F2P mage frustration

LatinII

Bind, the only "freezing" spell for the F2P mage. It has a duration of 5 seco - ... wait, 5? More like 1 if you ask me. When you cast Bind, your opponent will be frozen immediatelly, even though you're still casting the spell, which already has a casting time of around 2 seconds. :? Which leaves your opponent 3 seconds of being "frozen". After, you may want to go to a safespot, but because of Bind having such a short duration, your opponent will already be running towards you again while you just moved one square. You'll never have enough time to cast 1 Fire Blast, which also has a casting time of like 1.5 seconds, being horrible inaccurate (even on people with rune armour you will see splashes often), and only has a max hit of 16.

And those silly -5% weakening spells isn't going to help you much either.

The max + magic bonus a F2P mage can have is +39, and most of their defence stats are around +20/+30. that's nothing. F2P mages are pathetic when it comes to combat, which is lame imo. A ranger can be a good tanker, while still being a good damage dealer (18 on rapid), melee-ers can hit up to 31s with their 2H's, and mages can hit a 16, but most of the time you'll see something between 4-12.

This is seriously annoying me. I love mages, I always am a mage on other MMO's, and I want to be able to be a good mage in F2P too. All I want is Snare, Wave spells and maybe those -10% weakining spells. I'd also like to see Splitbark becoming F2P. I mean, who ever uses that in P2P? It's mere garbage.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say thats a good reason to get p2p, seeing as you state that you like to play mages in games. And p2p holds tons more mage stuff for you.

And if you wish to remain f2p go buy some rune armor :)

Mages should be balanced in F2P too in my opinion, not just in P2P.

Wearing rune armour would only decrease my magic attack, which will make me splash even more then I already do. :P

I'd say thats a good reason to get p2p, seeing as you state that you like to play mages in games. And p2p holds tons more mage stuff for you.

Wearing rune armour would only decrease my magic attack, which will make me splash even more then I already do. :P

I agree. Every combat system, be it ranged, melee or magic deserves to be balanced fairly. But Jagex must leave an incentive to purchase p2p. In this case it would probably be the unbalanced magic abilities that could lead to you buying a membership. I'm sure you would enjoy the mage experience in members far more than in f2p.

p.s I'm 89 magic without membership myself, and I've always found magic here in f2p to be quite useful (teleports, smithing etc). But melee and ranged is far more deadly when fighting in the wilderness here in f2p :)

I agree. Every combat system, be it ranged, melee or magic deserves to be balanced fairly. But Jagex must leave an incentive to purchase p2p. In this case it would probably be the unbalanced magic abilities that could lead to you buying a membership. I'm sure you would enjoy the mage experience in members far more than in f2p.

p.s I'm 89 magic without membership myself, and I've always found magic here in f2p to be quite useful (teleports, smithing etc). But melee and ranged is far more deadly when fighting in the wilderness here in f2p :)

I too have been P2P before, using Claws of Guthix and Charge (gotta love those 2 skills), so I know what I'm missing. The thing is, when I purchase a month of P2P, I feel so forced to play the game, because otherwise I would waste a month of membership. And I quite often retire from the game for several weeks when I'm bored, so that would be a big waste of membership days.

"But Jagex must leave an incentive to purchase p2p. In this case it would probably be the unbalanced magic abilities that could lead to you buying a membership. I'm sure you would enjoy the mage experience in members far more than in f2p."

Maybe you're right. If so, then screw you Jagex :wall: The Combat Triangle is very unbalanced for the F2P mage, and it's quite easy to fix it, without making too many P2P-ers angry. I mean, who ever uses Splitbark in P2P? Most people use Ancients for PvP, so adding Wave spells to F2P would be an ok thing to do. Same counts for giving Snare to F2P.

I use full Druidic (Higher % for Bind to succeed), Runecrafter gloves, an amulet of magic, and my Explorer's ring to have the maximum + magic attack possible for F2P. Still, I stand no chance against a melee-er in my level range. Bind doesn't last too long to get to a good safe spot, Fire Blast hits too low and is too inaccurate, and the debuffs aren't any good either.

But I agree with you that Magic is a nice and usefull skill, but it lacks when it comes to PvP.

