Metal Dragon Guide Discussion

• 4 weeks later...

Having viewed your Iron/Steel killing guide, I would like to suggest an update regarding ranging the Iron/Steel dragons. I believe that people who wish to range these massive beasts should have 75+ range, a rune crossbow, and take a bolt pouch with up to 255 of each of these bolts in:

Ruby (e) [very useful if your hp is around 25-50% of max, as you will lose less hp and I've seen these bolts hit a whopping 29 on the Iron Dragons, they'll hit more on steel!]

Diamond (e) [this bolt will negate a nice large chunk of range defence if you see it's special]

Pearl (e) [a dragon is a fiery beast, so is hit more often by this special attack]

Emerald (e) [5 damage poison that strikes more frequently than normal poison]

If you wish for me to include screengrabs please let me know and I can place them on this board.

Thanks in advance.

I would recommend the following armour set (perhaps replacing Guthix Dragonhide set with Karil's):

recommended_range_equipment_fury.png

Cost:

• [*:pbkndflt]With Guthix Dragonhide: 3M

[*:pbkndflt]With Karil's Set (no crossbow): 4M

However if money is a little tight this will also work:

recommended_range_equipment_glory.png

Cost: 250K

I would recommend you take a bolt pouch with these types of bolts in (remember you can hold up to 255 of each in the pouch):

recommended_bolts.png

You CAN replace the Pearl Bolts (e) with Broad-tipped Bolts provided you have 55+ slayer (Broad-tipped bolts CAN also be stored in the bolt pouch).

Bolt prices:

• [*:pbkndflt]Broad: 65gp each

[*:pbkndflt]Emerald: 200gp each

[*:pbkndflt]Ruby: 300gp each

[*:pbkndflt]Diamond: 500gp each

[*:pbkndflt]Pearl: Not 100% sure, I believe around 70gp each

Leeds

TSAJoinButton.gif

Rangers use antifire potions which protect them completely from the dragons' attacks, so I don't think expensive gear like Guthix or Karil's are needed (players should focus on offensive bonuses only). Setup pictures of Armadyl (the expensive setup) and Black Dragonhide + Coif/Archer Helm (budget setup) would probably be the most useful. Also, for most players, the Glory amulet will be the best option, since an extra 2.6m is not really worth it for the small bonus increase.

The bolt recommendations are good, I completely agree. The guides need some updating ;)

Want to help the Tip.It Crew? Visit the Website Updates & Corrections forum!

The god dragonhide has no extra bonuses over standard black dragonhide. I'm also accounting for those without much bankspace. God dragonhide stores in the player owned house. However I don't have Armadyl, I can't afford it. But my Guthix should remain for strong budgets (300k to 500k). Karils can be abolished. Someone get a picture in Armadyl please? I'll ensure you are credited. Black dragonhide will work for extremely low budgets (under 50k). This Guthix stuff was posted after 1 visit to the Steel and Iron drags for Achievement Diary. But it worked really well so I decided to suggest it. Also, rather than antifire potions I took antifire mixes. So a bit of hp incase a melee or breath attack managed to hit me.

Leeds

TSAJoinButton.gif

• 2 months later...

Hi

I think this is a great guide, but i also think this guide need a update to include range weapon set up and summoning.

Summoning creatures for the use of bob to extend the time u can stay at the dragons, And Bunyip or Unicorn stallion for the life thy help restore.

And the recommended level needed for this to work with the recommended and minimum gear setup.

[hide=here is my range setup]2zxpkro.png

Not the best setup i know but its the best i can do till someone updates the guide[/hide]

Ps: Thanks for all the great guides.

LMAO

#-o Slayer helm/black mask only boosts attack and strength and has no effect on range.

Although I agree this and pretty much 70% of the guides do need updating.

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Dragon Boots x4 - all less then 30 kc
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

Solo only - doesn't include barrows[/hide][hide=Stats]

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

LMAO

#-o Slayer helm/black mask only boosts attack and strength and has no effect on range.

i had a slayer task of iron dragons that why i used the slayer helm

LMAO

i had a slayer task that why i used the slayer helm

The boost you get from a slayer helm or black mask ie the extra accuracy and damage when on a task only effect melee.

Its like wearing a salve amulet while ranging zombies, it does nothing.

There are so many better range helmets you could have worn.

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Dragon Boots x4 - all less then 30 kc
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

Solo only - doesn't include barrows[/hide][hide=Stats]

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

The boost you get from a slayer helm or black mask ie the extra accuracy and damage when on a task only effect melee.

Its like wearing a salve amulet while ranging zombies, it does nothing.

There are so many better range helmets you could have worn.

o sorry my bad i am new to using range for slayer tasks thanks for the advice.

Yes, sorry, it is indeed totally outdated. The pictures are outdated, the methods are outdated, the outfits are outdated, even the writing style is outdated! I'll start discussion with the other crewbies about it. Don't expect anything soon though, crewbies are just volunteers and the speed depends a lot on how much time people have and how eager people are to do it. (It's not fun totally rewriting a guide which you don't want to.)

When everything's been said and done, more has been said than done.

All skills 80+

angel2w.gif

Yes, sorry, it is indeed totally outdated. The pictures are outdated, the methods are outdated, the outfits are outdated, even the writing style is outdated! I'll start discussion with the other crewbies about it. Don't expect anything soon though, crewbies are just volunteers and the speed depends a lot on how much time people have and how eager people are to do it. (It's not fun totally rewriting a guide which you don't want to.)

