[Updated 9 Dec] Reviving Smithing : Divinite

Zaaps1

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All is fine but TO MANY weapons atleast 1 or 3 MAX, also you gotta give a reason not a ''we need an update on mining'' like a runescape history reason, dragon weapons means dragonkin so this Divine has to have a reason i mean guthix has a magic power not weapon... but overral is good.

spy2j.jpg

All is fine but TO MANY weapons atleast 1 or 3 MAX, also you gotta give a reason not a ''we need an update on mining'' like a runescape history reason, dragon weapons means dragonkin so this Divine has to have a reason i mean guthix has a magic power not weapon... but overral is good.

Well I've stated this before. I don't except all of these weapons to make it. But the more I suggest, the more likely they are of getting through. Plus, dragon was strong for its time, and we have a lot of that. Point being, however, that Jagex will cut and paste what they see fit, not the idea as a whole.

The history reason would be that the Stone of Jas transformed the rocks below it, giving it magical qualities. This sets it up for the next GM quest. Since the Stone can make mere rocks THIS powerful, what could it do to a Mahjarrat? What kind of powers could Lucien have then? Guthix then placed an altar there to guard these resources, but allowed methods for the faithful to pass. Still, Guthix added guardians, similar to the Balance Elemental, to guard the rocks and other locations, just in case. Plus, not everything needs a deep storyline. Take the ZMI altar for instance. Nothing is mentioned of the Zamorak Magic Institute before the altar; it just popped into being with a basic explanation.

Well I've stated this before. I don't except all of these weapons to make it. But the more I suggest, the more likely they are of getting through. Plus, dragon was strong for its time, and we have a lot of that. Point being, however, that Jagex will cut and paste what they see fit, not the idea as a whole.

The history reason would be that the Stone of Jas transformed the rocks below it, giving it magical qualities. This sets it up for the next GM quest. Since the Stone can make mere rocks THIS powerful, what could it do to a Mahjarrat? What kind of powers could Lucien have then? Guthix then placed an altar there to guard these resources, but allowed methods for the faithful to pass. Still, Guthix added guardians, similar to the Balance Elemental, to guard the rocks and other locations, just in case. Plus, not everything needs a deep storyline. Take the ZMI altar for instance. Nothing is mentioned of the Zamorak Magic Institute before the altar; it just popped into being with a basic explanation.

Pretty nice but still if this was going to make theres going to take a looong time to make.... i support.

spy2j.jpg

Pretty nice but still if this was going to make theres going to take a looong time to make.... i support.

Of course. I don't expect this to be out next month or even this year. But sooner is always better than later (for suggestions), am I right?

Wow :shock:

This was excellent to read. You have some real creative talent here zaaps

I read through all four pages at 2am after a few beers, so I apologise in advance if anything here isn't as well thought out as it should be.

The Deflect Spec

This gets me really excited. I think proactive use of the spec bar (or any attacks at all) is going to be important in the evolution of runescape's combat system. While maintaining the randomness that is it's trademark, more control needs to be given to the player - rather than just constantly reacting. Very nice.

Crescent of War

I do believe this is an idea that Jagex beat you to. Every indication is given in the quest Devious Minds that one day we'll be able to use a weapon like that we created (ground mithril sword, strung with a bowstring). Nonetheless, I think that it would be better kept to two combat styles. We've seen with the salamander that three in one weapon aren't particularly useful, and versatility in Runescape is less about being able to take on everything with one set up, as it is about maximising effectiveness against just a couple of enemies at once.

So the real requirements are 90/90/95. However, if you do not use Divinite, but do have a Guthix item, you get a 15 level bonus. If you do not use either, it's a 5 level bonus.

Why did I do this? To make sure there was a way to fit this into smithing without disrupting the current smithing tables. As I stated in the intro, I'm trying to change conventional smithing as LITTLE as possible.

Maybe I missed something, but doesn't this put the ability to smith Divine armour below the ability to smith rune platebody? There is a little room in the smithing tables as it is to compress levels required for items downwards (making more room up near the 99 levels), and I really like the idea of boosting your level above 99 to allow more options - there's a whole world of opportunity in how you receive that boost, not necessarily a straight 60/15/5 option but something similar to quest points, or even a side reward from another minigame (jagex does tend to love introducing minigames).. got a bit sidetracked there =/

I think the requirement could be higher than 90 (for mining as well as smithing). People will whine about it (as always), but considering the players who are going to be using this, 91 92 would be more appropriate IMO (90 isn't *that* difficult a level to get. On the flipside, this does require multiple 90s in two of the more difficult skills.) Food for thought.

DIVINE BALL AND CHAIN (10)

-A huge ball and chain. It's very slower, slower than a 2h and the Barrelchest Anchor. It only uses Crush attacks

Seems to me that a huge ball and chain would be a very tiring weapon to use. Since you've got a great range of concept weapons going here, why not explore some more concepts?

Runescape characters can slug away at each other for hours if they've got enough food and defence. It always made sense to me that really heavy weapons (which co-incidentally hit the highest) could have the drawback of a strength or attack drain. Say you're fighting with this flail, your max hit is 60. Each time you land a hit over 40, your strength or attack is drained by one.

Obviously the hits and requirements could be altered, but the idea is the same. Weapons designed for short, hard fights, that you're going to have to plan for if you think the fight may end up drawn out. More food =P

I don't think it was mentioned, but what is the respawn time you're thinking of for these Divine rocks?

Not sure what I think about this really, there's more factors than my head will work with right now.. hehe.

If I've understood this properly, there's three steps to making a Divine piece of equipment:

Mine the ore - Requires a five minute trip to the guthix caves, with a pickaxe, combat equipment, spade, etc. limiting your free inventory space. For each piece of ore you mine, you fight a lvl 210 Elemental.

Smelt the ore - Requires 13 pieces of ore to smith (12coal/1divine), meaning you can only smith one bar per trip. You also have to have the supplies to fight the lvl 270 Vulcan.

Smith the ore - Take your bars to the anvil, fight the 270 (I take it the hammer is a rare drop, should it be non-tradeable?)

Bless the product - quick trip to GWD with necessary god items.

Just making sure I've got it right

How does the 210 elemental work when you have multiple people mining a rock? Do you get six elementals, or does the earth one use multi-combat attacks (similar to ancient magic)?

(I can see a few problems with that, but my train of thought is jumping between three ideas and I can't put anything coherent down, sorry)

This seems to be a really good way of making the armour itself harder to smith - rather than just sticking a high requirement on it, you have a long and complicated process to accomplish something. Short of the elemental mind equipment, this is something I feel should be used more in rs. As such, I think BOB's could be disallowed in the Temple of Guthix - running in with a Pack Yak would really throw this process down the gurgler. You would also make the only option to leave the anvils an item/spell teleport, or a teleport right back to the light creatures at the top of the cave - so you can't just drop all your coal in front of the Stone of Jas, smith, run back for your coal, and repeat.

I'm probably getting too detailed here in the suggestions =/

You made a point in the comments

Think of it like 91 rc right now. It's a great moneymaker, and it is often the incentive people have to raise rc. If you couldn't make double natures, how many people would have 91 rc then?

Of course you're completely right about the incentive to raise rc, but consider why it is a moneymaker. Nats are used to alch by an incredible amount of players of all levels. The mechanic of crafting nats to make money (and having the price sustained over a long period of time), is rather different to the mechanic of rare item prices. I don't know enough to predict how the price would turn out, but I can guess that a rare item craftable from scratch (unlike the amulet of fury, where you have to buy the onyx) will be very dependant on the availability of ore, the number of people with the time and skills to produce the equipment compared to the number of people who want the equipment, and what people are prepared to pay for it. Too rare and it becomes.. train of thought lost.

Divine shields - too highly priced to be useful as equipment. They've just become a status symbol, because they're ridiculously unobtainable.

Need to look at this as a money-making method. You're talking about making a select few people very rich, I can't think how to elaborate on that right now, but it's a problem.

The HandCannon

Any type of gun-themed weapon seems to be frowned upon in rs. Yes, cannons were available in the renaissance, but they were massive hardly-portable objects (sound familiar?). Miniaturising this into a gun with the speed and strength of a bow (since the distance of a shot is not a factor in RS) is not something that could be done within the theme really. Consider that muskets had to be manually reloaded after each shot, and weren't more powerful (at close range) than a crossbow bolt. I think most peoples main objection to guns in rs is the assumption that they use gunpowder, or explosive propellant. This seems to be the invisible line for handheld weapons.

I'm not sure how the physical design of this would work, but after thinking for a while I believe this could be created (For example if a team was given the concept and told to work it into the game) as a post-wgs quest-type-thing (Like the adze, the requirements are too high to have as an actual quest, but I'm not saying it should be in anyway integrated with WGS - you just need the infrastructure. [there I go again, getting too detailed]). Involving Divine smithing, dwarven engineering, and elven magic, you could create a weapon that worked somewhat like a slingshot - using the same elven magic that strings the crystal bow to propel the projectile from an implement which integrates the divine metal with the elven crystal.

It's not really related to your suggestion, but I thought it was worth mentioning..

Also, the handcannon would need a name that makes it sound less like an oversized flare gun shooting cannonballs.

The blessed vials as ammo are a good idea, but they are an absolute pain in the buttocks to make in quantity, and need an update as to what they work on. A friend of mine made a bunch to use, only to find out that they don't work on tormented demons.

Lastly, just a little nitpick

All is fine but TO MANY weapons atleast 1 or 3 MAX, also you gotta give a reason not a ''we need an update on mining'' like a runescape history reason, dragon weapons means dragonkin so this Divine has to have a reason i mean guthix has a magic power not weapon... but overral is good

To my knowledge, the dragonkin, and the origin of the metal dragon weapons are made from, weren't introduced until that quest about the cat in.. mental blank. The town with the warriors guild, and later elaborated on while getting your Creme Brulee Supreme flambeed during RFD.

Once again, I apologise if anything here isn't coherent enough.

You've really done an excellent job on this suggestion. I appreciate the time, thought, and effort that goes into writing something like this. I don't realistically expect that any of this will ever be introduced, but my personal hope is that somebody from a Jagex content team will read it and be inspired to better their own work, or create something similiar based on the groundwork you have laid out.

+173 Kudos to you

*Accepts Kudos* :thumbsup:

Thanks for your reply! I'll address what you've brought up one by one.

CRES OF WAR: True, but it's the only option left that I could think of. If I made this a melee weapon, it would just be unbalanced. If it just included 2 types, it would be unbalanced.

LEVEL REQ: True, it's lower than the plate. But if the requirement is TOO high, then that would cut into how much this update would help. Also, remember that the Dragon Platebody takes 90-ish smithing to make, the Square shield 60 smithing to make, and I think it's 85 smithing to attach sigils to Spirit Shields.

BALL AND CHAIN: That's a good idea. It would really be a balancing factor.

THE PROCESS: You're mostly right, except you don't HAVE to fight the guy. If you don't fight the guardian, you can simply mine/smelt/smith with it attacking you. Each person spawns a different Guardian, who will only attack his target.

FAMILIARS: I don't think familiars will be a problem. You can only give a BoB an item worth less than 60k, so you couldn't give it any Divinite ores or bars. The most you could get it to do is hold coal (speeding up the smelting process, which is probably the longest) and more supplies. I was thinking about your teleport idea as well. What do you think of this? There's a portal there, however if you go through it, it will halve your prayer and teleport you randomly to one area (above ground that you have access to) in Runescape.

ON RARITY AND RESPAWN RATE: I'm thinking of a respawn rate of about...45-60 minutes, depending on world size. Seems long enough for me, given that run is 12-24 minutes. This means every hour, there is the potential of about 100 new ores entering the market. I think this will keep it rare enough to cost a lot, but not so rare that its cost will be through-the-roof (after the initial craze).

