Buying a new computer.. tell me what you think!

Quinton595

Oh boy. I don't really know where to start :shock: As for the Quads, games are starting to be optimized for Quads so it's probably worth going for a Quad-Core Processor. Of course the Quad will also make your computer last longer so it's also worth it in the factor. If you can afford the Q9550, by all means go for it. If not a Q9400 is fine.

As for Cache, I can't really explain it so I'll let Wikipedia help me ;)

In computer science, a cache is a collection of data duplicating original values stored elsewhere or computed earlier, where the original data is expensive to fetch (owing to longer access time) or to compute, compared to the cost of reading the cache. In other words, a cache is a temporary storage area where frequently accessed data can be stored for rapid access. Once the data is stored in the cache, future use can be made by accessing the cached copy rather than re-fetching or recomputing the original data, so that the average access time is shorter.

Small memories on or close to the CPU chip can be made faster than the much larger main memory. Most CPUs since the 1980s have used one or more caches, and modern general-purpose CPUs inside personal computers may have as many as half a dozen, each specialized to a different part of the task of executing programs.

If you're looking to save money on Ram you could always get Kingston which are an excellent brand which I personally use. Of course Corsair are an excellent brand so it doesn't matter which one you pick. As for Power Supplies I haven't heard of most of the ones in this topic :? But from the reviews they seem pretty good. Also about the numbers in the CPU 9400 & 9550 are just the names (as far as I'm concerned) and LGA775 is the socket. In this case Socket 775 and 95W is just the Thermal Power if you look under the Specs.

Avatar by Unoalexi :: Signature by Skull_Emblem

Illumination Graphics :: Click here to download the BeyondGFX resource pack!

beyondgfx.png

Jason321.png

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh boy. I don't really know where to start :shock: As for the Quads, games are starting to be optimized for Quads so it's probably worth going for a Quad-Core Processor. Of course the Quad will also make your computer last longer so it's also worth it in the factor. If you can afford the Q9550, by all means go for it. If not a Q9400 is fine.

As for Cache, I can't really explain it so I'll let Wikipedia help me ;)

In computer science, a cache is a collection of data duplicating original values stored elsewhere or computed earlier, where the original data is expensive to fetch (owing to longer access time) or to compute, compared to the cost of reading the cache. In other words, a cache is a temporary storage area where frequently accessed data can be stored for rapid access. Once the data is stored in the cache, future use can be made by accessing the cached copy rather than re-fetching or recomputing the original data, so that the average access time is shorter.

Small memories on or close to the CPU chip can be made faster than the much larger main memory. Most CPUs since the 1980s have used one or more caches, and modern general-purpose CPUs inside personal computers may have as many as half a dozen, each specialized to a different part of the task of executing programs.

If you're looking to save money on Ram you could always get Kingston which are an excellent brand which I personally use. Of course Corsair are an excellent brand so it doesn't matter which one you pick. As for Power Supplies I haven't heard of most of the ones in this topic :? But from the reviews they seem pretty good. Also about the numbers in the CPU 9400 & 9550 are just the names (as far as I'm concerned) and LGA775 is the socket. In this case Socket 775 and 95W is just the Thermal Power if you look under the Specs.

=D> good job Wikipedia.

For the memory, I'll use yours, i compared yours and mine for like 5 minutes, the reviews for both were flawless, and the only advantage mine has is a heat dissipation thing for the memory cards, but my computer is cool enough to begin with, so that's not worth 20$ extra.

Woohoo! One more part down!

TipitSiggy-1.jpg

Why doesn't Q66 work for you? Granted it's old, but it costs alot less and is extremely easy to clock.

At those prices, you could get a damn i7 920.

Never heard of that psu brand, and is only 70% certified. Im just gonna say, get a SeaSonic/Corsair/Zalman/FSP or Thermaltake psu, 450-500w with 80+ effeciency and toss a coin.

When it says peripherals, it means molex.

I thought you had a sub 900 budget.

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

Why doesn't Q66 work for you? Granted it's old, but it costs alot less and is extremely easy to clock.

At those prices, you could get a damn i7 920.

Never heard of that psu brand, and is only 70% certified. Im just gonna say, get a SeaSonic/Corsair/Zalman/FSP or Thermaltake psu, 450-500w with 80+ effeciency and toss a coin.

When it says peripherals, it means molex.

I thought you had a sub 900 budget.

ya know.. between you and me, i thought i did too. -.- Looks like I'll just have to pull out a bit more reserves. I got $500 extra cash.. soo.

Now. The PSU's have been costing me a lot of trouble. I can obviously change the one I put on the front page, and i might. However, i want to get one last area started today, and il come back to the PSU's on my own time. Hope no one minds.

Now.

Hard Drives.

Looking for only around 500gb, i don't need anything more.

