17th February 2009 - Wilderness and Real-World Trading Q&A

Fudgy999

Poll  

1. 1. Poll

I like PvP as much as I liked pking, PvP you get suprised with loot so theres always mystery, and the fact you can kill anywhere makes it slightly more challenging, small fixes are better than big, such as the introducing of teleblock in f2p, I think Jagex did make the right choice with all the dramatic changes they made at the end of '07, in '08 they brought out huge updates, such as Summoning, PvP, WGS, the new High Detail RuneScape definately isn't regressing.

Jagex had no choice as he said, sometimes you have to make those choices although nobody likes it, but prevention is always better than cure, finding a flax field that was empty, a yew tree left uncut was really hard to do in the the runescape of 06-07, sure players still macro but they get caught with the detection system, and atleast they take action against people who bug abuse or infringe rules and if you behave yourself will remove marks so I think they're more than fair.

The trade-cap "giving gifts" to friends I used to do this alot, now I actually have money, and people I gave gifts to actually have to earn money now so I'm happy with more minigames and joint activities such as penguin hunting with your friends you can gain rewards together so it's not the end of the world atleast the issues have been addressed and now coming out to talk about intentions are made clear, no complaints (for once).

smellysockssigbyblfazer.png

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[hide=quotes]
Q) Kiper1 - What else will be done to combat Real World Trading (such as using junk to transfer gold between accounts, or people using bounty hunter to transfer money)?

A) I dont consider junk trading a problem. I am actually quite happy that it is making those junk items perceived as more valuable. It doesnt allow real-world trading, but does let people do the trades they want. I see it as a good thing! Bounty Hunter is going to be further tweaked.

I [bleep] knew it. I KNEW that's why no one got rid of junk trading. Well there you have it guys, they're happy with a broken GE system because it allows players to circumvent the trading limits. What I've--and others--have been saying for ages.

Personally I agree with Andrew, and say that I see no problem with it. Sure it makes buying things on the GE abit harder sometimes, but its their items and their choice on what they want to sell them for.

I dont think its really circumventing anything. Junk has always had some value, its just now they add it to the trades to make it seem like they are getting more cash, when in actuality, they aren't.

Really we've already lost substantial trade abilities ever since this whole battle on RWTings started, lets not further hamper them and make person to person trading even worse.

You're totally missing the point though.

Junk wouldn't exist if the GE properly reflected supply and demand. Rather than fix the long-broken system, they're going to "let it slide." This is great for people who want to trade freely and have a lot of junk....

HOWEVER!

Junk items aren't the only broken items in the GE. To name a few: third age, animal masks, partyhats, etc. All these "frozen" items that never get fixed.

And since you can't fix one set of items without fixing it all UNLESS YOU DO IT MANUALLY, it's always going to be an issue now and for future rare item releases.

[/hide]

Thats because, by my guess anyway, the Grand Exchange sees you charging what is essentially mid price for both the item you are selling, and the junk. Hence it sees the item staying the same value, and not updating the price.

While it is a problem, I dont think further hampering what remains of free trade among players is justified, just to deal with it.

I am uncertain if charging above the trade price in multiple item trades will increase the value of them or not. If it does not, then perhaps the system could be changed so that it adjusts the value of the most expensive item in the trade. Which would allow the price of the item on the Grand Exchange to increase, so that it will eventually self correct.

One problem with the Grand Exchange is it does a relatively lousy job of keeping up with item prices, especially newer ones. Prices are slow to change throughout the system, and thats the reason people tend to turn to junk trading.

You do have to realize though, that no matter what you do to improve the Grand Exchange, it will never be flawless. Any artificial system such as the Grand Exchange that controls the market will never fully keep up with supply and demand the way that a free market can. It does not mean that it should not be tweaked, though.

Newer items are very likely to go up and down in price rapidly for awhile, til they have had time to stablize. The only real solutions to this, short of manually adjusting the prices, is changing the way the GE deals with newly released items.

Maybe for newer items, allow the Grand Exchange to update the prices even more rapidly than it presently does, and allowing a greater trade margin for items that have been released in say a 2 week period or so.

The reason the prices for junk items don't change is because of price floors and ties (where one item's price is "tied" to the price of another item (take a look at addy arrows (p++), for example)). Without these two mechanisms in the GE, the prices of junk items would fall to where people would actually buy them (to alch or sell to stores, most likely).

As for the prices of the junk traded items, I do not see how these couldn't be monitored and changed manually to better reflect supply and demand (there really aren't that many of them). Also note that the price changes should be done in "segments" moving closer and closer to the current junk trading prices until the general populace start using the GE again; at which point, the prices are likely to crash/skyrocket and would require more manual price changes, but I feel that, once prices settle down, following and adjusting to future market trends on these items shouldn't be too much of a hassle.

And new items should be allowed complete freedom on the GE for a couple days to a week (depending on the rarity of the item and how long Jagex thinks it could take to level out) with a "suggested" price governing player-to-player trades or even with all trading of the item restricted to the GE during this time (lending could/should/would still be allowed, if applicable).

With that said, I respect Jagex's decision to recognize and continue to allow junk trading even though I feel the above ideas are a better choice.

It's also very nice to see Andrew come back out of the woodworks and do something public like this. <3:<3: =D>

> SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0;

0 rows returned

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

There are only 10 types of people

in this world: those who understand

binary and those who don't.

This statement is false.

