Surfing

SwordKing

(Made a search on this, couldn't find any specific threads relating to the sport)

This summer I'm going on a surfing trip to Spain, for 10 days. This is my first time surfing in my life. I'm really looking forward to it!

Has anyone here ever surfed, and if you have, how was your first experience? Others tips also appreciated^^

Oh, and I have contacts, will that be a problem while surfing?

Well lets put it this way: I didnt wax my board enough on my first time. Needless to say I never tried it again.

The key is to "Get in the Groove" sort of speak. Sounds Cliche` i know but follow through with waves, Enjoy yourself and don't be afraid to fall off. It WILL happen, but you'll lessen the chance the more you have fun and enjoy it, And I hope you enjoy your trip. ::'

Popoto.~<3

Well lets put it this way: I didnt wax my board enough on my first time. Needless to say I never tried it again.

The key is to "Get in the Groove" sort of speak. Sounds Cliche` i know but follow through with waves, Enjoy yourself and don't be afraid to fall off. It WILL happen, but you'll lessen the chance the more you have fun and enjoy it, And I hope you enjoy your trip. ::'

What happened? :)

Haha, and I know I'm going to fall of. A lot. And hard. Looking forward to it though :D

The wax I used was a very horrid brand, and washed away from the strong Tide. after i lost my grip I went head first into a Female Surfer. She Laughed it off (Thank GOD!) but from embarrasment I quit. I think i'll stick to Skateboarding instead.

Popoto.~<3

Ditch the surfboard, grab a bodyboard.

If you're only there for 10 days a bodyboard will be so much easier to pick up and you'll still have outrageous fun :]

Also if the surf isn't too big go in with no board and bodysurf, amazing fun, but you get pounded ALOT if the wave is badly formed.

But hey enjoy yourself hopefully the weather is nice and the surf is big, don't know what spains like :]

And one last comment on the contacts, my dads friend wears them into the surf, i wouldn't reccomend it. Me and my dad both have glasses and just take them off in the surf, which isn't bad at all, but maybe your eyesite is worse :D

Did you know half the worlds population is below average intelligence?

33krrlj.jpg

The wax I used was a very horrid brand, and washed away from the strong Tide. after i lost my grip I went head first into a Female Surfer. She Laughed it off (Thank GOD!) but from embarrasment I quit. I think i'll stick to Skateboarding instead.

And you didn't like it? :o

Just kidding lol.

Hmm, those friends told me they kept on falling too, and one of them was afraid and ended up being the last to get somewhere on such. So yeah, don't be afraid, but don't be too courageous either. It's kinda like jumping from a platform. If you stand somewhere 2m high, but are too afraid, you'll end up never jumping. But if you do get the courage to jump, the adrenaline will make you want to jump again :). But to continue this example, if you stand on another platform 10m high, it's better to know that jumping off would kill you/seriously hurt you instead of being too courageous and jumping.

I have tried it before, and it was difficult.. I grew up in Missouri so no oceans near here tho -.- ... good luck with trying to learn it and don't quit ::'

Masta Chef

archsupportei2.png

Drops-- Dragon: Medium(2),Spear(1),Legs(2),Skirt(1)

Pharaoh's Scepter(1)

Barrows items(10 total)

I won't be able to see my feet lol.

But what's the big difference between a normal surfboard and a bodyboard? I'm guessing the shape is bigger/wider thus giving you more control?

Well yeah where your contacts in, just remember not to open your eyes underwater :]

And i bodyboard is wider and the sides and heaps shorter, and you don't have to stand up so it's miles easier :D

Another bonus is if there is big surf there you can go out further alot sooner than you would on a surfboard, because it feels alot easier to catch a big wave lying down than standing up :)

But if you want to surf, surf, i'm sure it will be heaps of fun.

Did you know half the worlds population is below average intelligence?

33krrlj.jpg

I live in Huntington Beach, CA aka "Surf City", and i've been surfing for about 6 years now.

And i can tell you, it's awesome. :thumbsup:

Even the first time, not really knowing how yo catch anything is fun.