Here's some i picked out. Although the fact that some of them were rated by only a few people unnerves me.

Western Digital Caviar: Rated by over 1500 people, Average rating is 4/5, 500GB @ 3Gb/s, 16mb Cache (Thanks to jason and Wikipedia :thumbup: ) $79.49

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... 6822136073

Western Digital Caviar: All the same specs as the one aforementioned, which is kinda weird. $73.49

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... 6822136149

The One I like the Most

Seagate Barracuda 7200: 500Gb @ 3Gb/s, 32mb cache (Over twice as much as the Western Digital ones) 5 year part and labor warranty, FREE SHIPPING, $81.49

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... 6822148288

Another Seagate one: Seagate SV35: 500GB @ 3Gb/s, 32mb cache, $97.99

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... 6822148301

My fave is the barracuda. Anyone got any opinions?

TipitSiggy-1.jpg

For the hard drive spend an extra $20 ($99 total) and get a western Digital 1TB. You'll thank yourself in the future.

That and if you going to use 2 hard drives put a 10k or 15k on your boot hard drive. Then but a 1TB 7200 rpm for your second one.

Im just gonna say, get a SeaSonic/Corsair/Zalman/FSP or Thermaltake psu, 450-500w with 80+ effeciency and toss a coin.

+1 for sure :D If you want a little head-room for upgrades grab a Corsair 620HX or an Antec NeoPower 650W. Both are made by Seasonic so they're both of excellent quality. I highly recommend you grab one of those if you can afford it and/or looking for that little bit of extra head-room for upgrades. Even if you're not looking for head-room, you could still grab a Corsair 520HX. All of which, BTW, are modular which is always a plus :thumbsup: Of course they don't have to be modular. You could always get something around 500W which isn't modular. Hell, I run a system similar to yours on This (Came with my case, runs everything fine) ::'

If you going to use 2 hard drives put a 10k or 15k on your boot hard drive. Then but a 1TB 7200 rpm for your second one.

^ If you're looking for speed, do this. VelociRaptor's are still good so consider that as a boot drive if you're looking for speed. I would assume 150GB would be enough for your OS and whatever else you'd wanna chuck on it.

beyondgfx.png

Jason321.png

New Idea!

Ok. As i was laying in my bed yesterday, and starting to fall asleep, i was thinking of this post. (Am i obsessed or what? :-# ) Anyways, I've created a new way to compare the products on tip it, as i was causing you all to do too much work for me.

Here's the first example. Lets start with the PSU (Get the worst one out of the way)

I'll nominate my fave choices, about 4 or so, and Il compare them, Like this:

PSUFinished.jpg

Now as you can see, the Corsair is the best, but it Is the most expensive. Well, Let me know what you guys think!

TipitSiggy-1.jpg

Seems to be a good comparison. As I expected, the Corsair one was the best. When it comes to the price of it, I guess you get what you pay for ::' You could go for a Corsair 450VX which isn't modular but it's still very good. Don't let the 450W scare you. It's quite capable of pumping out a lot more than that very consistently and it could easily run your system :)

Boy I'm advertising Corsair a lot. They should start paying me :P

beyondgfx.png

Jason321.png

Seems to be a good comparison. As I expected, the Corsair one was the best. When it comes to the price of it, I guess you get what you pay for ::' You could go for a Corsair 450VX which isn't modular but it's still very good. Don't let the 450W scare you. It's quite capable of pumping out a lot more than that very consistently and it could easily run your system :)

Boy I'm advertising Corsair a lot. They should start paying me :P

Quick question: What does modular do?

TipitSiggy-1.jpg

There's something called Yahoo and Google lol.

With modular you can choose what cables to use and put away the ones you don't need, a regular power supply you have all the cables and you can't take them off.

Modular are always more expensive, but it saves you space and air-flow.

There's something called Yahoo and Google lol.

With modular you can choose what cables to use and put away the ones you don't need, a regular power supply you have all the cables and you can't take them off.

Modular are always more expensive, but it saves you space and air-flow.

Hehe.. sad part is, i was on google. -.-

Now i Really do like the modular. Before i knew what that meant, i liked the corsiar, because i saw in the pictures that the cords were detachable. Oh well, we can sort out the PSU later. Time for the Hard disks. Making another table as we speak.

TipitSiggy-1.jpg

Jesus Christ, and I thought I planned a lot.

:lol:

That's me.. The worrywart.

So, Now for the Graphic cards: This time i did it on Microsoft paint to save some time.

Now the VisionTek is apparently the best, but again, you get what you pay for, at 219 bucks.

GraphicCards.jpg

TipitSiggy-1.jpg

Seriously.

Choose the one that's the cheapest, just not the one with the reference design.