HAND-CANNON: I couldn't think of a better name for a powerful ranged weapon, so I chose Handcannon. Slingshot sounds a little weak to me, and I really can't get anything else. That's why I chose it, and justified by choice with the fact that it's during the Renaissance. I think Runescape is advanced enough to accept this idea. Telescopes were a 16th and 17th Century invention. By that time they had muskets. Remember this isn't a 1 handed weapon, and you do have to reload pretty often. Not as often as the rl musket, of course, since reloading every shot would just make this impractical.

• 4 weeks later...

I like the idea, and relish the thought of new high lvl weapons.. although.

I don't think the weapons should be made tradeable... I know your original intention was to revive money-making for smithing, although there are too many people who will find a way to take advantage of this + the amount of money that people have nowadays will play a big part in this. The materials sound hard to get, but in the long run, for the amount of damage they do I think they're a little too powerful.

I fully support the idea of these high powered weapons BUT there needs to be something else.. something to make it so that only the most dedicated and not the richest player can get hold of these weapons.

I like the idea, and relish the thought of new high lvl weapons.. although.

I don't think the weapons should be made tradeable... I know your original intention was to revive money-making for smithing, although there are too many people who will find a way to take advantage of this + the amount of money that people have nowadays will play a big part in this. The materials sound hard to get, but in the long run, for the amount of damage they do I think they're a little too powerful.

I fully support the idea of these high powered weapons BUT there needs to be something else.. something to make it so that only the most dedicated and not the richest player can get hold of these weapons.

That's true, and I know what you're saying. However, if this update was made exclusively for the people who smithed it, it wouldn't be a smithing update. It would be a high-level combat update, and would infact be much more overpowering that what the current status of the suggestion is.

Think of it this way. You need 95 smithing to make the equipment. If I said that they weren't tradeable, that means you would (indirectly) need 95 smithing to wield the equipment, as well.

I also said that the reason why the weapons are so strong is because they are balanced out by strong armor. If a weapon deals out 20% more damage on average, but the corresponding armor cancels out 20% of all damage received, then the weapon's strength is canceled out by the armor, so it is not overpowered.

Now that being said. If 95 smithing was a requirement to wield the weapons, then it wouldn't be a battle of combat, it would be a battle of smithing. Ultimately, whoever has the higher smithing level would win, which makes no sense, but that would in fact be the consequence.

That's why I chose to make them tradeable, plus with a cash incentive, people tend to be much more motivated.

I like this, however there should be a way to bypass the Guthix Elemental

I.E. Someone with 95+ Mining can mine Divinite(sp) without "awaking" the Guthix Elemental, honestly that would even further solve the problem, 90 Mining accesses a new ore, and 95 allows mining without a large monster trying to slaughter you.

Just a thought

I.E. Someone with 95+ Mining can mine Divinite(sp) without "awaking" the Guthix Elemental, honestly that would even further solve the problem, 90 Mining accesses a new ore, and 95 allows mining without a large monster trying to slaughter you.

Just a thought

It's there mostly for danger purposes. If you think about others way to get tough equipment, you need to kill dangerous monsters. That's not the case, so to prevent this from being TOO easy, there must be some danger.

Just a thought

It's there mostly for danger purposes. If you think about others way to get tough equipment, you need to kill dangerous monsters. That's not the case, so to prevent this from being TOO easy, there must be some danger.

I understand it being there for danger, but if you limit the ability to mine the ore to high combat levels AND a high mining level, the supply would be ridiculously low.

Maybe you could make it to where a high thieving, agility AND mining level could prevent death by Guthix Elemental.

Three melee 90s is about 16M experience, and 95 Mining is about 9M experience, so if you had a a requirement of 95 Mining, 85 Agility and 85 Thieving, which also equals about 16M experience, it would be a "skillers" alternative to having to fight huge bosses.

Just a thought

I understand it being there for danger, but if you limit the ability to mine the ore to high combat levels AND a high mining level, the supply would be ridiculously low.

Maybe you could make it to where a high thieving, agility AND mining level could prevent death by Guthix Elemental.

