F2P mage frustration

LatinII

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In a clan match that's all well and good, but I think he means that it's useless for 1 on 1 matches.

Quite the opposite of what i meant, i can 1v1 farcast in f2p relatively well.

Your opponents must royally stink,and you must be blessed with no pjers, and great landscape.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

Your opponents must royally stink,and you must be blessed with no pjers, and great landscape.

Actually, any landscape counts as 'great' for range. Melee demands a flat treeless plain. Pjers are a problem with any combat style, it aint unique to range. Oh, and they don't royally stink, you just have to have a range level equal to your combat - something most 'range suckzorz' people fail to comprehend.

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

Just been to Duel Arena, and challenged a level 82 melee kid. I made great use of the obstacles, and kept him Binding over and over again. I think I used around 20 Binds just for that single person. And my Fire Blast kept hitting around 8-10, even though he was wearing melee gear. #-o I won though. The reason that I wasted so many Binds on him, was because he was maybe frozen for 3 (I counted!) seconds, and I had to Bind him over and over in order to get to a good safespot. :s I want Snare!

Also, I highly advice those Druidic robes to every F2P mage out there. They help really well. I rarely fail a Bind now.

Just been to Duel Arena, and challenged a level 82 melee kid. I made great use of the obstacles, and kept him Binding over and over again. I think I used around 20 Binds just for that single person. And my Fire Blast kept hitting around 8-10, even though he was wearing melee gear. #-o I won though. The reason that I wasted so many Binds on him, was because he was maybe frozen for 3 (I counted!) seconds, and I had to Bind him over and over in order to get to a good safespot. :s I want Snare!

Also, I highly advice those Druidic robes to every F2P mage out there. They help really well. I rarely fail a Bind now.

Just try fighting with full food now, you'll use insane numbers of runes even if your opponent keeps their armour on (unlikely).
The_Maddest.png

Just try fighting with full food now, you'll use insane numbers of runes even if your opponent keeps their armour on (unlikely).

Yeah, F2P spells are very inaccurate it seems. :? I rarely hit a 16.

I remember when Magic was overpowered with the same spells we have now.

Level 35 tank magers downing level 80's and 90's.

I have yet to see a level 35 take down a level 80/90. :shock:

How the hell can a lvl 35 down a 80 or 90 unless they were just standing there with auto retaliate off and no prayer whatsoever wearing bronze armor.

Precisely. Thank you for proving my point.

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

How the hell can a lvl 35 down a 80 or 90 unless they were just standing there with auto retaliate off and no prayer whatsoever wearing bronze armor.
He did say "I remember" which implies that this was a long time ago :roll:

When was this? >.>

When was this? >.>

i believe it was in rsc when mage wasnt an actually main skill but a side one

you could attack with melee and you would mage as fast as u could click on the spell and then on the person during the "three turn rule" (three attacks before running or eating)

1100 total achieved 03/02/09 880thousandth to reach it :P

1200 total achieved 29/09/11 1.23millionth to reach it :P

awesome_600.png

When was this? >.>

you could attack with melee and you would mage as fast as u could click on the spell and then on the person during the "three turn rule" (three attacks before running or eating)

Oh, you mean back in the day. I thought you meant early RS2. I'm not familiar with how Classic worked, well not that specifically at least.

When was this? >.>

Oh, you mean back in the day. I thought you meant early RS2. I'm not familiar with how Classic worked, well not that specifically at least.

Basically armour had no negative magic attack bonuses.

So people would be decked out in full defence gear while maging as fast as any other combat style.

RSC also had a different way of levelling combat so you could be high defence and high magic while low everything else (they also tended to have very low hp). 70 defence/35 hitpoints/80 magic = 36 cb.

For example a completely maxed tank mager at 99 defence 99 hitpoints 99 magic would be 62 combat. And as you can guess they would destroy ANY level 62 main/pure no matter which combat style they used (pures didn't use magic back then). You couldn't use ranged in combat either.

Tbh every type of player was deadly in RSC. Pures destroyed, Mages destroyed it was an ongoing circle that Jagex got rid off when it came to RS2.

Zerker_jane.png

Mages are not bad. I've seen plenty of mages (cb 60) take down warriors (of cb 60+) ONE ON ONE. Tank mage does work, it just doesn't work as well as other types of pkers. It also wastes too much money, and the defense rating is just pitiful. Imho if your gonna be using mage as your primary, you should be between level 3 and 45 combat max. Any other area, you should be in a team, not solo.

Shreddies321.png

Shreddies321.png

Shreddies321.png

Shreddies321.png

I think mage accuracy in F2P is very dependant on your mage level, mine is 85 and I can still hit consistantly with fireblast wearing semi-full rune against another full rune.