Quinton, you are really starting to piss people off. People keep trying to suggest things to you and go and do the opposite. That's fine but don't sit here and make a topic that is 4 pages long. Why ask if your doing the opposite? I can tell you have never built a computer before but you seem to think you know it all. If your posting this much about it on TIF you probably don't know to much i could be wrong but this is how it is most of the time. "Buying a new computer.. tell me what you think!" I think you should learn a bit more or take some ADVICE before you start building.

Quinton, you are really starting to piss people off. People keep trying to suggest things to you and go and do the opposite. That's fine but don't sit here and make a topic that is 4 pages long. Why ask if your doing the opposite? I can tell you have never built a computer before but you seem to think you know it all. If your posting this much about it on TIF you probably don't know to much i could be wrong but this is how it is most of the time. "Buying a new computer.. tell me what you think!" I think you should learn a bit more or take some ADVICE before you start building.

Thing is, I don't think i know it all.. quite the opposite really. Im constantly searching words just so i can understand what the item has.

And I take all suggestions into consideration, not just one. I really don't want to [censored] up my first go at building a computer, or il just have wasted like 200 dollars. I need a computer that will last me for YEARS. So i cant just necessarily go with the cheapest, nor with the most expensive.

Im sorry if anyone's getting irritated, (Although that does seem to happen on my posts :? )

But I'm just trying to make the best decision. Two people have recommended the powercolor, but im not just willing to fork out $200; i need more opinions, and research (Which I am doing every day.)

I still have the processor, which i know nothing about, and that's 300 dollars. The motherboard is another 150-200, and the PSU and Graphics card and the hard disk are also expensive.

Again, sorry if anyone's gotten irritated.

TipitSiggy-1.jpg

That's why I stopped helping a while ago. Before this topic he was going to buy a desktop prebuilt FYI. Then he was going to build a dell (because he was worried about the warranty) and now he will build it himself?

Quinton, just get the damn cheapest one. You aren't going to notice a 20Mhz Core clock difference!

That's why I stopped helping a while ago. Before this topic he was going to buy a desktop prebuilt FYI. Then he was going to build a dell (because he was worried about the warranty) and now he will build it himself?

Quinton, just get the damn cheapest one. You aren't going to notice a 20Mhz Core clock difference!

Well, replying to what Nadril said about me not noticing the difference, il go with the powercolor, because it had the most votes, although the ASUS is the same price after rebates.

So let me guess, no more help for the motherboard, hard drive, or processor?

TipitSiggy-1.jpg

- You've already gotten help there ::' Follow Joe's advice. He knows what he's doing.

- Building a computer can be difficult, but doesn't require everything you're doing (just do it already!!)

...And Nadril was right. When you're looking at really similar processors, or other components, just get the cheapest one. You won't recognize a few Mhz in clock speed, or a faster fan, or w/e. As long as the manufacturer is decent and it'll do what it's supposed to, buy it.

You're even starting to piss me off...

1ekn0o.jpg

Thanks to Uno for the awsome sig <3

- You've already gotten help there ::' Follow Joe's advice. He knows what he's doing.

- Building a computer can be difficult, but doesn't require everything you're doing (just do it already!!)

...And Nadril was right. When you're looking at really similar processors, or other components, just get the cheapest one. You won't recognize a few Mhz in clock speed, or a faster fan, or w/e. As long as the manufacturer is decent and it'll do what it's supposed to, buy it.

You're even starting to piss me off...

Ahh yes.. those ones.

PSU: Pass

Case: Pass

Processor: Pass

Hard drive: Looking in to

Graphic card: Already got

Memory: Pass

Motherboard: Not very good comments, im looking into it.

Thanks though, the hard drive seems good!

TipitSiggy-1.jpg

Quick question. How do i know if a Mobo will be compatible with my graphic card? Because some of them say Nvida, but mine is ATI.. or something.

This is the Mobo I'm looking at. It seems to be the one with the most good reviews, and the price is nice.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... 6813188026

I'm almost positive that it doesn't matter as long as they're both the same adapter (ie. PCI)

1ekn0o.jpg

Thanks to Uno for the awsome sig <3

That's a crazy expensive mobo for what you're doing here. For one, you don't need SLI support at all.

Stick to around the $100-$130 range for a motherboard. And as long as it has a PCI-E slot it will be compatable with your video card. (and if it has a socket LGA 775 for the CPU it'll be compatable with your CPU).

That's a crazy expensive mobo for what you're doing here. For one, you don't need SLI support at all.

Stick to around the $100-$130 range for a motherboard. And as long as it has a PCI-E slot it will be compatable with your video card. (and if it has a socket LGA 775 for the CPU it'll be compatable with your CPU).

Ok, these are the ones I was interested in, tell me what you think.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... 6813130185

This one's a bit cheaper than what you suggested.. but it still had good reviews.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... 6813186138

TipitSiggy-1.jpg