Buying a new computer.. tell me what you think!

Quinton595

Hell yeah. I was googling ways to ground myself during the construction, and i keep watching tut videos.

I Am a worrywart.. cause for me, this is a large sum of money, so i wanted it to be perfect, or as close to it as possible. Hopefully, this should accomplish just that. :)

Go to Radio Shack or Bestbuy (or some place similar) and buy an anti-static wrist strap. You can get one for less than $10 and it could save you from frying very expensive components.

And it's a fashion statement :thumbup:

Really though, buying one of those and standing on sheet of metal is overkill. Anyway, the metal wouldn't work unless you're barefoot or wearing really thin socks :P

Standing on a sheet of metal probably wouldn't work anyway. I fail to see how a $10 wrist strap that's going to save components is overkill. 90% of the time you will be fine without a wrist strap if you aren't doing something stupid like building on a carpet. The other 10% you probably will fry something. This is speaking from me who's built 100s of computers so I have seen it happen numerous times. 15volts can fry a motherboard, static electricity could be over 5,000 volts if you can see the spark.

wrist strap = not overkill

anti static mat grounded into a socket for the pc= overkill

Well if you don't get one, atleast hold on to the metal part of the case most of the time and don't move your feet to much to create static.

It's not just volts that fry things. Why do you think those 5000 volts just sting? The current in static shocks is extremely low.

If you:

-Hold metal while installing anything important

-Wear a cotton shirt

-Don't build it on carpet

-Wear shoes

-And try to discharge all static beforehand (with metal, again)

You'll be completely fine.

1ekn0o.jpg

Thanks to Uno for the awsome sig <3

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not just volts that fry things. Why do you think those 5000 volts just sting? The current in static shocks is extremely low.

Yes I know about current/amperage. The amps with static electricity is very low, it is still enough to fry a component. The current or volts doesn't matter anyway, as long as it's over 15volts (doesn't matter the amps) it will kill it because those are only suppose to be operated at 12v max (depending on what it is).

goldenblade995.png

Yes I know about current/amperage. The amps with static electricity is very low, it is still enough to fry a component. The current or volts doesn't matter anyway, as long as it's over 15volts (doesn't matter the amps) it will kill it because those are only suppose to be operated at 12v max (depending on what it is).

What I meant by that was normally the charge isn't even enough to penetrate the casing of the component. It's not like he's opening up his cpu case and touching the chip. But yes, static can most definitely fry stuff

1ekn0o.jpg

Thanks to Uno for the awsome sig <3

Why is it everything i say gets reproduced tens of times on these forums? :lol:

The metal was just an idea.. im still gonna get the wrist strap.

Why is it that this topic is on page 8 and you still can't figure out how to build a computer or figure out the components you want?

Why is it everything i say gets reproduced tens of times on these forums? :lol:

The metal was just an idea.. im still gonna get the wrist strap.

Why is it that this topic is on page 8 and you still can't figure out how to build a computer or figure out the components you want?

Because i want to make sure i make the best decision possible. :)

TipitSiggy-1.jpg

Ugh.. quick problem.. the Mobo i was gonna get went out of stock.. and it hasn't come back for a few days now.. I'm looking into a new one.. some a bit more expensive, others, just the same.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... 6813128345

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... 6813128358

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... 6813131299

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... 6813131347

Need some opinions.. to tired to debate now.. so il just go with whatever you folks suggest.

TipitSiggy-1.jpg

Yeah.. the day i picked out the last piece was on the weekend, so i couldn't order, then on Monday the graphic card went out of stock, followed by the hard drive and the mobo, both of those came back, but the motherboard still hasn't.. so i haven't ordered yet.

TipitSiggy-1.jpg

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128345

Just get this one. I can't [bleep] believe you haven't even ORDERED this yet.

+1 Hurry up and order already. 8 pages and counting -.-

Avatar by Unoalexi :: Signature by Skull_Emblem

Illumination Graphics :: Click here to download the BeyondGFX resource pack!

beyondgfx.png

Jason321.png

What the hell is this kid doing?

This is almost 10 pages now and he still haven't even ordered the parts?

Why is he wasting everybody's time and not even bothering to take in what

they say, it seems like this is a blog for himself or some [cabbage] :)

Anyways I hope one you bend the pins on your mofo as your cpu drops and shatters into million pieces, while penetration you video card and knocking over you monitor meanwhile the whole thing sets on fire from your psu.

Anyways I hope one you bend the pins on your mofo as your cpu drops and shatters into million pieces, while penetration you video card and knocking over you monitor meanwhile the whole thing sets on fire from your psu.

-.-

Avatar by Unoalexi :: Signature by Skull_Emblem

Illumination Graphics :: Click here to download the BeyondGFX resource pack!

beyondgfx.png

Jason321.png

-.-

:lol: That last little bit is hysterical.

TipitSiggy-1.jpg

-.-

:lol: That last little bit is hysterical.

Lol, I find it hilarious that even he's annoyed, as he only signed up four days ago. :lol:

hopesolopatriot.jpg

I personally feel that this topic should be locked. I say this becuase people here are suggesting things and you seem to blow them off and go for something different. You then question the parts which is fine but you have done it for 9 pages! This is the first time i have ever see a build last this long in Tech and Computers. The prime reason is what is stated above, you continue to blow peoples ideas off and then go find some other part, ask there opinion on that and then they say it isn't good and you keep that. That is fine it is your money but, why they hell are you posting about in Tech and Computers? All you have done is piss alot of people in Tech and Computers off.

I personally feel that this topic should be locked. I say this becuase people here are suggesting things and you seem to blow them off and go for something different. You then question the parts which is fine but you have done it for 9 pages! This is the first time i have ever see a build last this long in Tech and Computers. The prime reason is what is stated above, you continue to blow peoples ideas off and then go find some other part, ask there opinion on that and then they say it isn't good and you keep that. That is fine it is your money but, why they hell are you posting about in Tech and Computers? All you have done is piss alot of people in Tech and Computers off.

+1.

If you are not going to build the frigging thing, then just buy the one you want.

wii_wheaton.png

[software Engineer] -

[Ability Bar Suggestion] - [Gaming Enthusiast]

I agree with Sloter. Jaziaek (or how his name is spelled) created a similar build thread as yours at the same time, and he was finished after 2 days or something.

I suggest you take time and read on hardware-sites/forums to understand what each parts does and how you put them together in a computer. If you don't want to do this, and you don't know anyone who could help you build - Go buy something from HP.

This thread is one of the funniest i've seen (ok Denis ant-under-screen wins, but still).

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

Oh god, the ant under the screen XD

Yeah, at this point, the thread should be seeing a lock, there's almost no hope for this guy.

I was going to eat hot dogs for dinner tonight. I think I will settle for cereal.

OPEN WIDE HERE COMES THE HELICOPTER.

I agree with Sloter. Jaziaek (or how his name is spelled) created a similar build thread as yours at the same time, and he was finished after 2 days or something.

I suggest you take time and read on hardware-sites/forums to understand what each parts does and how you put them together in a computer. If you don't want to do this, and you don't know anyone who could help you build - Go buy something from HP.

This thread is one of the funniest i've seen (ok Denis ant-under-screen wins, but still).

I think your talking about me?

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

I think your talking about me?

Oh crap right, i meant you. I think i saw some post by this guy before i posted here, must be why i wrote it... I'm not so active in off-topic so i mix up peoples names =P

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé