[Updated 9 Dec] Reviving Smithing : Divinite

Zaaps1

What made you think I was a troll? :s

They are powerful, yes, but remember that their power is offset by the armor.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then go to the center and perform the flap emote.

Mainly this.

So, in order to be safe from a 100M~ (random guess) item, I have to spend my own 300M (head/body/legs/shield) to get protection?

'Tis I, 'tis Vindice, 'tis I!

Mainly this.

So, in order to be safe from a 100M~ (random guess) item, I have to spend my own 300M (head/body/legs/shield) to get protection?

Couldn't think of anything better. We all blank out sometimes, right?

Knowingly or unknowing, you do so already.

Mainly this.

Couldn't think of anything better. We all blank out sometimes, right?

Knowingly or unknowing, you do so already.

flap emote

anything better

#-o

You need to make it hard, you don't need to make it absurd.

'Tis I, 'tis Vindice, 'tis I!

Well, what other thing CAN you have?

An idea making it so little xp is garnered making these items so the raw material doesnt cost more than the created items

I dont need a siggy no moar.

What should it be reduced to?

The current xp is based off the xp of rune.

If the idea of the raw material is to be less than the created item, then the xp has to be brutally low so it doesnt make anyone use it for training whatsoever.

Say like Steel or Iron xp. Rune would be too good and encourage people to use it for training - thus, making the raw material be more pricey than the created items.

But smithing a full d sqaure, d plate, dfs, and spirit shields all give thousands of xp. Yet, no one I know or met has used them for training.

List of planned updates to improve this idea:

-The Armor will now be blessed by default. It will cut all damage by 20%. It will also further halve the damage taken every other hit, if it is by the disadvantaged combat style. However, its stats fall by 20% if it is hit by an advantaged combat style, and 10% every hit missed hit after that by the same combat style.

-The Armor will degrade over the course of 20 hours of combat.

-Weapons will also degrade over 20 hours

-To recharge the Armor and Weapons, you must obtain a special drop (Divine Icon) from the Guardians. It drops 1/50 times.

-To recharge the Armor, you also need a barrows item of the disadvantaged combat class

-To enter a designated area (eg. Divinite Mines), you must sacrifice a Spirit Cobra, and it must be summoned before sacrificed

-Divine Claw Whip will have its stun reduced to 10 seconds from 20 seconds

-Rod of Life will now grant immunity instead of healing. This immunity lasts for 5 minutes. Immunity will block damage equal to damage the spell cast. So if you hit a 30, the next 30 damage you take is negated.

-Attempting the mine the rock gives you a chance of failing to extract the ore and an explosion to will damage you (similar to retired random event). The base level is now 50 (with all the level boosters) and the chance of extracting is 50%. Every level after, your chance improves by 1%. If you are wearing the skill cape, you cannot fail. (If you are 99 but not wearing it, you only have 99% chance.)

-To smithing Divinite, you need 1 Divinite Ore and 25 coal at 50 smithing. Every 2 levels after, you need 1 less coal. If you are wearing the skill cape, you need no coal. (If you are 99 but not wearing it, you still need 1 coal.)

Archmage and I worked on this a while ago, and I thought it was time to post it. Any questions/concerns? the point of this is to improve this idea to better accomplish the goal: to make smithing profitable again.

But smithing a full d sqaure, d plate, dfs, and spirit shields all give thousands of xp. Yet, no one I know or met has used them for training.

They dont yield a profit do they?

But then it would accomplish the purpose.

Felt i should get my opinion out. Yes, i would agree that mineing/smithing need a serious overhaul but i dont think this is the correct course of action. When i started out in runescape the idea of being able to make my own armor and weapons was hugely apealing but i soon learned that there were faster ways, i could make money and just buy what i wanted. I would like to see mid-high level players being able to smith customised equipment to suit their own needs. I know attempting this would open a massive can of worms but what we need is not more powerful weapons and armor but a greater diversity of useful equipment.

2e2f7zn.jpg1z5oswz.jpg14kktmv.png

2nhpyqv.jpg

sy9rti.jpg

It was so colourful, dudes, that it felt like my eyes were being massaged by marzipan fairies.

Felt i should get my opinion out. Yes, i would agree that mineing/smithing need a serious overhaul but i dont think this is the correct course of action. When i started out in runescape the idea of being able to make my own armor and weapons was hugely apealing but i soon learned that there were faster ways, i could make money and just buy what i wanted. I would like to see mid-high level players being able to smith customised equipment to suit their own needs. I know attempting this would open a massive can of worms but what we need is not more powerful weapons and armor but a greater diversity of useful equipment.

Thank you for expressing your opinion. I have to agree with you.

However, you must know that now it is way too late for that dream to be realized. Let's take a mid level player, or a low-high leveled player. Let's give him a combat of, oh, 80-90? What do you see him wearing? I personally imagine him wearing barrows or dragon. And there's the problem. There's already such high level, and powerful equipment made from non-smithing methods. So for smithing to compete, you'd have to give it even BETTER stats. And such powerful stats at such low levels is not balanced.

