Sudden time changes, unknown passwords Can somebody help me?

How2PK

Sudden time changes, unknown passwords. Can somebody help me?

I think it started about a month, a month and a half ago. When I started the computer, and was in the normal windows screen (you know, desktop) the time and date of my computer automatically changed. Since that time nearly every time I put on the computer the date goes back to: June 10th time: 01:00 (thats night time). Well, I just kept changing it back, I didnt really know what it was (I still dont).

Well, since early this week the computer has got another problem (the time and date still go back every time I start up). When I start up the PC right after the brand name of my computer disappears I suddenly get a black screen with the following message (in a strange font): Enter Current Password. In the, nearly, 2 years that Ive got this computer I have never had this message. And since Monday its there. Strange. I dont know what it is from, I dont know the password? I just hit enter, and after five enters I can continue starting up my PC. But. Sometimes it starts up, but most of the time it doesnt and I have to try it again, sometimes up to nine times.

Ive also had a problem with Norton for about a year now. I paid the stuff for another year of security and so, but when I click the button to start it up, it doesnt do anything.

I have done nothing strange with my computer, and I didnt do anything to change it. Can somebody please help me out? I dont know if Im clear enough, I havent got much experience with computers, so please dont shoot me. If you want extra details Ill try and give them. Thanks for your help!

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!

Thanks, Nadril. I'm downloading that program now. I do feel a bit screwed by Norton, though. I pay 70 dollars (or something) a year for something that doesn't work. It's a bit of my own mistake, probably. #-o

21o4pav.jpg

Hm. So far si good. 7.5% scanned and only 6 "warnings", and 0 "Detections", "Suspicious Files" and "Hidden Objects". 11.3% and same results. 70%, still no news.

21o4pav.jpg

I'd recommend downloading HiJackThis and posting the log on here, so someone can check it for you. That often finds quite a few nasty things.

draciontheman.png

"In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

When I wanted to start the computer on this morning the cooling just made a lot of noise but I didn't get to see anything. It keeps getting stranger. I think I'll just bring it away for repair tomorrow.

21o4pav.jpg

IMO, Norton is a complete fail and waste of your money. If you really must pay for an antivirus, go for McAfee or something else. Norton will interupt your gaming, by posting rediculous stuff, forcing you to update every damned month, and when your subscription is running out, they annoying you everyday and force you to renew. Plus their virus scanners fail.

1. dump norton stick with avira.

2. get a hijackthis log asap

3. run ad aware and sypbot S&D (yes run both, not at same time though)

When I wanted to start the computer on this morning the cooling just made a lot of noise but I didn't get to see anything. It keeps getting stranger. I think I'll just bring it away for repair tomorrow.

by the cooling do you mean the fan? also when it asked for that password, was it before windows started booting (eg see the xp logo or whatever)

if so it sounds like a bios problem to me. the computer time is stored the in the bios, and im fairly sure the bios controls fan speeds.

maybe a younger brother or someone has been mucking around with the bios settings.

IMO, Norton is a complete fail and waste of your money. If you really must pay for an antivirus, go for McAfee or something else. Norton will interupt your gaming, by posting rediculous stuff, forcing you to update every damned month, and when your subscription is running out, they annoying you everyday and force you to renew. Plus their virus scanners fail.

McAfee is even worse than Norton, I recently had a bit of experience with it.

1. dump norton stick with avira.

2. get a hijackthis log asap

3. run ad aware and sypbot S&D (yes run both, not at same time though)

by the cooling do you mean the fan? also when it asked for that password, was it before windows started booting (eg see the xp logo or whatever)

if so it sounds like a bios problem to me. the computer time is stored the in the bios, and im fairly sure the bios controls fan speeds.

maybe a younger brother or someone has been mucking around with the bios settings.

Where can I get a hijackthis log?

With the cooling I think I mean the fan, yes. It asked the password before anything of windows shows. It comes directly after it says 'Packard Bell'. I don't think my brother or parents have been doing anything strange to the computer.

When you turn off your PC do you shut off the power at the wall? Sounds like your CMOS battery is dying.

Normally when I turn it off, I just turn it off. I don't pull the plug out of the wall or something. But. I did do that the day before yesterday, after that it keeps making that noise (the noise that I suspect to be the fan or something).

21o4pav.jpg

Download Hijack This and run a log, then you can post it here.

It does sound a lot like a BIOS issue though. I would recommend resetting the CMOS if you were comfortable with it, but without knowing what kind of motherboard you have I don't know where the jumper would be located.

What kind of computer is it? Like, can you give a product number or anything? That being said if you aren't comfortable with taking something on and off your motherboard (it's usually a little plastic thing on 2 metal pins) than I would recommend just biting the bullet and taking it to a repair shop. You can probably just tell them that you think it is a BIOS issue.

But yeah, I'm willing to bet that it is a BIOS issue, almost positive. :)

Thanks, I'll do the hijackthis thing later this evening, have to get back to work in fifteen minutes.

I'm not going to get inside my computer, I've got two left hands, so...Bad idea. :P

But if it's just resetting something it can't cost much repairing it? I think I can find the product info about my computer, but it would take some time. I've got it all together in some kind of map which is around here somewhere.

21o4pav.jpg

McAfee is even worse than Norton, I recently had a bit of experience with it.

Norton isn't as bad as it used to be.

http://www.av-comparatives.org/seiten/e ... port19.pdf

http://www.av-comparatives.org/seiten/e ... 008_08.php

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

Thanks, I'll do the hijackthis thing later this evening, have to get back to work in fifteen minutes.

I'm not going to get inside my computer, I've got two left hands, so...Bad idea. :P

But if it's just resetting something it can't cost much repairing it? I think I can find the product info about my computer, but it would take some time. I've got it all together in some kind of map which is around here somewhere.

I guess it depends on the computer shop. Some people love to charge exorbitant prices for something stupid like that. Hopefully it'll be cheap though. If you tell them what you think is wrong (reset the BIOS) than they might get to it quicker.

resetting the bios shouldn't be to hard. i found 2 ways that should work that seem very simple and straight forward here

1. Turn on your computer and press the key on your keyboard to enter the BIOS. This is typically the Del (delete) key. Pre-built systems from major manufacturers may use a function key such as F1, F2, or F10.

2. Go to the last tab or page of your BIOS.

3. Select an option similar to "restore factory settings".

4. Save your changes and confirm your selection if necessary. This will often be combined with the process of exiting a BIOS. Some BIOS types may have this as a separate option such as "F10: Save Changes".

1. Locate a rocker-style switch at the back of your PC (if applicable), and switch it from the on position (I) to the off position (O).

2. Remove the CMOS battery. This should be a regular 3V, round, flat watch battery.

3. Wait at least 5 minutes.

4. Reinsert the CMOS battery.

5. Move the rocker-style witch at the back of your PC (if applicable), to the on (I) position.

6. Power on your PC with its front power button.

if resetting your bios doesn't work, the battery is probably on the way out.

Trash boy, thanks for your information. It is appreciated, but I think it's better to to go a repair shop. I really don't know anything of computers or any other electric machines. I can microwave something, use an oven, e-mail and install a DVD player, but that's about it. I can only make things worse.

21o4pav.jpg