Mage is balanced. Unfortunately, it maxes out early in the skill. See the various other posts on this.

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

Mage is balanced. Unfortunately, it maxes out early in the skill. See the various other posts on this.

Maybe at level 50-70 it is. But at level 90/100+ it will be very unbalanced, and you can't deny that.

Also, keep in mind that I'm talking about F2P. In P2P it's balanced indeed, at every level range.

I whole-heartedly agree with you. F2P mage needs some tweaks. It just simply can't compete with other combat styles at high levels.

Master of Attack ~ August 29th, 2010

Proud to have served the awesome Tip.It Crew <3

4bbb67ec44.png

Juhniz.png

Juhniz.png

Juhniz.png

I know this all too well.

You should look at and support my idea :P.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

Maybe at level 50-70 it is. But at level 90/100+ it will be very unbalanced, and you can't deny that.

Also, keep in mind that I'm talking about F2P. In P2P it's balanced indeed, at every level range.

That's exactly what I said :-#

Mage needs higher level spells. It's that simple. Then again, it's unlikely it will get them, with melee and range maxing out at level 40.

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

Mage gets its accuracy boosted, melee has separate skills. A mage damage boost would be nice, I guess.

DeviledEgg24.png

Snare: I agree

Wave spells: This may be pushing it with the blood runes. 16 damage at combat level like 30-40 is already amazing. That's when mage shines, not at higher levels.

-10% weakening: I agree

Here's how f2p combat works, each piece of the triangle has a "dynastic" period in which it dominates the other two, regardless of the triangle's "rules". For mage, this is in the low levels (before level 55-ish), range picks up from there and lasts until the 60s and 70s, after which melee is best.

Although admittingly, f2p mage got a huge shot of steroids with Teleblock.

Snare: I agree

Wave spells: This may be pushing it with the blood runes.

Bloods could rise if Wave spells would be made F2P, after that glitch with BA. :)

Not familiar with that glitch.

I'm not saying that it's a bad idea, but I think it's pushing it too far for Jagex to accept.

you definetly have valid points there..mage is only good at low cb levels..but even then if you were to put a lower level mage against a ranger with the same levels, the ranger would more often than not come out on top..also with protect from mage being the first protect spell available..mage is pretty much screwed.

however, if youve been reading the new stuff mark gerhard (or whatevr his name is) has been posting on the main runescape site, i think he mentioned something about fixing f2p mage sucking so bad. keep your hopes up.. -.-

l_f9faeb8497d4422f960573321c8fec9d.jpg

Darwin's Radio, stairway to stardom 2009

you definetly have valid points there..mage is only good at low cb levels..but even then if you were to put a lower level mage against a ranger with the same levels, the ranger would more often than not come out on top..also with protect from mage being the first protect spell available..mage is pretty much screwed.

however, if youve been reading the new stuff mark gerhard (or whatevr his name is) has been posting on the main runescape site, i think he mentioned something about fixing f2p mage sucking so bad. keep your hopes up.. -.-

Not in my experience. Even with the basic fire strike, the mages come out on top, even over rangers. Remember that good part of your mage defense is your magic level.

Also, low levels usually don't advance that far into prayer. I'm talking about level 40s here. Unless they specifically train prayer, they'll be either: very weak combat-wise, or a higher level. Prayer, honestly speaking, is irrelevant at low levels. Even when you hit 37 mage, it'll only last for a few moments. With no ppots and super restores, prayer is almost out of place in f2p.

It is actually 5 seconds. As far as i can tell.

From my experience, Bind will start to work as soon as when you cast the spell. Bind takes about 2 seconds to cast, so that will leave you with 3 seconds to either run away and Bind him again, or do 1 Fire Blast and then Bind him again.

Imo it should start to freeze your enemy when you finish casting the spell, so you actually have 5 seconds to do whatever you want to do with him/her.

Yes, but it freezes them from the time you start casting the spell, so its still 5 seconds, giving you enough time to cast 1 spell, and run away.

Then you bind again.

In a clan match that's all well and good, but I think he means that it's useless for 1 on 1 matches.

Legil_galad2.png

Woodcutting does not raise your combat level because most people do not play as yew trees.