Thank u and take your time quietly takes time and i only wanted to bring this to someones attention.

Thanks for bringing this up, it's definitely something that needs updating :).

Currently I am working on updating all of the monster hunting guides to include multiple setups/styles, method descriptions (as current as possible), and possibly a more helpful format.

This will take a bit of time, but this post is just to let you know I am working on it ;).

Thanks for bringing this up, it's definitely something that needs updating :).

Currently I am working on updating all of the monster hunting guides to include multiple setups/styles, method descriptions (as current as possible), and possibly a more helpful format.

This will take a bit of time, but this post is just to let you know I am working on it ;).

Thank u and take your time to bring a great guid to tip.it.

Here is my slayer dragon setup with crossbow.

r7kthg.png

i use fire runes be course a fire staff gets in the way u have to click on it then click on the spell and as long as the dragons are aggressive u are risking of getting killed by the dragons wen auto attack is on, i use emerald e bolts be course i have over 10k off them but ruby e and diamond e is better.

The food is only there for in case of losing hp and 1 gp is a place holder.

Edit: Fix the pic the gp is supose to be 906, 875 to get in to the dungeon 30 for the ship trip and 1 gp place holder .

• 2 weeks later...

While reading the Iron/Steel Dragon guide, I noticed that there was no magic section (being that the person writing it hadn't tried all the magic possibilities and thought that it was not a very effective killing method). So I am just giving a basic magic addition, which I might (in the future) make more indepth.

For Magic users...

Recomended skills:

62+ magic

20+ defence

PLEASE NOTE:This is for using wave spells only, this does not include any ancient magiks, lunar, or god spells.

Use mystic robes (as they are cheap), or infinity if you don't mind the posiblity of losing that much money. Bring the best combonation staff you can use, and at least 500 blood runes. Also, bring the best one click/one space teleport you can have. Recomended being ardougne teleport, as it is right by a bank and on your way back to the dungeon. Bring 4-6 anti-fire pots and 2 swordfish or better. Bring a woodcutting axe you are prepared to drop and lose every trip, and equip an anti-dragon shield. Any cape will do, though a God Cape (not to be mistaken for a God Cloak) will be the best choice as it gives a 10+ magic bonus. When you are ready to make your first kill, drink a dose of anti-fire potion, and have at it with your best spell. This will give around 3k magic experience per dragon, and uses about 30-60 blood runes per dragon (depending on what spell you use). This is good profits, and in my opinion better than melee.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~END GUIDE~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As I had said before this is just a makeshift guide from memory, though all of the information given was acurate. I provide no screenshots as of now.

I enjoy playing the game to it's fullest and plan and helping others to do the same. As this is my first post (and possibly my last), I would like to say that though I would like to help out the other guides and make new ones, I cannot since I do not have all too much time on my hands free for that. Also, my ingame character is Kidkiller 86, and I have been playing for 6years (5 of those years being a free user).

deathsucks, don't do it.

Kidkiller 86

The current Metal Dragon guide is out dated, and magic is certainly a viable method for slaying them. We are working on updating these guides. Posts like this are excellent, this will help a great deal! :thumbup:

For more discussion on the updating of the Metal Dragon Hunting guide, there are these topics:

viewtopic.php?f=186&t=792940

viewtopic.php?f=186&t=783052

viewtopic.php?f=186&t=779916

Rest assured we are working on this and your help is GREATLY appreciated :).

i have a alternate root to get to the steel dragons .

[hide=Maps]From the bank to the shop to buy bronze axe 27gp, then from the shop to the cart 10gp for the ride

2a7z7yv.png

From the cart to the Brimhaven Dungeon 875gp to get in or no gp if u use the Karamja gloves threem911ub.png[/hide]

woah!!! made this post so long ago gathered quite a lot of dust but i see people brought it back... im playing as non members at this current time but when i get members and do slayer (fav skill) and get more irons and steels (unfortunatly still no visage even though thousands killed for tasks) ill post inv and stuff

OTMSigXD.png

I got a 74 iron dragon task and used my rage set up and got 237k in loot no major drops had 2 full antifire potions and 1 1 dose left after my task and used them to kill steel dragons.

[hide=Setup and loot]2dl89s.pngfckz6c.png[/hide][hide=74 iron dragon task]2rnhr9l.png[/hide]3 X rune limbs

1X rune full shield

The rest was adam armor and weapons.

• 3 months later...

Also advise 85+ range if you try to range metal drags, it takes too long otherwise; or mroe likely; use magic as you can kill them fast enuogh with it; I can't get any pics for the set-up sorry.

And try to include that a leaf-bladed sword is strong against metal dragons.

EAVnEYl.png

Visit my blog! Click the madness for more madness!

• 4 months later...

Hi and thanks for all of your information, we have discussed the range methods and decided that there are way too many personal opinions that melee is a much better way to kill them.

What has been known for quiet some time know is that all dragons are inherently weak to stab attack styles. We have added our new suggestions for inventories and gear setups here. http://www.tip.it/runescape/?page=metal_dragons.htm

What we have added.

-New setups for slayer tasks

-New setups for when not on a slayer task

-New setups for no antifre shield ONLY TO BE USED WITH SUPER ANTIFIRE POITONS

-Deep wild area with a map and spawn locations

-Kuradal's dungeon

Thanks again for all your input.

a4d6cf8282.png

100122210315.png