attack strength or defence?

bplaya626

Poll  

1. 1. Poll

Why not train on controlled? If not, it's really up to you. I, personally, favor defense more, but there's a lot of people that will suggest attack first, then strength, then defense. However, buy something better for strength, such as a dragon scimmy.

~ Proud Father ~ Proud (Currently Deployed) Army National Guardsmen ~ Proud Lakota ~ Retired Tip.It Crew ~

personally, id train each one to 75, once all at 75, 80 etc...

and if you wana train str, you really cant use just a dds. do monkey madness if you havent already and use a dragon scim, or use berserker necklace and obsidian sword for str. if you can afford it, a saradomin sword would be the best

I'm gonna be walking down an alley in varrock, and walka is going to walk up to me in a trench coat and say "psst.. hey man, wanna buy some sara brew"

walka92- retired with 99 in attack, strength, defence, health, magic, ranged, prayer and herblore and 137 combat. some day i may return to claim 138 combat, but alas, that time has not yet come

I don't know why people insist on training with Dragon Daggers, so I advise to get Dragon Scimitar or atleast Dragon Longsword for Strength. Also It depends on how you will be training and what will you be doing? If using Slayer to train I advise training Defense so you will get hit less on those harder, longer tasks. Or you can always train all three using controlled with whip ;).

Kasalisk.png

Train controlled with that whip and specing with dagger for extra str xp. And to the one who posted that d long is better than dagger... do some testing and you will be surprised how dagger gets you 5-10% more xp per hour. I would advise against training those skills one by one then downgrading to a d scimmy for str xp... It is a matter of choice, but since you asked for advice, that was mine.

langerkiller.png

Follow the progress of top players and my weekly updates here: 200M in all Skills

Latest Milestones Chart update : page 602

Latest top 15 update : page 602

6 slowest skills chart : page 563

What im doing is getting 99 attack (within a month :thumbsup: ) and after that i plan on getting my defense up some or to 99 so i can continue to use my whip. After that im going to get 99 str either using a d scim/ss, but that won't be for a while.

But this i what i plan on doing. What i suggest is do what best suites you. You could use a whip on controlled so you can get 3 99s at once (which would be pretty sweet), or follow my plan our someone elses that posts(ed) here.

[hide=Drops]Slayer:Draconic Visage x3, Abyssal Whip x23, Dark Bow x3, Dragon Platelegs x3, Dragon Boots x40, Dragon Plateskirt x4, Shield Left Half x3, Dragon Medium Helms x10

GWD:

CS: Zamorakian Spear x2, Zamorak Hilt x1, Bandos Chestplate x1, Sara Sword x1

DKs: Dragon Hatchet x3 Beserker Ring x1[/hide]

[hide=Completed Goals]99Attack.pngAchieved April 26, 200999Defence.pngAchieved Sept. 15, 200999Hitpoints.pngAchieved Nov. 21, 200999Strength.png Jan. 10, 2010

99Slayer.png Achieved Mar. 5, 2010[/hide]

[hide=Goals]c1dfeeb1d3.pngCptBaker.pngCptBaker.png[/hide]

Get them up in levels of 5 in this order Strength, Attack, Defence.

So 75 str, 75 atk, 75 def, 80 str etc.

Once your defence is 85 stop training it and get strength/attack to 95. Then defence to 90. The strength/attack to 99 before the defence to 99.

Reason being defence isn't as important after 85 as the armour you can use will stop most attacks and those that do hit you can heal cheaply. This is also the reason I don't recommend controlled.

Strength and Attack will both effect your hits so are noticable.

As for strength, dragon scimmy is better than the dragon dagger if you don't have a lot of cash. However the Saradomin Sword is the best weapon for strength training (speed of a whip).

cat_sabbath.png

Trust the Gene Genie!

I've personally always favoured strength, and it was considerably higher than my attack/defence. I aso always kept my defence higher than attack, too, but that was before guthans/summoning, healing is considerably easier now, so defence may not be quite as valuable.

However the Saradomin Sword is the best weapon for strength training (speed of a whip).

That's debatable. Dragon Scimitar is also the speed of a whip, and you're able to use a shield/defender with it.

SS = 82 slash, 82 strength

Defence = 0

DS/Rune Defender = 86 slash attack, 71 strength

Defence = 20 stab, 20 slash, 18 crush

I still personally prefer using scim/defender to train strength with, I really only use my SS on waterfiends.

Dork.jpeg

Sig And Avatar by Tripsis - 99 Slayer Blog - My Pyramid Plunder Guide

Owner of Fire Cape since 28-09-2005 - 426th to 99 Strength

Defence = 0

You forget a the faster exp places like armoured zombies make use of prayer and SS offers 2+ prayer bonus.

Sounds like a little but if it means a few seconds more training before you have to recharge it soon adds up.

Then you have the special, dragon scimmy has one of the worst specials which is pointless on npc's at least sara sword actually does something worth while.

Use whip on controlled till your 80 80 80 then start to focus on attack and strength.

DDS is only good for the special you shouldn't use it for training as such.

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Dragon Boots x4 - all less then 30 kc
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

Solo only - doesn't include barrows[/hide][hide=Stats]

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

I've personally always favoured strength, and it was considerably higher than my attack/defence. I aso always kept my defence higher than attack, too, but that was before guthans/summoning, healing is considerably easier now, so defence may not be quite as valuable.

However the Saradomin Sword is the best weapon for strength training (speed of a whip).

That's debatable. Dragon Scimitar is also the speed of a whip, and you're able to use a shield/defender with it.

Defence = 0

I still personally prefer using scim/defender to train strength with, I really only use my SS on waterfiends.

Sara Sword was noticably better than a Dragon Scimmy for me. +4 slash isn't going to make a lot of difference and is easily addressed with a Warrior Ring instead of Berserker. Plus you are going to be hitting higher with the SS and the spec is actually useful.

Defence is pretty moot. Bunyip/Guthans easily make up for the few extra hit you take and I will bet most people don't use a super defence pot on all tasks.

cat_sabbath.png

Trust the Gene Genie!