Should Runescape players be able to change usernames?

tehravenx

It would be confusing, and we all agreed to our names at the start.

Currently - Slaying to 99!

Monkeyannie.pngMonkeyannie.png

[hide=Drops]Notable drops-

Dragon- 10 Platelegs / 3 Med Helms / 10 Plateskirts / 1 Spear / 3 Left Halves / 4 Claws / 3 Ruined Armour Lumps / 200+ Boots / 3 Pickaxes

Godwars- 1 Bandos Chestplate / Shard 1 / Shard 2 / 4 Sets of ancient robes

Barrows- 250M+ LOOT Including 10 Spears (back in the day) / Guthans spear and Dharoks helm in 1 chest (at the time it was worth 8M, a big deal to many people then lol) / 8 Guthans helms / 3 Dharoks helms / 4 Veracs Helms / etc.

Other Slayer stuff- Whips 20 / Dark Bows 3 / Granite Mauls 20 / Ranging Ammys 6 / 1 Visage (steel dragons) / 40+ effigies

I play on and off. I'll play the game solidly for a month then quit for the next 3, lol.[/hide][/size]

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My view of being able to change your username.

In the first place if you wanted to make an account you should have thought hard about it. The RS name I use I made up in fifth grade 7 years ago and when I started playing Runescape 6 years ago, I made sure I didn't have any random numbers or any letters that didn't belong. I do the same with all my account like my second account Mr Wargasm. I had the idea of HBK from WWE as Mr Wrestlemania but I couldn't think of a Mr anything. Then I watched an episode of Pregame lobby on Youtube and they had something referred to as Wargasm. It was a great word for me because Runescape and Jagex dont have it censored.

The argument I noticed that some people "Made an account, got bored with the name and wanted to change it but ended up making a new account". Honestly why bother making another account. Doing this over and over would be like giving a pyromaniac lighters for christmas every year. Some people just need to make up their minds.

Another argument I've seen is that "You delete this guy from your friends but guess what! You just deleted This other guy, your old friend from the days of the party room being in p2p". If Jagex did make usernames changeable, they wouldn't appear as two seperate people on your friends list, the name would change and all that would happen would be you log into Runescape and talk to your buddy Reggieboy, and the next day his name is Reggieboylolxoxo.

A "GOOD" argument I saw was the fact that where Jagex is at now, doing something big like this is out of their reach for now. Its just to much people are asking for, and I honestly think that being able to change your username would be a horrible idea, absolutely childish in my opinion.

i think you should be able to change your name as people change over the years, someone may have called themself "xpwnerx nub" but years later you may hate your name.

but it should cost you somehow and if a friend does change his name it should tell you when you log on "billy joe has changed his name to joe billy"

also you could only change your name every so often i.e. every 2 months.

yes im writing this because i hate my name.

Pit_Guardian.png

Gamertag: EFs Predator.

Games I play: Halo 3, Halo wars.

i think you should be able to change your name as people change over the years, someone may have called themself "xpwnerx nub" but years later you may hate your name.

but it should cost you somehow and if a friend does change his name it should tell you when you log on "billy joe has changed his name to joe billy"

also you could only change your name every so often i.e. every 2 months.

yes im writing this because i hate my name.

I would find this perfectly acceptable, even though I will never change my RS name.

I don't support

It could be a problem if Zezima or any other famous switches his name. Everyone will rush for it. Though it could help famous people hide their identity.

Many problems will arise -friends' lists? People switching their identities (tom1 becomes tom2, tom2 becomes tom1)? Etc, etc. You get the point.

It will probably never work.

I'm not sure about this idea, think from players side , okay your friend changed his nickname (let's say once again err) and you have to remove his old name from the friend list and (yet again) add his new one.

If jagex will want to do this idea they will need lots of work then on the nickname changing. And it would be harder for new players to find nicknames that can be used.

That shouldn't be a bottleneck for Jagex, simply because every account has it's own ID in the database. The username will only refer to an ID, and doesn't have the role of the ID itself.

In fact, your friend list and ignore list do only contain Account IDs in the database, once you login and view one of the lists, the usernames will be fetched.

So you will still keep all your friends and foes in both lists, only the name might be not familiar with you. I hope that further debaters will keep that in mind.

2r5tgfm.png

To everyone that says that this is a stupid idea because it would be too hard to do technically, no it wouldn't. Its actually very easy. And as far as making the ignore list irrelevant...how often do you run into people you've added to ignore again. I can think of once in my life, and my ignore list is almost full. Also they can make it so that your username changes on their list when they change it, which is exactly what happens on x-box live.

Trolling by giving good advice since April 2011.

The Blog - Currently Cleaning Herbs

Bladewing.png

Yes! But with a limit to how often. I mean most online game I play I can change it why should runescape be any different? Right now I have the 385 in my username and I like it but if I ever thought of a word that could replace it that would be great. Plus then if you quit you could change your name to Danno385-quit so friends would take you off their list and now Danno385 would be usable to anyone that liked it.

In fact, I do have some pancake mix.

2ic8sw5.png

i would keep my username the same (death x dude, why would i want to change it :thumbsup: ) but as a joke, i would (if i could) rename my self as "mod mmg" or something like that.

mod mmg says: hello, we have something for you.

some random player says: zomg zomg zomg!!!! yay

:lol:

(i would never use that to scam anyone. ever.)

mlpfim20percentcoolersi.jpg

I'm a Brony and proud of it!