My advice: Don't worry about not being able to catch an actual wave on your first day. The first time I ever surfed I caught whitewash (wait until the wave breaks, stay more inland) and it was still plenty hard. It took me about a week to actually be able to ride a wave straight in, let alone actually ride it sideways and not just tanking it into the shore. ::'

Oh, and if you can, softboards (they're made of like really thick foam) are great for learning on, cause you'll just be so flipping buoyant.

Enjoy it! Don't get frustrated if it takes you a couple days. Once you're doing it, it loads of fun. \'

P.S. I'm not sure about Spain, but make sure not to steal peoples waves, and running into them is a no-no... #-o

"To all you youngsters reading this, if you are under 25 STOP PLAYING THIS GAME RIGHT NOW. Life is to short and you are only that young once. Trust me when i say this, take advantage of the girls now. Once they are 25+ and have been around a few times they arnt dumb anymore, the fun is all over."

--BAHAHAHAHAHAH.

Just don't try and go for the biggest wave you've ever seen first time. :lol:

Start off just riding straight inland. First day you'll probably suck, but the second day it will probably (and hopefully) feel like a revelation. It should be a lot easier.

So don't let anyone tell you you're not worth the earth,

These streets are your streets, this turf is your turf,

Don't let anyone tell you that you've got to give in,

Cos you can make a difference, you can change everything,

Just let your dreams be your pilot, your imagination your fuel,

Tear up the book and write your own damn rules,

Use all that heart, hope and soul that you've got,

And the love and the rage that you feel in your gut,

And realise that the other world that you're always looking for,

Lies right here in front of us, just outside this door,

And it's up to you to go out there and paint the canvas,

After all, you were put on the earth to do this,

So shine your light so bright that all can see,

Take pride in being whoever the [bleep] you want to be.

Never been to a beach with big enough waves to try to surf, probably fail at it though, I'm kinda dirty at skim-boarding though, even though I'm sure the two aren't related at all other then water aha.

21ed8x.jpg

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

I thought this was a thread suggesting a surfing skill. :lol: Nevermind, then. I can't surf.

TIF-SIG-PREVAIL.jpg

IRC Nick: Hiroki | 99 Agility | Max Quest Points | 138 Combat

Bandos drops: 20 Hilt | 22 Chestplate | 21 Tassets | 14 Boots

• 2 weeks later...

I went on school camp last year like around early December-ish. & we went surfing only for about 2-3 hours sadly.

And, well let's put it this way. I'm unfortunately extremely unco-ordinated, like sometimes walking is a challenge. And even I managed to stand up a few times. :thumbsup: We only surfed on white water and you get totally owned by the waves when your board smashes into you leaving your ribs veeeery sore -.- but yeah, it's honestly really fun. Just when you see a big wave awhile back, paddle like hell and try catch it. & don't walk into the waves with your board infront of you, cos' ofcourse.. bruised ribs.

It's incredibly fun when you catch the wave though, for a few seconds you're like "WOAAAAAAH" -and then you bail. Aahaha. Tell me how it went.

This photo was taken right before I fell off. :XD:

standingup.png

We'll sneak out while they sleep

And sail off in the night.

We'll come clean and start over the rest of our lives.

When we're gone, we'll stay gone.

Out of sight, out of mind.

It's not too late,

We have the rest of our lives.

ive tried surfing a little bit. i had 2 days of it, on the second one i was getting to stand up and (sometimes) turn a little. i still fell off alot.

surfing is pretty fun tho. but i got sunburnt >_<

I'm gonna be walking down an alley in varrock, and walka is going to walk up to me in a trench coat and say "psst.. hey man, wanna buy some sara brew"

walka92- retired with 99 in attack, strength, defence, health, magic, ranged, prayer and herblore and 137 combat. some day i may return to claim 138 combat, but alas, that time has not yet come

Don't even try to hang 10 on 5'5 board.

Actually if this is your first time surfing, you shouldn't be concerned with that.

Apparantly my friends who surf regularly tell me it's easier when the water isn't bastardly cold. So yeah, good luck with it.