Three melee 90s is about 16M experience, and 95 Mining is about 9M experience, so if you had a a requirement of 95 Mining, 85 Agility and 85 Thieving, which also equals about 16M experience, it would be a "skillers" alternative to having to fight huge bosses.

Not really, since it's multicombat. But the monsters only attack their target. So if you bring a friend, he or she can kill the one monster that spawns while you can mine in peace. Plus you don't need to kill them. You can mine, but you'll just be attacked at the same time.

Thanks for the posts.

I think we can agree that against anyone with high enough levels to wield these items, a level 3 skiller would get destroyed, even if it was a bronze dagger.

• 2 weeks later...

*sigh* Seems like another thing that will destroy the RS economy... Anyone remember when the whip was considered the god of weapons? Or you were filthy rich if you wore a D Med helm?

Make 2 Changes to these items:

1: Tradable, but not tradable on the Grand Exchange (Like the candle from Hero's Quest)

2: Make it so YOU CANNOT BRING IT INTO PVP WORLDS! D CLAWS ARE NERFED!

And thats about it =P~

There are three sides to any argument: your side, my side and the right side.

RS BILLYMAYS.png

*sigh* Seems like another thing that will destroy the RS economy... Anyone remember when the whip was considered the god of weapons? Or you were filthy rich if you wore a D Med helm?

Make 2 Changes to these items:

1: Tradable, but not tradable on the Grand Exchange (Like the candle from Hero's Quest)

2: Make it so YOU CANNOT BRING IT INTO PVP WORLDS! D CLAWS ARE NERFED!

And thats about it =P~

Not destroy the economy, just redirect a portion of it. Just because there are new items, doesn't mean that the prices of everything else will rise or fall (like the newest PvP artifacts updates threatens). It just means that more people will want to spend money of these items.

I don't follow your logic. I don't see how number 1 will help at all, and I don't see how number 2 supports the point of this idea. Plus, it's fine in PvP worlds because of reasons stated in the post.

Sounds nice :thumbsup: if a wee bit overpowered (do we really need more Godsword-type weapons?), but I do have a little problem.

The divine staff special, besides being a tad overpowered, makes no sense on a mathematical level, since halving something is in fact moving it closer to 0. Therefore, minus numbers would be HIGHER, and (i don't know anything about rs coding, guessing from what I've heard of computers) making an 'if then' situation might make the computer explode. And if not THAT, then 0 magic defence definitely will.

A concrete subtraction on its own should be enough to kick someone HARD, and would really put a nasty little damper on those irritating dragonhiders (which I freely admit I am a part of, I just have the unfortunately not very common ability to see most sides of the issue. Besides, I don't really care. Much.)

Edit: Or it could subtract half the defence stat total! That wouldn't make the poor math-savant computer explode, and it would still have the 'halving' thing but it actually makes SENSE.

Example: +10 goes to +5, -10 goes to -15. +20 goes to +10, -20 goes to -30.

Balance may be power, but chaos is still pretty damn fun.

Lielac.png

Canada can't be second rate, polar bears are their main mode of transportation.

I'm not very good at programming, but I'd imagine I'd only be 2 "if then" statements:

If magic defense is <0, then double magic defense

If magic defense is >0, then halve magic defense

But in all honesty, it's stuff like this that Jagex should decide if it's possible, not the players. I respect (and appreciate) you bringing this up, but I think that Jagex knows if they can do it or not. If not, I'm sure they can just halve the level like you suggested.

• 2 weeks later...
To smelt the ore, you sacrifice 1 snakehide and 50 feathers of any type at the Altar of Guthix. Then go to the center and perform the flap emote. You will be risen to the heavens among the clouds.

Are you a troll? :shame:

If so; Good Show.

If not; Enjoyed reading it, but I don't think that the level requirements and process length are enough to compensate for how OMFGWTFBBQHAX overpowered the weapons are. Even if it took a day to smelt one, said weapons would render the user extremely powerful - perhaps too powerful.

'Tis I, 'tis Vindice, 'tis I!