$DO || ! $DO ; try

try: command not found

Q) Kiper1 - What else will be done to combat Real World Trading (such as using junk to transfer gold between accounts, or people using bounty hunter to transfer money)?

A) I dont consider junk trading a problem. I am actually quite happy that it is making those junk items perceived as more valuable. It doesnt allow real-world trading, but does let people do the trades they want. I see it as a good thing! Bounty Hunter is going to be further tweaked.

I [bleep] knew it. I KNEW that's why no one got rid of junk trading. Well there you have it guys, they're happy with a broken GE system because it allows players to circumvent the trading limits. What I've--and others--have been saying for ages.

I dont think its really circumventing anything. It takes time to gather junk, which most wont bother with. Infact, they are not earning a single GP more from the junk trades than they would without them, they just merely perceive it like they are.

Junk has value do to its use to players, and/or its store price. Even small items, like tinderboxes and buckets, take time to gather and have value due to their various uses for players.

All these trades accomplish is saving people the time of selling this junk manually for the same amount of coins. These trades essentially say, "In order to buy item X, you must also buy items Y alongside it". You are NOT paying more for the item, merely buying junk with the item.

Really we've already lost substantial trade abilities ever since this whole battle on RWTings started, lets not further hamper them and make person to person trading even worse.

By way, I edited this post to better make my point.

Finally, someone other than me actually realizes this........you got no idea how far you just climbed on my "cool list"

archsupportei2.png

I dont think its really circumventing anything. It takes time to gather junk, which most wont bother with. Infact, they are not earning a single GP more from the junk trades than they would without them, they just merely perceive it like they are.

Junk has value do to its use to players, and/or its store price. Even small items, like tinderboxes and buckets, take time to gather and have value due to their various uses for players.

All these trades accomplish is saving people the time of selling this junk manually for the same amount of coins. These trades essentially say, "In order to buy item X, you must also buy items Y alongside it". You are NOT paying more for the item, merely buying junk with the item.

By way, I edited this post to better make my point.

Finally, someone other than me actually realizes this........you got no idea how far you just climbed on my "cool list"

Most people don't take time out of their day-to-day playing to actually go out and gather junk. TBH, that'd be stupid since you can get money much faster through regular training.

The way people get junk is as a by-product of said regular day-to-day training. For instance, I have about 3k-4k rune javelins in my bank right now. I got them all from slaying metal dragons in search of the rarer drops and exp; they were merely there for me to pick up (for absolutely no cost to myself), and, because I figured they had some use somewhere (whether it's using them to train ranged, as junk, selling them to a shop/alching them, or selling to another player who can then sell to a shop doesn't matter), I picked them up.

Now, as you can see, I have several choices as to what I can do with them. However, due to trading restrictions (namely, price floors in the GE that make them unsellable on their own), the fact that javelins suck exp-wise (and therefore not worth using), and the shop prices of rune javelins (and the fact that I don't want to waste my time at said shop for barely anything), they are, for now, completely worthless.

The bolded statement (at least the second part of it), in a way, is true. Were junk trades completely unneeded, and therefore not used, junk traders would, theoretically (due to the fact that "street" prices aren't completely accurate due to the way junk trading limits the markets), be receiving same they are now through straight-up cash-for-item trades (for the item actually being traded; the junk could also be traded for cash, but only if the price floors were removed to let it fall to where players were willing to buy it).

> SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0;

0 rows returned

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

There are only 10 types of people

in this world: those who understand

binary and those who don't.

This statement is false.

$DO || ! $DO ; try

try: command not found

Q) Samrulz432 - You have bought a type of pking back called pvp, but many people would like pvp to just be in the wild. you could also have worlds where it is worldwide pking, and a couple with just wild pking?

A) I like this idea :) Ill discuss this with the content team in more detail.

Wild-only Pking... mayybeeee...

I'd live on those worlds. I'd SO live on those worlds.

Hope it IS implimented... I'm seeing the old days come back but betterrrr. Okay, besides the whole 'poo for you, you died and didn't get a gravestone, your corpse is free stuff to bystanders' thing which would prolly be there toooooo, buuuuut that just drives the point home that DYING IS DUMB IDEA, JA?

I didn't get your last line but yeah, I would live on a wild-only pking too! Same system, no RWT.

:3

Ehheh... I only understand it because I wrote it... let's seee...

I was saying that wilderness-only pking worlds would be like before the massive changes but better, because there'd be no RWT. The only thing that would be annoying, and not everyone DOES see it as annoying, would be the distinct lack of gravestones and therefore the ability for others to dive upon your corpse and take your stuff when you die. However, that added danger just drives home the point that dying is not a very smart idea and yesss you will LOSE all but your best 0/1/3/4 item(s), depending on circumstances.

Of course, if they can manage to have just a few places be gravestoneless in normal worlds (Coporeal Beast for an example... is that the only place?), then they could easily have gravestones everywhere except for the wilderness.

Balance may be power, but chaos is still pretty damn fun.

Lielac.png

Canada can't be second rate, polar bears are their main mode of transportation.

I agree with Jagex, it was a good idea to remove the wildy/trade limit. There was just too much real life trading for the good of the pk/trade to be countered.

Best Drops: 1 d skirt, 1 whip in party room, 1 robin hood hat (lvl 3 clue), 1 sara bracer (lvl 3 clue), 2 zamorak pages (page 1 and 3), 1 guthix page (page 3)