-The Armor will now be blessed by default. It will cut all damage by 20%. It will also further halve the damage taken every other hit, if it is by the disadvantaged combat style. However, its stats fall by 20% if it is hit by an advantaged combat style, and 10% every hit missed hit after that by the same combat style.

-To recharge the Armor and Weapons, you must obtain a special drop (Divine Icon) from the Guardians. It drops 1/50 times.

-To recharge the Armor, you also need a barrows item of the disadvantaged combat class

-To enter a designated area (eg. Divinite Mines), you must sacrifice a Spirit Cobra, and it must be summoned before sacrificed

-Rod of Life will now grant immunity instead of healing. This immunity lasts for 5 minutes. Immunity will block damage equal to damage the spell cast. So if you hit a 30, the next 30 damage you take is negated.

-Attempting the mine the rock gives you a chance of failing to extract the ore and an explosion to will damage you (similar to retired random event). The base level is now 50 (with all the level boosters) and the chance of extracting is 50%. Every level after, your chance improves by 1%. If you are wearing the skill cape, you cannot fail. (If you are 99 but not wearing it, you only have 99% chance.)

-To smithing Divinite, you need 1 Divinite Ore and 25 coal at 50 smithing. Every 2 levels after, you need 1 less coal. If you are wearing the skill cape, you need no coal. (If you are 99 but not wearing it, you still need 1 coal.)

Archmage and I worked on this a while ago, and I thought it was time to post it. Any questions/concerns? the point of this is to improve this idea to better accomplish the goal: to make smithing profitable again.

Edited into main post.

Edited into main post.

Good improvements in my opinion.

You have really edited and improved all the weapons and armor and other stuff very well such that they won't be overpowered or underpowered.

I'm failing to understand and failing to see if you know what I mean or not.

If the xp rates for making these things are high, like hundreds of xp per bar or whatever you were thinking would make people smith these often. Making the ore itself cost alot of money and ultimately, more than the created product yes?

So the ore, for example could be 50k? And a platebody would be somewhere around 180k, a 70k loss, because the xp is good.

However if the xp is bad when making these things people wont intend on using these to train smithing altogether, they would when they wanted money.

I'm failing to understand and failing to see if you know what I mean or not.

If the xp rates for making these things are high, like hundreds of xp per bar or whatever you were thinking would make people smith these often. Making the ore itself cost alot of money and ultimately, more than the created product yes?

So the ore, for example could be 50k? And a platebody would be somewhere around 180k, a 70k loss, because the xp is good.

However if the xp is bad when making these things people wont intend on using these to train smithing altogether, they would when they wanted money.

First of all Divine equipment was not given a high smithing xp yield in order to make lots of people smith them. They were given a high xp yield so it would make logical sense. If these items are so much stronger than rune, and require 10 levels higher to smith them, why should they be given any less xp than that of rune?

The xp rates are high. But consider that the Spirit Shields are similar and people do not buy Spirit Shields and sigils to repeatably make them for smithing xp.

However, you must know that now it is way too late for that dream to be realized. Let's take a mid level player, or a low-high leveled player. Let's give him a combat of, oh, 80-90? What do you see him wearing? I personally imagine him wearing barrows or dragon. And there's the problem. There's already such high level, and powerful equipment made from non-smithing methods. So for smithing to compete, you'd have to give it even BETTER stats. And such powerful stats at such low levels is not balanced.

Im not talking about competing so much as diversifying at the current level. You are right there is already a lot of powerful equipment out there but what we have to avoid is a cold-war style arms race with every major update being expected to increase the hitting power of players which will only result in an over-abundance of super weapons. Perhaps using smithing for the creation of high-end armors that negate the dramatic effect the current weapons can have is a viable alternative?

2e2f7zn.jpg1z5oswz.jpg14kktmv.png

2nhpyqv.jpg

sy9rti.jpg

It was so colourful, dudes, that it felt like my eyes were being massaged by marzipan fairies.

Im not talking about competing so much as diversifying at the current level. You are right there is already a lot of powerful equipment out there but what we have to avoid is a cold-war style arms race with every major update being expected to increase the hitting power of players which will only result in an over-abundance of super weapons. Perhaps using smithing for the creation of high-end armors that negate the dramatic effect the current weapons can have is a viable alternative?

Quite true. There has to be more originality and creativity when creating weapons and armor, such that they don't overpower it and make it the supreme weapon of the supreme weapons. RuneScape is unique from most other MMOs, in the way that every update they don't just put in new armor and weapons that are overly overpowered.

I dont like the wgs requirment for it. I know many people with high mining levels/smithing levels that are not really questers. Taking this into consideration, maybe place it somewhere else, with an easier quest requirment?

2eed07l.png

Tip.It's Official Undercover Agent

I dont like the wgs requirment for it. I know many people with high mining levels/smithing levels that are not really questers. Taking this into consideration, maybe place it somewhere else, with an easier quest requirment?

Note it's no longer high level smiths. Level 50 miners and smithers can mine and smelt the ore. The Quest requirement insures that there's not too much of an overflow.

I now support this fully. :D

The idea of going from 1-100% finally gives 99 Mining a purpose.

Great idea Zaaps.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Many of the ideas added were provided by Archimage_a, btw.