I got a lot of room to push things at a non-OC'd CPU.

Q6600 is user-friendly and is a quad core for those that don't like OC'ing. Thw Q6600, according to Extremtech's benchmarks, is also a very price/performance guarantee. You're getting your money worth.

So unless you plan on doing anything more extreme that this, the Q6600 is probably the best choice.[/hide]

The psu you linked looks good to me.

The Power Supply's fine. Though there are better ones. Q6600 is fine, where I live - a lot of stores are starting to discontinue it seeing as it's an older architecture. 65nm instead of the others being 45nm.

Avatar by Unoalexi :: Signature by Skull_Emblem

Illumination Graphics :: Click here to download the BeyondGFX resource pack!

beyondgfx.png

Jason321.png