Heck, I hit consistantly with ice blitz in full veracs (probably just luck).

Exactly. Mage accuracy has far more to do with your and your opponents mage level; with 99 mage, +15% prayer, and +7 boost from wolpertinger, I can smash through black d hide in veracs with barrage.

DeviledEgg24.png

I think mage accuracy in F2P is very dependant on your mage level, mine is 85 and I can still hit consistantly with fireblast wearing semi-full rune against another full rune.
What do you mean by semi-full rune? You can only wear a shield if using a FoG robe set, and you really need druidic for the binding ability.
The_Maddest.png

I agree with you, Dutch, on many points. F2P Magic is terrible, you can only hit up to slow 19s while rangers can destroy you with rapid hits that have no such limit on them. Certainly P2P Magic is quite overpowered (I have friends who Ice Barrage people, it looks insane), especially the aforementioned Ancients, but Jagex apparently decided to hand us the short end of the stick when it comes to Magic, as they get the most bonuses in P2P, but are incredibly nooby in F2P.

I agree that it sucks and I also took one key point from your post: that it feels like you are almost forced to play the game as a member. I agree with that as well, but if you are financially stable you should feel comfortable buying a membership. I cannot make that decision for you, however.

fishdert.png

Fishdert.png

Fishdert.png

Fishdert.png

I agree with you, Dutch, on many points. F2P Magic is terrible, you can only hit up to slow 19s while rangers can destroy you with rapid hits that have no such limit on them. Certainly P2P Magic is quite overpowered (I have friends who Ice Barrage people, it looks insane), especially the aforementioned Ancients, but Jagex apparently decided to hand us the short end of the stick when it comes to Magic, as they get the most bonuses in P2P, but are incredibly nooby in F2P.

I agree that it sucks and I also took one key point from your post: that it feels like you are almost forced to play the game as a member. I agree with that as well, but if you are financially stable you should feel comfortable buying a membership. I cannot make that decision for you, however.

Correcting a probable typo, slow 16s, not slow 19s.

But on the other hand, the power of mage comes out extremely early in f2p. You'll be hitting 16s while your ranger and warrior counterparts are struggling with 7s.

But on the other hand, the power of mage comes out extremely early in f2p. You'll be hitting 16s while your ranger and warrior counterparts are struggling with 7s.

True, I did notice I was hitting much harder with Magic than meleers in a shorter level span. The only problem (like every mage has pointed out) is that Magic maxes out way too early in F2P. After a certain cut-off, it just isn't as good as the other 2 combat styles.

fishdert.png

Fishdert.png

Fishdert.png

Fishdert.png

True, I did notice I was hitting much harder with Magic than meleers in a shorter level span. The only problem (like every mage has pointed out) is that Magic maxes out way too early in F2P. After a certain cut-off, it just isn't as good as the other 2 combat styles.

Well if it were any higher than it'd just be too high.

At 59 mage you hit 16s

At 99 range you hit 18s

At 99 strength you hit 24s with Rune Scimmy and 30+ with r2h, but rarely does one fight the whole match with a r2h, let's stick with 24s.

I mean, just look at that. 59 mage v 99 range, and the mager only hits 2 less than the ranger! There's not much improvement in the way of combat spells. The easiest fix, imo, is to give f2p snare, the 10% reducer spells, and a mid-level set of robes.

Although saying something for high level mages, f2p can teleblock now. Let's not forget that.

What do you mean by semi-full rune? You can only wear a shield if using a FoG robe set, and you really need druidic for the binding ability.

Two people fighting with r scimis, then one suddenly uses a spell and it hits, If it hits hard, it can kinda freak out the opponent, they might waste some food. Though that kind of tactic isn't really advisable, lol, I'm just using it as an example here, something that I've tried.

I mean rune chain and med helm instead of plate+full when I say "semi". (I can pull that off with 90 defense, but it's still better to wear full)

Btw, using the FoG set in pvp solo is suicide, the defense bonus is +3.

:ugeek: I agree. Just because it is F2P the system still needs to be balanced. :ugeek:

4rvq0m.jpg

^Hawt new Siggy^ Made by yours truly.

Yeah, Spanish class is where everything funny happens.

Click To see my Origami gallery!

[hide=Important drops]Important drops..... Bandos Tassets x2

Dragon medium helm x 1

Dragon pickaxe x 1 (6m)

Verac's Brassard x 1

Veracs's Helm x 2

Verac's Skirt x 1

Guthan's Helm x 2

Guthan's spear x 1

Karil's Leatherskirt x 1

Karil's C'bow x 1

Dharok's Helm x 1 (4.6m)[/hide]