Can I Install Operating Systems on External HD?

That's because it's a fat32 drive, the filesize can only go up to around 4GB for any give file. You're going to have to either cut your iso file in parts, or to format the drive to NTFS. If you want to format, though, make sure it's not one of those you buy already in the case and all and that has programs with it, because it's going to break something on your case. I experienced that, had one from staples, fried the case because I tried formatting to NTFS. Bought a new case and there we go. Anyway, now it's going directly in the computer.

That's because it's a fat32 drive, the filesize can only go up to around 4GB for any give file. You're going to have to either cut your iso file in parts, or to format the drive to NTFS. If you want to format, though, make sure it's not one of those you buy already in the case and all and that has programs with it, because it's going to break something on your case. I experienced that, had one from staples, fried the case because I tried formatting to NTFS. Bought a new case and there we go. Anyway, now it's going directly in the computer.

What do you mean already in the case? My dad got it brand new, it didn't have any programs or anything on it because a hidden autorun file. Is it safe to format to NTFS?

Are you using USB or e-SATA?

I wouldn't install an operating system on an external drive though, it will be too slow to make the communications between the computer and the external drive.

As far as I know, it can be done.

Someone I know once mentioned running a Unix system from an external drive. However, Linux OS are much smaller and simpler than Windows OS, so I doubt any regular Ex. HD's are capable of running such a fat system as W7.

Try it if you like, I'm not certain. Best of luck! ::'

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/installing ... ard-drive/

Here's a tutorial that tells you what you need to know. However, Ubuntu 8.10 is the latest version and I recommend using that in stead.

I would partition 16gb for windows 7 at most.

What? That leaves almost no space for other application. I would partition 30GB for Windows 7, but I don't recommend windows on external hard drive, especially on something as slow as usb.

What? That leaves almost no space for other application. I would partition 30GB for Windows 7, but I don't recommend windows on external hard drive, especially on something as slow as usb.

What about Firewire? Couldn't I buy a miniUSB to Firewire and have it run faster?

Sorry I meant 16gb on top of the required 16gb so 32gb total.

tFtfA.jpg

What about Firewire? Couldn't I buy a miniUSB to Firewire and have it run faster?

Nope, becuase it is limited by the USB cable itself, even if it is connecting to the computer through another connector.

----------------

Listening to: The All-American Rejects - Night Drive

Steam | PM me for BBM PIN

Nine naked men is a technological achievement. Quote of 2013.

PCGamingWiki - Let's fix PC gaming!